2023-2024 Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
they dont accept updates right? or do they i feel like someone said they dont

Members don't see this ad.

I could be wrong but I think when they made the announcement NYU started from a higher place in the rankings than Einstein. But for sure, without any doubt whatsoever, Einstein will shoot up in whatever is left of the US News rankings (might take a year or two to be reflected if the rankings even exist then). Application volume will soar. Acceptance rate will go way down. Average MCAT and average GPA will go way up. In fact, if the rankings still exist in two years and no other major medical schools go free tuition, I could envision Einstein--tied for 42 in this year's USNWR--easily breaking the top 20 and probably top 15 or even joining NYU in the top 10. Icahn, Cornell, and maybe even Columbia may find themselves regularly losing cross-admit battles with Einstein.

Einstein's yield will go up dramatically. Not saying it will be 100 percent. Many who are unconcerned about money (e.g. those with rich parents or those going into super high paying specialties) would not be influenced by this news. Similarly, many will still choose the tippy top schools over Einstein.

I'm fortunate enough to be holding a few A's from schools that I'm very happy with. But if I am honest, free tuition at Einstein would likely sway me away if JHU does not offer any significant aid. At around $250,000 over four years, we are talking about a very significant amount of money, even for doctors.

Congrats to all!
NYU was much higher. 11 vs Einstein 41

Reactions: 1 user
I find it hard to believe that admissions had absolutely no idea this was coming; but safe to say WL movement is probably going to be extremely low lol

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
they dont accept updates right? or do they i feel like someone said they dont
I had reached out to admissions a while back - if you are invited for an interview they will accept them.
r they still offering interviews lol i haven't gotten rejected yet. anyone else?
I received an II in early Feb and they were scheduling for April. My guess is there may be a few still to go out, good luck! fingers crossed for you

I had reached out to admissions a while back - if you are invited for an interview they will accept them.

I received an II in early Feb and they were scheduling for April. My guess is there may be a few still to go out, good luck! fingers crossed for you
That's crazy because I also received an II in early Feb and was scheduled for end of Feb. They must have released a massive wave of IIs that week.

I could be wrong but I think when they made the announcement NYU started from a higher place in the rankings than Einstein.

But for sure, without any doubt whatsoever, Einstein--already a phenomenal, extremely well regarded medical school--will shoot up in whatever is left of the US News rankings. Application volume will soar. Acceptance rate will plummet. Average MCAT and average GPA will go way up. Might take a year or two for the rankings to fully incorporate this news because giving the timing of the announcement this cycle's yield will be the only significant stat that could possibly impact the next rankings (if yield is even a factor US News considers!). Next cycle, however, total applications, acceptance rate, and average stats will be of a very different order. And the rankings that incorporate data from next year's cycle will be reflective of that.

In fact, if the rankings still exist in two years and no other major medical schools go free tuition, I could envision Einstein--tied for 42 in this year's USNWR--easily breaking the top 20, probably breaking the top 15, and maybe even joining NYU in the top 10. Icahn, Cornell, and maybe even Columbia may find themselves regularly losing cross-admit battles with Einstein. Einstein benefits from its proximity to Manhattan while having the lowest average housing cost in the 5 boros. Plus, there may be no better place to have a greater impact on the social disparities in healthcare than at Montifiore Medical Center.

Einstein's yield will go up dramatically. Not saying it will be 100 percent. Many who are unconcerned about money (e.g. those with rich parents or those going into super high paying specialties) may not be influenced by this news. Similarly, many will still choose the tippy top schools over Einstein--e.g. Hopkins or Harvard. Still others will choose schools that offer significant merit aid.

But this news really matters to me. While I'm fortunate enough to be holding a few A's from schools that I'm very happy with, if I am honest, free tuition at Einstein would likely win me over if JHU does not offer me any significant aid. At around $250,000 over four years, we are talking about a very significant amount of money, even for doctors.

Congrats to all!
Excellent analysis!

Reactions: 1 users
if i interviewed today, is the likelihood that i am being waitlisted super high? I had a fantastic interview but not sure what it means when it happened so late in the cycle

if i interviewed today, is the likelihood that i am being waitlisted super high? I had a fantastic interview but not sure what it means when it happened so late in the cycle
Based on previous years, all IIs after the first half of December resulted in WL/HPWL. Feel free to look through the past bunch of years

• Sad
if i have an II for this coming Friday (3/1) is it safe to assume this is a (HP)WL interview?

