2023-2024 Baptist University College of Osteopathic Medicine (BUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was mostly traditional but a bit conversational too. and I didn’t think it was difficult, the standard questions every school is asking. All the faculty and staff were really nice and they try to make it as stress free as possible
did they ask why BUCOM? idek what to say for that since theyre new💀

Members don't see this ad.

did they ask why BUCOM? idek what to say for that since theyre new💀
Its like general questions like, why medicine? Why osteopathic medicine? Why our school? Why Memphis? Stuff like that. I personally loved the school, HATE the area. I was told by locals, don't leave the hotel room after 7 because there are gun shots fired at innocent civilians by accident. However, the campus is safe, everything is locked and gated with security 24/7. If you get the opportunity, reccomend going to the school in person. If you are booking a hotel, I don't recommend downtown because alot of people told me it gets really unsafe after dark. However, the medical district is not bad.

Reactions: 3 users
I will second your take on the school. Memphis as a city is pretty awful tbh. I stayed the night across the street from the Redbirds stadium, and truthfully that stadium was the only visually safe and appealing place to eat. The streets look awful, but then you get inside a restaurant and they look nice.

I will say I never felt like I was going to get shot at night, but I definitely made sure I was aware of my surrounding.

Morning of my interview day and I pretty much told myself that I wasn’t going to even consider the school. I quickly changed my mine when I got to the campus. Great people, great location in the medical district, and the campus always has security. If accepted I truthfully may look into living at the on campus dorms at their main campus hub because Memphis is sketch. But also that sketchiness is a place that is drastically medically underserved so it would also be very rewarding
Its like general questions like, why medicine? Why osteopathic medicine? Why our school? Why Memphis? Stuff like that. I personally loved the school, HATE the area. I was told by locals, don't leave the hotel room after 7 because there are gun shots fired at innocent civilians by accident. However, the campus is safe, everything is locked and gated with security 24/7. If you get the opportunity, reccomend going to the school in person. If you are booking a hotel, I don't recommend downtown because alot of people told me it gets really unsafe after dark. However, the medical district is not bad.
thanks guys:)the hotel lady said it was safe to walk around except weekends when the “wild ppl” come out so ummm 💀💀 im not loving the area rn tbh but i hate most bigger cities sooo

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've lived in Memphis my entire life. I actually work in the medical district here. Super unsafe, especially at nights. I will say though, so many key hospitals here to rotate at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Just finished up my interview a few minutes ago. Very relaxed atmosphere, super basic questions. It was 2 on 1, and we were told that the interviewers didn't have access to our transcripts but one of my interviewers said they'd read my PS so I guess SOME stuff is given to them beforehand. We were also told they're not gonna start sending acceptances until late Oct/early Nov, and that deposits will be required sometime in December (wanna say it was the 15th but don't quote me). Overall, really humble folks and a fun day.

Now to fly back home and get set for the next one... 😵

Just finished up my interview a few minutes ago. Very relaxed atmosphere, super basic questions. It was 2 on 1, and we were told that the interviewers didn't have access to our transcripts but one of my interviewers said they'd read my PS so I guess SOME stuff is given to them beforehand. We were also told they're not gonna start sending acceptances until late Oct/early Nov, and that deposits will be required sometime in December (wanna say it was the 15th but don't quote me). Overall, really humble folks and a fun day.

Now to fly back home and get set for the next one... 😵
PS is not transcripts/MCAT 🤭

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who have II’s, what is the timeline between submitting primary, getting secondary, and receiving an II? The wait is killing me lmao

In case anyone is curious, got the II yesterday. Seems like the trend seen with others is quite accurate.

I just submitted my secondary today! I hope I hear back soon too!

Where exactly do we meet for the interviews? Does anyone know the exact address and building we meet at?

Can't give you an exact answer because I was missing a letter, and I had to send it in.
However, I can say that I submitted my secondary Aug 24, and I had my missing letter sent in around Sept 3. So it was quite a while.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I'm so confused because I never got an interview invite email, but when I logged into the BUCOM portal, it told me to register for an interview date. So I registered for a date in October, and I got a confirmation email about the interview. But I never received an actual invitation email. How did this work for everyone else? Is this like a fluke or something...

Hi I'm so confused because I never got an interview invite email, but when I logged into the BUCOM portal, it told me to register for an interview date. So I registered for a date in October, and I got a confirmation email about the interview. But I never received an actual invitation email. How did this work for everyone else? Is this like a fluke or something...
oop nevermind I just got the II email haha. I guess it was just late. Got the II 9 days after I submitted secondary so just like others have said in this thread.

Anybody have any insight on the interview style here?
Its very conversational. I can't share much because I think I signed an NDA for this interview, however know your application and be yourself. I would also practice the usual interview questions because I didn't have anything out of the blue and my interviewers were really nice.

Reactions: 4 users
Its very conversational. I can't share much because I think I signed an NDA for this interview, however know your application and be yourself. I would also practice the usual interview questions because I didn't have anything out of the blue and my interviewers were really nice.
Thank you!!

To anyone who had an interview already, what lunch did they give? I'm curious haha

Hey all, I have recently got an interview here and am wondering what I should do about taking the one credit of biochem lab. In the primary, I stated that I will do the credit if I get accepted. Has anyone else dealt with this scenario with admissions? If so, what did they say? Has anyone found it difficult to just take a lab if you already have the lecture?

