2022-2023 Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine (Provo, UT) Noorda-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
im an OMS1 here. Feel free to pm if I can be of any help

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
How are you liking the school? Pros? Cons?
The program itself is really good. Pod activities and learning help to understand the material. We only have been doing a weeks worth of lessons but so far so good. All staff, administrators and professor seem to really want to help you succeed. All in all, it has been a very positive experience.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Noorda-COM Admissions apologies for the tag, but just had a question! Are the last 60 credit hours evaluated separately? and if so can it offset a sub 500 MCAT etc? I know it's all part of puzzle pieces!

Hello everyone, I'm currently an OMS-I at Noorda. I'd love to help out and answer any questions you guys have about the application process and the school. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
What is the grading system like? Are you ranked? How often are tests? How high of quality does everyone think the clinical rotations will be? Thanks!

What is the grading system like? Are you ranked? How often are tests? How high of quality does everyone think the clinical rotations will be? Thanks!
I can't say much about the grades yet since we just started, but we have performance scores (three digit scores like comlex) to show us where we actually stand. The scores also represent a percentage. So if someone has a three digit score between 750-800, the percentage for that would be around 97-99.
As of now, we have quizzes every single day but each course has one midterm and one final exam to my knowledge. The good thing about the exams is that their format is very similar to actual boards questions. At this point, it does seem like the school is trying their best to prepare us for the exams that matter later on. As for the clinical rotations, I can't say much either because the second years still haven't started so our cohort will probably learn more about how that goes from them. However, the school does have clinical partnerships with various hospitals in the surrounding area so we're hoping that the quality will be high. Many students in my class are currently planning to go out of state for their audition rotations towards the end.

Reactions: 1 users
I have seen the aug 1 secondary deadline a couple of times but I submitted my primary to this school on 8/3....... was that a mistake?? I thought it would be good to add a couple more schools lol

I have seen the aug 1 secondary deadline a couple of times but I submitted my primary to this school on 8/3....... was that a mistake?? I thought it would be good to add a couple more schools lol
They adjust the deadline based on when you receive a secondary. I received my secondary 8/1 and it's due 9/1

Based on the question from NOORDA's primary application, is this university more research-oriented?

This question: "Please tell us about your past research experiences. If you have not completed research in the past, please indicate your research interests."
it seems like research is def part of their mission

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they have many opportunities for students to do research? That seems surprising given how small the campus is
Yes, research is a big part of the student experience here at Noorda. It's basically required in a way. My cohort just got assigned to their research houses and pretty much every individual in our class is going to be a part of a research project. During orientation, it was mentioned that a large majority of the students in the class of 2025 were able to get published during their first year so there are opportunities.

Reactions: 4 users
Is research through BYU or UVU, or is it through the med school?

Is research through BYU or UVU, or is it through the med school?
Some of the professors have ties to BYU. I don’t think there was anything through UVU, but there’s some independent research through the professors as well based on things they are working on.

OH MY GOD I GOT AN II, MY FIRST ONE

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Signed up for 9/14, hope to see some of you there! Congrats!!

First II ever! Marked complete just yesterday 😮

Reactions: 2 users
II received! FL resident ORM

Are there any current students lurking the thread that I could speak to about the interview and how to prep? Anyone also know if it’s closed or open file? Thanks!

Last edited:
II received today! OOS, strong ties to Utah. First II of the cycle :)

Congrats everyone! Good luck in your interviews!

I was also wondering if anyone knew if NOORDA sends secondaries out in batches?

Are there any previous students lurking the thread that I could speak to about the interview and how to prep? Anyone also know if it’s closed or open file? Thanks!
I’m a second year. Feel free to shoot any questions my way. And I think you meant current students. 😂

For those of you who have completed the video for the secondary, how did you approach it? Did you just record yourself sitting down and answering the questions or did you make your video more "interesting"?

For those of you who have completed the video for the secondary, how did you approach it? Did you just record yourself sitting down and answering the questions or did you make your video more "interesting"?
mine was legit me sitting down talking in my gaming chair (a discord notification went off also LOL) and responding to the questions

mine was legit me sitting down talking in my gaming chair (a discord notification went off also LOL) and responding to the questions

Current student as well. I know some people in my class that did it really formal and dressed up and answered the questions. I also know of people that did magic tricks and role playing things. It’s really up to you!

