WAMC First time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

groveysmom

Reaction score
Hello friends! I've looked over my stats and wanted some opinions on my chances?? I’m currently a graduate student pursing a thesis-based degree in animal science from ISU. I went off the vet school track a couple years back to pursue nutrition before realizing I’m not happy in this field and vet med is a better fit for me. The backup plan: finish my graduate degree and work as a vet assistant (or maybe a vet lab?) and reapply.

I'm applying to ISU as an in-state applicant (I'm married, spouse is in law school, so I can't leave the state). I emailed the admissions coordinator and mentioned that my vet hours are low and she said they'll look at all of my animal/research/vet hours combined. It made me feel better but I'm still suspicious if that's true.

GPA and CASPER:
• Bachelor's in animal science with a Cumulative GPA: 3.81

Graduate school GPA currently: 3.71

• Science GPA: 3.76

• Last 45 (estimate): 3.68 ?

• One bad CASPer test score ;0; I'm talkin' 1st quartile

I had 5 letters of recommendation:

◦ 2 professors I helped with research (the swine and nutrition ones below)

◦ 1 professor who was my boss when I was a peer mentor and I took genetics with

◦ My graduate biology TA boss

◦ A vet I shadowed weekly this past summer

3352 research/animal/vet experience hours (Most are research) including:

◦ Shadowing at two clinics, but limited hours (like ~100) :(. one equine and one small animal clinic. I did see a ton of interesting procedures though!

◦ Intensive graduate research for my Master’s on dairy cattle health and their GIT microbiome (includes animal handling of course. DNA extractions, using an oral stomach tube for samples, analyzing DNA sequences, etc.). I’ll be graduating with my Master’s this spring. Not related to vet/animal hours but I’m also a graduate TA for intro bio lab :)

◦Research assistantships with two professors as an undergrad. One analyzing pig behavior and another in ruminant nutrition (lab work, liver biopsies, blood draws, etc.)

◦ Zoo internship in college- small exotic handling and environmental education

◦ Bolunteering at 2 animal shelters

Extracurriculars:
◦ 2 research publications

• 9 leadership positions/undergrad TA (club exec team, peer mentor, residence hall parliament, etc.)
  • Internship at a zoo as a teen
• General member of 3 clubs in undergrad: 1 animal, 1 history, and 1 volunteer based

• 3 jobs not animal related (graduate TA, dining center, and an orientation leader)

Thanks in advance! I know my vet hours are low, it’s just near impossible for me to find time to shadow while working 7 days a week for grad school, plus my program doesn’t allow for me to have another job. Just looking at opinions on my chances and if my backup plan sounds like a good idea??

Good luck to my fellow applicants this cycle!

Sincerely,

A very scared grad student

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing is ever guaranteed, but I'd say you stand a very good chance at ISU. Don't have any experience with Casper, but ISU weights it at 10% for admissions, so hopefully the other parts of your application will overcome it. Your grades and research experience are great. If this cycle does not work out, do a file review and get more vet hours. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing is ever guaranteed, but I'd say you stand a very good chance at ISU. Don't have any experience with Casper, but ISU weights it at 10% for admissions, so hopefully the other parts of your application will overcome it. Your grades and research experience are great. If this cycle does not work out, do a file review and get more vet hours. Best of luck!
Thanks so much!! :)) fingers crossed!