2023-2024 Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I graduated as an engineer so I only have 14 hours of humanities courses. How do I get these exempted?
Humanities include languages , art, psych, music, history, philosophy for some examples. Didn’t you need these for general graduation requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received an Emory MSTP secondary app yet? I’m confused because I was verified well before the first day to submit primaries but haven’t gotten anything back. None of my stats are low enough to be screened out by any school that I know of. My personal statements were really strong. Any thoughts?
i havent yet! Also verified super early

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received an Emory MSTP secondary app yet? I’m confused because I was verified well before the first day to submit primaries but haven’t gotten anything back. None of my stats are low enough to be screened out by any school that I know of. My personal statements were really strong. Any thoughts?
I received one on 7/28

would you mind share the prompt?
1. Select Emory Research Faculty

Refer to the websites below to identify five (5) current research faculty you would like to meet if you are selected for an interview.
Carefully review these websites to be sure your training goals aligh with the focus of your selected graduate programs. The faculty you select must be affiliated with the graduate programs identified as your first or second choice, with the majority affiliated with your first choice program.

Do not list faculty who are providing a letter of recommendation for you, or in whose lab you have worked.
It is important that you include the following information for each of the faculty you select:

• Full name
  • Department
  • How their research relates to your interests and goals as a physician-scientist

2. Please use the following template to list all of your significant* research in CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, with the latest project listed last. Be sure to include all of the following information for each project:
  • Experience Type
  • Dates (month/yyyy – month/yyyy)
  • Hours/week
  • Supervisor (PI) Name and Title
  • Organization Name
  • City, State or Country
  • Poster/Presentation Title
  • Description of Project and Your Role
If you list your experience type as Research/Lab, you must include a letter of recommendation from the mentor or supervisor, no matter the length of time of the experience. You may choose not to list high school research experiences, but if you do, a letter of recommendation must be provided for each project.
If any mentor is unable to submit a letter, please indicate the reason (e.g., illness, disability, departure from university, etc.), particularly if you spent a significant amount of time in their lab. A letter confirming that reason should be sent by your Dean or your pre-health advising office to Emory School of Medicine via the AMCAS Letter Service.
You may submit additional letters of recommendation that are not specifically related to your research, as long as they shed unique light on your application and preparedness for the MD/PhD program. Applicants to the MD/PhD program may send as many recommendation letters as needed, but all letters must be sent to Emory via the AMCAS Letter Service.
*We understand that the pandemic has interrupted research plans for many, so please include any mentored research-focused activities that you participated in during the pandemic, regardless of length. This would include virtual/remote projects.

3. Enter ALL publications in CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, with the most recent publication listed last, using standard citation format. This should include materials that you reported on your AMCAS application and any new publications since that time.

4. List your entire curriculum plan for the 2023-2024 academic year. If you are not in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year.

5. Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.

6. Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected.

7. Emory School of Medicine is committed to recruiting and educating medical students who will help deliver quality health care and will promote the health of our patients. In our community, this includes learning about and addressing the health care needs of our most under-served populations. Please describe any of your activities that have been in service to under-served communities.

8. If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below.

@wysdoc

Members don't see this ad :)
Essay Prompts:

1. List your entire curriculum plan for the 2023-2024 academic year. If you are not in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year. (200 words)

2. Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences. (200 words)

3. Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected. (200 words)

4. Emory School of Medicine is committed to recruiting and educating medical students who will help deliver quality health care and will promote the health of our patients. In our community, this includes learning about and addressing the health care needs of our most under-served populations. Please describe any of your activities that have been in service to under-served communities. (200 words)

5. If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below. (200 words)

Is it looked down upon to submit more than 3 letters? I want to submit 4, but I don't wanna piss em off

1. Select Emory Research Faculty

Refer to the websites below to identify five (5) current research faculty you would like to meet if you are selected for an interview.
Carefully review these websites to be sure your training goals aligh with the focus of your selected graduate programs. The faculty you select must be affiliated with the graduate programs identified as your first or second choice, with the majority affiliated with your first choice program.

Do not list faculty who are providing a letter of recommendation for you, or in whose lab you have worked.
It is important that you include the following information for each of the faculty you select:

• Full name
  • Department
  • How their research relates to your interests and goals as a physician-scientist

2. Please use the following template to list all of your significant* research in CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, with the latest project listed last. Be sure to include all of the following information for each project:
  • Experience Type
  • Dates (month/yyyy – month/yyyy)
  • Hours/week
  • Supervisor (PI) Name and Title
  • Organization Name
  • City, State or Country
  • Poster/Presentation Title
  • Description of Project and Your Role
If you list your experience type as Research/Lab, you must include a letter of recommendation from the mentor or supervisor, no matter the length of time of the experience. You may choose not to list high school research experiences, but if you do, a letter of recommendation must be provided for each project.
If any mentor is unable to submit a letter, please indicate the reason (e.g., illness, disability, departure from university, etc.), particularly if you spent a significant amount of time in their lab. A letter confirming that reason should be sent by your Dean or your pre-health advising office to Emory School of Medicine via the AMCAS Letter Service.
You may submit additional letters of recommendation that are not specifically related to your research, as long as they shed unique light on your application and preparedness for the MD/PhD program. Applicants to the MD/PhD program may send as many recommendation letters as needed, but all letters must be sent to Emory via the AMCAS Letter Service.
*We understand that the pandemic has interrupted research plans for many, so please include any mentored research-focused activities that you participated in during the pandemic, regardless of length. This would include virtual/remote projects.