I had a question for the current students. How do you guys like the curriculum and teaching style? From what I'm reading it seems quite untraditional without an actual lecture class. Does it seem like you guys are just self learning the material or is there also significant faculty involvement and help?

I had a question for the current students. How do you guys like the curriculum and teaching style? From what I'm reading it seems quite untraditional without an actual lecture class. Does it seem like you guys are just self learning the material or is there also significant faculty involvement and help?
Current OMS1 here. I would say it depends on your learning style. You will have to watch lectures posted online on your own or with your group, but faculty evolvement is very high. They constantly walk around to see if anyone has questions and they are very responsive when you send them an email, even after hours and weekends. They also hold open door tutoring/office hours if you need more face-to-face time with them. Everyone in the school really want you to succeed so they will help as much as they can.

If you want to be a loner and study on your own, I guess you could. If you want to be a team player and have discussions with your pod mates you can. Honestly, I used to be a loner but I found that talking over and even teaching the concepts to others really help cement the knowledge with very little effort. (just the effort to actually be sociable)

Mine was me in tshirt and shorts out on a field just talking about my family and hobbies. Do what you feel more comfortable with. They are trying to get to know YOU, not who you think they want to know

Current OMS1 here. I would say it depends on your learning style. You will have to watch lectures posted online on your own or with your group, but faculty evolvement is very high. They constantly walk around to see if anyone has questions and they are very responsive when you send them an email, even after hours and weekends. They also hold open door tutoring/office hours if you need more face-to-face time with them. Everyone in the school really want you to succeed so they will help as much as they can.

If you want to be a loner and study on your own, I guess you could. If you want to be a team player and have discussions with your pod mates you can. Honestly, I used to be a loner but I found that talking over and even teaching the concepts to others really help cement the knowledge with very little effort. (just the effort to actually be sociable)
Are the pods assigned or do you pick people that you meet during orientation?

Are there any current students lurking the thread that I could speak to about the interview and how to prep? Anyone also know if it’s closed or open file? Thanks!
I'm a first year! Feel free to message me for any advice

I've always been sort of a self-learner so I actually don't mind the teaching class. It does allow us to work at our own pace. There are also different times for the pods so if you're not a morning person or even like studying in the morning, you'd be able to attend a pod that suits you. Even though the faculty doesn't teach traditional classes, they are still extremely involved. We use this app called Pronto where we sort of have a class groupchat for each course. So if one person has a question, anyone else from the class or the professors respond on there. I've noticed that the learning here is very collaborative and almost everyone tries to help you do your best.

Would you say the online lectures posted are extremely detailed in the coverage of material? I really like the idea of being able to kind of study on your own and at your own pace, but definitely have some fears considering its medical school and the amount of information needed to remember is a huge amount.

Is there also quizzes/exams for each course that are similar to board style questions?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer, I know you guys are probably incredibly busy!

I've always been sort of a self-learner so I actually don't mind the teaching class. It does allow us to work at our own pace. There are also different times for the pods so if you're not a morning person or even like studying in the morning, you'd be able to attend a pod that suits you. Even though the faculty doesn't teach traditional classes, they are still extremely involved. We use this app called Pronto where we sort of have a class groupchat for each course. So if one person has a question, anyone else from the class or the professors respond on there. I've noticed that the learning here is very collaborative and almost everyone tries to help you do your best.
That sounds great! Yea I really think my main worry about the recorded lectures was honestly if it went into enough detail to really fully grasp all the topics.

That sounds great! Yea I really think my main worry about the recorded lectures was honestly if it went into enough detail to really fully grasp all the topics.

Yes the lectures are more packed with content and don’t really have any fluff like the typical lecture might. I think they are much easier to focus on then a big lecture. Also there is a quiz every day over the material you learned that day that are always in board style question format! It seems kind of scary because it’s a new style but so far I love it and I wouldn’t be worried at all!