Hey all, I have recently got an interview here and am wondering what I should do about taking the one credit of biochem lab. In the primary, I stated that I will do the credit if I get accepted. Has anyone else dealt with this scenario with admissions? If so, what did they say? Has anyone found it difficult to just take a lab if you already have the lecture?
I called them almost a month ago when I initially applied and they said this is a very common issue and will work with us on this if accepted. I think because they’re new they didn’t know initially that the lab is a very rare requirement and included it without that knowledge. They told me there are possible substitutes and will consider it on a case by case basis, and classes such as genetics MAY count in replacement of the biochem lab. They also told me there are online options they will take in place and will tell us exactly what to take in that scenario. FYI I was in the same spot and got an II too, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Rejected pre secondary. Got a call they didn’t want to honor my English courses I took in another state. Sent proof my courses fulfilled the English requirement outlined by my state and recieved a rejection letter after. Bummer literally recieved my masters degree at a university in their neighboring city.

• Care
Just out of curiosity, for those that interviewed, has their new building been built already or are they interviewing out of their undergraduate campus?

Just out of curiosity, for those that interviewed, has their new building been built already or are they interviewing out of their undergraduate campus?
The new building is still under construction, and they’re interviewing out of the nursing building currently

Do you guys think they will give discounted tuition to their first incoming class? I know a lot of new schools do that. Anyone with an A have their financial aid package?

Does anyone know if they are calling to give A or sending emails? I’m traveling and won’t have access to my line for a few weeks.. Not sure what to do.

I have my interview next week, what kinds of questions were you guys asked, and what was the vibe? Also, was it closed file or open file?

They asked general questions like why medicine, why DO, why BUCOM, etc. Def don't stress out too much! Its super chill and very relaxed. The interviewers dont grill you or try to trick you. Just have fun and be yourself

So I was rejected a while back and never given a portal login info, today I received an email to complete the secondary but still have no portal access.... anyone else?

For all of those who have interviewed up to today, decisions will be released by next Friday!
Was told it will either be an A or an R, there will be no WL (?) from my understanding.

For those that have interviews coming up, could you ask these following questions to the deans for me?

1) What is the relationship between BUCOM and Baptist Memorial Health?
-Will BUCOM graduates be favored for a residency spot at any of their hospitals with a residency program?
-I guess what I want to know is... are they actually pretty tight? or is bucom just trying to make the relationship seem more close than it really is to use it as a selling point

2) How is the inaugral class eligible for a federal loan?
-Everywhere I've looked, it says that the school needs to be fully accredited for its student to get the federal loan. I'm sorta wondering if there is a catch that they are not telling us about

3) How is 1st and 2nd year courses scheduled?
-Is it block schedule? (I really hope its block schedule bc I would hate to have a cumulative final at the end of each semester)
-How many exams per week? (I wondering if they are going to do many tests that are worth little or few tests that are worth alot)
-Will we be given some time during the 2nd year dedicated for boards studying?

If you could ask these questions in this order (bc you speak to the dean of clinical affairs, financial aid officer and dean of academic affairs in that order), I'd be sooooooooo grateful! I honestly should have asked these question on my interview day but I was so nervous I just forgot lol.

THank you in advance!
I have my interview next week, ill try my best to ask!

Secondary to II chances? Originally rejected pre secondary and was just offered one

For those that have interviews coming up, could you ask these following questions to the deans for me?

1) What is the relationship between BUCOM and Baptist Memorial Health?
-Will BUCOM graduates be favored for a residency spot at any of their hospitals with a residency program?
-I guess what I want to know is... are they actually pretty tight? or is bucom just trying to make the relationship seem more close than it really is to use it as a selling point

2) How is the inaugral class eligible for a federal loan?
-Everywhere I've looked, it says that the school needs to be fully accredited for its student to get the federal loan. I'm sorta wondering if there is a catch that they are not telling us about

3) How is 1st and 2nd year courses scheduled?
-Is it block schedule? (I really hope its block schedule bc I would hate to have a cumulative final at the end of each semester)
-How many exams per week? (I wondering if they are going to do many tests that are worth little or few tests that are worth alot)
-Will we be given some time during the 2nd year dedicated for boards studying?

If you could ask these questions in this order (bc you speak to the dean of clinical affairs, financial aid officer and dean of academic affairs in that order), I'd be sooooooooo grateful! I honestly should have asked these question on my interview day but I was so nervous I just forgot lol.

THank you in advance!
They addressed a lot of these questions during my interview;
1) They are very close with Baptist Memorial Health, but I'm not sure about being favored for residency.
2) Their was a presentation from the financial aid advisor who told us that we'd be eligible for $20,000 federal loans per year.
3) It is a block schedule. There will be weekly tests. They also said they start tests very early, from week two I believe, to make sure that they can help you improve before finals. And yes there will be time for board studying.

2) Their was a presentation from the financial aid advisor who told us that we'd be eligible for $20,000 federal loans per year.
The tuition is 52K per academic year. Does this mean we will have to pay the remaining 32K out of pocket or thru private loan services?

Anyone else get a cute little handwritten letter in the mail saying they'd start sending out decisions in November? 🥹

I feel like Secondary = II, they said they screen pretty heavily beforehand.

Can anyone else here comment on the validity of this? That would be pretty hype if so, because I received a secondary a few days ago.

Anyone else get a cute little handwritten letter in the mail saying they'd start sending out decisions in November? 🥹
Yup it should start coming out by this Friday

Can anyone else here comment on the validity of this? That would be pretty hype if so, because I received a secondary a few days ago.
I know the heavy screen beforehand is true. Just not 100% about secondary = II

As of 11/1, there were about 1600 applicants and 160 interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow