WAMC first time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danalittle

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I started submitting some of my applications and i'm already getting super nervous!! I'm hoping to get some perspectives on my applications. I am a 22F MA resident Biology/Biotechnology major.

cGPA: 3.7
Science GPA: 3.65
Last 45 ~3.8

Vet experiences: roughly 2,000 hours
374 hours as internal medicine VA paid
256 hours wildlife rescue hospital
612 hours GP VA paid
352 hours unpaid intern in specialty hospital (surgery, urgent care, internal medicine)
520 hours unpaid shadowing GP

Animal experience:
900 hours paid kennel attendant at dog shelter
60 hours volunteering at wildlife sanctuary
24 hours at sea turtle hospital

Work experience:
Resident advisor ~640 hours
Human hospital ~200 hours
call center manager on campus 280 hours
volunteering for ALS charity 200 hours
education volunteer at new england aquarium 500 hours

Research
56 hours in neuorbiology lab
420 hours working with bacteria and antibiotics

misc.
some academic awards through my sorority
deans list
involved in a handful of clubs on campus
president of pre health honor society
do charity through my sorority

Applying to: Iowa State, LIU, Cornell, Ross, Tufts, LMU (i already have an interview scheduled!), Glasgow, Royal, SGU, Arizona, Edinburgh, Illinois, Bristol, UPENN, Midwestern, Western, Virginia-Maryland
Not sure if I should apply to LSU, Mississippi, Tennessee

As you can see I am very desperate to be accepted this cycle lol. Should I apply to LSU, Mississippi, Tennessee? Literally my goal is to just have one school accept me I feel like my application is just average and I know it's really competitive. Any thoughts, opinions would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You have the complete package. Your grades are competitive, a good number of varied vet hours, animal hours, research, other work experience, extracurriculars, etc. Knock on wood, but as long as your personal statement/essays are strong and you have good LOR's you will get in somewhere. You have already applied to a LOT of schools with varying price tags. Only apply to schools that you can truly see yourself going to and can afford. Nothing is worse than having to turn down an offer because it's either unaffordable or you realize that it's not a good fit or the location isn't feasible.

Best of luck to you!

You have the complete package. Your grades are competitive, a good number of varied vet hours, animal hours, research, other work experience, extracurriculars, etc. Knock on wood, but as long as your personal statement/essays are strong and you have good LOR's you will get in somewhere. You have already applied to a LOT of schools with varying price tags. Only apply to schools that you can truly see yourself going to and can afford. Nothing is worse than having to turn down an offer because it's either unaffordable or you realize that it's not a good fit or the location isn't feasible.

Best of luck to you!
Thank you so much!! This was very reassuring and I really appreciate it! :)