WVSOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone! Is anyone here interviewing on March 5th? Maybe we can go together. I see that 75% of people interviewed are accepted yay!!! =)

Im interviewing on the 5th also!! But im coming from NJ :/

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted! Not sure if WVSOM is where im headed yet. I missed out on the tour of the school because of weather so I may be making a trip back up there to check it out.

Soo, is anyone interviewing on March 1st? If so, I'll see you there!!! :)

Thank you Angie Bowyer for pushing all my papers through and getting me the interview so quickly!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Not sure if WVSOM is where im headed yet. I missed out on the tour of the school because of weather so I may be making a trip back up there to check it out.

If you were going on the tour on feb 5th I know your pain, I was supposed to be on that tour.

So if people who interviewed last week got an acceptance or decision Holla. Are they usually right on time as far as being able to give decision the Tuesday of the week after the interview?

So if people who interviewed last week got an acceptance or decision Holla. Are they usually right on time as far as being able to give decision the Tuesday of the week after the interview?

Not always. I found out 2 1/2 weeks after my interview. Depends on how busy they are...and granted, I interviewed on April 3rd last year...pretty late. You may hear today since it's earlier on. I'll cross my fingers for you, good luck!

Not always. I found out 2 1/2 weeks after my interview. Depends on how busy they are...and granted, I interviewed on April 3rd last year...pretty late. You may hear today since it's earlier on. I'll cross my fingers for you, good luck!

Thank you so much, I really liked the school. Hopefully I get in if not I will reapply. Yeah they told me a reply within two weeks and that the committee would meet today. Kind of not paying attention in my classes ha.

I've been lurking and finally decided to register. My status just changed to "decision deffered" and am bummed I didn't get an interview invite. Anyone else that was in the position and still get an invite?

If you were going on the tour on feb 5th I know your pain, I was supposed to be on that tour.

Yea, that was my interview day. It was very short, and ended with a 5 1/2 hour drive home going 35 mph haha.

So if it says ACCEPT Applicant on my status does that mean I am in?

I've been lurking and finally decided to register. My status just changed to "decision deffered" and am bummed I didn't get an interview invite. Anyone else that was in the position and still get an invite?

I had the exact same status a few weeks ago and then I did a really smart thing and called the WVSOM office. I spoke to Angie Bowyer (who is extremely helpful, as is Annette Moore, the other lady in admissions) and I asked her why my status was decision deferred. Turns out the "packet" that had my MCAT information was not updated, although it was received by the admissions office. Soon after, I made an appointment with Danny Seams, a counsler I believe, to get a tour and when admissions got the e-mail that I wanted to tour the campus they pushed to get me an interview so I didn't have to drive down twice. Honestly, they got me an interview date within three weeks! They are, hands down, the best staff I have ever spoken to. Without even seeing the campus, I want to go there because everyone was so friendly and helpful on the phoen!

Moral of the Story: Call the admissions office asap and see what's going on.

scaredoflife: Ya! You and me both!...how exciting:)

Yea, that was my interview day. It was very short, and ended with a 5 1/2 hour drive home going 35 mph haha.

yea....I went home the next day. We had a bit further to go, but the driving was ok.

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Jaeblink for confirming congrats as well!

Soo...I have an interview in a couple weeks and I'm having trouble finding a place to stay! Most of the hotels/inns in the area seem to be pretty expensive and almost half of them don't have any room's available for when I need them! Anyone have suggestions as to where they stayed for their interviews?

My husband and I used Priceline.com to lower the hotel price, but you don't get to choose where you stay, it depends on what hotel take the bid. So we stayed at the Holiday Inn for 80 something instead of the 100 something they charge. Not a lot different, but it was cheaper that it would have been. Though keep in mind, Holiday doesn't have a suttle. We drove, so it wasn't a big deal for us.

I just interviewed last friday, and I stayed at the General Lewis Inn. On the website, it says 150$ a night for a room, but they give discounts if you say you are interviewing. I got a very very nice room for 70$ a night.

Soo...I have an interview in a couple weeks and I'm having trouble finding a place to stay! Most of the hotels/inns in the area seem to be pretty expensive and almost half of them don't have any room's available for when I need them! Anyone have suggestions as to where they stayed for their interviews?

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express both for my interview and this past weekend/Monday night while I was in Lewisburg searching for a place to live. I think it was like $80/night or something, with a free breakfast. There's also a nice pool and hot tub. I definitely enjoyed my stay there and recommend it.

Anyone interviewing on 2/26? I'm a little worried about traveling through the storm..

Anyone interviewing on 2/26? I'm a little worried about traveling through the storm..

Drive very carefully! Be prepared with backup supplies/food/water just in case. I will be driving that day as well from MI for my 3/1 interview and it's supposed to snow the WHOLE 8.5hr drive. Joy...

