WAMC, traditional first time app, high GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gc0615

Reaction score
Hello all! I am a 21F, first-time applicant currently finishing up my B.S in Animal Sciences and Conservation Biology. I am currently planning to apply to CSU, Cornell, Tufts, UC Davis, Wisconsin, NCSU, Illinois, UGA, and UF. My current interests are in zoo med/conservation medicine career interests. I do also have a mild interest in ophthalmology! My in-state school is Wisconsin.

Cumulative GPA: 3.91
Science GPA: 3.87
Last 45: 3.84

Veterinary Experience:
- 100h Volunteer Equine Hospital
- 120h Observer in Small Animal Clinic (VCA)
~1100 working as a veterinary assistant the Special Species department of my university's veterinary school (includes on-call hours). Mostly exotic pets with occasional zoo animals and wildlife.
~40h working in the primary care department of my university's vet school as a veterinary assistant when they were short staffed
~250h working as a veterinary assistant in the Ophthalmology department of my university's vet school (in surgery and appointments). Mostly small animals but occasional equine/bovine patients.

Animal Experience:
-5000h+ Horse Care/Riding Experience (barn chores, exercising horses, medicating, etc). Included competition hours/results in my extracurriculars.
- 80h Tufts SVM Adventures in Veterinary Medicine Program when I was in high school -- mostly just included this since I am applying to Tufts. Attended some cool hands lectures/labs
-300h Local Zoo (conducted education presentations, animal husbandry, maintaining enclosures, etc). Had livestock, small exotic mammals, large exotic mammals, reptiles, birds, etc)
-150h local humane society-- (junior board president when I was in high school, lots of humane education)

Research Experience:
-100h doing research on Transgenerational Epigenetic Inheritance in mammals with a professor of mine (dept chair of AnSci at my university) -- *publication pending*
-50h working with a clinical professor at my university's veterinary school on his various research projects (analyzing CT Data, medical records, etc)
-400h working with a comparative genetics lab associated with my university's veterinary school. Focused on studying Ocular Melanosis in Cairn Terriers, Osteosarcoma in large dog breeds, and environmental factors of CCL rupture in Labradors.
-75h working on an independent study on the effects of SERT Functioning on Litter Size and Mortality Rate in mice under the supervision of a graduate student
-250h working on an independent study in highschool involving transgenic zebrafish for my AP research program. Involved in breeding/care of fish colony independently.

Awards/scholarships:
- John A Spurrell Award (merit based to student in AnSci/Forest & Wildlife Ecology)
- WALSAA Outstanding Sophmore Award (Awarded to 10 sophomores)
-Ruth and Carl Miller Academic Merit Award
-Demeter Merit Award
-AP Capstone Diploma Recipient (passed AP Seminar and AP research)
-Blue Hycinth Award & Pink Aster Award (recognition of outstanding community service by National Charity League)

Extracurriculars:
- Alumni Association Student Representative - Attend board meetings, suggest ideas, etc
-College of Ag. and Life Sciences Ambassador- give campus tours, etc
- Undergraduate Zoological Society - Secretary (2022-2023) & President (2023-2024). Organize events for students of all majors to interact/learn about animals. Volunteer at local rescues (parrot rescue, humane society, zoo)
-Pre Veterinary Association - not super involved but a member
- O'Brien School for the Maasai - Organized shoe, food, and school supplies drives. Brought goods collected to school in 2019 and organized wish lists of what they need.
-National Charity League - Volunteered around my community with different organizations in high school and am still tied with some of the organizations I worked with during this time

LORs:
1) PI for the comparative genetics lab I work in, also an assistant professor of soft tissue surgery at veterinary school -- knows me well personally, offered to read essay and such
2) Clinical Professor of Zoological Medicine at vet school - has seen me work extensively in clinical settings. I've helped him teach handling labs and helped with his research (see above). Knows me fairly well as a person and I think he knows I really enjoy working and learning from him.
3) Clinical Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at veterinary school - AMAZING man. Knows me well. Can speak to my communication skills well. Told me he'd write an amazing letter and that he feels I already function as a vet student (so reaalllyyy hoping that actually comes through haha).
4). Professor I had for Veterinary Genetics - invited me to write a paper with him after having him for class with his PhD student, and 2 other undergrads. I don't know him super well but I think he can speak to my academics and attitude towards school.

