2022-2023 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone! Just a couple of questions.
1) Does anyone know how the interview offering works? Like, how come individuals are being offered interviews sporadically, regardless if they submitted their application in July or August? That sounds confusing, so like, there are some people who are still being offered interviews even though they submitted their application in July. Does that mean the 'queue' that schools put applicants on isn't based off when you submit your application?
2) Has anyone received an interview for SHSU next Friday (October 21st)?

1) Does anyone know how the interview offering works? Like, how come individuals are being offered interviews sporadically, regardless if they submitted their application in July or August? That sounds confusing, so like, there are some people who are still being offered interviews even though they submitted their application in July. Does that mean the 'queue' that schools put applicants on isn't based off when you submit your application?
From my experience this cycle, submitting early does not guarantee an early interview. All schools have their own methods that is applicants won’t understand.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IS II today! Complete around 7/20ish.

Reactions: 3 users
I am interviewing 10/21

Reactions: 1 user
For someone experienced with how application cycles work, for those of us who have interviewed already, specifically a September interview date, should we expect to hear back on 10/15 or soon after, or is it more likely that we will hear back in the following weeks/months just as they work through the applicant files?

For someone experienced with how application cycles work, for those of us who have interviewed already, specifically a September interview date, should we expect to hear back on 10/15 or soon after, or is it more likely that we will hear back in the following weeks/months just as they work through the applicant files?
SHSU last year sent out a few (but not many, I heard) prematch offers October 15th- the first day they are able to do so. They sent out another batch around November 18th. Receiving a prematch offer is very unlikely in general, so although we can hope, it would not be wise to expect to hear back. Most Texas applicants get in through the match system in March.

SHSU last year sent out a few (but not many, I heard) prematch offers October 15th- the first day they are able to do so. They sent out another batch around November 18th. Receiving a prematch offer is very unlikely in general, so although we can hope, it would not be wise to expect to hear back. Most Texas applicants get in through the match system in March.
Does my personal ranking of the schools affect whether I get accepted? Or does it just allow me to get into one school. For example, if I rank school A as number 4, but school A ranks me highly, do I still have a shot at school A?

Does my personal ranking of the schools affect whether I get accepted? Or does it just allow me to get into one school. For example, if I rank school A as number 4, but school A ranks me highly, do I still have a shot at school A?
You should rank your schools in your true order of which ones you like best. The schools will not see where you ranked them, the match ranking is confidential. Everyone will come out of the Match Day with just one school, or with a message of "no match". Those who had interviews but no match, will still be on wait lists for all their schools and could be called in from a WL.

Reactions: 2 users
Just received the "Committee Review Complete" email...my neuroticism just picked back up

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the best way to prep for this interview? There is an MMI aspect, plus the written and group portions.

I PREMATCHED! CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE! WE'RE GOING TO BE DOCTORS

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Congrats to everyone that pre matched today. Just curious, when did you all interview? Also, did any of you happen to get the admissions committee review complete email?

Do most people going through the cycle for SHSU prematch? Or, any school in general.

Congrats to everyone that pre matched today. Just curious, when did you all interview? Also, did any of you happen to get the admissions committee review complete email?
I interviewed 9/30 and yes I received the email

If they stick to the same relative schedule as last year, I believe the next batch of pre matches are in about a month

Did anyone who received the admissions review complete email not pre-match today? My anxiety is through the roof 😅

Did anyone who received the admissions review complete email not pre-match today? My anxiety is through the roof

I received the review complete email and did not prematch. 🫠

Did anyone ever ask shsu about their tuition decreasing with help from the state ?

Last years thread shows as early as August interviewers receiving pre-matches 11/17.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! I'm an OOS applicant and was invited to the campus for an interview yesterday evening.

I have 3 other DO interviews and 1 MD interview (+1 DO A).

Is anyone else OOS and considering this interview? Thanks!

Hi everyone! I'm an OOS applicant and was invited to the campus for an interview yesterday evening.

Do you prefer the other DO school that you got the A to? Sam Houston is a cool school with a great faculty and awesome energy, but it’s pretty new and doesn’t have state funding. The facilities are new but it is literally a single building, not on the Sam Houston campus. If you’d rather go to SHSU than your other DO A, take it. But if you wouldn’t, unless you have unlimited funds and time, I probably would not.

Woah they have campus interviews now ?

When were you complete ?

Do you prefer the other DO school that you got the A to? Sam Houston is a cool school with a great faculty and awesome energy, but it’s pretty new and doesn’t have state funding. The facilities are new but it is literally a single building, not on the Sam Houston campus. If you’d rather go to SHSU than your other DO A, take it. But if you wouldn’t, unless you have unlimited funds and time, I probably would not.
Thanks!!! I have decided to turn this down.