WAMC 2024-25 Cycle (2nd Reapplicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringmich

Reaction score
Date of submission: getting everything ready to submit once the cycle opens up (May 31st or 06/01)
Overall GPA: 3.49
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
24AA 25TS 24 Bio 26 Org.Chem 26 Gen.Chem 22 RC 24 PS
State of Residence: MI

Undergrad Attended: University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
Major: Biomolecular Science
Minor: None
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes (2025-26 will be my 2nd time)
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: >150 hours (~100 hours in general, ~50 hours in Endo)
Volunteering Experience:
1) food distribution at local community center (5 hrs a week),
2) Samaritan Immigrant Group (~3 hours a week)
3) Ride coordinator at my church and small group leader (~3hrs a week)
Employment:
1) Steril Tech at Endo office (part-time, about 10 hours a week) from June 2021-Dec 2021
2) DA at Endo office (full-time, 40 hours a week) from June 2022-Dec 2022
3) DA at general office (was full-time until Dec 2023, but now part-time, 16 hrs a week) from June 2023-Current
Research:
1) Research at the University of Michigan SoD, research assistant, about 5 hrs a week (Feb 2024-current)
2) Research at University of Michigan, Department of molecular and Integrative physiology, 16 hours a week (Feb 2024-current)
Other Extracurriculars: None
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools?
Yes, research that I am doing at Umich SoD
Relevant Honors or Awards: Two University Honors for GPA above 3.5
LOR type and strength: Two letters from science professors, one from general dentist that I am working with right now. I believe both are pretty strong.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
When I first applied, I did not have any hours in volunteering and research. This time, I mainly focused on getting more volunteer/research hours plus working as a part-time DA
School list:

UMich
Detroit Mercy
Boston Univ
Rutgers
OSU
Augusta
UPenn
Tufts
UNC
Case Western
Marquette
Temple
Colorado
UCLA
UCSF
USC

Members don't see this ad.

I did not receive any interviews last cycle. The school list was pretty much the same from the list mentioned above.

Plus, two researches that I am doing are both volunteering, which all add up to around >100 hrs.

Last edited:
Date of submission: getting everything ready to submit once the cycle opens up (May 31st or 06/01)
Overall GPA: 3.49
Science GPA: 3.48
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.53
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 24AA 25TS 24 Bio 26 Org.Chem 26 Gen.Chem 22 RC 24 PS
State of Residence: MI

Undergrad Attended: University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
Major: Biomolecular Science
Minor: None
Minority? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: >150 hours (~100 hours in general, ~50 hours in Endo)
Volunteering Experience:
Employment:
1) Steril Tech at Endo office (part-time, about 10 hours a week) from June 2021-Dec 2021
2) DA at Endo office (full-time, 40 hours a week) from June 2022-Dec 2022
3) DA at general office (was full-time until Dec 2023, but now part-time, 16 hrs a week) from June 2023-Current
Research:
1) Research at the University of Michigan SoD, research assistant, about 5 hrs a week (Feb 2024-current)
2) Research at University of Michigan, Department of molecular and Integrative physiology, 16 hours a week (Feb 2024-current)
Other Extracurriculars: None
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools?
Yes, research that I am doing at Umich SoD
Relevant Honors or Awards: Two University Honors for GPA above 3.5
LOR type and strength: Two letters from science professors, one from general dentist that I am working with right now. I believe both are pretty strong.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: When I first applied, I did not have any hours in volunteering and research. This time, I mainly focused on getting more volunteer/research hours plus working as a part-time DA
School list:
UMich
Detroit Mercy
Boston Univ
Rutgers
OSU
Augusta
UPenn
Tufts
UNC
Case Western
Marquette
Temple
Colorado
UCLA
UCSF
USC
when did you submit last cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteering Experience:
Total hours would also be appreciated. We don't have your AADSAS to know the chronology, but any insight would also help.