3. Enter ALL publications in CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, with the most recent publication listed last, using standard citation format. This should include materials that you reported on your AMCAS application and any new publications since that time.

4. List your entire curriculum plan for the 2023-2024 academic year. If you are not in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year.

5. Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.

6. Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected.

7. Emory School of Medicine is committed to recruiting and educating medical students who will help deliver quality health care and will promote the health of our patients. In our community, this includes learning about and addressing the health care needs of our most under-served populations. Please describe any of your activities that have been in service to under-served communities.

8. If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below.

@wysdoc
Thank you!! Just got mine a bit earlier!

Is it looked down upon to submit more than 3 letters? I want to submit 4, but I don't wanna piss em off
I'm sure it's ok. They probably won't look at all of the letters and just read three of them.

For course requirements, it asks for 8 total hours of Orgo. My university only offered Orgo I, Orgo II, and an Orgo II lab so I have 7 hours out of 8. Does anybody know if my application will be thrown out by the admissions committee because I do not meet the requirements? Thanks.

Humanities include languages , art, psych, music, history, philosophy for some examples. Didn’t you need these for general graduation requirements?
could i include an extra english class as humanities credits? I already have two (english 1 and 2) that fulfill the english requirement, but i also took an additional one that was writing intensive.

could i include an extra english class as humanities credits? I already have two (english 1 and 2) that fulfill the english requirement, but i also took an additional one that was writing intensive.
Give it a try, especially if it's a literature class.
See also my next post: #188

Last edited:
i contacted admissions just now and was told psychology may not count as a humanity / social science?

i contacted admissions just now and was told psychology may not count as a humanity / social science?
You know, sometimes the receptionist or clerk answering the phone is not completely knowledgeable on everything.
Your best source is always the website which says:

Lastly, you will need to complete at least 18 hours of coursework (6 semester-long courses) in the Humanities and Social Sciences.
Examples of courses that meet this requirement include:

• Anthropology
  • Art/Art Appreciation/Art History
  • Black Studies/African American Studies
  • Classical Studies
  • Economics
  • Foreign Languages
  • History
  • Journalism
  • Literature
  • Music/Music Appreciation
  • Philosophy
  • Political Science
  • Psychology
  • Religion
  • Sociology
  • Theater/Film Studies
  • Women’s Studies

Reactions: 2 users
for course requirements it says requires 8 credits but at my school, each semester course was 3 credits so the total is 6 for me. Also, for my general chem and general phys with lab, they were full year courses so I only have one class to put for those as the grades were received at the end of the second semester. I am not quite sure what to do

Last edited:
My humanities courses overlapped with the English/writing fulfillment, but I cannot repeat courses in the Emory pre-requisite selection part of the application. What should I do?
Check the FAQ page on the secondary portal. There is a lot of courses they count for humanities credits listed on that page. I included stuff like government, history, pre-cal, etc because they listed all those as humanities courses on the FAQ page

for course requirements it says requires 8 credits but at my school, each semester course was 3 credits so the total is 6 for me. Also, for my general chem and general phys with lab, they were full year courses so I only have one class to put for those as the grades were received at the end of the second semester. I am not quite sure what to do
Try emailing them and asking if those would count! I’m sure there are other schools that may be different so they should have some way of accepting it

When I upload my headshot into the portal, it turns slightly blurry. When viewing it on my desktop or anywhere else, it looks crystal clear. Has this been happening to anyone else? I think it's a normal thing with these portals and I should be good just submitting it, but wanted to double-check.

When I upload my headshot into the portal, it turns slightly blurry. When viewing it on my desktop or anywhere else, it looks crystal clear. Has this been happening to anyone else? I think it's a normal thing with these portals and I should be good just submitting it, but wanted to double-check.
Happened to me too! I just sort of ignored it.

how come the last essay question asking if there are any updates is required? what are you guys putting for this question? is anyone just saying no new updates or not answering it? i dont have anything new.

Just curious, on the confirmation email for submission of the secondary app, it states "If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted immediately." and "No completed applicant is rejected during our interview season. All applications remain in review until the end of February. The only change in your status would be to notify you that you have been selected for an interview (which we will do immediately)." and "We know that you are eager to hear from us, but please refrain from contacting us to check on the status of your application. We promise to notify you immediately if you are selected for interview."

Does Emory typically send out interviews very quickly or why do they keep emphasizing the "immediately"?

Reactions: 2 users
For the last question on updates since submitting AMCAS, should I leave it blank if I explained any updates in my "plans for coming year" question? I started a new job after submitting my primary so I have everything explained in there including roles and duties. I don't want to be redundant but also it is considered new information so idk

For this question: List your entire curriculum plan for the 2023-2024 academic year. If you are not in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year.

Are we supposed to just list the courses we're taking or also include activities outside of school?

For this question: List your entire curriculum plan for the 2023-2024 academic year. If you are not in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year.

Are we supposed to just list the courses we're taking or also include activities outside of school?
I put activities outside of school

I received OOS MSTP secondary on August 1

One of my prereqs was taken P/F (spring 2020). It is the only one taken pass fail, but AMCAS records P/F courses as 1 credit instead of 4 so I cannot complete my Prereq section for my secondary. Should I email admissions?