WAMC Class of 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tayspot99

Reaction score
Hi all! I posted on here previously but I'm trying to narrow down my school list for this cycle based on my stats. Looking to apply to 5-6 schools, with my IS being UFCVM.

21 y/o F, traditional, FL resident, majoring in animal science and minoring in chemistry

Overall GPA: 3.91

Science GPA: 3.86

Last 45 GPA: 4.0

Veterinary Experience:
  • 200 hours shadowing at various small animal vets in high school
  • 1000 hours working as a vet assistant at a small animal GP (started out as a volunteer and got hired after my first summer working)
  • 220 hours working as a surgical vet assistant at a specialty hospital (small animal surgery department)
  • 90 hours as a student intern at an exotic animal hospital
  • 30 hours at a wildlife rehab and rescue center when I studied abroad
  • 20 hours large animal from working with the campus veterinarian in animal science labs, and from when I worked with beef cattle
Animal Experience:
  • 500 hours volunteering/fostering/adopting out puppies from a local rescue
  • 400 hours fostering and adopting out kittens from animal control
  • 350 hours working with beef cattle on my college campus
  • 50 hours from various animal science lab classes
Research Experience:
  • 120 hours on my personal research project. I wrote and received a grant to fund my work, and presented at our student symposium
  • 50 hours on a research project while studying abroad. My partner and I set up trail cameras and baited traps to see if anthropogenic factors influenced the efficacy of the live mammal traps. We presented our findings at our student symposium.
Employment:

70 hours - Groundskeeper at a Museum and Gardens my first semester of college
1200 hours - Theatre Camp Counselor in highschool

Extracurriculars/awards/honors:

• Deans List all semesters
  • Various undergrad scholarships
  • Research grant
  • Studied abroad for 1 month in Costa Rica taking a conservation medicine course taught by a DACZM
  • Pre-vet club 1 yr
  • Dance team 1yr
  • Youth Soccer Coach 1 semester
  • MLS Laser Therapy Certified
  • Fear Free Certified
  • HOSA member, NHS member in high school
  • Received various local theatre awards in high school (Best Musical Award at local competition, Critics Choice Award for a dance number at districts festival, etc. Selected to take our play to the state thespian festival)
LORs: 2 SA vets from the same practice, my research advisor, school advisor who also happens to be the campus veterinarian

I understand that I have a low number of large animal vet hours. I have tried to get experience with equine vets (since those are the only large animals near me) this summer, but the vets I have contacted either don't accept undergrads, don't reply, or are too quiet to actually have a student shadowing. I'll try my best to get some hours in this semester, but it is not a guarantee. I feel like this is a big downside to my application, so please let me know what schools I have the best shot at with these current stats. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly looks like a pretty good app to me. Yes, your LA hours are low, but you have SA GP experience, specialty experience, and a sprinkle of exotics, wildlife, and LA. Personally, I do not see this as a huge pitfall of your application, but obviously your app could be improved with a bit more LA vet hours. Your ECs are a bit weak imo though, nothing that really pops and doesn't look like any leadership/mentoring roles. Having a tiny bit of research is nice though.

There isn't any schools I can think of that I would explicitly discourage applying to. If you're going for optimal chances-- maybe look into schools that are known to focus on GPA more. But general things to consider: where do you meet the pre reqs? Cost of attendance? What parts of the country are you okay living in? Do you want to live in city/suburb/rural area? Does school have a teaching hospital? Is there tracking? Block system classes?

Reactions: 1 user