WAMC - UCD c/o 2027 or 2028 - feeling lost T_T

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gloworms

manifesting c/o '28
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to SDN and am super excited to have discovered a whole community of people to connect with! I am a 22 year old (23 in a few days!) undergrad gradate with a BS in Animal Science and currently going into year 2 of my gap period after graduating.. I transferred to University after busting my @$$ for 2 years in CC and only got to experience 2 quarters of in-person classes before the pandemic hit. This put a pause on the things I had going on at the time (i.e. zoo internship, SPCA internship, job, in-person classes, etc.). I know many also experienced this, but I am trying to navigate best preparing to apply to vet school while staying motivated and passionate about veterinary medicine. I've been working as a VA at a GP for a year now, but working here is the only veterinary experience I have and I only work with cats! I am hoping to apply to vet school this cycle, but I'm nervous and not sure if I'm ready? I don't want to rush into this, but also not sure if I am pushing it off because I feel unprepared compared to other people. Any advice on how to make a decision and push forward? I know it's a silly and not really sure what exactly I'm asking help for, but I also just found out I'm most on the spectrum for Autism so that has been a lot to take in too. I also realize I have not contributed anything to this platform as of yet so I don't really deserve anyone's input, but I just thought I'd put this out there. OK .. I'm rambling now..

But TLDR: Does anyone have any advice on getting started on the application process? Would it hurt to take another year to prepare? Or am I prepared enough? (I don't think I'll ever feel prepared enough!!) As of right now, I don't think I have any specialty interests .. but I am curious about wildlife/conservation as well as animal behavior. I am looking around to gain more experience in those fields, but would love some advice and/or feedback. Constructive criticism highly appreciated. THANK YOU IF YOU READ ALL THIS... I wish everyone nothing but success :hardy::hardy:

Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence:
22, NONBINARY, CA/USA

Overall GPA: 3.41
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.24
Last 45 GPA: 3.50

GRE (Q/V/W): Have not taken yet

Degree(s): BS in Animal Science (2021)

Veterinary Experience:
VA at GP ~2,500 hrs
Volunteer as VA for Community Service Club ~9 hrs

Animal Experience:
Wildlife - 18hrs *volunteer*
Marine mammal - ~20hrs
Pet sitter: ~50 hrs
SPCA volunteer ~9 hrs

Research:
Laboratory animals (in-class): ~10 hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Community Service Award
Dean's list (spring 2018-2019) at CC

Non-Animal Employment:
restaurant server: 1 yr - not sure how many hours
private tutor: 50 hrs

LORs:
most likely will be from 2-3 DVMS (from same practice)
RVT at same clinic
**is this okay?! - I'm currently looking for more experiences, but it is also hard because I need to make enough money to support myself (I do not live with my parents)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to the forum! I used this EXTENSIVELY before applying as a non-traditional student 3 years ago, it's a huge wealth of info!

So, first off, I don't think it's ever a good use of your time or money to apply if it's not your BEST possible application year. I ended up waiting 2 additional years to apply longer than planned, because I wanted to improve my grades & eLORs. And I still didn't get in the first year! As much as it may feel like you're wasting time or need to head off to vet school NOW or the WORLD WILL END...it's simply not true. Make sure the application you put in is the BEST one you can deliver, and don't hesitate to take a year or two to get your experiences & non-academic attributes in good order.

Secondly, I agree that I think you need some more diverse experience. You might be able to make it in based on what you have so far, but it may be hard & limit your school choices. I would look into getting experience in a totally different type of animal (large animal, exotics, more dog-heavy practice, wildlife/zoo, etc) or in a different type of small animal specialty (emergency, surgery, dentistry, etc). I didn't have any specialty experience, but I did have a lot of hours in both small and large animal GP clinics, and despite only having worked for 2 clinics I had no complaints about my experience. I'd also echo what someone else said about your in-class research likely not counting as research, although you can definitely include it in your animal experience hours.

