WVSOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just gave up my seat in the class of 2014 today! :(
I loved the school, the facilities and the people at WVSOM, but I just couldn't get my mind around the OOS tuition. Especially for someone like me who is a bit older than the average med student.......I need to really watch my debt load.
Sorry to let it go, but hopefully that'll free up a spot for one of y'all still waiting, right? I will be off to PCOM next year. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

hello, I was wondering what's the difference between in process-decision pending to decision pending? I have been changed to decision pending for almost 2 weeks and I am also wondering if anyone know if the interview invites will be notified through email first or the account they set us up with.

I think the first was them reviewing your app and the second they did not decide to invite you for an interview yet so they put your app back in the pool to review again which is prolly once a month. There is still plenty of time to get in so dont sweat it. I received a call from the office for the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
nervous about upcoming interview! any recommendations for hotels/motels around the area? also, i dont have my DO LOR yet, but have everything else. I should have one by 2-3 weeks, after the interview. Should I panick?

I stayed at the General Lewis Inn, which was lovely and they will give you a discount if you mention the school. I also did not have my DO LOR when I interviewed on 11/12. They rec'd the letter the end of November. I was still accepted, but they won't tell you a decision until they receive the DO letter. Other people who interviewed with me found out much sooner.

how about the tuition? any out-of-state students receive in-state tuition after their first or second year?

how about the tuition? any out-of-state students receive in-state tuition after their first or second year?

They said at interview that this would never happen. You need to be a WV resident for 18 months before you apply to the school to get residency. Apparently, the only way for an OOSer to become an in-stater is to marry a WV resident.

I got an email couple of days ago that my application is on hold status. I called them to see if I need to send them anything and been told not to. My application is complete. Is anyone in the same situation as I am and get an interview later? Thanks.

I received an email today from them offering me an interview on Feb 5th. I'm from Oregon and have never been to WV. Which airport would people recommend I fly into?

thanks

I received an email today from them offering me an interview on Feb 5th. I'm from Oregon and have never been to WV. Which airport would people recommend I fly into?

thanks

Greenbrier, it is 5 miles away. It costs about 200 from cleveland (only airport that flies to lewisburg year round). WARNING...there are no taxis in Lewisburg, and the limo costs $55. I recommend that you stay at the Hampton, alittle pricey, but they have a free shuttle.

Greenbrier, it is 5 miles away. It costs about 200 from cleveland (only airport that flies to lewisburg year round). WARNING...there are no taxis in Lewisburg, and the limo costs $55. I recommend that you stay at the Hampton, alittle pricey, but they have a free shuttle.

Good luck finding a flight to Greenbrier. You might have better luck with Charleston or Roanoke. Rent a car.

Members don't see this ad :)
YAY I just got accepted this morning! Sorry for this, but I'm just really happy that I scored on my very first interview. A charming town, awesome school, and lovely faculty. :D :D :D

I'm still in disbelief!

Congratulations DmanGTR,

Can I ask how long after your interview did you get your acceptance? I have my interview tomorrow morning. :)

Thanks

The committee meets every Tues, so as long as you have your DO letter in, you should find out after the following Tuesday

The committee meets every Tues, so as long as you have your DO letter in, you should find out after the following Tuesday

This is not always the case...all of my materials were in well before my interview date, and I did not hear until nearly 3 weeks later. Hopefully you won't have this (suspenseful) wait! Good luck :)

thanks
fly to roanoke, rent a car and drive to lewisberg. thats what i did and it wasnt bad at all.

Hello Everyone,

I just recieved an email saying that WVSOM is looking at my application. I know its very late in the application process, but Im still hoping it works out for me. How long does it take before they make a decision to grant you an interview or not? Is there anything I can do to increase my chances (call the school, letter of intent etc).

My gpa is a 3.89, biology major, MCAT 22 and a lot of research, volunteering, interships. Do you guys think I have a shot?

THANKS !!!!

thanks

The only airport that flies to Lewisburg year-round is Cleveland, OH. I recommend flying there, doing a layover, and going on to Lewisburg. Roanoke is an hour and a half drive from Lewisburg. The other interviewees who flew that were in my group all came in from the local airport.

Hello Everyone,

I just recieved an email saying that WVSOM is looking at my application. I know its very late in the application process, but Im still hoping it works out for me. How long does it take before they make a decision to grant you an interview or not? Is there anything I can do to increase my chances (call the school, letter of intent etc).

My gpa is a 3.89, biology major, MCAT 22 and a lot of research, volunteering, interships. Do you guys think I have a shot?

THANKS !!!!

From all the schools I applied to, WVSOM's application process seems slightly different from the others. They do not request a supplemental/secondary application (or fee) unless they want to interview you. I had my interview earlier this month, and this is my understanding of their process:

If they want an interview, generally speaking they are willing to work with your GPA/MCAT. If you did poorly in either area, they will want to know why. WVSOM gets 3000+ applications a year. They interview around 500-600. They accept roughly 350 of those, and of those 350, roughly 200 commit. There is no "fixed number of spots". If you get an interview, your chances are good.

I will say from the 24 hours I spent in the Lewisburg area for my interview, the area is unbelievably pretty, especially the drive between Lewisburg and Beckley (which is 40 minutes or so west). The town, for it's size, exceeded my expectations as far as places to shop and eat. The residents we spoke to (waitresses, etc.) were all very friendly and seemed to like living in the area. The students we met on our tour all seemed happy. The admissions staff, Angela and Annette, have to be the nicest college admissions people in the world. We also met the Dean of the school, and he was also very nice, and made it clear that he was accessible to meet with students etc. Everyone I met seemed to be in good spirits. I'm convinced there has to be something in the water.

Obviously, I got a good vibe from the school, and when I pressed students to tell me something bad about the school, high OOS tuition was the only thing they could tell me (I believe WVSOM is second highest cost OM school in the US). That said, from what I saw on my tour, that high tuition has gone right back to the students in terms of facilities, which were state-of-the-art. Anatomy Lab, Sim-Lab (16 sims, some tetherless), and lecture hall were all well designed, and new students receive a laptop pre-loaded with requisite software, theirs to keep.

From all the schools I applied to, WVSOM's application process seems slightly different from the others. They do not request a supplemental/secondary application (or fee) unless they want to interview you. I had my interview earlier this month, and this is my understanding of their process:

If they want an interview, generally speaking they are willing to work with your GPA/MCAT. If you did poorly in either area, they will want to know why. WVSOM gets 3000+ applications a year. They interview around 500-600. They accept roughly 350 of those, and of those 350, roughly 200 commit. There is no "fixed number of spots". If you get an interview, your chances are good.

I will say from the 24 hours I spent in the Lewisburg area for my interview, the area is unbelievably pretty, especially the drive between Lewisburg and Beckley (which is 40 minutes or so west). The town, for it's size, exceeded my expectations as far as places to shop and eat. The residents we spoke to (waitresses, etc.) were all very friendly and seemed to like living in the area. The students we met on our tour all seemed happy. The admissions staff, Angela and Annette, have to be the nicest college admissions people in the world. We also met the Dean of the school, and he was also very nice, and made it clear that he was accessible to meet with students etc. Everyone I met seemed to be in good spirits. I'm convinced there has to be something in the water.

Obviously, I got a good vibe from the school, and when I pressed students to tell me something bad about the school, high OOS tuition was the only thing they could tell me (I believe WVSOM is second highest cost OM school in the US). That said, from what I saw on my tour, that high tuition has gone right back to the students in terms of facilities, which were state-of-the-art. Anatomy Lab, Sim-Lab (16 sims, some tetherless), and lecture hall were all well designed, and new students receive a laptop pre-loaded with requisite software, theirs to keep.

:thumbup: Excellent post!

hello!
I just got accepted to WVSOM and am really considering the school in comparision to NYCOM. I went to my interview and everything and didnt hear anything about receiving a laptop with preloaded software? It would be great if I did though... the out of state tuition scares me. I would invest in my future ofcourse but I dont know if the great campus is worth me being in debt for most of my young adult life :(

hello!
I just got accepted to WVSOM and am really considering the school in comparision to NYCOM. I went to my interview and everything and didnt hear anything about receiving a laptop with preloaded software? It would be great if I did though... the out of state tuition scares me. I would invest in my future ofcourse but I dont know if the great campus is worth me being in debt for most of my young adult life :(

Congratulations on your acceptance!

How much is NYCOM's tuition? While I cannot speak from experience, I can confidently say that the extra $$, if you are so much happier at WVSOM, would be worth it. What I tell myself is: thousands of people have done it before me and come out making money in the end...and they enjoy it in many facets of life when they're older. People get through it. It may call for a handful of frugal years, but in the end, it is all worth it. If WVSOM totally outweighs the pros you see in NYCOM, then in my opinion, it is no contest! What's important to you? Curriculum? Rotation sites? The technology/facilities on campus? Distance from loved ones/family? Pick based on which school is your best fit, not on tuition alone. You can get through the payments and debt.

And yes, it is true--we get brand spankin' new laptops :) Nice perk!

Does anyone the criteria they are using for determining interviews -- MCAT, GPA, EC, etc?

Does anyone the criteria they are using for determining interviews -- MCAT, GPA, EC, etc?

All of the above...

They don't put more weight on one thing over the other as far as I know.

All of the above...

They don't put more weight on one thing over the other as far as I know.

Thanks. I don't guess I was too clear in my question.

Is there a specific minimum MCAT score (overall or a minimum for each section) , minimum GPA, etc. that they are using to screen for interview decisions?

All info welcomed!!!

Just received an interview invite for Feb 19th but I'm declining it (in case anyone wants to take the spot). Good Luck everyone!!:D

Congratulations on your acceptance!

How much is NYCOM's tuition? While I cannot speak from experience, I can confidently say that the extra $$, if you are so much happier at WVSOM, would be worth it. What I tell myself is: thousands of people have done it before me and come out making money in the end...and they enjoy it in many facets of life when they're older. People get through it. It may call for a handful of frugal years, but in the end, it is all worth it. If WVSOM totally outweighs the pros you see in NYCOM, then in my opinion, it is no contest! What's important to you? Curriculum? Rotation sites? The technology/facilities on campus? Distance from loved ones/family? Pick based on which school is your best fit, not on tuition alone. You can get through the payments and debt.

And yes, it is true--we get brand spankin' new laptops :) Nice perk!

And what about cost of living....it is so misleading. Yes Lecom bradenton is 27,000 dollars oos, but the cost of living makes the total near 50-60 a year. 60,000 a year is possible if you are careful and you watch your money at wvsom.

Yes, but they quote an OOS COA of 77,000. Ouch!!!! ......Is it really possible to live a year in Lewisburg for 10,000 total? That seems like some seriously frugal living to me, no matter where you are.

LOL, I have to stop dropping in here, but I keep hoping that some of the people I interviewed with will post and I can see what's up with them??.....

In any event, I will banish myself now to the PCOM board. Good luck everybody!

Last edited:
Thanks. I don't guess I was too clear in my question.

Is there a specific minimum MCAT score (overall or a minimum for each section) , minimum GPA, etc. that they are using to screen for interview decisions?

All info welcomed!!!

I think the average MCAT is 23-24 if I am not mistaken. GPA is 3.5ish? Not sure there. Look at it mathematically, from the stats provided by DrMom above:

3,000+ apply...let's say 500 get interview invites. 500/3000 ~ 18%
Out of those 500, ~350 are offered acceptances. 350/500 = 70%

Pre-interview, your chances are approximately 1/5.

Post-interview--your chances of acceptance more than triple.

Take-home message here: pre-interview, you have to separate yourself from the other applicants. Whether it is numerically--MCAT and gpa--or by other means, you need to make yourself stand out. If you don't have obviously competitive stats or they're simply average and you've yet to hear from WVSOM, then you need to market yourself as an applicant. Contact them and express your interest in the school, your compatibility with their mission statement and overall professional goals. Stand out. That is how you become part of that 20%, regardless of your numbers. Post-interview, well, about 7/10 will get accepted. By that point, you've won them over enough on paper, and it is up to you to try your best to win them over in person. Once you do get that interview invite--while you need to prepare and take it very seriously--I would say you should be sittin' pretty. Good luck and stay positive; go the extra mile to sell yourself to WVSOM and convince them you're in that top 20% pool. :)

Yes, but they quote an OOS COA of 77,000. Ouch!!!! ......Is it really possible to live a year in Lewisburg for 10,000 total? That seems like some seriously frugal living to me, no matter where you are.

Yes. If you live with a roommate, which I do believe most people do, you can be paying as low as $250-300/month, rent AND utilities combined. Additionally, once you factor in gas (and you may not even have to drive much...lots of places are within walking distance of the school), insurances, food, cell phone bill, and miscellaneous money, I'd say you can round off to ~10-13k/year. Yes, frugality is necessary, but it can be done! We're going to be poor med students/residents for many years...frugality is a characteristic we must master no matter if tuition is 25k or 50k! Sucks, but it's a reality of the process. I'll be ok with it in 20 years when I'm on my yacht.

Yes, frugality is necessary, but it can be done! We're going to be poor med students/residents for many years...frugality is a characteristic we must master no matter if tuition is 25k or 50k! Sucks, but it's a reality of the process. I'll be ok with it in 20 years when I'm on my yacht.

To quote a financial aid staff member, "If you live like a doctor when you're a med student, you'll live like a med student when you're a doctor."

Thanks for responding.. NYCOM is roughly 43k .. not that much cheaper but I will be able to live from home if I go there... I realize that medical school is expensive no matter where I go.. I wouldn't care so much abiout the money if i was sure I wanted to go there but I'm not... do any current students find the staff, professors truly supportive? They seemed so but one WVSOM student posted that thats just a front/ act for orientations before the interviews are done...

I got a flight from Greenbrier, but you have to go through Cleveland. I recommend it. Just make sure the hotel you stay at has a shuttle!

I got a flight from Greenbrier, but you have to go through Cleveland. I recommend it. Just make sure the hotel you stay at has a shuttle!

Hampton DOES! :)

They even dropped me off the day of my interview and then took me to the airport.

My friend is in his second year at WVSOM right now, and when I was down there for my interview I went to dinner with him and several of his friends. They all agreed that the professors are very helpful (of course, if you seek the help) and friendly...so i don't think it's just a pre-interview front.

Thanks for responding.. NYCOM is roughly 43k .. not that much cheaper but I will be able to live from home if I go there... I realize that medical school is expensive no matter where I go.. I wouldn't care so much abiout the money if i was sure I wanted to go there but I'm not... do any current students find the staff, professors truly supportive? They seemed so but one WVSOM student posted that thats just a front/ act for orientations before the interviews are done...

Hello all - I am declining my interview invitation for Feb 17th... FYI so someone can snag my spot. Best of luck to everyone! :)

Just found out I got accept and I'm taking the slot. Hello Class of 2014!

Just found out I got accept and I'm taking the slot. Hello Class of 2014!

congrats DrMom922 !!! i have been seeing you in other post and iam glad that everything came to fruition for you. what was your numbers if you dont mind sharing?

Congrats DrMom922. Do anyone happen to know how many spots are available? Thanks.

congrats DrMom922 !!! i have been seeing you in other post and iam glad that everything came to fruition for you. what was your numbers if you dont mind sharing?

My numbers...

Fine Arts major, 172 credits... GPA is 3.69, but my Science and Math is 4.0 ... Apparently I wasn't supposed to be an artist, but didn't figure that out until after it was too late to change my major, so past-grad I took an extra year of classes to get the medical school pre-reqs taken care of. MCAT is 24M (10/7/7). I'm 28 and a mother of 3.

Congrats DrMom922. Do anyone happen to know how many spots are available? Thanks.

The Admissions staff said there is no such thing as "number of spots left". Hope for an interview and put your best foot forward.

The Admissions staff said there is no such thing as "number of spots left". Hope for an interview and put your best foot forward.

Congrats! I would recommend that you join the Facebook group. There is alot of good discussion ranging from housing to spouses.

As to the number of spots....yea thats tricky, as they offer a positions to people, but they are not always accepted. I heard this, at New Years 50% is filled, with 50% percent to go, but as it is 20 days after New years, I would say there is less than 50%.

Also, if they interview you, I think your chances are 75%, I have yet to hear of someone who interviewed, and didnt get in.

Just gave up my spot in the class of 2014!!! :(
Great school, excellent facilities....but had to consider other factors. Hoping I made the right choice :\ Good luck to all who have been accepted or hope to be accepted :)

The school is top notch in every aspect. Prof, board scores, campus, students, EVERYTHING is amazing. Truly is one of the better medschools i have seen. The OOS is what is really pushing people away from it, its at 78k per yearliving with 50k tuiton

The school is top notch in every aspect. Prof, board scores, campus, students, EVERYTHING is amazing. Truly is one of the better medschools i have seen. The OOS is what is really pushing people away from it, its at 78k per yearliving with 50k tuiton

how do you justify spending 28,000 dollars a year on expenses?

I plan to do it easily for half that

how do you justify spending 28,000 dollars a year on expenses?

I plan to do it easily for half that

Ditto. Probably more like 2/3 of that for me, but that is only because I will be living alone in a 2 bedroom apt and chose one of the newer complexes. But 28K...that is a little extreme, IMO.

Ditto. Probably more like 2/3 of that for me, but that is only because I will be living alone in a 2 bedroom apt and chose one of the newer complexes. But 28K...that is a little extreme, IMO.

I am thinking at little over 1000 a month. And now I am considering living alone....yes it is more, but the lack of drama may be beneficial.