2023-2024 Baptist University College of Osteopathic Medicine (BUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I just called to ask about their LOR requirements and the person said a committee letter only counts as 1 of the 4 letters. I have 4 letters in that packet and it only counts as 1?!

I just called to ask about their LOR requirements and the person said a committee letter only counts as 1 of the 4 letters. I have 4 letters in that packet and it only counts as 1?!

I submitted a committee letter and have an II so I’m pretty sure it’s ok. If you want to clarify, maybe just email? They’ve been really nice and helpful over email in my experience

Definitely seems like the most solid new school option. But I still don’t love it.

Cons:
1) their first class size will be large
2) the building still isn’t done which is a tad concerning, but not too worried about that
3) it seems like they’re interview a lot of students now, but decisions won’t come out until November which is concerning as well
4) $2k deposit
5) the reputation of the clinical sites is carrying the reputation of the school. I’m not sure what the school is actually like

Pros:
1) GREAT clinical sites
2) large city that would honestly benefit from free clinics and such that can come from a medical school
3) in house residency for a lot of specialties (definitely not all)

Tbh if I get in somewhere else then I’d prob go to that other place (outside of LMU bc BUCOM is going to take their clinical rotation sites)

Going to put some pressure on the NYIT-JB for clinical sites as well.

Could someone offer some insight on if new schools like BUCOM are recommended or not if you may have other acceptances?

Could someone offer some insight on if new schools like BUCOM are recommended or not if you may have other acceptances?

Not sure if this is what you’re looking for, but I think generally it’s recommended that if you have an acceptance at a school that has data on COMLEX performance and match rates it’s better to choose something more established than a place where you’d be going in blind. Plus, newer schools aren’t guaranteed to be accredited at the end of their provisional accreditation so that’s a bit of a gamble. However, it’s been suggested that BUCOM is the strongest of some of the newer programs recently started due to its great connections for rotations and it looks like quite a few of their administrators have good experience working at/starting up other DO programs.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if this is what you’re looking for, but I think generally it’s recommended that if you have an acceptance at a school that has data on COMLEX performance and match rates it’s better to choose something more established than a place where you’d be going in blind. Plus, newer schools aren’t guaranteed to be accredited at the end of their provisional accreditation so that’s a bit of a gamble. However, it’s been suggested that BUCOM is the strongest of some of the newer programs recently started due to its great connections for rotations and it looks like quite a few of their administrators have good experience working at/starting up other DO programs.
Thanks so much! This makes so much sense.

Just received secondary application! Any interviews done yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know how fast the turnaround time is after the entire application is received in?

I reached out to them because I’m missing the lab too. They told me to go ahead and apply and based on how the cycle went for me there we could discuss the lab requirement/figure out a way to get it done if offered an acceptance. Haven’t heard anything secondary wise from them though
I’m in the same situation too. Did they tell you to just click “yes” on the prerequisite question on the primary or did you click “no” and explain you didn’t have it?

Well just got rejected pre secondary

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Well just got rejected pre secondary
My sympathies. I got mine a few weeks ago.

They seem to be very region specific, so out of state folks are going to be a minority overall. Of course, my meh numbers didn’t help as well.

I got this from a meeting I had with their director. I recommend scheduling one, if you’re interested.

How was the interview? Were they grilling you or was it a conversational style? Also, what did you think of the school?
Also interviewed here, it was really conversational and pretty low stress. Just asked the basics like why medicine and had a convo, the interviewers were really nice! Good luck

secondary submitted 9/1 and got II today! not sure if they didnt have enough applicants as expected but their website says 123 minimum on each MCAT section and i have a 121 CARS lol

Reactions: 1 users
Also interviewed here, it was really conversational and pretty low stress. Just asked the basics like why medicine and had a convo, the interviewers were really nice! Good luck
did they incorporate any christian values questions into the interview at all? jw if i need to prepare examples for that

did they incorporate any christian values questions into the interview at all? jw if i need to prepare examples for that
it didn't come up as a question in the interview, N=1 tho

I’m in the same situation too. Did they tell you to just click “yes” on the prerequisite question on the primary or did you click “no” and explain you didn’t have it?

I clicked no and then just explained what my plan was to get it done if I got admitted

They’re a brand new school. Honestly I don’t think they know much about the application process still. Prob my last choice
Yeah I think they’re targeting more around their area. I think if my MCAT was higher I could’ve gotten one though. It’s just weird because I got secondaries from WCUCOM and Noorda which tend to screen heavily before sending them

Got invite to portal, no secondary. I’m outside of the area so I was expecting a rejection. Did the people that get rejected get access to the portal beforehand?

Does secondary invite = II here? Like how ARCOM does it

How was the interview? Were they grilling you or was it a conversational style? Also, what did you think of the school?
It was okay. Mine was a little hectic because my second interviewer didn't show so she was texting her trying to see where she was. Then a different person showed up midway through which threw me off.. The questions themselves were fine. It was very conversational, they didn't grill me at all. Although the interview was a bit hectic and certain things threw me off throughout the day, I'd still overall be very happy to attend there. The faculty seemed down to earth, and I have to give them some leeway since my interview day was literally their first ever.

Reactions: 2 users
Just wondering for those of you who had an interview how it went and what time it ended about? Also for those who had to travel which hotels did you stay at?

My sympathies. I got mine a few weeks ago.

They seem to be very region specific, so out of state folks are going to be a minority overall. Of course, my meh numbers didn’t help as well.

I got this from a meeting I had with their director. I recommend scheduling one, if you’re interested.
How would I do that?

I am not sure how specific the region of preference is though because I got a secondary after waiting awhile and I am from the tri-state area with no ties. I also have a low MCAT.

Maybe you match their mission?

That could be true, although I don't think their mission differs very much from others. I do have a good amount of service from college clubs and summers. I'm also not Christian, but I don't know how much that matters.
Possibly.

When I chatted with their director, they said it boiled down to my tepid numbers and geographic location.

Anyone know what the approximate turnaround time is after submitting primary? I submitted a bit late on 9/13.

Holy cow, just signed up for my OOS II and my in-person is scheduled for NEXT WEEK!! Meanwhile my ACOM interview ain't until January. Not complaining, just amazed! :giggle:

was it difficult?

It was mostly traditional but a bit conversational too. and I didn’t think it was difficult, the standard questions every school is asking. All the faculty and staff were really nice and they try to make it as stress free as possible

• Care
It was mostly traditional but a bit conversational too. and I didn’t think it was difficult, the standard questions every school is asking. All the faculty and staff were really nice and they try to make it as stress free as possible
cool! when did they say youd hear back?