And finally, also as someone else said, make sure your letter choices are what are required for the schools where you end up applying! Most schools want 3 letters - one academic (i.e. professor or research supervisor), one veterinary, and a third of your choice. Some schools will look at up to 6 letters, but most won't. Don't fall into the trap that I did during my first application cycle of asking EVERYONE at a clinic for a letter, but then having them all say similar things about you - if they don't add a different opinion of you, it's not worth the stress of asking & keeping up with them! I had 5 letters my first cycle that were all somewhat similar or lukewarm, but then second cycle had fewer letters (4) that all spoke to different aspects of my experience and personality. Prioritize letters that will be EXCELLENT and will display different skills/attributes!

Reactions: 4 users
Welcome to the forum! I used this EXTENSIVELY before applying as a non-traditional student 3 years ago, it's a huge wealth of info!

So, first off, I don't think it's ever a good use of your time or money to apply if it's not your BEST possible application year. I ended up waiting 2 additional years to apply longer than planned, because I wanted to improve my grades & eLORs. And I still didn't get in the first year! As much as it may feel like you're wasting time or need to head off to vet school NOW or the WORLD WILL END...it's simply not true. Make sure the application you put in is the BEST one you can deliver, and don't hesitate to take a year or two to get your experiences & non-academic attributes in good order.

Secondly, I agree that I think you need some more diverse experience. You might be able to make it in based on what you have so far, but it may be hard & limit your school choices. I would look into getting experience in a totally different type of animal (large animal, exotics, more dog-heavy practice, wildlife/zoo, etc) or in a different type of small animal specialty (emergency, surgery, dentistry, etc). I didn't have any specialty experience, but I did have a lot of hours in both small and large animal GP clinics, and despite only having worked for 2 clinics I had no complaints about my experience. I'd also echo what someone else said about your in-class research likely not counting as research, although you can definitely include it in your animal experience hours.

And finally, also as someone else said, make sure your letter choices are what are required for the schools where you end up applying! Most schools want 3 letters - one academic (i.e. professor or research supervisor), one veterinary, and a third of your choice. Some schools will look at up to 6 letters, but most won't. Don't fall into the trap that I did during my first application cycle of asking EVERYONE at a clinic for a letter, but then having them all say similar things about you - if they don't add a different opinion of you, it's not worth the stress of asking & keeping up with them! I had 5 letters my first cycle that were all somewhat similar or lukewarm, but then second cycle had fewer letters (4) that all spoke to different aspects of my experience and personality. Prioritize letters that will be EXCELLENT and will display different skills/attributes!
Thank you so much for your thorough response 🥺 I really appreciate it!! Will definitely do everything you recommended. It is hard fighting off that sense of urgency. One other thing I'm conflicted on is that I only really want to go to UCD because that was my goal since day 1, but I'm not sure if I'm being too closed-minded. I'm also open to going to Western, but I don't think I am willing to move out of state. If I'm only applying to ONE school, is it worth applying this upcoming cycle and if I don't get in work on my experiences and other things until the next cycle OR do you still recommend I not apply until I am 100% confident in my stats? I'm thinking it still makes sense to wait to apply until it is my BEST, but it's just so nerve wracking during this time leading up to applying! I also am curious about grad school and getting another degree before going to vet school, but not sure if that is an unnecessary step. (Def don't need to answer all these questions!! Sorry, I am just so overwhelmed now that I am sitting down trying to get the ball rolling on applying)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully some Davis people can chime in with specifics.

I agree that it can't hurt to diversify your experiences, even if it's just a small number of hours that you shadow with a vet in a different sector of vet med. Is there a large animal or equine practice near you that you could shadow on your days off? Or an ER practice that you could shadow on the weekends?

I'm not a Davis expert, but I seem to recall from older posts that Davis really cares about your quant score on the GRE. So I recommend doing as well as possible on the gre. If standardized tests aren't your thing, consider doing a prep course. You've got plenty of time to prep for the gre before the next application cycle.

You've gotten good advice from EB on LOR's. Keep up the volunteer work.