Goodluck with your interview! :)

I have stayed at the following

Days inn was nice, had a continental breakfast and cost 60 dollars

Hapmton Inn was great, amazing breakfast, super nice staff, free shuttle (a must if you dont have a car there, no taxis), and only 90 a night.

Also I have walked through the General Lewis Inn. It is really cool, and old fashioned (mot modern), however the rooms are a bit small.

Accepted !!! Soo happyy. Annette Moore was like a mom to us all that day, I really had a wonderful experience.

Anyone from the current students at WVSOM that can speare some advise in regards websites with house rentals. Couldn't find anything on craigslist, barely any photos of Lewisburg on the net.

Help is greatly appreciated

Anyone from the current students at WVSOM that can speare some advise in regards websites with house rentals. Couldn't find anything on craigslist, barely any photos of Lewisburg on the net.

Hey DocBaby I would check out the facebook group for 2014. I checked it out before and people would help you locate places or tell you about there spaces going up for rent. Also there are many current WVSOM peeps in there so they will be glad to help you locate places.

Congrats on getting in see you fall of 2010

After your first depoit you get access to the housing website.

When do you submit first deposit after they send you offiicial letter? And how long does the letter take?

I have stayed at the following

Days inn was nice, had a continental breakfast and cost 60 dollars

Hapmton Inn was great, amazing breakfast, super nice staff, free shuttle (a must if you dont have a car there, no taxis), and only 90 a night.

Also I have walked through the General Lewis Inn. It is really cool, and old fashioned (mot modern), however the rooms are a bit small.

Thanks to Lynndaleena, starburstsbabe, Dr.Mom922, and Biology101!! I'm going to look at all those options and will hopefully be able to find something!

Thank you everyone for your responses. I will check the link out after I submit my check.
They say we should pay an initial deposit of $2000 and a second one of $1000 by March 15th. Both by March 15th or just the first one?

I still can't get over it.....I am soooo happyyy :D:love:

Thank you everyone for your responses. I will check the link out after I submit my check.
They say we should pay an initial deposit of $2000 and a second one of $1000 by March 15th. Both by March 15th or just the first one?

I still can't get over it.....I am soooo happyyy :D:love:

well....it depends when you were accepted. I was accepted way back in november so my first deposit (2000) was due on Dec 15 and my second is due on March 15 (1000) so it depends when you are accepted, though the later that is, the less time between deposits. Past a certain date you need to pay them immediately.

Hope this helps

Thank you Bio101
yes I was accepted this past Tuesday, so I might need to send the entire $3000 by March 15th, thanks for the input

anyone know if the class is full yet? and r the ppl still interviewing for actual spots in the class, just wondering?

anyone know if the class is full yet? and r the ppl still interviewing for actual spots in the class, just wondering?

I doubt it...it is still kinda early...I would say like 75%?....I mean I think they interview until late April or early may.

Last edited:
I doubt it...it is still kinda early...I would say like 75%?....I mean I think they interview until late April or early may.

Actually, this time last year, the class was entirely full. I interviewed April 3 and it was for the alternate list only. I was invited for that interview at the end of February--the class was full by the beginning of March. I don't know if history will repeat itself, but this was at least the case for the 08-09 application cycle.

Actually, this time last year, the class was entirely full. I interviewed April 3 and it was for the alternate list only. I was invited for that interview at the end of February--the class was full by the beginning of March. I don't know if history will repeat itself, but this was at least the case for the 08-09 application cycle.

wow ok....sorry about that I stand corrected.

Thanks for the correction MissDo!

I interviewed on the 5th too and totally missed the tour. I was planning to head back as well but I'm not sure of when cause of all the weather

I interviewed on the 5th too and totally missed the tour. I was planning to head back as well but I'm not sure of when cause of all the weather

yea...I was there to show my parents and gf the school, but alas, it was too snowy. If you watch the video that is posted to the facebook group it does a really good job of showing the campus and buildings. It is out dated though, so the buildings that it says they are building...they are already built.

Good news to you guys!

I did not submit my deposit today meaning one more spot is open for someone!

I really really loved the school but I will be saving 150K by going to another med school.

A little sad about the decision. If only it wasn't so expensive.

Good news to you guys!

I did not submit my deposit today meaning one more spot is open for someone!

I really really loved the school but I will be saving 150K by going to another med school.

A little sad about the decision. If only it wasn't so expensive.

where can you go to med school for 4 years, plus expenses that is less than 50 grand?

Well I mean you can go to lecom and save about 80 grand but I didn't know you could you save 150 grand going to another school. Where is that I would like to know as well?

Just got accepted online today. Really excited!!! Let the journey begin.

