2022-2023 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pretty much agree with everything Hepful Doc mentioned.

I come from NYC so it is definitely very different. However, the nature here is beautiful and there are tons of trails for hiking. I've gotten really into hiking especially since you're going to be spending the majority of your time staring at a computer screen studying. The weather here has been great and I don't find the summers to be too hot.

As mentioned, we're near El Paso so that is a good option for food and other activities. But we're also not too far from Albuquerque and Tuscon so those are nice weekend trips after an exam. Additionally, we are right by the border. Flights from Ciudad Juarez to almost anywhere in Mexico are cheap. Weekend trips to Cancun or Mexico City are very doable.

In regards to the crime, most of the cars that I've seen get broken into are due to people leaving their doors unlocked, valuable left in very visible areas of the car or just stuff left in the bed of a pickup truck. I currently live in the downtown area which probably has the most crime but I've never had an issue.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Are there good apartments for avoiding the car jacking and have a nice place to study?
I heard CopperStone and basically anywhere northeast of BCOM (Like Sonoma Palms) has the nicer places, unsure of price though

Just sent admissions an update that I won’t be interviewing due to other school options i feel are best for me, hoping it goes to one of you fellow applicants! Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Let’s chat through conversation . I would luv to discuss pros and cons for each school that we got “A” s and IIs and make a sound decision .

@@WizardofBones. I was impressed with the presentation and my II and really
Like the school. Do you have any update on elevated Accreditation monitoring ? Also, do they offer any scholarships to OOS applicants to sweeten the deal?

@@WizardofBones. I was impressed with the presentation and my II and really
Like the school. Do you have any update on elevated Accreditation monitoring ? Also, do they offer any scholarships to OOS applicants to sweeten the deal?
So, in regards to accreditation monitoring, this was given to BCOM in February 2020. The school made changes to address the issues that COCA cited and in December 2020 COCA told BCOM that the school is compliant with all standards. I believe the next update to these things isn't until 2024 so as long as nothing changes by then, BCOM will no longer have the elevated monitoring status.
For scholarships, i think we only have scholarships for students that are from this region originally or if you plan on practicing in the area for 2-4 years after residency

Reactions: 2 users
Had interview today — disappointed bc everyone seemed to have positive experiences but my interviewers didn’t seem interested in facilitating convo to get to kno me more:( afraid I blew my shot I rly like this school. Hoping for the best
Current 4th year student. It might have felt that way but don't read too much into it. Have faith! I felt similar when I had my interview. My interviewers seemed displeased with any answer I gave and just moved on to the next question. I left that interview thinking no way I'm getting in after that. Happy to say it worked out.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know how long they usually take to get back on acceptances? They said 3-4 weeks on interview day, but I'm hoping for a bit sooner.

Current 4th year student. It might have felt that way but don't read too much into it. Have faith! I felt similar when I had my interview. My interviewers seemed displeased with any answer I gave and just moved on to the next question. I left that interview thinking no way I'm getting in after that. Happy to say it worked out.
I second this. I got a good cop and bad cop interviewer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted. 9/9 interview. If y'all have any questions feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 1 users
I have seen u a lot in threads just wanted to say congrats on everything u accomplished thus far!!🫶🫶
You would one day be recognized and appreciated by your patients. Very nice words from you.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Got an A two days ago. Got flagged as “promotions” in my gmail so make sure you are checking all your email folders lol

Are there good apartments for avoiding the car jacking and have a nice place to study?
Hey OMSI here. I live at the flats. It’s great, most first years live here so you really get to make good connections/friendships. It’s quiet and they have study rooms in the lobby as well. ~3-5 mins commute to campus :)

• Love
Did anyone else who has gotten an A receive an invitation from admissions to attend a Stop the Bleed course? Looks like there are in-person and virtual options.

I plan to visit the campus and look at the facilities. Any tips/pointers are welcome. Should I make a formal request to admissions?

I plan to visit the campus and look at the facilities. Any tips/pointers are welcome. Should I make a formal request to admissions?
I would reach out to admissions so they can give you some days that might be better to visit and they might ask current students to be available to answer any questions you might have

Anybody who already interviewed, could you share a little about your experience?

Interview got moved up ahead by over a month! If you want your interview to be moved up I would try calling them! Very nice people at admissions

Interview got moved up ahead by over a month! If you want your interview to be moved up I would try calling them! Very nice people at admissions
I sent them an email asking to have me placed on their contact list in case someone with an earlier date cancels so I can take their slot. Should I still call tomorrow and ask? I just want to avoid looking annoying

I sent them an email asking to have me placed on their contact list in case someone with an earlier date cancels so I can take their slot. Should I still call tomorrow and ask? I just want to avoid looking annoying

I called them! They were very nice people

9/23 interviewer here. I thought we may hear back last Friday (3 week mark) so I’m hoping it’s this week. Lots of A’s it looks like :)

How do you know "lots of A's?" know some insider info ha?
I was just referring to the previous round of interviews, it looked like a lot of people got accepted since they all posted on here. Not totally sure either way though

I had my II on 14th and got an "A" on October 4th(About 3 weeks)
I have a feeling more "A"s will be released after the November ONLINE acceptance deadline (December is the deposit deadline)