My biggest concern...
is my application shows that I have a pretty strong tie to one specific vet school. While I'd be thrilled to go there, do you think it will hurt my chances of being taken seriously by other vet schools? Will they look at my application and think I'm not worth it? Additionally, while 3 of my LORs are from (I think) respected vets, I'm worried they may read similar. I was going to ask for a 5th LORs from the supervisor of the zoo I worked in but it's been 2+ years and she didn't know me incredibly well and I felt it might seem out of place in my application.

Honestly, I just want to get into A vet school so I just want an outsider's perspective to make sure there is nothing majorly missing.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello all! I am a 21F, first-time applicant currently finishing up my B.S in Animal Sciences and Conservation Biology. I am currently planning to apply to CSU, Cornell, Tufts, UC Davis, Wisconsin, NCSU, Illinois, UGA, and UF. My current interests are in zoo med/conservation medicine career interests. I do also have a mild interest in ophthalmology! My in-state school is Wisconsin.

Cumulative GPA: 3.91
Science GPA: 3.87
Last 45: 3.84

Veterinary Experience:
- 100h Volunteer Equine Hospital
- 120h Observer in Small Animal Clinic (VCA)
~1100 working as a veterinary assistant the Special Species department of my university's veterinary school (includes on-call hours). Mostly exotic pets with occasional zoo animals and wildlife.
~40h working in the primary care department of my university's vet school as a veterinary assistant when they were short staffed
~250h working as a veterinary assistant in the Ophthalmology department of my university's vet school (in surgery and appointments). Mostly small animals but occasional equine/bovine patients.

Animal Experience:
-5000h+ Horse Care/Riding Experience (barn chores, exercising horses, medicating, etc). Included competition hours/results in my
- 80h Tufts SVM Adventures in Veterinary Medicine Program when I was in Vet school -- mostly just included this since I am applying to Tufts. Attended some cool hands lectures/labs
-300h Local Zoo (conducted education presentations, animal husbandry, maintaining enclosures, etc). Had livestock, small exotic mammals, large exotic mammals, reptiles, birds, etc)
-150h local humane society-- (junior board president when I was in high school, lots of humane education)

Research Experience:
-100h doing research on Transgenerational Epigenetic Inheritance in mammals with a professor of mine (dept chair of AnSci at my university) -- *publication pending*
-50h working with a clinical professor at my state's veterinary school on his various research projects (analyzing CT Data, medical records, etc)
-400h working with a comparative genetics lab associated with my state's veterinary school. Focused on studying Ocular Melanosis in Cairn Terriers, Osteosarcoma in large dog breeds, and environmental factors of CCL rupture in Labradors.
-75h working on an independent study on the effects of SERT Functioning on Litter Size and Mortality Rate in mice under the supervision of a graduate student
-250h working on an independent study in highschool involving transgenic zebrafish for my AP research program. Involved in breeding/care of fish colony independently.

Awards/scholarships:
- John A Spurrell Award (merit based to student in AnSci/Forest & Wildlife Ecology)
- WALSAA Outstanding Sophmore Award (Awarded to 10 sophomores)
-Ruth and Carl Miller Academic Merit Award
-Demeter Merit Award
-AP Capstone Diploma Recipient (passed AP Seminar and AP research)
-Blue Hycinth Award & Pink Aster Award (recognition of outstanding community service by National Charity League)

Extracurriculars:
- Alumni Association Student Representative - Attend board meetings, suggest ideas, etc
-College of Ag. and Life Sciences Ambassador- give campus tours, etc
- Undergraduate Zoological Society - Secretary (2022-2023) & President (2023-2024). Organize events for students of all majors to interact/learn about animals. Volunteer at local rescues (parrot rescue, humane society, zoo)
-Pre Veterinary Association - not super involved but a member
- O'Brien School for the Maasai - Organized shoe, food, and school supplies drives. Brought goods collected to school in 2019 and organized wish lists of what they need.
-National Charity League - Volunteered around my community with different organizations in high school and am still tied with some of the organizations I worked with during this time

LORs:
1) PI for the comparative genetics lab I work in, also an assistant professor of soft tissue surgery at veterinary school -- knows me well personally, offered to read essay and such
2) Clinical Professor of Zoological Medicine at vet school - has seen me work extensively in clinical settings. I've helped him teach handling labs and helped with his research (see above). Knows me fairly well as a person and I think he knows I really enjoy working and learning from him.
3) Clinical Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at veterinary school - AMAZING man. Knows me well. Can speak to my communication skills well. Told me he'd write an amazing letter and that he feels I already function as a vet student (so reaalllyyy hoping that actually comes through haha).
4). Professor I had for Veterinary Genetics - invited me to write a paper with him after having him for class with his PhD student, and 2 other undergrads. I don't know him super well but I think he can speak to my academics and attitude towards school.

My biggest concern...
is my application shows that I have a pretty strong tie to one specific vet school. While I'd be thrilled to go there, do you think it will hurt my chances of being taken seriously by other vet schools? Will they look at my application and think I'm not worth it? Additionally, while 3 of my LORs are from (I think) respected vets, I'm worried they may read similar. I was going to ask for a 5th LORs from the supervisor of the zoo I worked in but it's been 2+ years and she didn't know me incredibly well and I felt it might seem out of place in my application.

Honestly, I just want to get into A vet school so I just want an outsider's perspective to make sure there is nothing majorly missing.
You are very competitive. I cannot imagine you not being accepted by several schools. Time to relax and enjoy life a little. You will do well.

Reactions: 1 users
You are very competitive. I cannot imagine you not being accepted by several schools. Time to relax and enjoy life a little. You will do well.
I am not clear. I should have said your grades and extracurriculars have made you very competitive for being offered a seat in most likely several veterinary schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not clear. I should have said your grades and extracurriculars have made you very competitive for being offered a seat in most likely several veterinary schools.
Thank you lots! This lowered my stress level tremendously.

I do think I am going to have to get another LOR for Tufts (from a professor). I'm not sure if this is something you know anything about.... but I was going to ask the head of zoological medicine at the vet school I work at as he taught my Diseases of Wildlife class sophomore year (he was almost never there... only came to the exams) and recommended me for the position I have in their special species department based on a conversation I had with him outside of class. I initially didn't ask him because he isn't in the clinic much. He did make comments like ""how did you like yesterday's lecture" when I saw him in the clinic and knew I got an A in the class. Do you think it would be inappropriate to ask him to fill a professor slot?

I do think I am going to have to get another LOR for Tufts (from a professor). I'm not sure if this is something you know anything about.... but I was going to ask the head of zoological medicine at the vet school I work at as he taught my Diseases of Wildlife class sophomore year (he was almost never there... only came to the exams) and recommended me for the position I have in their special species department based on a conversation I had with him outside of class. I initially didn't ask him because he isn't in the clinic much. He did make comments like ""how did you like yesterday's lecture" when I saw him in the clinic and knew I got an A in the class. Do you think it would be inappropriate to ask him to fill a professor slot?
I do not think it would be inappropriate at all. Worst he could say is "no thankyou".

I don't think it would be inappropriate, but I'd ask yourself if you think that this person is going to know you well enough write you a STRONG, positive letter that is really personalized to you. That's going to be what makes letters stand out, and I'd worry that based on the information you've provided here, if he agrees to give you a letter, he might not know you as a student enough to write you a really quality letter vs a generic sort of "they're a good student who did well in my class" letter.

I don't think it would be appropriate, but I'd ask yourself if you think that this person is going to know you well enough write you a STRONG, positive letter that is really personalized to you. That's going to be what makes letters stand out, and I'd worry that based on the information you've provided here, if he agrees to give you a letter, he might not know you as a student enough to write you a really quality letter vs a generic sort of "they're a good student who did well in my class" letter.
Thank you! That's super helpful. This is the same concern I had. He knows me fairly well but he is an older gentleman and have a feeling the letter would be the generic sort. Thanks for the advice!

Hey! I also attended Tufts AVM program in high school (and I'm also applying to vet school this cycle, so maybe we were there the same year)! I hadn't thought to list it on my application, can I ask what you put it under? Would it be considered a volunteer experience?

Hey! I also attended Tufts AVM program in high school (and I'm also applying to vet school this cycle, so maybe we were there the same year)! I hadn't thought to list it on my application, can I ask what you put it under? Would it be considered a volunteer experience?
Hello! That's awesome haha, maybe I know you! I put it under animal experience but I was contemplating volunteer. I know it was all "veterinary" related but I didn't feel comfortable considering it that given we were supervised by vet students with the occasional vet. I picked animals since everything we did either involved animals or was learning about them. I came up with ~80h given we did do some stuff on the weekends. Let me know if you think differently ;)