I don't think it's wrong to only apply to your IS school, especially for the 1st application cycle. Davis is going to be one of your most affordable options. Western is a good deal more expensive.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, I am new to SDN and am super excited to have discovered a whole community of people to connect with! I am a 22 year old (23 in a few days!) undergrad gradate with a BS in Animal Science and currently going into year 2 of my gap period after graduating.. I transferred to University after busting my @$$ for 2 years in CC and only got to experience 2 quarters of in-person classes before the pandemic hit. This put a pause on the things I had going on at the time (i.e. zoo internship, SPCA internship, job, in-person classes, etc.). I know many also experienced this, but I am trying to navigate best preparing to apply to vet school while staying motivated and passionate about veterinary medicine. I've been working as a VA at a GP for a year now, but working here is the only veterinary experience I have and I only work with cats! I am hoping to apply to vet school this cycle, but I'm nervous and not sure if I'm ready? I don't want to rush into this, but also not sure if I am pushing it off because I feel unprepared compared to other people. Any advice on how to make a decision and push forward? I know it's a silly and not really sure what exactly I'm asking help for, but I also just found out I'm most on the spectrum for Autism so that has been a lot to take in too. I also realize I have not contributed anything to this platform as of yet so I don't really deserve anyone's input, but I just thought I'd put this out there. OK .. I'm rambling now..

But TLDR: Does anyone have any advice on getting started on the application process? Would it hurt to take another year to prepare? Or am I prepared enough? (I don't think I'll ever feel prepared enough!!) As of right now, I don't think I have any specialty interests .. but I am curious about wildlife/conservation as well as animal behavior. I am looking around to gain more experience in those fields, but would love some advice and/or feedback. Constructive criticism highly appreciated. THANK YOU IF YOU READ ALL THIS... I wish everyone nothing but success :hardy::hardy:

Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence:
22, NONBINARY, CA/USA

Overall GPA: 3.41
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.24
Last 45 GPA: 3.50

GRE (Q/V/W): Have not taken yet

Degree(s): BS in Animal Science (2021)

Veterinary Experience:
VA at GP ~2,500 hrs
Volunteer as VA for Community Service Club ~9 hrs

Animal Experience:
Wildlife - 18hrs *volunteer*
Marine mammal - ~20hrs
Pet sitter: ~50 hrs
SPCA volunteer ~9 hrs

Research:
Laboratory animals (in-class): ~10 hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Community Service Award
Dean's list (spring 2018-2019) at CC

Non-Animal Employment:
restaurant server: 1 yr - not sure how many hours
private tutor: 50 hrs

LORs:
most likely will be from 2-3 DVMS (from same practice)
RVT at same clinic
**is this okay?! - I'm currently looking for more experiences, but it is also hard because I need to make enough money to support myself (I do not live with my parents)
I have read and reread your comments and I get the feeling you are sabotaging yourself or trying to talk your self out of taking that next step. Comments like...".I have not contributed anything to this platform as of yet so I don't really deserve anyone's input " ...", I'm nervous and not sure if I'm ready? " I also just found out I'm most on the spectrum for Autism " I think you need to sit down and be honest with yourself. If you want this, you do the best you can to acquire it; no excuses. On the other hand, if you discover this is not for you, then time to think of other options. Veterinary school is a multi species medical program that requires the student to be committed. You decide what to do, not me or anyone else. Give your best and if you enter the program, congratulations, if you do not enter, then hold your head high and know you gave it your best effort. That is what I did. I wish you well.

I also am curious about grad school and getting another degree before going to vet school, but not sure if that is an unnecessary step
This is not something you should do unless it’s both a degree that would give you career opportunities if you don’t get into vet school and something you actually are interested in doing. Pursuing a master’s or something similar just to try to improve your chances is adding to your student loans unnecessarily.

Reactions: 3 users
So honestly, I've worked for the last decade in conservation. It's enjoyable generally but pays incredibly poorly and is not as glamorous as it seems. It's really, really, really tough to find stable/consistent work. There are probably 200 people applying to each permanant job opening, and a lot of underemployed wildlife biologists. It's mostly short term temp or grant funded gigs that are <1 year long. I'm planning on going to vet school because I'm tired of not being paid a living wage. I hate to say this because I know what I do is important, but I would never in a million years suggest someone pursue a career in wildlife unless they are independently wealthy and don't need to be paid for their work.

