2008-2009 Wake Forest University Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live 1.5 hours away, and no mail yet- though my post office is closed on saturday... maybe tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad.

got my financial aid on Friday up in the northeast

I still haven't received a financial aid package :confused:. Is there anyone else on here that hasn't received their FA package?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did wake change their phone number...I havent been able to get up with them...can someone confirm this number??? 336-714-4264

Finally received my FA package and unfortunately I'm disappointed with the offer :(. I love Wake, but it is really expensive!

Finally received my FA package and unfortunately I'm disappointed with the offer :(. I love Wake, but it is really expensive!
Too bad. Sounds like you are going to have to withdraw....please?

Did you just receive it today?

I received it yesterday.

Too bad. Sounds like you are going to have to withdraw....please?

I havent decided yet. Sounds like you liked Wake as much as me. Good luck on the waitlist.

:laugh:

So you just got all loans, I presume?

I was offered a small scholarship which I'm grateful for. Unfortunately, since I received a full scholarship to my state school it looks like it will be hard for me to justify forking over so much $$$ to go to Wake.

I was offered a small scholarship which I'm grateful for. Unfortunately, since I received a full scholarship to my state school it looks like it will be hard for me to justify forking over so much $$$ to go to Wake.

I'm in the exact same position. I was really fortunate to have undergrad paid for so this $60,000 a year is looking pretty daunting. Oh well, my wife will be working so that will help :D

In all seriousness I feel everyone's pain in the money department. Every school that I am waitlisted at is going to be 60k+. Even my acceptance is sitting right at 60k with cost of living factored in. Either way, good luck with the decisions.

In all seriousness I feel everyone's pain in the money department. Every school that I am waitlisted at is going to be 60k+. Even my acceptance is sitting right at 60k with cost of living factored in. Either way, good luck with the decisions.

Does anyone know how much the average (small) scholarship is?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the exact same position. I was really fortunate to have undergrad paid for so this $60,000 a year is looking pretty daunting. Oh well, my wife will be working so that will help :D

You received a full scholarship to your state med school and you're still planning on going to Wake?

You received a full scholarship to your state med school and you're still planning on going to Wake?

Oops, I misread your post! For some reason, when you wrote about getting full scholarship from your state school, I thought about undergrad...not medical school. My bad. I guess I got to that idea because I've had undergrad paid for, and it's hard for me to imagine paying this much money to a medical school.

Hey, I am in the exact same position right now. I was offered a full scholarship to my state school, but I really REALLY liked Wake. I was just wondering what you ultimately decided. I know this has been one of the toughest decisions I have ever had to make!

Hey, I am in the exact same position right now. I was offered a full scholarship to my state school, but I really REALLY liked Wake. I was just wondering what you ultimately decided. I know this has been one of the toughest decisions I have ever had to make!

I really haven't decided yet. I was set on Wake, then I found out I got the full scholarship to my state school. EVERYONE is telling me that I'm crazy if I turn down the "free school." I don't know what to do. What did you decide?

I just called and declined my position in the class. Wake was my top choice, but I couldn't justify paying over $30k more a year than my state school. I hope someone on SDN gets my spot!

I have heard from lots of med students and residents that the school you go to doesn't matter as much as how well you score on boards and how good your letters of recommendation are as far as matching goes. I think that is something you should take into consideration, but also consider the teaching style and the environment of the schools you are considering. Just my two cents. Good luck to all on the waiting list and congrats on those who have been accepted -- NC is an awesome state and Wake is a great school!!

Maybe there will be some action tomorrow...

no movement today? that's so weird

I really haven't decided yet. I was set on Wake, then I found out I got the full scholarship to my state school. EVERYONE is telling me that I'm crazy if I turn down the "free school." I don't know what to do. What did you decide?

Sorry for the delay in response, but I just got around to checking the site again. I ended up turning down my state school (I'm sure people think I am crazy, as well). I don't know what your situation was, but the term "free" was sort of deceptive. I was offered a "full scholarship" to cover tuition for four years, meaning $25,000 a year. However, the rest of my fees and living costs were not covered by the scholarship, so I still would have had to take out a decent amount in loans. I received some (not a huge amount) scholarship money to go to Wake and just weighed the pros and cons. If you want more detail about my situation, feel free to PM me. I don't want to bore everyone else! I know it is after May 1st, but hopefully this is somewhat helpful for you. Good luck!

Sorry for the delay in response, but I just got around to checking the site again. I ended up turning down my state school (I'm sure people think I am crazy, as well). I don't know what your situation was, but the term "free" was sort of deceptive. I was offered a "full scholarship" to cover tuition for four years, meaning $25,000 a year. However, the rest of my fees and living costs were not covered by the scholarship, so I still would have had to take out a decent amount in loans. I received some (not a huge amount) scholarship money to go to Wake and just weighed the pros and cons. If you want more detail about my situation, feel free to PM me. I don't want to bore everyone else! I know it is after May 1st, but hopefully this is somewhat helpful for you. Good luck!

Looks like we took this plunge together. I also decided to go to Wake. I guess in the end I felt like WFUSM was where I would be the happiest even if it cost me substantially more money. I guess I'll see you July 23rd, according to the new pre-enrollment guide which can be found here:

http://www1.wfubmc.edu/MDProgram/Admissions/incoming+medical+students

I just got accepted from the waitlist, through email! Be on the lookout!

Edit: Oops...didn't realize there was a waitlist thread. Carry on...

Last edited:
Will they tell you your approximate position on the WL if you call?

Status
Not open for further replies.