WAMC 2023-2024, reapplicant, good GPA + recent DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnwisdomTeeth

Reaction score
Date of submission: Next early June
Overall GPA:
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
25AA, 25TS, 23BIO, 26GC, 30OC, 21RC, 23QR, 22PAT
State of Residence: California

Undergrad Attended: University of California (transfer student from CC)
Major: Chemistry
Minor: N/A
Minority? No- Asian
Reapplicant? Yes :cryi:
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: Over 400 hours in dental offices
Volunteering Experience: Over 300 hours (hospital, hospice center)
Employment: Over 800 hours, a dental assistant with X-ray certificate.
Research: N/A :(
Other Extracurriculars: A predental club
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's Honor list (CC and Uni), Summa Cum Laude (BS degree), got offer for Dental HPSP scholarship from the Navy (but I must turn it down because no acceptance from schools)

LOR type and strength:
2 LORs from science professors (average), 1 LOR from a dentist (strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
Bad interview skills/ English is my second language/ Age over 30
School list:
California schools
-UCSF
-UCLA
-UoP
-WesternU
-USC
Out-of California:
-ASDOH
-MWU AZ
-UNLV
-LECOM (Florida)
I guess you guys will have many questions about my last cycle. And don't be discouraged if you are an applicant in the coming cycle.
Please you can recommend which schools are OOS-friendly for California students?
Thank you for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: Next early June
Overall GPA: 3.95
Science GPA: 4.00
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.00
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 25AA, 25TS, 23BIO, 26GC, 30OC, 21RC, 23QR, 22PAT
State of Residence: California

Undergrad Attended: University of California (transfer student from CC)
Major: Chemistry
Minor: N/A
Minority? No- Asian
Reapplicant? Yes :cryi:
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: Over 400 hours in dental offices
Volunteering Experience: Over 300 hours (hospital, hospice center)
Employment: Over 800 hours, a dental assistant with X-ray certificate.
Research: N/A :(
Other Extracurriculars: A predental club
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's Honor list (CC and Uni), Summa Cum Laude (BS degree), got offer for Dental HPSP scholarship from the Navy (but I must turn it down because no acceptance from schools)

LOR type and strength: 2 LORs from science professors (average), 1 LOR from a dentist (strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Bad interview skills/ English is my second language/ Age over 30
School list:
California schools
-UCSF
-UCLA
-UoP
-WesternU
-USC
Out-of California:
-ASDOH
-MWU AZ
-UNLV
-LECOM (Florida)
I guess you guys will have many questions about my last cycle. And don't be discouraged if you are an applicant in the coming cycle.
Please you can recommend which schools are OOS-friendly for California students?
Thank you for your advice!
how many schools did you apply to and when for this past cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
So congrats on the HPSP and hope you can get that in your pocket again. Why do you think you weren't accepted?
I think my bad interview skills. English is my second language with my heavy Asian accent. I also didn't prepare questions before interviews.

Are all your interviews in-state or did you get a couple of privates?

By all means, focus on your interviewing and communications skills. You did very well with 4 interviews, and I'm sorry it doesn't seem like you sealed the deal yet (hoping for your WL). Make sure you really research the schools by networking with current students in ASDA, SNDA, and any affinity groups at the schools (such as any Asian-PacIsl community student groups).

Really have a number of people who have expertise in screening PS's for dental admissions look at your submitted essays. If you have a proper mission-fit, I would hope you could get a few more schools. You have the numbers and the HPSP to make the schools want to recruit you (since you bring money to their ledger if you attend dental school with them).

Apply early and be able to show what's different about your app this time around. Do not submit the same PS (this is a common fatal mistake I've heard that re-applicants make). In your writing (whether it's PS, experience description, etc), highlight how you've focused on improving interpersonal skills and how you wish to continue honing that skill – emphasizing that you recognize excellent interpersonal communication is essential to be a great dentist (make patients more comfortable, work better on a team if you're a better communicator, etc).

Supposing it was your interview skills that didn't get you in and supposing you interview again at one of the four schools you've previously interviewed at, they're going to want to see for themselves and experience your improvement in interpersonal skills. Make sure you can do that.

It's clear your application itself wasn't missing anything, but since you're reapplying I think you're gonna have to make sure your app is different - for the sake of convention. And in interviews this upcoming cycle, be prepared to answer what's changed about you and your app. You have what it takes! Great stats, great dental experience, great extracurriculars – just focus on formal interview training and you should be golden.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users