Worth applying w/o complete Bachelor's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gleemzoss

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would just like to start off by saying hello and thanking everyone for their input in advance.

I started college during the Spring semester 2017, and am on track to graduate with a BS in Chemistry in the Fall of 2020. All of my prerequisites for UGA's vet school (in-state school so #1 choice) will be completed by Spring 2020. I go to a smaller school and have not been able to figure out a course schedule that would allow me to complete my degree any sooner than Fall 2020, but with vet school starting in the Fall semester and since my prereqs will be done in time I am tempted to apply now for vet school. However, I know that the chances of getting into vet school without a Bachelor's are less than with one, and even though UGA doesn't require a Bachelor's, my question to you is whether or not my changes of getting in are good enough without the BS degree. Also it is worth spending the money and time to apply this year, or should I just suck it up, finish my degree, and apply next year?

Also, the courses I will take in the Fall 2020 will be entirely upper-level chemistry courses if I were to finish out my chemistry degree, so it wouldn't give me another advanced bio class or anything like that.

Me:

23 yr old female, GA resident

Currently majoring in Chemistry at University of N GA

Cum GPA (current): 3.48
Science (current, only including pre-req sci courses): 3.75
Science (current, including all sci courses taken): 3.80
** My cum. GPA took a hit after a bad Fall 2018 semester (D in Calc 2, C in Spanish 2). The rest of my transcript is mostly A's with a few B's.

Vet Experience:
I have worked as an assistant at a sa clinic for the past year and a half. Have ~2000 hours of work hours.
I do not have any la, exotic, wildlife, etc experience

Research:
I have 3 semester credit hours of chemistry research experience (presented at one regional and one national ACS conference)
I will have 1 semester credit hour of biology research experience

GRE: TBD. I plan to take it this summer.

LORs:
-Vet who owns clinic I work at
-Potentially his wife who is also a vet, but I haven't worked with her much and haven't asked her specifically if she would.
-Associate Vet at clinic
-Haven't specifically asked any professors, but I go to a smaller college and have good relationships with most if of my past professors. Can fill in LOR with them if needed.

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think it would be a complete mistake to apply now. You're cGPA is a little below average and you don't have much diversity of vet experience, but your other GPAs are high and research experience is always helpful. I’m not overly familiar with UGA but if you have people who can write your strong LORs, can take the GRE in time, and recognize you may have to apply again ($$), then I say go for it.

Couple of things to consider:

1. How many outstanding pre-req's will you have at the time of application?
2. What is your last 45 GPA?
3. Is it possible for you to find a large animal vet or ER clinic or exotics practice to shadow at on any days off that you have from your regular clinic. Even if you only log 50 hours, it will show that you have made an effort to gain experience in different areas.

If you can swing the VMCAS application fee $215 and the UGA supplemental fee $75 and feel that you have enough time to prepare for the GRE (search on SDN, but lots recommend using Magoosh as a study aid), then it's worth a shot. Your science/pre-req gpa is excellent. Depending on what your last 45 GPA is, you could use the explanation statement to explain any extenuating circumstances regarding your bad semester.

If you feel that the vet who owns the clinic and the associate vet will be able to write strong letters of recommendation, then I'd focus on finding 2 academic professors to write letters for you. Even though UGA only requires 3 LOR's, it's always a good idea to have an "extra" one just in case someone flakes out on you.

Best of luck to you!