WAMC Reapplicant / retook the DAT with small changes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalReapplicant99

Reaction score
Date of submission: As soon as it opens
Overall GPA: 3.77
Science GPA: 3.70
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.69

DAT score:
(First time scores in parentheses)

PAT- 23 (Was 21)
QR- 20 (Was 17)
RC- 18 (Was 22)
Bio- 21 (Was 19)
GC- 21 (Was 23)
OC- 19 (Was 17)
TS- 20 (Was 19)
AA- 20 (Same)

State of Residence: Georgia

Undergrad Attended: Georgia State University
Major: Biology
Minor: None
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? Yes

Nontrad?

Graduated Undergrad in 2022
Qualify as a disadvantaged student

Shadowing Experience:
200 General Dentist
56 Oral surgeon

Volunteering Experience:
Hospital Volunteer: 48 hours
Community Band: 102 hours
Community Orchestra: 58 hours
Food Pantry: 168 hours

Employment: 1200 hours as a Laboratory Chemist at a manufacturing plant

Research: 136 Hours of Molecular Parasitology Research, the effect of Beta-Lapachone on the PARP enzyme

Other Extracurriculars:

- 960 hours of GSU marching band
- 432 hours of GSU basketball band
- 54 hours of GSU fencing club

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools?

Yes, attended Dental College of Georgia Impressions Day for prospective students and attended the Hinman Dental Conference

Relevant Honors or Awards:

- Dean's List for 4 semesters
- President’s List for 4 semesters
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude

LOR type and strength:

Molecular Parasitology professor- Strong
College Marching Band Director- Strong
Food Bank Leader- Strong
Dentist I shadowed

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:

Had to retake both Organic Chemistry I and Organic Chemistry II

School list:
Dental College of Georgia
University of Louisville
University of Kentucky
University of Tennessee
LECOM

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: As soon as it opens
Overall GPA: 3.77
Science GPA: 3.70
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.69

DAT score:
(First time scores in parentheses)

PAT- 23 (Was 21)
QR- 20 (Was 17)
RC- 18 (Was 22)
Bio- 21 (Was 19)
GC- 21 (Was 23)
OC- 19 (Was 17)
TS- 20 (Was 19)
AA- 20 (Same)

State of Residence: Georgia

Undergrad Attended:
Georgia State University
Major: Biology
Minor: None
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? Yes

Nontrad?
Graduated Undergrad in 2022
Qualify as a disadvantaged student

Shadowing Experience:

200 General Dentist
56 Oral surgeon

Volunteering Experience:
Hospital Volunteer: 48 hours
Community Band: 102 hours
Community Orchestra: 58 hours
Food Pantry: 168 hours

Employment: 1200 hours as a Laboratory Chemist at a manufacturing plant

Research: 136 Hours of Molecular Parasitology Research, the effect of Beta-Lapachone on the PARP enzyme

Other Extracurriculars:

- 960 hours of GSU marching band
- 432 hours of GSU basketball band
- 54 hours of GSU fencing club

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools?

Yes, attended Dental College of Georgia Impressions Day for prospective students and attended the Hinman Dental Conference

Relevant Honors or Awards:

-
Dean's List for 4 semesters
- President’s List for 4 semesters
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude

LOR type and strength:

Molecular Parasitology professor- Strong
College Marching Band Director- Strong
Food Bank Leader- Strong
Dentist I shadowed

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:

Had to retake both Organic Chemistry I and Organic Chemistry II

School list:
Dental College of Georgia
University of Louisville
University of Kentucky
University of Tennessee
LECOM
did you speak to georgia dental about your application last cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I did and I was told to get more volunteering hours helping people and raise the 17s I had on the DAT.
ah ok, good job
your list is way too short and too heavy on the publics...

ah ok, good job
your list is way too short and too heavy on
Thank you. I went from only 48 hours of volunteering where I was helping people to around 200 total. And then I just retook the DAT today but I don't know how to feel because I did improve in my lowest areas but I went down in 2 sections, so I'm not sure if my retake was significant enough or if I'll have to take it a third time...
As for the list yeah I'm still thinking on it.

