2023-2024 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone planning on tying a "Why Us" into the prompt "If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below."? I have some specific reasons why I'm interested in UCSF but I've heard conflicting advice on if you should really include any "Why Us" aspect into T20 schools

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone planning on tying a "Why Us" into the prompt "If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below."? I have some specific reasons why I'm interested in UCSF but I've heard conflicting advice on if you should really include any "Why Us" aspect into T20 schools
I did. I get the argument about wanting to go because they're T20s and it goes without saying. But I still tried to find something that was unique about each school so I could bring in my personal interests more. Other than that, I'm just another high-stat applicant demanding to be let in. But I could be wrong we'll see :)

Also, FWIW Cornell had a "Why Us" as one of their prompts, so maybe it doesn't totally go without saying.

I also tied in a why this for that one prompt. Also, can someone explain how they pick who gets secondaries? Was it just a stat cutoff or a holistic review?
Holistic review by UCSF and UCLA. UCSF seems to offer secondaries to ~1/3 of applicants

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone verified around 7/15 get a secondary yet?

• Dislike
For the ethical and legal standards question, if I have an IA that was noted and described on my primary app, do you think they want me to 'disclose' it again or do I select the 'nothing additional to disclose' option? Thanks!

IS secondary received 6 pm! did not expect that ORM LM 70

Reactions: 3 users
If anyone is applying to PRIME, are y’all writing anything for the “expand on your activities” prompt or just answering the prime questions? I feel like after the prime application a lot of my stuff would just repeat??

Anyone having issues with the way UCSF's application counts words? I'm using a markdown editor and it says I only have 496 words, but UCSF is counting it as 500.

Anyone having issues with the way UCSF's application counts words? I'm using a markdown editor and it says I only have 496 words, but UCSF is counting it as 500.
Yep I had issues too and just had to cut down to make it work for UCSF’s system.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS and still waiting too. gonna turn my brain off until it inevitably shows up in september or i get rejected 🤠

IS verified 6/26 and still waiting for secondary too, got UCLA's a few weeks ago

Does anyone know if getting a secondary means UCSF is cool with your prereqs? I'm not sure if I fit their ochem one but I do have an explanation, but I don't necessarily want to call attention to it in my secondary.

Also +1 IS! LM 69 if that gives anyone hope :)

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if they pre-screen MCAT section scores? or MCAT at all? Sooooo bummed I haven't gotten a secondary yet. And seeing all these high stat applicants getting them makes me feel like I might've been screened out due to stats....
Yes they do screen before secondary

yesssirrrrr finally IS secondary received! Verified 6/1, happy friday y’all!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Still waiting IS :( verified 06/09.

• Care
OOS secondaries received just now, thought i was screened out lmaooo

verified 6/5

Hi, just wanted to know if the first prompt should only be an expansion on activities or if anyone is connecting this to why UCSF?

Hi, just wanted to know if the first prompt should only be an expansion on activities or if anyone is connecting this to why UCSF?
I expanded on one of my most-meaningful activities and tied it into why UCSF by relating it to their emphasis on public service/social justice if that makes sense... I think it's supposed to be more geared toward an expansion on activities, but if you can connect the activity to programs at UCSF then that's always a plus

OOS secondary received on 8/3 , verified 7/6 , 512 (with a 123 CARS) / 3.70 cumulative and science

Did anyone's secondary say it submitted at a later time? It seems like it is 6 hours behind - I submitted today August 6 at 6:50 pm PST and the status says submitted August 7th at 1:50 am. I doubt it makes a difference, but kind of weird.

Did anyone's secondary say it submitted at a later time? It seems like it is 6 hours behind - I submitted today August 6 at 6:50 pm PST and the status says submitted August 7th at 1:50 am. I doubt it makes a difference, but kind of weird.
Mine said the same thing, I also just submitted haha

verified 6/29 and still haven't received secondary :( thought I had good stats but seems like my app might have been forgotten

verified 6/29 and still haven't received secondary :( thought I had good stats but seems like my app might have been forgotten
Still haven't received one either verified 6/20. There's still plenty of time to get one so I wouldn't worry too much yet!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was verified 6/2 and still haven't gotten one... If you've been forgotten, I definitely have! 😅 But I think they're still going through them... They said they would send secondaries 3-10 weeks after receiving, which is in September for me, so you still have time! I'd wait a bit more before assuming an R

I was verified 6/2 and still haven't gotten one... If you've been forgotten, I definitely have! 😅 But I think they're still going through them... They said they would send secondaries 3-10 weeks after receiving, which is in September for me, so you still have time! I'd wait a bit more before assuming an R
I have a friend that received a secondary in December last year.
If you have not received one by now just assume it's not coming, and get ecstatic once you get it.

I still haven't received secondaries from UCSF and UCLA, oh and UCI, should I email them now?

I still haven't received secondaries from UCSF and UCLA, oh and UCI, should I email them now?
If you read the rest of the comments above yours you'll see that UCSF is sending out secondaries gradually.
Only email a school to ask if it has been over a month since they received your primary, and if you know that they generally send secondaries to everyone.

Reactions: 4 users
If you read the rest of the comments above yours you'll see that UCSF is sending out secondaries gradually.
Only email a school to ask if it has been over a month since they received your primary, and if you know that they generally send secondaries to everyone.
So probably don't email UCLA AND UCI either?

• Wow