2022-2023 UT Tyler

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe someone should write up some secondary questions and send them over to UT Tyler so we can finish applying ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to the YouTube session that UT Tyler had today. Secondaries are sent selectively and are free. Interviews will be in person starting in September.

Reactions: 3 users
I went to the YouTube session that UT Tyler had today. Secondaries are sent selectively and are free. Interviews will be in person starting in September.
Did they mention when secondaries will go out?

They did their Q&A today!

Free Secondary
-Screened 3.0 492

Take STEP 1 and 2 together.

MMI interviews w tours

Interview Invites out in September.

Will do prematch starting Oct 15

Reactions: 2 users
Mission screen? I was unable to attend the YouTube session today. Just asking because someone said secondaries are sent out "selectively" but that the screen starts at 492, 3.0.
I'm assuming you have to meet those stats to even be considered for mission fit/secondary invite.

Mission screen? I was unable to attend the YouTube session today. Just asking because someone said secondaries are sent out "selectively" but that the screen starts at 492, 3.0.
They will post the recording on the THES YouTube channel in a day or two. Mission is improving health access & outcomes for east Texas counties. Mission is on their web page also

Reactions: 1 user
They will post the recording on the THES YouTube channel in a day or two. Mission is improving health access & outcomes for east Texas counties. Mission is on their web page also
The video is already on their YouTube channel.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI if you go the YouTube video around minute 17, they literally read off the secondary prompts. In case anyone wants to get a head start

Reactions: 1 users
Don't be shy, post them here
  1. Why are you interested in applying to UT Tyler SOM? (500 words)
  2. Describe any experiences or information you have in or about East Texas as it relates to our mission statement. (500 words)
  3. Please share with the committee what unique skills, experiences, and/or qualities and characteristics, and/or ideas you may have or possess that will help you contribute to the mission of UT Tyler SOM if selected for the class. (500 words)
  4. Please review the SOM’s values and select the value that most resonates with you. Explain why. (500 words)
  5. Please share with the committee any additional information that may help us evaluate your candidacy that is not addressed elsewhere in the application. (Optional).

I didn't catch a word count for #5 but I'd assume probably 500 words like the rest.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
  1. Why are you interested in applying to UT Tyler SOM? (500 words)
  2. Describe any experiences or information you have in or about East Texas as it relates to our mission statement. (500 words)
  3. Please share with the committee what unique skills, experiences, and/or qualities and characteristics, and/or ideas you may have or possess that will help you contribute to the mission of UT Tyler SOM if selected for the class. (500 words)
  4. Please review the SOM’s values and select the value that most resonates with you. Explain why. (500 words)
  5. Please share with the committee any additional information that may help us evaluate your candidacy that is not addressed elsewhere in the application. (Optional).

I didn't catch a word count for #5 but I'd assume probably 500 words like the rest.
Thank you!

I had a slightly hard time finding the video for some reason so here it is:

Reactions: 6 users
Just got UT Tyler’s secondary officially!

Also got a secondary. :) Glad I started pre writing last night!

That email title of "prerequisite issue" scared me. Glad they're keeping us updated on the issue but I thought it was about my coursework.

I fully empathize with the fact that this is their first application cycle, but this drag-and-drop system to verify prerequisites is one of the most unfriendly user experiences I've ever seen. I hope they overhaul it for applicants next cycle somehow, I felt like I was playing a minigame to unlock the rest of the application.

• Haha
I fully empathize with the fact that this is their first application cycle, but this drag-and-drop system to verify prerequisites is one of the most unfriendly user experiences I've ever seen. I hope they overhaul it for applicants next cycle somehow, I felt like I was playing a minigame to unlock the rest of the application.
A lot of schools use this same feature. Pretty sure VCU also has it and TCU as well (if I'm not mistaken).

A lot of schools use this same feature. Pretty sure VCU also has it and TCU as well (if I'm not mistaken).
I had no idea that this was so common. Perhaps it's just my pent-up frustration/burnout from secondaries but for some reason, it was weirdly triggering. I don't mean to be rude I just wasn't sure if others shared my opinion.

Are they still sending out secondaries? Sent the app first day they opened so not sure what to expect

Still no secondary with what I believed to be solid mission fit (rural focus app). Oof.

Secondary received today, there is no fee required.

To those receiving secondaries, when were your primary applications transmitted?

Still no secondary with what I believed to be solid mission fit (rural focus app). Oof.
I don't think you were screened out, they just started sending out secondaries yesterday. Give it some time, especially if you know you meet their MCAT/GPA.

To those receiving secondaries, when were your primary applications transmitted?
7/5

Hi everyone! Would anybody be willing to share their approach on how they answered question 2 if they did not have any experiences in East Texas? I'm just not sure what we can write about for the "information about East Texas" route except for what we find online.

Hi everyone! Would anybody be willing to share their approach on how they answered question 2 if they did not have any experiences in East Texas? I'm just not sure what we can write about for the "information about East Texas" route except for what we find online.
if you have experience in a community with health disparities / poor health outcomes / rural med

@wysdoc is there any reason to hesitate to apply to schools like this and UH that are not fully accredited yet (besides the obvious of no students ahead of you, etc.)? Is it reasonable to worry about accreditation falling through or poor residency placements?

@wysdoc is there any reason to hesitate to apply to schools like this and UH that are not fully accredited yet (besides the obvious of no students ahead of you, etc.)? Is it reasonable to worry about accreditation falling through or poor residency placements?
I think both schools are well funded and have good planning in place. Tyler has had a teaching hospital for years and other TX med schools have sent students there.

have they fixed the pre-requisite issue yet? or is it still not showing all the classes from tmdas application?