2022-2023 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just received a "Admissions Committee Review Complete" email post II in July. notified that they will follow tmdsas guidelines (no pre-match before oct. 15th) and they don't except updates.
+1 on the email. It'll probably follow last year's trend of prematches going to the high stat mission matchers.

Reactions: 1 user
Got the email too, which cued my existential dread as we’re officially one month out of possible prematches. 🫠

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe they reviewed and emailed all of the 7/22 interviewees. I guess good news since at least it’s not a rejection email. But this may mean that our fates have been sealed, and the waiting game continues.

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe they reviewed and emailed all of the 7/22 interviewees. I guess good news since at least it’s not a rejection email. But this may mean that our fates have been sealed, and the waiting game continues.
Can they send rejection letters before October 15th?

Did they have a vegetarian option at lunch for interview day? Lol

Just got a verification that they completed my file review…interviewed in august. Praying

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Those that did the in person interview, I am interviewing this Friday! I am very excited because I am a big extrovert and I think I genuinely do better with in person interviews (It's the theater kid in me!) I am however concerned about doing the school tour. I am an above knee amputee. And if i'm doing a lot of long walks, which I do love to do, I tend to wear better athletic shoes. I'll be dressed very smartly and in some nice flats which I am fine to walk in, i'm just slow. About how far and how long is the school tour? And does anyone here think that maybe they will let me quickly change into some tennis shoes on my prosthetic for that part or should I stick to my flats?

Those that did the in person interview, I am interviewing this Friday! I am very excited because I am a big extrovert and I think I genuinely do better with in person interviews (It's the theater kid in me!) I am however concerned about doing the school tour. I am an above knee amputee. And if i'm doing a lot of long walks, which I do love to do, I tend to wear better athletic shoes. I'll be dressed very smartly and in some nice flats which I am fine to walk in, i'm just slow. About how far and how long is the school tour? And does anyone here think that maybe they will let me quickly change into some tennis shoes on my prosthetic for that part or should I stick to my flats?
I wouldn’t say they are long walks. Just lots of stairs. But elevators you can take. I’m sure they would be understanding of the situation if you wanted to bring a pair to change into for the tour.

The med school is just one building with four floors. A student leads the tour - I’m sure it won’t be a problem if you have to change (you could probably even go out to your car to change before and after the tour so you don’t have to carry the extra pair around). Good luck at your interview!!

Hey guys! Interviewing this Friday. For those of us who have interviewed up until this point, do we have a better chance interviewing now than later in the cycle? Is that what the rolling basis means? Just confused about how it works for TMDSAS schools with match and everything. Thank you!!

Also, does anyone know how many interviews have been conducted up until this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Interviewing this Friday. For those of us who have interviewed up until this point, do we have a better chance interviewing now than later in the cycle? Is that what the rolling basis means? Just confused about how it works for TMDSAS schools with match and everything. Thank you!!
Nothing "gets rolling" in TMDSAS until after October 15, when the first offers of admission may be made.
Another difference between TMDSAS and other app systems is that all interviews are finished before Feb 19th, the day we have to rank our schools interviewed in order of preference.

Are you IS or OOS for Texas?

how do i prepare for the interview this friday?
Practice MMI. They have what they refer to as a mini MMI. SHSU is a very laid back interview. I would not stress about it. School is extremely nice and everyone is super friendly. Just enjoy your time there!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how many applicants they're going to interview this year?

Does anyone know how many applicants they're going to interview this year?
~1000 every year leading up to this year. Will have 150 matriculate this year so may have more interview invites.

• Wow
II invite today. However, they only have one date listed (10/14) and I already have an interview scheduled that day. Does anyone know how far out they usually interview? I am surprised mid-October is all that is listed!

II invite today. However, they only have one date listed (10/14) and I already have an interview scheduled that day. Does anyone know how far out they usually interview? I am surprised mid-October is all that is listed!
They have dates all throughout January. The October is probably the only one that is open right now. Others will open as the dates come closer.

If you contact them & say you have a schedule conflict, they will offer you another date.
A school generally tries to fill earlier dates before opening up future ones.

Is it worth applying here as a OOS applicant with decent stats? I live in NY.
In 2021 they matriculated 108 in-state and 4 OOS, but if you like the area & mission you can try it.
They use TMDSAS application, deadline Nov 1.

II this morning! Completed 7/17. Its my first II so far so I'm really happy :)

Reactions: 5 users
Had my interview here on Friday. Went really well! The only stressful part was the written assessment. I have horrible handwriting and they had us hand write our answers. Good luck everyone!

Does Sam Houston release their prematches at midnight or during business hours?

Does anyone know how many people they interview per cycle and how many get in?

Has anyone else received this email after interview: SHSU-COM Admissions: Admissions Committee Review Complete

Has anyone else received this email after interview: SHSU-COM Admissions: Admissions Committee Review Complete
Yes. It looks like everyone has been getting a few months after their interview.

There's no way to know if getting the email is a good or bad sign. I got the email like a month ago and I wanted it to mean something so badly. Then I started freaking out thinking what if they're like: ok yeah we're done looking at his app, he'll get a rejection letter in October. But it could also mean that I might prematch sometime soon. So just try to ignore it. I honestly don't know why they sent that email. They know how stressed premeds are in this process.

There's no way to know if getting the email is a good or bad sign. I got the email like a month ago and I wanted it to mean something so badly. Then I started freaking out thinking what if they're like: ok yeah we're done looking at his app, he'll get a rejection letter in October. But it could also mean that I might prematch sometime soon. So just try to ignore it. I honestly don't know why they sent that email. They know how stressed premeds are in this process.
ADCOMS at SHSU are pulling the ultimate prank

I interviewed September 9th and I never got that email its been almost one month.

I interviewed September 9th and I never got that email its been almost one month.
I think only people from the first two interview dates have received that email. You’ll probably see one in another month or two.

Anyone know if there’s any chance Sam receives state funding within the next few years or is this out of the question?

Anyone know if there’s any chance Sam receives state funding within the next few years or is this out of the question?
I would not anticipate this as a factor in choosing this school. Probably not within the next few years.

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone speak to SHSU's attendance policy? I remember during interview that there was a ID-swipe for class, and handbook mentions several policies but not sure if those are actually set in stone/ if they have changed

Can anyone speak to SHSU's attendance policy? I remember during interview that there was a ID-swipe for class, and handbook mentions several policies but not sure if those are actually set in stone/ if they have changed
If they just told you these things during your interview day, I think the policies are up to date!

Apologies, I did an awful job of clarifying - the handbook I found online mentions policies, but its from 2020-2021
I believe in the interview they said there are some mandatory lectures and others that are not. For mandatory you may have to swipe in to verify attendance.

Can someone explain what the food options are? Also, will I be asked any traditional interview questions like "Why DO?" "Why medicine?" or is it strictly MMI and ethical scenarios?

Can anyone comment on the location/quality of clinical rotations for 3rd year students?

Can anyone comment on the location/quality of clinical rotations for 3rd year students?
Their first class just began rotations this year. I think location wise they have Conroe, some areas on outskirts of Houston (Sugarland and such), Lufkin, Nacogdoches, and more in that region.