So shockingly no bites from your Michigan in-states? What do you think is the reason? If you didn't move past the USC Kira and get an interview, why do you think this happened? (You did not apply to UDM due to a LOR requirement.)

Previously your post

I submitted 3rd week of June. So far, I only received Kira invite from USC, but nothing from any other schools (mostly rejections). :(
wow that sucks
exactly what was your list last cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
Total hours would also be appreciated. We don't have your AADSAS to know the chronology, but any insight would also help.

So shockingly no bites from your Michigan in-states? What do you think is the reason? If you didn't move past the USC Kira and get an interview, why do you think this happened? (You did not apply to UDM due to a LOR requirement.)

Previously your post
Just calculated the total hours. Including two researches, my total volunteer hours are >300hrs. Excluding research, it will be ~200hrs.

Reasons that I speculated were 1) weak PS, 2) bad descriptions of my experiences 3) I wasn't a well-rounded applicant as I only had clinical hours that most of applicants do have.

For USC, I only got Kira, no intervew. mb because I bombed the kira.

Just calculated the total hours. Including two researches, my total volunteer hours are >300hrs. Excluding research, it will be ~200hrs.

Reasons that I speculated were 1) weak PS, 2) bad descriptions of my experiences 3) I wasn't a well-rounded applicant as I only had clinical hours that most of applicants do have.

For USC, I only got Kira, no intervew. mb because I bombed the kira.
But you have resources at UMich that you can leverage to help you with writing (1 and 2).

I mentioned your lack balancing other activities (campus, community service) could be an issue in your first post. What have you done since I pointed that out?

How do you feel you "bombed" Kira? Hard to go into details without mentioning questions, but if they were typical questions like "tell us why you want to be a dentist," you shouldn't be bombing those.

Augusta/DCG is very in-state preferred so unless you grew up in Georgia, that's a bad choice.

Please clarify. The imminent cycle is 2024-2025.

Boston U
Colorado
UCSF
USC
UCLA
Case Western
Umich
Marquette
Rutgers
Temple
UPenn
Augusta
33% larger list is not "pretty much the same"
check the OOS admissions rate at augusta and unc

i would recommend taking off usc
and you can keep ucla/ucsf as long as you realize that they are reaches for you...

But you have resources at UMich that you can leverage to help you with writing (1 and 2).

I mentioned your lack balancing other activities (campus, community service) could be an issue in your first post. What have you done since I pointed that out?

How do you feel you "bombed" Kira? Hard to go into details without mentioning questions, but if they were typical questions like "tell us why you want to be a dentist," you shouldn't be bombing those.

Augusta/DCG is very in-state preferred so unless you grew up in Georgia, that's a bad choice.

Please clarify. The imminent cycle is 2024-2025.
Yeap, as I mentioned in the post, I really focused on getting more research/volunteer experiences. I've been part of two research teams while doing community services and my work as a DA.

It is really hard to explain without mentioning questions, but I basically made an argument without backing myself up or without valid reasonings.

For DCG, I am aware that it is highly in-state preferred school, but my gf lives in Georgia so Im just applying there in hopes of rare acceptances haha. I don't mind paying for application fee

33% larger list is not "pretty much the same"
check the OOS admissions rate at augusta and unc

i would recommend taking off usc
and you can keep ucla/ucsf as long as you realize that they are reaches for you...
Yes I tried to add more schools for broader list. I was actually debating whether I need to take off all schols in cali as they highly prefer academic students but my gpa is only 3.5. Also, I do not really want to live in cali.

Yes I tried to add more schools for broader list. I was actually debating whether I need to take off all schols in cali as they highly prefer academic students but my gpa is only 3.5. Also, I do not really want to live in cali.
then take them off
only apply to schools you would attend if they were the only school you got into
perhaps you could also take out colorado and add more midwet/central schools...

then take them off
only apply to schools you would attend if they were the only school you got into
perhaps you could also take out colorado and add more midwet/central schools...
can you list some OOS friendly schools outside Michigan? Or do u know where I can find the list?