Well I mean you can go to lecom and save about 80 grand but I didn't know you could you save 150 grand going to another school. Where is that I would like to know as well?

The cost of attendance (COA) at WVSOM ~ 80K/year (I called the FA and it will be a lil higher for 3rd and 4th year, but this doesn't really matter) So lets just say ~80K/year

Total WVSOM = 320K

Lets pick LECOM as an example which is ~ 55K (Any school that falls between 50 and 60K COA will end up saving you ~ 150K in reality)

Total LECOM = 220K

I plan to pay my loans back in 10 years (which is done by the majority). There is a stafford loan max of 224K meaning that the extra I would have to pay at WVSOM would all have ~7% interest rate, just averaging out a loan that is not fixed rate. However it is more likely that students will use the Graduate Plus Loans which have an 8.5% rate so you don't have to worry about fluxtuating rates. It depends how fast you pay them back but with monthly payments over a ten year period you will be paying about 50K just from the additional 100K COA difference (I don't want to get to the nits and grits of it but 50K is being lenient.) With the 8.5% Plus loans you will be paying 60-70K in interest over 10 years.

So total saving ~100K from COA difference alone and ~50-70K from interest = ~150K.

A lot of people pay there loans back over longer periods (20 years or so) totaling a savings over 200K vs WVSOM.

If you are going into primary care/millitary at WVSOM then it is definitely worth it. I cannot make that commitment however.

I know a portion is from interest, it still is money tho you will have to pay back.

I was truly thinking about still going to WVSOM but I know I can still get the same education elsewhere also.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
My status changed to "accept with contingency". Not quite sure what that means, but idk how they are going to mail me a letter explaining this before the 1500 + 2000 is due by March 15th, which is next week.

The cost of attendance (COA) at WVSOM ~ 80K/year (I called the FA and it will be a lil higher for 3rd and 4th year, but this doesn't really matter) So lets just say ~80K/year

Total WVSOM = 320K

Lets pick LECOM as an example which is ~ 55K (Any school that falls between 50 and 60K COA will end up saving you ~ 150K in reality)

Total LECOM = 220K

I plan to pay my loans back in 10 years (which is done by the majority). There is a stafford loan max of 224K meaning that the extra I would have to pay at WVSOM would all have ~7% interest rate, just averaging out a loan that is not fixed rate. However it is more likely that students will use the Graduate Plus Loans which have an 8.5% rate so you don't have to worry about fluxtuating rates. It depends how fast you pay them back but with monthly payments over a ten year period you will be paying about 50K just from the additional 100K COA difference (I don't want to get to the nits and grits of it but 50K is being lenient.) With the 8.5% Plus loans you will be paying 60-70K in interest over 10 years.

So total saving ~100K from COA difference alone and ~50-70K from interest = ~150K.

A lot of people pay there loans back over longer periods (20 years or so) totaling a savings over 200K vs WVSOM.

If you are going into primary care/millitary at WVSOM then it is definitely worth it. I cannot make that commitment however.

I know a portion is from interest, it still is money tho you will have to pay back.

I was truly thinking about still going to WVSOM but I know I can still get the same education elsewhere also.

Hope this helps.

I believe WVSOM has this program in which you spend an extra year as a GTA working for the school, they will cut off three years of your tuition. Couldn't that save you more money then?

My status changed to "accept with contingency". Not quite sure what that means, but idk how they are going to mail me a letter explaining this before the 1500 + 2000 is due by March 15th, which is next week.

Anyone that was recently accepted doesn't have to follow the March 15th deadline (I spoke to Annette about this already). Apparently a letter will come in the mail outlining the deadlines, but of course only if you are accepted. If you're not sure call the admissions office, they love to help!

Total WVSOM = 320K

Total LECOM = 220K

Hope this helps.

Great breakdown thank you! Just one point which may be disputed or not, but 80k is the supposed COA. If you pay 50k which by means is not cheap, you can live off under 20K there is not need for you spend more 20k a year on expenses outside tuition. Although I have not seen the expenses broken down I would gather it can be more than 20k if you budget. Overall yes if you can get in somewhere and you worried about the money in long term that is fine. But for many it is the school that wins them.

Good luck at your medical school!

I believe WVSOM has this program in which you spend an extra year as a GTA working for the school, they will cut off three years of your tuition. Couldn't that save you more money then?

I heard rumors that they might not keep this for future years. Who knows and correct me if I am wrong it is only 2 years of tuition for free or partial pay. I am still in the waters regarding this method.

Well, I was there yesterday and that's what I remember. It's possible I misunderstood something, but Annette, students and one of the GTAs said something about three years being cut off. Maybe there is something more to it? This thread also says something about the GTA position. http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=232547