WVSOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wishintobedoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My status changed last night saying I have been offered an interview. There is not a date anywhere and it doesn't say to call to set one up. No e-mails either. Anyone else in the same boat??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. I just emailed the admissions office.

Will you please post what you find out on here. I was wondering if they select the date for you or if you can. Also, what days of the week are the interviews held? Thanks.

any news from admissions?

I just finished my secondary and plan on putting it in the mail in the morning, but if I don't get an email from them I will probably end up calling. I would hate to send it in if I wasn't suppossed to have access to it yet. I still find it odd that it says I have been granted an interview but they have not communicated that info other than updating the status page.

Yes if anyone is able to find out if we can pick our interview day as opposed to the school assigning a specific date, please post here? Thanks!

Got a reply from the admissions office saying they'll email me later with details, but I'm guessing if your status says you've been offered an interview, that's correct information.

I just received a date for their interview (Sept. 14) and in their email it says the following:

"If for some reason you are not able to attend the interview, it is imperative that you contact us immediately, as this will allow another applicant the opportunity to interview. Also, please be aware that we will NOT be able to reschedule your interview."

I cannot get any more days off from work for month of September so I am out of luck on this one. So, I will cancel my interview at WVSOM for Sept. 14 :( but I hope someone else is able to get this interview spot! Good luck to all:thumbup:

Did you cancel already???
Got a date for 9-18 but will be at my LECOM-B interview that day, so i emailed requesting the 14th or the following week.

Got a date for 9-18 but will be at my LECOM-B interview that day, so i emailed requesting the 14th or the following week.
I am going to call Angie in an hour and tell her.

Oh I will probably see you at LECOM-B on the 18th too!

I called to change my interview date and they were really nice but said it needed to be done by email. You might just want to email them instead of calling.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called to change my interview date and they were really nice but said it needed to be done by email. You might just want to email them instead of calling.
Oh okay I just emailed WVSOM about 5 minutes ago. I am pretty sad about letting this interview go:( but in the email, it sounds like they are adament about accepting the interview date they assign you. No hard feelings toward them, I still like this school.

Last edited:
So,you were able to reschedule your interview? Hmm, I wonder if they will let me reschedule for the month of October when I have my "sick day" to use (I stupidly used up all my vacation days)

Oh okay I just emailed WVSOM about 5 minutes ago. I am pretty sad about letting this interview go:( but in the email, it sounds like they are adament about accepting the interview date they assign you. No hard feelings toward them, I still like this school.

So it sounds like they will actually let you change the date, but just give the disclaimer so a ton of people don't try to it. I was debating on changing my date since I have another interview that week and was going to be flying out on the date they booked me for the interview. I don't need to fly to WV, but I do for my other interview. I really hate to fly to both as the $$$$ is going to add up and I am the one paying for everything.

Yes, they changed my date for me, but said that they don't normally change dates. (If you read through last years thread it seemed like they changed dates for all who requested it). It never hurts to ask.

It is going to be an expensive week for me...tickets from Ca are around $500 and I am also flying to Florida on Wed of the same week.

But hey, its all worth it if it means an acceptance somewhere.

Good luck everyone! I am on the alternate list from 08-09 cycle, which means I was offered a spot in the class of 2014 next August (which I will be taking). There are a few of us on here who I suppose are the first official members of the class of 2014 :)

That's the great thing about WVSOM--idk if it is every year, but several years instead of having a traditional "wait list", they have an "alternate list", so if you are not able to get in off of the waitlist that cycle, you have an automatic acceptance to the following year's entering class.

They are flexible with interview dates from what I've heard. The staff in the admissions office are INCREDIBLY nice. Angie and Annette are the greatest. There were 2 kids at my interview day who didn't go on the day they were invited--so it certainly doesn't hurt to ask!

If you guys have any questions about the admissions process, I am more than happy to try my best to answer them :) as I'm sure the rest of the AL kids on here are.

Good luck to all!

Hey guys,

I'm in the same boat as MISSDO. I was also offered acceptance into the class of 2014 from this year's AL. I'm a non-traditional student so if you guys have any questions regarding the intricacies of a non-traditional application cycle then just shoot me a PM. Good luck to everyone!

Good luck everyone! I am on the alternate list from 08-09 cycle, which means I was offered a spot in the class of 2014 next August (which I will be taking). There are a few of us on here who I suppose are the first official members of the class of 2014 :)

That's the great thing about WVSOM--idk if it is every year, but several years instead of having a traditional "wait list", they have an "alternate list", so if you are not able to get in off of the waitlist that cycle, you have an automatic acceptance to the following year's entering class.

They are flexible with interview dates from what I've heard. The staff in the admissions office are INCREDIBLY nice. Angie and Annette are the greatest. There were 2 kids at my interview day who didn't go on the day they were invited--so it certainly doesn't hurt to ask!

If you guys have any questions about the admissions process, I am more than happy to try my best to answer them :) as I'm sure the rest of the AL kids on here are.

Good luck to all!

You will be hard pressed to find another school like WVSOM..the Admissions ladies are wonderful...could there really be anyone any better than Ms. Angie? Hardly NOT...she is the reason I love WVSOM!!

is there any way to become eligible for instate tuition after a year if you are oos?

is there any way to become eligible for instate tuition after a year if you are oos?

There is, but it's very difficult to obtain. You go through a process that's ran through the VP office...the admissions staff only told me that it is quite a tough thing to get approved. In fact, as an alternate list candidate, I thought, well hey, if I'm gonna have this whole year off...maybe I should move to WV now. My entire extended family lives there so I would love to make the move, and by the time classes start, I will have lived there for a year and could mayyybe be eligible for instate tution.....

...nope. Unfortunately, you have to have lived there for a year PRIOR to applying :( and I got so excited to potentially save 120k. Oh well.

You will be hard pressed to find another school like WVSOM..the Admissions ladies are wonderful...could there really be anyone any better than Ms. Angie? Hardly NOT...she is the reason I love WVSOM!!

Couldn't agree more :) best admissions staff you will ever work with!

Best of luck to everyone applying to the class of 2014. As a member of the class of 2012, I can say with pride that WVSOM as a community treats everyone like family.

I hope the best for you all, and though I rarely hop on SDN these days, I'll be happy to help in anyway I can.

Congratulations in advance to those who apply and come to the school to later become an osteopathic physician.

*Little known loophole to the out of state tuition - Marry a West Virginian (one who was a West Virginian 1 year prior to your application date, and you become eligible for instate tuition)*

On the WVSOM secondary, where it says Your Photo Here, are we supposed to send a photo with the secondary or do they attach one taken at the interview there?

On the WVSOM secondary, where it says Your Photo Here, are we supposed to send a photo with the secondary or do they attach one taken at the interview there?

They do take one at the interview, but I attached one on my secondary, too.

Does WVSOM send out secondaries? I have been verified for over a week and have heard from every other school so far. Do I just send in a $40 check like their website says or am I missing something? Thanks

Does WVSOM send out secondaries? I have been verified for over a week and have heard from every other school so far. Do I just send in a $40 check like their website says or am I missing something? Thanks

They screen before sending out secondaries and if you get a secondary you also get an interview.

Via email first ( i dont remember if it's followed by a snail mail notification).

It's just via email, then you mail the paperwork back in via usps. You can also call their office to pay for the app fee over the phone via credit card if you don't have a checkbook like myself.

I have just received an official letter stating that I have been offered an admission for the Class of 2014....yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I have just received an official letter stating that I have been offered an admission for the Class of 2014....yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Ditto! But, I'm not as excited about forking up the $3K by 10/14..:smack:.. Oh well, the check will be in the mail monday...

Ditto! But, I'm not as excited about forking up the $3K by 10/14..:smack:.. Oh well, the check will be in the mail monday...

Double ditto...to all of the above. :)

Hi Guys,

A bit of a novice here and I was just wondering if any of you pros know what the ratio of interviewed to accepted is? I have an interview for Sept 23 (is that late?) and I'm already freaking out. I really want to go to this school.
Thanks for any helpful information.

Hi Guys,

A bit of a novice here and I was just wondering if any of you pros know what the ratio of interviewed to accepted is? I have an interview for Sept 23 (is that late?) and I'm already freaking out. I really want to go to this school.
Thanks for any helpful information.

Due to a HUGE screw-up by AACOMAS (which lead to me applying for free) I didn't interview until April. With a September interview, you'll be just fine. Good luck!

Since WVSOM does not send secondaries to everyone, if you landed an interview your chances are pretty good:)

ps. I know some people are post interview already....any thoughts on the school, town, etc?

Due to a HUGE screw-up by AACOMAS (which lead to me applying for free) I didn't interview until April. With a September interview, you'll be just fine. Good luck!

My status has said "In Process - Decision pending" for about a week now, so hopefully I will get some news soon! Good luck everyone, and does anyone know how long I should expect to be "in process?"

bcgans, were you granted an interview or are you post-interview?

bcgans, were you granted an interview or are you post-interview?

I am waiting to hear about being granted an interview. My status was "decision deferred" for a while, as my MCAT did not get released until 8/4. It has read "In process - decision pending" for about a week now. Hopefully I'll be able to post some good news soon.

Hi, Guys.

I just wanted to say good luck with your application process.
Please let me know if I can help out in any way.
I applied quite late in the process last year, but I was lucky enough to get off the waiting list at the last minute. WVSOM has made a tremendous effort to enhance the curriculum for the 1st year student this year, and I can see that there are going to be making leaps in upcoming years. When others have told me before that WVSOM has "family-like" environment, I was pretty skeptical. But people here genuinely care about you. Transition into a medical school is something is really tough, and I don't think I would have the same experience in a really competitive environment.
Again, best of luck! and don't procrastinate like I did :)
I sincerely Hope to meet some of you soon!

I'm going to be interviewing here 8/21. I'm really excited! WVSOM looks like an awesome school... aside from the outrageous OOS tuition. Is living in the area cheap? Is it possible to do a rotation in a bigger city?

My status has said "In Process - Decision pending" for about a week now, so hopefully I will get some news soon! Good luck everyone, and does anyone know how long I should expect to be "in process?"
Can anyone tell me where to find the status page? I never received a confirmation for my secondary and I don't know where to look for my status.

Go here:

http://www.wvsom.edu/applicants/admissions/AppCheckStatus.cfm

and just type in the pin they gave you...your DOB is the pw. Good luck at your interview!
Thanks for the site. HOWEVER, although they cashed my check on 8/8, I never received an email confirming receipt of my secondary & never received a username or pin. I guess I'll have to call in the morning and, hopefully, am still in contention for an interview:xf:

Thanks for the site. HOWEVER, although they cashed my check on 8/8, I never received an email confirming receipt of my secondary & never received a username or pin. I guess I'll have to call in the morning and, hopefully, am still in contention for an interview:xf:

Your username/pin are found in the very orginal, bottled email that they send to everyone once they've received your completed primary app from AACOMAS.

I never received an email regarding confirmation of the recepit of my secondary, fyi...not sure they do that. They do update it, I believe, on the "Checklist" link, which you can find on that same site I pasted above. Hope that helps!

I have heard nothing from this school yet except the confirmation that they received my AACOMAS. Do I need to do anything else or is it just a waiting game now? It has been about two weeks since I got the confirmation email from them. Thanks