2023-2024 Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How reasonable would it be to commute from Westchester County to Einstein as a student? Not planning on it, but just thinking through if that is even feasible. Specific question, but if there are any current students here would appreciate insights.

Members don't see this ad.

How reasonable would it be to commute from Westchester County to Einstein as a student? Not planning on it, but just thinking through if that is even feasible. Specific question, but if there are any current students here would appreciate insights.

I've heard of one or two people doing it, but definitely not common. Practicality depends on where in Westchester. More doable if you're close to Bronx or Hutchinson River Parkways or 95.

Also have to consider that our primary hospital is on the opposite side of The Bronx, so what might be convenient in preclinical might be horribly inconvenient for some clerkships in clinicals.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm from the area, would only recommend it if you're from southern Westchester, otherwise it's too far.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people commute all the way from Manhattan so it's probably doable but I don't know that I would recommend it. As Ripgordo said, it would be much more annoying during clerkships since some of them are farther away from campus. Still, there are people that commute daily from Manhattan and that's definitely harder considering driving or taking public transit from Manhattan takes forever, especially if there is traffic. Getting to Westchester is relatively easy from campus because we are right next to the highway but if you aren't from Southern Westchester then it's probably better to just live on campus. Our housing is pretty cheap for NYC.

Hi guys, for those on HPWL, what did you include on this email they requested? "We are eager to hear how you feel about possibly attending Einstein, in a separate email, to Ms. Mary Pace at [email protected] with ROLLING ADMISSIONS on the subject line."

Do you just say you would like to stay on the waitlist or do you make it more like a LOInterest/Intent?? I received this 10 days ago but have been traveling, hopefully that won't hurt me o_O

Is this school offering still interviews or are they done? Does anyone know? Still haven't been rejected and idk how many other people are in a similar situation

Members don't see this ad :)
Summary for those that are curious from today's Learning Communities event for accepted Students - Dean Kerrigan said "We're gonna be very curious to see if we are going to be accepting more students after this." She also mentioned the possibility of asking students to defer, but she said that Einstein would never force anybody to do this. If push came to shove, she implied that they would follow a similar precedent as Cornell did 30 years ago when they introduced problem-based learning and their yield shot through the roof and they couldn't get enough defers - Cornell started offering tuition scholarships to incentivize people to defer. Einstein still has a scholarship fund, and they aren't sure what they are going to use it for. She also said that the donation is going to not only cover tuition but fees as well (the latter being like $4k a year)

My take: Dean Kerrigan a couple of times also said that the donation was a very well kept secret which coupled with the comments about how they don't know if they will be taking people off the WL (because of a super high yield) tells me that the admissions office truly did not know about the donation nor did they plan for it when they issued A's and WL's in early Feb

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know the process of applying to financial aid? I have been looking at this site

But it's not really updated and the Einstein financial aid questionnaire does not look updated. I know that the deadline is March 15th, and I'm trying to see if they offer need-based aid for housing and living expenses. (Ik I sound greedy but I'm going to have to take out full loans to fund medical school) Has anyone else begun the financial aid process for need-based aid? Please feel free to DM me or just reply. Thank you so much!

Just wanted to say that I have a friend who was accepted here this cycle and had some other acceptances and was able to get full tuition matches. So if you're considering between schools and are unsure it doesn't hurt to ask financial aid offices to get full tuition elsewhere!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Summary for those that are curious from today's Learning Communities event for accepted Students - Dean Kerrigan said "We're gonna be very curious to see if we are going to be accepting more students after this." She also mentioned the possibility of asking students to defer, but she said that Einstein would never force anybody to do this. If push came to shove, she implied that they would follow a similar precedent as Cornell did 30 years ago when they introduced problem-based learning and their yield shot through the roof and they couldn't get enough defers - Cornell started offering tuition scholarships to incentivize people to defer. Einstein still has a scholarship fund, and they aren't sure what they are going to use it for. She also said that the donation is going to not only cover tuition but fees as well (the latter being like $4k a year)

My take: Dean Kerrigan a couple of times also said that the donation was a very well kept secret which coupled with the comments about how they don't know if they will be taking people off the WL (because of a super high yield) tells me that the admissions office truly did not know about the donation nor did they plan for it when they issued A's and WL's in early Feb
So if we're on the WL do you think it would be wise to mention that we are willing to defer our acceptance to next year if we are accepted off of the WL?

So if we're on the WL do you think it would be wise to mention that we are willing to defer our acceptance to next year if we are accepted off of the WL?
That's not really an option for WL students because you are not currently accepted or filling a spot. They need deferrals from accepted students so that their incoming class number is the right size. They will just tell a WL student to apply again next year - they have no reason to automatically add you to the next class. (Please correct me if this is wrong, but I have never heard of this working!)

Reactions: 1 users
does anyone have an idea when the next set of decisions (As if there even are any) will come out?

