WAMC First Time Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sk1911

Reaction score
Hi, I'm applying for the first time this cycle. First-gen student from WA.

Community College GPA (2 years): 4.0
Undergrad CUM GPA: 3.83
Undergrad Science GPA: 3.77
Last 45: 3.85

Degrees:
Associates in Arts
BS in MCD Biology

Experience:
- 1200 hrs at SA (cat and dog) clinic
- 100 hrs (pending) at another SA (dogs, cats, and rabbits)
- 300 hrs at cat cafe
- 500 hrs pet sitting (not sure if I want to report this?)
- 40 hrs research (non-animal)
- 50 hrs volunteering with horses

Awards:
- High Honors Graduate (CC)
- Dean's List every quarter (Undergrad)
- Academic Excellence Award

Extracurriculars:
- Volunteering with people with disabilities (300 hrs total)
- TA at an elementary school (80 hrs)
- Garden Docent (15 hrs)
- Church Work (feeding homeless, child care) (50 hrs)
- Pre-Vet Society
- Tennis Club
- Art Club
- Orchestra

Hobbies:
- Foraging
- Thrifting

LORs:
- 2 from vets
- 1 from professors
- 1 from GP manager

Schools I'm Applying to:
- WSU (1st choice, my in-state school)
- NCSU
- Ohio
- Iowa
- Illinois
- Missouri

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I forgot Academic Excellence Award in undergrad woops. Also, if anyone has time to read over my essays, please, let me know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably haven't gotten a lot of responses because you're in good shape. Your gpa's are very good and you have a decent # of vet hours. I'd wait to submit til the end of the summer to include the equine hours. Do your best with your personal statement. You stand a very good chance of getting multiple acceptances. Hope WSU works out for you.

I held off on responding because I'm not sure how you specifically stack up at most of the schools on your list.

If you don't have a LOT of hours of volunteering with people who have disabilities, or no leadership roles, I would def consider your application lacking in the non-vet experiences regard. And I think that would make it tough at Illinois, the one school on your list I am familiar with, since they won't consider GPA in the end phases. I think that adding HS ECs might help shore this up, especially if you had a leadership role, and would include them in this case.

I held off on responding because I'm not sure how you specifically stack up at most of the schools on your list.

If you don't have a LOT of hours of volunteering with people who have disabilities, or no leadership roles, I would def consider your application lacking in the non-vet experiences regard. And I think that would make it tough at Illinois, the one school on your list I am familiar with, since they won't consider GPA in the end phases. I think that adding HS ECs might help shore this up, especially if you had a leadership role, and would include them in this case.
I'm not sure what would be a lot, but most of my disability volunteering was in high school. It was around 300-400 hours, but I forgot the actual number. I'll look back into my volunteering stuff, I just realized the application says to note the top 4, but I don't have the limit to just 5 woops.

I updated my post to include more things since I thought I could only add 5. I have other hobbies (couponing, board games, DIY crafts/drawing) but I'm not sure if I they're appropriate to add.

Last edited: