WAMC- 1st time applicant w/ low overall GPA but high University GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

natalieevincent

Reaction score
Hi all! I am looking for some insight to my stats as a first time applicant. I struggled heavy my Freshman and Sophomore years but transferred and made a big comeback, but I'm worried my grades from my first two years will ruin my chances. Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated!
22, F, NJ, Traditional, First Application
Notable:
First-generation college student, President’s list and Honor roll from 2022-current

Plan on Applying: UPenn, NCSU, UT, OSU, Mississippi, Michigan, UF, Auburn, CSU, Virginia-Maryland, LIU, LMU, Rowan (If open in time). Also open to the Island schools!
Overall GPA: 3.75 (University) ~3.0 (VMCAs)

Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.8 (University) ~2.98 (VMCAs)

Last 45 GPA: Yet to be completed but looking like a 3.8-4.0

GPA Explanation:
Freshman Year:
I went OOS for my first year during the height of the pandemic (HS class of 2020 :/). I struggled being away from home more than I thought I would, and it was difficult for me to find the support system I needed. Ended Fall with a VERY low GPA and was put on Academic Probation because of it. Spring semester my dad was in the hospital with a really bad case of COVID for the beginning of the semester, and then my dog tragically passed. I was still struggling to find a good support system and ultimately was academically dismissed from my university.

Sophomore Year: Went to a community college for Fall and to another OOS school for the Spring. I went to the hospital unexpectantly at the end of the Fall and missed my finals, and most of my professors would not let me take them at a later date. I was at a very low point mentally and was still beating myself up for failing my freshman year. My grades climbed a little in the Spring but not significantly.

Junior year: FINALLY got myself together and went to a different university. I retook all failed classes and earned all A’s in them. Ultimately ended with a 3.85 GPA!

Senior year: Just started and will be taking all upper-level science courses- I expect to do well since I have had all of my future professors before for different classes.

Q?- I have a significant climb in GPA during undergrad, will this stand out to admissions committees? If so, what schools would look at this the most? Are there any schools that take the final grade only when calculating GPAs or do they all average?

Degree(s): B.S. Biomedical Sciences w/ Psychology “minor” (Psych is a passion of mine so I took over 20 credits worth of Psychology and Neuroscience courses as electives, but my university doesn’t honor/recognize minors.

Veterinary Experience:
- Small Animal Employment: ~800 as a Vet Tech
(Applied and/or interviewed for Equine shadowing and other GPs, waiting to hear back)

Animal Experience:
- Kennel Technician- ~2,000
- Petting Zoo Hand at a Local Farm- ~250
- Pet Sitting- ROUGH estimate of ~150-200

Q?- I am struggling to find other fields of vet med (Large animal/ Exotic/Research willing to let me shadow or work in (Have been contacting all fields within an hour radius for months with no luck). My professors do not conduct research and we do not have Lab TAs at my school. Will this hurt me even more considering I have a low overall GPA? How do you find vets that will allow you to work with them or shadow?

Extracurriculars/Awards:
- Honor Roll- all semesters from 2022-current
- Dean’s List- Fall 2023
- Honors Society in High School
-Sustainability Club at my university
- PAWS club freshman year
-Several clubs and sports in High school including World Wildlife Fund and Habitat for Humanity

Q?- Should I Include the PAWS Club since it was at the university I failed at? I also applied to several volunteer opportunities within my community and am waiting to hear back for when I can start.

Non-Animal Employment:
Manager/ Supervisor at Panera Bread: FT two years
Serving jobs from 2019-2022
Multiple jobs since I was 14.

Possible LORs (Haven’t asked yet but will in a few months- have a significant/long relationship with all):
- Veterinarian: 1-2 from former Vets I worked with + current vets I plan to work with
- Employer: Boss at Panera Bread
- Professor: Biology Prof (Same professor from General Bio-my final Bio-related class- 12 classes total)
-Professor: Chemistry Prof (Same professor from General Chem- Organic II)

Essay Questions/Personal Statement (Haven’t started so just spit balling ideas here):
Plan on writing about my passion for exploring and strengthening the human-animal bond as a small animal vet. When I was down about my freshman year, the only thing that kept me relatively sane when I was feeling alone and isolated was my rabbit, and I want to focus on companion animals because of it.

I also want to talk about my future plans as a veterinarian which is to contribute to the community by opening my own practice to make vet services as affordable as possible. When my dog passed away my freshman year, we could not afford the treatment he needed to make him better and ultimately had to put him down so he didn’t suffer anymore.

I want to touch on my growth and determination as a student since I have come extremely far in the past few years.

Again, any insight is helpful! TYIA

Members don't see this ad.