2023-2024 Mayo Clinic - Minnesota (Alix)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone on hold get an R, or was it all pre-hold?

Members don't see this ad.

Pre-II R for Minnesota track, complete 8/27, OOS and LM 78 (no hold)

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
My friend who is a current student said they love research, leadership, and teaching (and stats obv). But those three things are literally the strongest part of my app and I was placed on hold so I think it's a lot of luck too. Lotta competitive people and they can't take everyone, but all it takes is 1!
+1 for the hold and similar application profile. One of my II's is also from a place with a really notable research and teaching focus so who even knows what it is. My Why Mayo essay was also kinda trash lol, I was reaching for stuff to fill up the space and avoid coming way under the word count

Members don't see this ad :)
Just had my interviews, really wasn't feeling like myself. I went home to find I was running a toasty 102.7 (N=2 I had multiple thermometers). Don't know what I said but maybe it's better that way. Wish me luck 🙃

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
I’m not sure if there’s any point in speculating about this but I didn’t get out on hold or get a pre-II R yet and I was complete at the end of July. Does anyone have any ideas on whether this grey area is positive or negative?

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not sure if there’s any point in speculating about this but I didn’t get out on hold or get a pre-II R yet and I was complete at the end of July. Does anyone have any ideas on whether this grey area is positive or negative?
Same position but complete 8/10. My hopes are not high though lol

I am a re-applicant that applied to MCASOM (Rochester) last year. I received a pre-II R but wanted to drop a few tidbits of information that I retained to give people any kind of insight that may help.

-Applications are looked at and II's sent out in order of MCAT score (highest to lowest) [not confirmed, but confidently suspected based off of trends during the last two cycles].
-If you are put on a pre-II hold, it is incredibly unlikely, though not impossible, that you will get an interview.
-The only decisions that are sent out prior to the spring are R's. A's and WL decisions aren't sent out until around February.
-They gave pre-II R's to everyone still sitting on the pre-II Hold list sometime in late December.
-Interviews will most likely be virtual this year (or at least have a virtual option). [I personally emailed the ADCOM to ask this due to personal reasons]
-Those that got a virtual interview last year were sent a cool care package.
-Their "Day 2" is a set date after your interview (I believe the following Monday?). This isn't flexible and interviewees made it sound like you need to work your schedule around it. They also made it sound like it wasn't optional like it is with some other schools.
-No feedback is available for your application if you receive a WL or an R, either in email or in-person format.
-Updates aren't accepted until after you get an II, although some people broke this rule and then received an II last year
@InNeedOfHope here's a post a now deleted user made a couple years ago (21-22 school-specific thread). No clue on the accuracy or continuity of this information but they claim to have contacted admissions at some point.

Last edited:
For anyone who got the interview, how long did it take for you to get the Monday information session email and be contacted by the current students?

For anyone who got the interview, how long did it take for you to get the Monday information session email and be contacted by the current students?
I scheduled my interview on 8/9 for 9/21 and received my welcome session and my interview schedule email on 9/5

I scheduled my interview on 8/15 for this week and recieved my welcome session on 09/05 along with names of interviewers

Members don't see this ad :)
I am on my application and I don't see a hold anywhere in status... Is this where you guys are seeing that message?

last year i didn’t get a hold or R. Mayo is super communicative and they sent me an email telling me I was still under consideration. People later on in the cycle did get IIs after completing in July and most of them weren’t placed on hold. I think that email is pretty positive and not getting a hold or R is too! Means there’s still a decent chance :)

Reactions: 3 users
If you get a pre-II hold here while Rs have been given out, does it mean your application is at least somewhat competitive (for other schools too)? Asking this as someone with 45 apps and 0 invites so far

How would you rank your research for those who were invited to interviews? Similar to the impact factor if you have published research.
I had no publications

I got rejected last wave. Complete 8/9. My 525 friend got an interview like 5 days after he submitted and we submitted same day. I think it may be true that Mayo filters by stats

Placed on hold, complete 2 weeks ago. Does anyone know what this means/if the turnaround time is a good/bad sign?

• Care
Anyone who submitted in July still not hear anything?

Reactions: 2 users
+1 I have a 515 and I don't think they have given out interviews to any applicants in the "low-to-mid" stat range yet...
My friend got a II two weeks ago with a 512, Arizona campus so I’m sure they’ve looked at some of us low-mid mcats already

My friend got a II two weeks ago with a 512, Arizona campus so I’m sure they’ve looked at some of us low-mid mcats already
Me trying to cope because this is my top choice...

+1 I have a 515 and I don't think they have given out interviews to any applicants in the "low-to-mid" stat range yet...
on the opposite end of the stat spectrum and also haven't heard anything yet—I really do think that "no news is good news" considering that they dont mass reject at the end. I'm gonna stay smoking that hopium till thanksgiving

• Care
on the opposite end of the stat spectrum and also haven't heard anything yet—I really do think that "no news is good news" considering that they dont mass reject at the end. I'm gonna stay smoking that hopium till thanksgiving
This appears to be the case for multiple schools I'm applying to. If we keep dodging those Rs and holds we should be fine, right? Right?? 😅

• Love
OOS II! Complete 7/20 (selected MN campus as top priority w/ AZ campus as 2nd)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Congrats! If you're okay with sharing, what was the ballpark for your LizzyM, and would you say you have a research-heavy app? It seems that Mayo really values biomed research and it's not a huge focus on my app relative to some non-profit/policy stuff. Tho I was also complete this month, so I have a lot of waiting ahead of me lmao

Also does anyone know if Mayo equally judges you for your track choices? I talked a lot about the specific academic enrichment selectives that are exclusive to Rochester + family ties in the area, so idk if that puts me at a disadvantage at the other tracks
Thank you! My LM is ~75, and I do have a research heavy app. However, most of my research is in clinical research and not basic science research