I got the vibes that they have no idea what to expect in terms of how many people will withdraw or go to another school so I don’t think any As will come out until atleast after the CTE deadline, probably just WL till then. But I’m sure that a good amount will still go to other schools with more prestige or with similar scholarships instead

I got the vibes that they have no idea what to expect in terms of how many people will withdraw or go to another school so I don’t think any As will come out until atleast after the CTE deadline, probably just WL till then. But I’m sure that a good amount will still go to other schools with more prestige or with similar scholarships instead
holy ****! after the CTE deadline? damn damn damn

would it be a bad call to reach out to the adcoms directly? i had a good interview which would've made me feel very confident going into this portion but now i'm like ferk

holy ****! after the CTE deadline? damn damn damn

would it be a bad call to reach out to the adcoms directly? i had a good interview which would've made me feel very confident going into this portion but now i'm like ferk
Thats how most schools WLs work. After april 30th they start taking ppl off

Thats how most schools WLs work. After april 30th they start taking ppl off
oh got it, i didn't realize that would mean Einstein would have to make a decision to waitlist first THEN make decisions after june 1st.

i thought that this would be the next decision received (i am currently post - II) if that makes sense. thank you, i don't know anything about this process at this point!

does anyone have an idea when the next set of decisions (As if there even are any) will come out?
This is just a thought but I feel like they'll still add a few people to the WL since it does no harm. I'm suspecting that once financial aid awards go out people may ask other schools to match and attend there instead (like my friend). So I still feel like there will be some movement unless they simply tell people who are deferring to attend in the fall instead and don't move anyone off of the WL at all.

This is all speculation and it's out of our hands at this point. If you have an interview coming up just nail it and focus on that. No need to worry ourselves on something we have no control over. Good luck everyone!

• Care
Does anyone know the process of applying to financial aid? I have been looking at this site

But it's not really updated and the Einstein financial aid questionnaire does not look updated. I know that the deadline is March 15th, and I'm trying to see if they offer need-based aid for housing and living expenses. (Ik I sound greedy but I'm going to have to take out full loans to fund medical school) Has anyone else begun the financial aid process for need-based aid? Please feel free to DM me or just reply. Thank you so much!
for the financial aid questionnaire I am not sure if they are still doing that. I think you should send an email to Asst. Dean, Damien Jackson and check if they are going to send/update the questionnaire. It is always good to double check and showcase you are interested in financial aid for housing

Any thoughts on sending a pre decision letter of intent? Just interviewed recently and I’m pretty nervous about having to wait for decisions. I have a publication coming out next week so should I wait for that to be released and email my update or letter of intent? This is my top choice and was even before free tuition so I’m just freaking out…

Any thoughts on sending a pre decision letter of intent? Just interviewed recently and I’m pretty nervous about having to wait for decisions. I have a publication coming out next week so should I wait for that to be released and email my update or letter of intent? This is my top choice and was even before free tuition so I’m just freaking out…
Def send it now. Just mention the pub coming out and give them a link or tell them how they can see it

can we expect that they will give us some level of update on or before March 15th? (from the traffic rules that is the deadline? unclear)

my interview is not until early April... should I be worried about how late it is?

For people with t20 As, are you leaning towards the ranking at those schools or the money here??

Here, full COA's a doozy

For people with t20 As, are you leaning towards the ranking at those schools or the money here??
Most haven’t sent out aid info yet. People will wait til they have all the info then make a decision. Some schools match. Some don’t. People have posted that they’ve had their matched by other T50 even. So no one will know anything until all the aid is laid out by other schools and they ask to match

Most haven’t sent out aid info yet. People will wait til they have all the info then make a decision. Some schools match. Some don’t. People have posted that they’ve had their matched by other T50 even. So no one will know anything until all the aid is laid out by other schools and they ask to match
Yup I'd mentioned that I had a friend match it somewhere already. Also knew someone who got into NYU in the past and was able to get a couple institutions to match. Definitely feel like there might be some movement in the WL if enough people are able to get matches elsewhere or choose elsewhere if finaid packages are good enough. Just sucks that FAFSA is so messed up this year and that's gonna push back timelines quite a bit.

i’m in the same boat… nothing we can do but do our best and pray
Good luck you guys! Just focus on doing well on the interview and that'll put you a bit more at ease. What others who have As and the admissions committee do are out of our hands so we just gotta do the best we can. Wishing everyone waiting on decisions or on the WL luck!

lol def leaning toward the free tuition here but waiting for finaid at t20

Reactions: 3 users
Interview in feb, thought it was my best interview it went so well. Just received an R

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
Post II Rejection. Interviewed 2/5.
Like above, it was a great interview.
LM 74.

I would imagine anyone who hasnt heard back yet is gonna be a rejection because of the tuition change.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
I’m so sorry friend. My guess is it had very, very little to do with you. Unfortunately, I think there will be many similar stories. You are a victim of the great news about free tuition and an admissions office who was in the dark and therefore could not plan their cycle around it.

I received my interview invitation on 2/5. Had the news come out before 2/5 I promise you I never would have received an interview and I do not expect there is any chance I will get an A after I interview in late March.
You are so kind, unfortunately I also happened to apply a little late in the cycle. wishing you good luck on your interview!

I’m so sorry friend. My guess is it had very, very little to do with you. Unfortunately, I think there will be many similar stories. You are a victim of the great news about free tuition and an admissions office who was in the dark and therefore could not plan their cycle around it.

I received my interview invitation on 2/5. Had the news come out before 2/5 I promise you I never would have received an interview and I do not expect there is any chance I will get an A after I interview in late March.
so do you think they are pivoting and only accepting the top students who are left?

so do you think they are pivoting and only accepting the top students who are left?
No one gets an A after 2/1 historically. Every person got WL/HPWL/R. Then WL movement was in May. If they don’t expect WL movement/have enough people on WL/HPWL, they could just be sending Rs. But who knows how this year will go

I wish there was a way to know if the class is full at this point in time.

There’s around 150 people in the discord so assuming that there are def some people who haven’t joined I think they’ve accepted close to a full class. They are probably waiting until April 15/30 to see if they need to accept anyone else because now nobody is gonna withdraw their As until they have to

People are going to wait for fin aid offers from other schools, then try to match if they want to go elsewhere. No one knows what’s going to happen