WAMC first time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pawsitivevibes

Reaction score
I was just wondering if you guys think my stats are realistic for getting interviews from the schools I'm applying to. I am a CA resident who just graduated as a biology / Norwegian double major from St. Olaf and am applying this cycle.

Deans list x4
Overall GPA: 3.73
Science GPA: ~ 3.4
Last 45 GPA: 3.9
Experiences:
- Working with an equine veterinarian for artificial insemination of Icelandic horses: 800 hours
- Equine vet shadowing: 88 hours
- Small animal clinic shadowing: 200 hours
- Banfield vet assistant: 320 hours
- small animal clinic volunteer assistant: 360 hours
- dog boarding / walking / sitting through Rover: 900 hours
- doggy daycare attendant: 320 hours
- Equine therapeutic riding center volunteer: 30 hours
- 2 research labs totaling 250 hours
- Leadership: president of Food Recovery Network, treasurer of pre-vet club
- Schools I am applying to: UC Davis, Western, CSU, Ohio, Oregon, Michigan, Illinois, Midwestern, Minnesota, Washington, Glasgow, Dublin, Bristol

Members don't see this ad.

Nice overall and last 45 GPA, solid animal/vet experiences (might be considered “lower” compared to some apps - but you have a good gpa/varied experiences).

Science gpa is a little low but it’s not horrible. I believe mine was about a 3.4.

I don’t know much about the schools except Minnesota and Ohio are two great options for you to apply to based on stats.

Concerns:
No outside work involvement (important to show you’ve tried other things, have had some real life work experience)
Not much club/extracurricular involvement
Not much volunteer work?

I don’t see much of anything on your app that’s not vet med related which could be a red flag. It’s really important that we are real people with experiences and interests outside of our future career field. It shows we aren’t one track minded AND care about things other than vet med.
It also makes you stand out bc everyone in the cycle will have a crap ton of vet med and animal experiences

Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
Nice overall and last 45 GPA, solid animal/vet experiences (might be considered “lower” compared to some apps - but you have a good gpa/varied experiences).

Science gpa is a little low but it’s not horrible. I believe mine was about a 3.4.

I don’t know much about the schools except Minnesota and Ohio are two great options for you to apply to based on stats.

Concerns:
No outside work involvement (important to show you’ve tried other things, have had some real life work experience)
Not much club/extracurricular involvement
Not much volunteer work?

I don’t see much of anything on your app that’s not vet med related which could be a red flag. It’s really important that we are real people with experiences and interests outside of our future career field. It shows we aren’t one track minded AND care about things other than vet med.
It also makes you stand out bc everyone in the cycle will have a crap ton of vet med and animal experiences

Good luck :)
Hi, thanks for your feedback!
I didn't add some of my extracurriculars but they included being part of a handbell choir, club and intramural soccer, and being in the food recovery network all 4 years (club for volunteering and fighting food waste in college cafeterias). Should I add activities from high school or is that irrelevant? I played cello and soccer / softball throughout high school. I also got an article published in a Norwegian newspaper, but I'm not sure how to add that to my application - or if I should?
I just graduated from St. Olaf in Minnesota so I would be excited to get in and stay there!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Should I add activities from high school or is that irrelevant? I played cello and soccer / softball throughout high school. I also got an article published in a Norwegian newspaper, but I'm not sure how to add that to my application - or if I should?
I think if you are right out of undergrad or you did something really cool in high school, add it! It doesn't hurt your application and it could make you stand out.
Include the publication! I don't remember what all the different sections are, but find a way to incorporate it.

Hi, thanks for your feedback!
I didn't add some of my extracurriculars but they included being part of a handbell choir, club and intramural soccer, and being in the food recovery network all 4 years (club for volunteering and fighting food waste in college cafeterias). Should I add activities from high school or is that irrelevant? I played cello and soccer / softball throughout high school. I also got an article published in a Norwegian newspaper, but I'm not sure how to add that to my application - or if I should?
I just graduated from St. Olaf in Minnesota so I would be excited to get in and stay there!
Relevancy is for the committee to decide. If you don't put it on, they'll never know!