For those on the WL, do not lose hope!! Currently holding an A here but am torn between schools, and I’m sure there are many others in the same boat. While the WL movement will be down this year, there are a lot of factors besides tuition to consider and other schools providing $ aid. Also i want to emphasize that if you have updates and einstein is a strong fit for you, this is a school that LOVES letters of intent. I’m pretty sure it can affect your priority on the waitlist post-interview. Good luck!!!

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
For those on the WL, do not lose hope!! Currently holding an A here but am torn between schools, and I’m sure there are many others in the same boat. While the WL movement will be down this year, there are a lot of factors besides tuition to consider and other schools providing $ aid. Also i want to emphasize that if you have updates and einstein is a strong fit for you, this is a school that LOVES letters of intent. I’m pretty sure it can affect your priority on the waitlist post-interview. Good luck!!!
+1 To this!!! I withdrew my A here for another school that will be a little more expensive but I would prefer to attend, and I suspect others will do the same or turn down this school for scholarships at other places. Even if they take substantially fewer people off the WL(which now seems likely), it definitely isn't over! Good Luck Everyone :hello:

I’m assuming tuition free doesn’t cover living expenses right ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. Currently have an A here but will most likely be dropping for a different school. New York is not for me, even with free tuition.

The unfortunate truth is that around half of med school applicants are in the top 20% of earners and even though free tuition is life changing for some, it’s not that big of a deal for others and they will continue taking loans for other top schools.

Obviously yield is gonna increase but I wouldn’t lose hope about WLs. Even NYU historically accepts about 50 students off the waitlist every year.

Reactions: 4 users
NYU went from 11 to 2 now back to 10. Probably an increase from Einstein, but NYU was already T15
This is complicated and ultimately utterly pointless because USNWR metrics are qualitatively and quantitatively severely flawed (please see prior posts). But to be accurate: NYU and Einstein were both ranked in the 30s in the early 2010s. NYU was devastated due to hurricane sandy, and received millions in federal relief packages that was tabulated as "funding," which increased their research rank. The announcement of free tuition in 2017 ballooned and cemented that further.

Please don't consider these rankings - at all - in your decision making. There are so many severe flaws in them (some of which result in the erratic shifts you've described), and so many other tangible factors for your life that merit your attention instead.

Last edited:
Does Einstein hold spots for MSTP applicants who chose the MD program as backup and are waitlisted post interview? This is my current situation & now with the free tuition (amazing for y'all!!!) I'm kinda worried that the Alternative Pathway they recommend on their website is probably out the door...

Also just for reference - (idk how accurate this is) the official discord only has 102 students right now, so it seems like there are quite a few acceptances left to give out even accounting for people that haven't joined

Also just for reference - (idk how accurate this is) the official discord only has 102 students right now, so it seems like there are quite a few acceptances left to give out even accounting for people that haven't joined
I see roughly 179 students (including some MSTP) in the discord, so I am not sure how many acceptances remain to be given out, but I don’t think they massively over enrolled

According to US News last year they accepted 367. They presumably would have to admit significantly less this year.
Yeah if I’m them I’m immediately stopping to accept any new applicants and then just hoping that enough applicants have full rides elsewhere or opt for T5 programs.

I’d assume in late February they’ve already admitted somewhere between 1.0-1.5x what they want the class size to be.

Yeah if I’m them I’m immediately stopping to accept any new applicants and then just hoping that enough applicants have full rides elsewhere or opt for T5 programs.

I’d assume in late February they’ve already admitted somewhere between 1.0-1.5x what they want the class size to be.
Not sure if I agree with this because I’m sure the people who knew about this news breaking out in months prior put out artificial quotas saying that maybe only 300 people should be accepted so far instead of 367 allowing for more WL movement since so many were speculative due to the probation. In any case I think this was accounted for especially with the additional February IIs that were sent out because if they didn’t know about this I’m not sure why they would have wanted to fill the WL even more.

I still have some hope that depending on how well people’s interviews go in February, March, and April people still have a shot (probably less so than before) of getting in. Also as others have said getting into and choosing a particular medical school has way more to do than finances (even though it plays a huge part). Good luck to everyone and I’m sure we’ll all end up somewhere we’ll be happy!

Not sure if I agree with this because I’m sure the people who knew about this news breaking out in months prior put out artificial quotas saying that maybe only 300 people should be accepted so far instead of 367 allowing for more WL movement since so many were speculative due to the probation. In any case I think this was accounted for especially with the additional February IIs that were sent out because if they didn’t know about this I’m not sure why they would have wanted to fill the WL even more.