Thank you. I went from only 48 hours of volunteering where I was helping people to around 200 total. And then I just retook the DAT today but I don't know how to feel because I did improve in my lowest areas but I went down in 2 sections, so I'm not sure if my retake was significant enough or if I'll have to take it a third time...
As for the list yeah I'm still thinking on it.
you'd have to be REALLY sure you are going to improve to do a retake
plus it will put you later in the cycle to submit and be evaluated for interviews...

Do you think my new scores look better than the old ones?
i'm not an adcom, so my opinion doesn't matter much
but you did get rid of the 17s like GA asked, and also have same/better AA/TS...

DCG had better interview you. You did what you were told. Don't forget to keep improving with your application (clinical experience and community service). None of your DAT subscores are 17 or below, and hopefully you'll get a little credit for the first RC score even if they cannot officially score you on it (unless they superscore).

How are you disadvantaged? Did you qualify for FAP? Connect with the other public schools in your region about your chances, such as perhaps UAB and the Florida dental schools (LECOM being one). Just be realistic as an OOS applicant.

DCG had better interview you. You did what you were told. Don't forget to keep improving with your application (clinical experience and community service). None of your DAT subscores are 17 or below, and hopefully you'll get a little credit for the first RC score even if they cannot officially score you on it (unless they superscore).

How are you disadvantaged? Did you qualify for FAP? Connect with the other public schools in your region about your chances, such as perhaps UAB and the Florida dental schools (LECOM being one). Just be realistic as an OOS applicant.
I hope they do. I got an interview the first time. I'm just not sure if even though my 17s improved if they look at general chemistry or RC and think that's too low or something. RC was strange this time, I'm not sure what happened to make me drop that low.

Based on the qualifications in the application site I am disadvantaged because I received the Pell Grant in undergrad, I had free/reduced lunch in grade school, and I have always lived in a healthcare shortage area.

I applied to UAB and University of Florida last year but didn't get an interview from either, I don't think my DAT scores are competitive enough.

I agree on applying to more schools, I think what you have is a little too selective and too many state schools.

The ones you have are fine, While your scores may have been a little low for UAB and UF, I still don't think it would be bad to apply again if you felt like it, especially since you've improved your application and you're in close proximity. Nova might be worth tossing as well if you have LECOM. I'd also consider Case Western, Creighton, MW-IL, and maybe Temple as well. You probably want to aim for at least 10-12 schools this go around if you can afford to.

I see strong connections to Georgia, so good job on that. Hopefully this cycle goes better this go around with them

Reactions: 1 users
I agree on applying to more schools, I think what you have is a little too selective and too many state schools.

The ones you have are fine, While your scores may have been a little low for UAB and UF, I still don't think it would be bad to apply again if you felt like it, especially since you've improved your application and you're in close proximity. Nova might be worth tossing as well if you have LECOM. I'd also consider Case Western, Creighton, MW-IL, and maybe Temple as well. You probably want to aim for at least 10-12 schools this go around if you can afford to.

I see strong connections to Georgia, so good job on that. Hopefully this cycle goes better this go around with them
Thank you for your comment.
Yeah my list is not entirely complete yet, and thank you for the suggestions. I've been trying to figure out exactly what schools are private but I can't find an actual list.
I'm hoping because I did exactly what I was said to improve on for Augusta that it'll be enough.

Yeah my list is not entirely complete yet, and thank you for the suggestions. I've been trying to figure out exactly what schools are private but I can't find an actual list.
Not only do I think it's listed in the Dental School Explorer, there is a map (Powerpoint), though check if it's updated. The slide that pops up shows for the 2017 entering class, with 40 public, 22 private, and 4 private state-related (which consists of UDM, Marquette, Pitt, and Temple).

Reactions: 1 users