That being said, if you are insistent on pursuing wildlife/conservation work or want to do a gap year or something shoot me a message and I can give you tips on finding some of these gigs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
So honestly, I've worked for the last decade in conservation. It's enjoyable generally but pays incredibly poorly and is not as glamorous as it seems. It's really, really, really tough to find stable/consistent work. There are probably 200 people applying to each permanant job opening, and a lot of underemployed wildlife biologists. It's mostly short term temp or grant funded gigs that are <1 year long. I'm planning on going to vet school because I'm tired of not being paid a living wage. I hate to say this because I know what I do is important, but I would never in a million years suggest someone pursue a career in wildlife unless they are independently wealthy and don't need to be paid for their work.

That being said, if you are insistent on pursuing wildlife/conservation work or want to do a gap year or something shoot me a message and I can give you tips on finding some of these gigs.
This is so true! I graduated with my wildlife ecology degree in 2020, and haven't had a singular professional role in that field. ...Mainly due to a disability, but nonetheless, extremely difficult to find work!

@PlumPoppy I'm sorry to hear that :( This job market is a scary place. I haven't ever actually specifically worked in wildlife but I have done a lot of limnology and fisheries work including my state dept of fish and wildlife in their fisheries program so I work alongside dozens of wildlife bios, AND I live on the west coast in probably one of the top 3 best funded states for conservation work so we are better represented with younger professionals yet I STILL don't think I've ever met a permanent, full time wildlife biologist under the age of 45. Like I said I don't want to discourage people from doing what they like, but I pursued this as a career change and I definitely didn't know it would be like this when I started. I probably wouldn't have listened but I still wish someone had told me the reality instead of just encouraging me to "do what I like."

But on another note, and I don't mean to be presumptive but all federal agencies will give you a hiring priority if you are disabled, and some states do as well (I know that Minnesota for example specifically has a special pathway and is encouraged to hire disabled people.) If you haven't pursued that, I recommend trying! I assume you have vet school goals but if you want any tips for finding temp summer gigs that could be more conducive to your abilities feel free to PM me :)

Last edited:
This job market is a scary place. I haven't ever actually specifically worked in wildlife but I have done a lot of limnology and fisheries work including my state dept of fish and wildlife in their fisheries program so I work alongside dozens of wildlife bios, AND I live on the west coast in probably one of the top 3 best funded states for conservation work so we are better represented with younger professionals yet I STILL don't think I've ever met a permanent, full time wildlife biologist under the age of 45.
this has also largely been my experience. just to add to it, i've been involved in wildlife biology and field ecology since 2012. it's a rough field in itself, and lifestyle. i got my master's in 2018 and even after that, was only offered temp seasonal positions, the best of which paid $15/hr. the worst around $10/hr. in the yellowstone area i made $7.25/hr. typically the more charismatic the species, the less i earn(ed), and i never landed a government position. i had one opportunity for a full-time gig, but it was non-profit and it was general ecology rather than wildlife based. i still barely would've made enough to survive. i do know a handful of younger permanent biologists, but they make comparatively little. considering my network back home, i've got some wildlife medicine training opportunities, but still have to plan very far in advance as to how i'm going to support myself in those career endeavors. and even trying to keep up with my own publication and research with projects back home during vet school has only been minimally possible.

@lovelyghosts if you're curious about wildlife/conservation work as a whole, i definitely recommend a summer field gig to get a taste of what the field is like. for what it's worth, i didn't apply to davis, but we have very similar stats and i got into tufts and ohio. so you might be okay. as far as grad school goes. it's absolutely okay to take an extra year to live life and build up experiences; there's no rush to vet school.

@max_wildlife oh my god with the amount of revenue Yellowstone brings to NPS and to the surrounding area, that is absolutely WILD that they pay that little

Also to the OP, sorry for hijacking your thread for my own lamenting.

oh my god with the amount of revenue Yellowstone brings to NPS and to the surrounding area, that is absolutely WILD that they pay that little

Also to the OP, sorry for hijacking your thread for my own lamenting.
yeah, you know the field. the experience was part of the paycheck. which, the only place i could afford to live was a tiny studio apartment with a roommate above a motel with paper-thin walls. so it was an experience lol.
the wolves and bears were neat though.

i definitely don't want to derail this thread any further, but feel free to message me if you want to keep lamenting about the wildlife biology world lol

Wildlife jobs paying in experience is the equivalent of someone paying an artist/photographer for exposure tbh

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! I'm a current UCD vet student. Not sure if you saw the news recently but we're (finally) dropping the GRE requirement for Class of 2028 admissions and beyond, so just some more incentive to wait. ^^;

I'll echo what others said to diversify your vet/animal experience. Even within small animal, you could think about exploring emergency and specialities and see if those speak to you! You'll also be exposed to many more doctors that all have their own advice/outlooks on the vet field, not just for SA but since some of their vet school classmates went off on different paths, they could provide a little insight and contacts you could reach out to. Hospitals are always desperate for experienced assistants so hopefully, there are some options around you. You could find one with a 4-day workweek schedule to make volunteering/shadowing within large animal, equine, and wildlife fields on days off easier. I would also recommend getting the 3rd/4th LOR from someone not at your clinic. Two of my LORs did come from the same workplace but one was a criticalist and the other was the practice owner internist so I presumed they'd talk about different things.

I have read and reread your comments and I get the feeling you are sabotaging yourself or trying to talk your self out of taking that next step. Comments like...".I have not contributed anything to this platform as of yet so I don't really deserve anyone's input " ...", I'm nervous and not sure if I'm ready? " I also just found out I'm most on the spectrum for Autism " I think you need to sit down and be honest with yourself. If you want this, you do the best you can to acquire it; no excuses. On the other hand, if you discover this is not for you, then time to think of other options. Veterinary school is a multi species medical program that requires the student to be committed. You decide what to do, not me or anyone else. Give your best and if you enter the program, congratulations, if you do not enter, then hold your head high and know you gave it your best effort. That is what I did. I wish you well.
Thank you for your response. Honestly, you are right.. I have a bad habit of self sabotaging and telling myself I'm not good enough when I should know full well by now that I am fully capable of doing something if it is what I really want. Luckily, my mindset has changed a lot since I made this post. I got a new job at a ER clinic and I can say with confidence that I do want this and I will put my best foot forward and do everything I can to make it happen. I really appreciate your comment and insight. I am very excited for this new year!

Hi! I'm a current UCD vet student. Not sure if you saw the news recently but we're (finally) dropping the GRE requirement for Class of 2028 admissions and beyond, so just some more incentive to wait. ^^;

I'll echo what others said to diversify your vet/animal experience. Even within small animal, you could think about exploring emergency and specialities and see if those speak to you! You'll also be exposed to many more doctors that all have their own advice/outlooks on the vet field, not just for SA but since some of their vet school classmates went off on different paths, they could provide a little insight and contacts you could reach out to. Hospitals are always desperate for experienced assistants so hopefully, there are some options around you. You could find one with a 4-day workweek schedule to make volunteering/shadowing within large animal, equine, and wildlife fields on days off easier. I would also recommend getting the 3rd/4th LOR from someone not at your clinic. Two of my LORs did come from the same workplace but one was a criticalist and the other was the practice owner internist so I presumed they'd talk about different things.
Yes!! I heard and I am super stoked about that. I just started a new job as a VA at a ER/GP hybrid clinic and I'm going to be working primarily in ER and so far I am really loving it. It definitely feels more in line with what I would want to be doing at a veterinarian so I am very excited to learn more and meet more people here. Thank you so much for your advice!! Good luck with pursuing your degree!!

Ugh I'm so sorry that is awful. Thank you so much for your insight! I have decided to pursue vet school, but I will definitely reach out to you if I ever do change my mind or still am curious about wildlife/conservation. I wish you the best of luck and hope you can find something permanent with a livable wage soon...

Ugh I'm so sorry that is awful. Thank you so much for your insight! I have decided to pursue vet school, but I will definitely reach out to you if I ever do change my mind or still am curious about wildlife/conservation. I wish you the best of luck and hope you can find something permanent with a livable wage soon...
Thank you and good luck with your applications!

Thank you for your response. Honestly, you are right.. I have a bad habit of self sabotaging and telling myself I'm not good enough when I should know full well by now that I am fully capable of doing something if it is what I really want. Luckily, my mindset has changed a lot since I made this post. I got a new job at a ER clinic and I can say with confidence that I do want this and I will put my best foot forward and do everything I can to make it happen. I really appreciate your comment and insight. I am very excited for this new year!
Excellent!!