I still have some hope that depending on how well people’s interviews go in February, March, and April people still have a shot (probably less so than before) of getting in. Also as others have said getting into and choosing a particular medical school has way more to do than finances (even though it plays a huge part). Good luck to everyone and I’m sure we’ll all end up somewhere we’ll be happy!
If you've read the NYT exclusive, Dr. Gottesman shared the news with the head of Montefiore in December. I can't imagine that there was much knowledge at any level of the hierarchy when admissions planning was underway.

I'm grateful to have an A here, but my candid take is that these waitlist folks and late interviews will be facing some course correction from the admissions office that might affect their chances of acceptance.

Also, entirely a side note, but this donation is HUGE for a number of reasons. Just interest on this, with a mediocre safe investment, will be $50,000,000 annually...this will cover tuition for the whole class multiple times over. I cannot imagine what this donation will allow Einstein to do in the coming years.

Reactions: 2 users
I see roughly 179 students (including some MSTP) in the discord, so I am not sure how many acceptances remain to be given out, but I don’t think they massively over enrolled
The big question is how many have they waitlisted so far.

I didn’t even apply to this school, but I feel for every single one of yall who’s on the WL here. Wishing everyone nothing but the best

I think plenty of accepted students will still choose more prestigious schools or other schools with generous scholarships tbh

I'm so happy for you guys with A's here, this is such a blessing! What a gift

I think plenty of accepted students will still choose more prestigious schools or other schools with generous scholarships tbh
There will definitely be WL movement, but just a lot less. 75 got in off WL last year. I’m guessing <30 this year, but that’s still movement

I already know a few people who will still be turning down A’s at Einstein for much higher ranked schools with comparable aid packages. So there will be. GL to the rest of you

May not even matter.

According to MSAR only about 75 people typically get off waitlist. If there is only a modest 25 percent increase in yield that’s basically the entire waitlist movement for a typical year. And I would anticipate a much higher than 25 percent increase in yield.

I’m just trying to be realistic.
😢😢

The rejection hurts when Einstein was already my favorite school before going tuition-free

• Care
I know most media sources are saying tuition free, but does that mean that things like health insurance and "fees" are included? Or is it just tuition? I know it's a massive gift either way just wondering

I know most media sources are saying tuition free, but does that mean that things like health insurance and "fees" are included? Or is it just tuition? I know it's a massive gift either way just wondering
we (admitted students) have yet to receive any official information from Einstein - I called admissions yesterday and was told it was "coming soon", but I assume it would just be tuition. Their estimated cost of attendance before was ~$100,000 out of which ~55,000 was tuition. Most likely students will still be responsible for the rest

Reactions: 7 users
do you guys think any schools would match or come close to matching the free tuition here or is that a list cause

do you guys think any schools would match or come close to matching the free tuition here or is that a list cause
I personally know 2 friends who had full tuition matched by another school last cycle

I personally know 2 friends who had full tuition matched by another school last cycle
That’s awesome!!! I just wasn’t sure if it’s different since it’s not a scholarship offer exactly that they’d be matching

That’s awesome!!! I just wasn’t sure if it’s different since it’s not a scholarship offer exactly that they’d be matching
It'd be the same as schools matching NYU which I have read happen. We shall see

I'm a current student and would be happy to answer questions about Einstein! Feel free to PM me any questions you may have. I don't have any updates on the tuition situation other than what was already mentioned though.

Also an Einstein student (MS4) here! I loved it here even before recent events. Happy to share my experience and answer Qs.

Have any of the current students here participated in the introductory basic science course Einstein runs for 2 weeks before actual classes start? I've been out of college for a few years now so it seems like it'd be useful but I'd love to hear from anyone who took it.

does anyone have any idea of the timeline for an interview in february? i interviewed this month and not sure when to expect a response

Correct. It does not. But I imagine need based aid could.
Probably loans for living expenses for those who can’t cash flow it and who are coming from places not close enough to commute. Does Einstein give need based aid?

I thought it was May! What makes you say March?

For applicants who interview early in the cycle (sept-dec), their decisions are typically released on Feb 1st. Yet, some applicants like myself were interviewed early in the cycle without a Feb 1st decision.

Based on last year’s early interview group, there will probably be another wave of decisions in the first week of March. Granted, it looks like you’ll receive a waitlist or big fat R.

Then, of course, some applicants got strung out til May with acceptances.

However, this year is unprecedented because of the free tuition perk, which probably changes the outlook of admissions decisions. I say all that to conclude that my prediction is just pure speculation, hype, and lots of hopeful pixie dust