2023-2024 Hackensack Meridian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
70k tuition is a big ask. I like their 3 year program idea, but they don’t have ortho as an option so not really a benefit to me
Ortho is an option for P3R; however, no Hackensack student has every historically matched into it as the program is too competitive (I asked about this during my interview day)

Members don't see this ad :)
To add to the "and is required" debate: they called to schedule my interview a few days ago and I directly asked the Admissions person if it was required. She said the Admissions day peice is but NOT the info session. Hopefully this eases some of your anxious minds 😂

Ortho is an option for P3R; however, no Hackensack student has every historically matched into it as the program is too competitive (I asked about this during my interview day)
I have emailed and spoken to many people at Hackensack who told me this is not so over the phone. They said it’s not an option. It will be in the future but they aren’t sure when and can’t promise me it will be available by the time I graduate but they expect it to be. But I don’t like things without gurantees

Reactions: 3 users
anyone still not hear ANYTHING?? interviewed 11/24 and the recent wave of WLs has me nearly accepting defeat. hmsom's cycle process is like unethical lol im tired of trying to make sense of it - it seems like they've "filled" the class except they're still interviewing and the groupme is only at 59

Reactions: 1 user
anyone still not hear ANYTHING?? interviewed 11/24 and the recent wave of WLs has me nearly accepting defeat. hmsom's cycle process is like unethical lol im tired of trying to make sense of it - it seems like they've "filled" the class except they're still interviewing and the groupme is only at 59
Same interviewed 11/15

I have emailed and spoken to many people at Hackensack who told me this is not so over the phone. They said it’s not an option. It will be in the future but they aren’t sure when and can’t promise me it will be available by the time I graduate but they expect it to be. But I don’t like things without gurantees
Even if it were true there is no guarntee that the program director would even entertain the idea of the P3R program with ortho. Urology is a competitive specialty that we have and they do not take P3R students (not to say they never would).

Same interviewed 11/15
Yeah nada here too. Ive totally lost interest in this school, I think it is very unprofessional how bad their communication has been so far and a pretty glaring red flag to how admin functions here.

Reactions: 1 users
What residency options DO the P3R students match into? I was not able to find an extensive list

Even if it were true there is no guarntee that the program director would even entertain the idea of the P3R program with ortho. Urology is a competitive specialty that we have and they do not take P3R students (not to say they never would).

It's unlikely to be P3R. The real question is can you get Ortho from HMS. From 2023 match list, 5 out of 90 matched Ortho. Of course this is only 1 year worth of stats and no indication of how many applied to Ortho, but it ain't bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah nada here too. Ive totally lost interest in this school, I think it is very unprofessional how bad their communication has been so far and a pretty glaring red flag to how admin functions here.

Going by this logic, I would have lost interest in 75% of the school I applied to.

Reactions: 4 users
It's unlikely to be P3R. The real question is can you get Ortho from HMS. From 2023 match list, 5 out of 90 matched Ortho. Of course this is only 1 year worth of stats and no indication of how many applied to Ortho, but it ain't bad.
When I was at my interview we talked about this and how I wanted to do ortho as well! My interviewer actually mentioned how there might be a ortho opening up more for P3R at HUMC by the time I would be in that position. The interviewer also expressed how they do a good job at helping people get to their desired facility as well so if I didn’t want to stay at HUMC after residency I would have some opportunities to go to another HMH location. I honestly wouldn’t mind staying the extra year at HMSOM though because I think the staff does an excelled job at helping students achieve their goals (research, education, etc.) as many of the students I’ve been in contact with have expressed how awesome they think their mentors are and the other staff as well.

Going by this logic, I would have lost interest in 75% of the school I applied to.
Going on 4 months post-interview now, it literally does not make sense what is taking so long, especially with no email updates of timeline

When I was at my interview we talked about this and how I wanted to do ortho as well! My interviewer actually mentioned how there might be a ortho opening up more for P3R at HUMC by the time I would be in that position. The interviewer also expressed how they do a good job at helping people get to their desired facility as well so if I didn’t want to stay at HUMC after residency I would have some opportunities to go to another HMH location. I honestly wouldn’t mind staying the extra year at HMSOM though because I think the staff does an excelled job at helping students achieve their goals (research, education, etc.) as many of the students I’ve been in contact with have expressed how awesome they think their mentors are and the other staff as well.

Have you seen this guy's video. M2 at HM who just presented at some Ortho conference.

This my top choice, haven’t heard back. Sent loi in late January. Can I send in another one or is it over

Not sure if this has been answered here, but how does tuition work during phase 3? I assume that if you go directly into residency, you aren't paying tuition and rather getting payed like a normal resident. However, what if you pursue a dual degree program or one of the other options? Does anyone have insight on this?

Not sure if this has been answered here, but how does tuition work during phase 3? I assume that if you go directly into residency, you aren't paying tuition and rather getting payed like a normal resident. However, what if you pursue a dual degree program or one of the other options? Does anyone have insight on this?
If you do P3R, you don't have to pay. If you do a dual degree, you just pay tuition to seton hall since that is the only dual degree programs you can participate in. If you do research or something though instead of another degree, you do have to pay. Hopefully you're able to find funding for the research year so its not the full $70k

If you do P3R, you don't have to pay. If you do a dual degree, you just pay tuition to seton hall since that is the only dual degree programs you can participate in. If you do research or something though instead of another degree, you do have to pay. Hopefully you're able to find funding for the research year so its not the full $70k
Not correct with the dual degree. If you are dual degree, you still pay HMSOM tutition, they pay seton hall on your behalf. The MPH is with Thomas Jefferson also but most are with seton hall. If you do the three year program, then you graduate in 3 years, so you don't pay.

Not correct with the dual degree. If you are dual degree, you still pay HMSOM tutition, they pay seton hall on your behalf. The MPH is with Thomas Jefferson also but most are with seton hall. If you do the three year program, then you graduate in 3 years, so you don't pay.
When I asked about MBA, they said it was with Seton hall as is the case with a majority of the programs. The only reason they let you go outside of seton hall is if the program is not offered by seton hall

Sorry if this a stupid question, but say for something like anesthesia, is everyone who applies for th P3R program guaranteed to match?

Sorry if this a stupid question, but say for something like anesthesia, is everyone who applies for th P3R program guaranteed to match?

Depends on number of applicants vs number of slots.

For admissions day, is there anything you need to prepare for, or is it just an informational session?

For admissions day, is there anything you need to prepare for, or is it just an informational session?
its informal--- edit, I meant to write informational! no sleep y'all, im sorry.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when financial aid offers will be coming? Did they say end of March? Or did I imagine that

I interview later this week - does anyone know when we'll get decisions?

When I asked about MBA, they said it was with Seton hall as is the case with a majority of the programs. The only reason they let you go outside of seton hall is if the program is not offered by seton hall
Right but you still pay HMSOM tuition which is more than the MBA or other programs tuition. Most dual degree programs are with seton hall but not all.

I interview later this week - does anyone know when we'll get decisions?
currently in admissions day, and damn i've never been more turned off from a school...also the match list of this school isn't better than of DO schools.

currently in admissions day, and damn i've never been more turned off from a school...also the match list of this school isn't better than of DO schools.

What turned you off about the admissions day?

Yeah an ortho match at Mayo is terrible…
Idk what list you’re looking at tbh

• Haha
What turned you off about the admissions day?
The amount of required time in the flipped classroom setting, human dimension projects, the entire rant dr. terlecky is giving right now. The other schools I have As to don't have required lectures. Also the amount of times i've heard this new bus route a couple of students set up.

Yeah an ortho match at Mayo is terrible…
Idk what list you’re looking at tbh
hmm, if you look at any school, e.g., ICOM (a DO school) has derm matches at mayo as well, both ATSU and KCU-COM places anesthesiologists at Johns Hopkins, and KCU-COM matches into vascular - I'm going to an MD school but academic residencies are nothing unique to hackensack

Last edited:
The amount of required time in the flipped classroom setting, human dimension projects, the entire rant dr. terlecky is giving right now. The other schools I have As to don't have required lectures. Also the amount of times i've heard this new bus route a couple of students set up.
Ur living up to ur username alright

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
ICOM (a DO school) has derm matches at mayo as well- nothing unique to hackensack

Eh... in the end, HM is just another middle-of-the-road school. Nothing particular special about it. Looks like it's not a place for you. And since you have other acceptances, perhaps concentrate on the ones that might make you happy.

FWIW (2023 data):

HM: 1/90 got Derm, 5/90 got Ortho, 3/90 got Rad, 6/90 got Gen Surg, 1/90 got Plastics, 5/90 got Anesth

ICOM: 1/163 got Derm, 2/163 got Ortho, 0/163 got Rad, 2/163 got Gen Surg, 0/163 got Plastics, 6/163 got Anesth

Interpret this data however you like. We don't know all the factors such as how many applied to each specialty.

HM cons: New school. Disorganized, though I've been lucky enough to not been affected by it much.

HM pros: Very caring faculty and staff (for the most part, nothing is perfect). Friendly student body (again for the most part, there are some cringy people). Lots of fun activities for M1s. Wonderful learning environment for rotations (though horror stories still exist). P3R. Good research opportunities. Not in Idaho. Short hop to Manhattan.

Disclosure: I had several As and happy I chose HM, though I'm fairly sure I would have been happy at the other places as well.

Reactions: 9 users
Eh... in the end, HM is just another middle-of-the-road school. Nothing particular special about it. Looks like it's not a place for you. And since you have other acceptances, perhaps concentrate on the ones that might make you happy.

FWIW (2023 data):

HM: 1/90 got Derm, 5/90 got Ortho, 3/90 got Rad, 6/90 got Gen Surg, 1/90 got Plastics, 5/90 got Anesth

ICOM: 1/163 got Derm, 2/163 got Ortho, 0/163 got Rad, 2/163 got Gen Surg, 0/163 got Plastics, 6/163 got Anesth

Interpret this data however you like. We don't know all the factors such as how many applied to each specialty.

HM cons: New school. Disorganized, though I've been lucky enough to not been affected by it much.

HM pros: Very caring faculty and staff (for the most part, nothing is perfect). Friendly student body (again for the most part, there are some cringy people). Lots of fun activities for M1s. Wonderful learning environment for rotations (though horror stories still exist). P3R. Good research opportunities. Not in Idaho. Short hop to Manhattan.

Disclosure: I had several As and happy I chose HM, though I'm fairly sure I would have been happy at the other places as well.
+1 this is very well put - and a good comparison - I'll pass shortlisting here, but good luck to everyone else interviewing today!

+1 this is very well put - and a good comparison - I'll pass shortlisting here, but good luck to everyone else interviewing today!
also compared to DO, it’s still MD. No double boards, better match, easier time getting to where you want to go. That’s undeniable.

Dang still telling everyone about that bus route project huh hahah. Been hearing that one since I got here.

• Haha
How much time does it usually take for them to call to schedule an interview after receiving the invite?

How much time does it usually take for them to call to schedule an interview after receiving the invite?
it was 2-3 days for me, i think others have said a week or longer

this school doesn't have posted WL numbers on the AAMC doc, does anyone have an idea of the chances of getting off the WL? would be great to talk to any current students about specifics of my situation

Does anyone know when financial aid offers will be coming? Did they say end of March? Or did I imagine that
I’m not sure about this school in particular, but a few other schools I spoke to said around March 15