WAMC First Time CO 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zerda

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a current senior at University of Nebraska- Omaha majoring in Biology with a minor in Chemistry and Spanish. I am a first time applicant, and I applied to a lot of schools to try and up my chances. I’m mostly interested in exotic mammals, emergency small animal, and internal medicine.

Schools: UNL 2+2 w/ ISU (In-State), Iowa (OOS), Minnesota, Colorado, Mississippi, Ohio, Arizona, Illinois, Missouri, Washington, Georgia, Florida

Cumulative GPA: 3.34 (Repeats averaged) 3.54 (Repeats replaced)
Science GPA: 3.42 (averaged) 3.52 (Repeats replaced)
last 45: 3.72

Any degrees achieved: BS in Biology in Spring 2024

GRE results: N/A, Casper 4th Quartile

Veterinary Experience: (As of 9/18)
  • 700hrs working as a vet assistant at a small animal GP. Some exotics but mostly cats and dogs. I assist with appointments, blood draws, surgery, etc.
  • 30hrs shadowing a wildlife vet
  • 50hrs shadowing a different small animal vet as well as 6 hours with an orthopedic surgeon
  • 20hrs volunteering as a vet assistant for Street Dog Coalition (nonprofit free vet clinic)

Animal Experience: (As of 9/18)
  • 250hrs (unpaid) interning + ~20 volunteering at a wildlife rehab (same vet that I shadowed). Took care of injured and orphaned wildlife, assisted the vet sometimes as well. Mammals, avians, and some herps.
  • 40hrs (paid) as an assistant/farmhand on a small alpaca farm. Cleaning, feeding, giving shots. Assisted in the gelding of one alpaca.
  • 50hrs as a volunteer (kitten feeder) for humane society.

Worth noting that all these experiences are current except shadowing and the wildlife rehab. Those are just the hours on my application. I probably have 100 more hours at the vet clinic, as well as another 50 with the alpacas and 20 at the humane society.

Research Experience:
None: this is the first thing on my list to strengthen if I have to reapply.
Awards/scholarships:
  • Full tuition + full ride scholars program for STEM- highest level scholarship offered by my university
  • Gold scholarship (highest scholarship offered by my high school)
  • Dean’s List x3
  • Stanford D School and Harvard SMART certifications through my scholars program- basically problem solving and stress management courses respectively
  • NHS member in HS

Extracurriculars:
  • Pre-Vet Club- experience coordinator (2yrs, ~20hrs)
  • Community Action Project- working with other students in scholarship program to basically be consultants for a nonprofit in my area (4yrs, ~200hrs)
  • Band Section Leader (HS) (2yrs, ~750hrs)
  • Charity Board Member (HS) (2yrs, 50hrs)- Student board member for a charity similar to make a wish
  • NHS volunteer (HS) (4yrs, 160hrs)
  • Misc Volunteering 80hrs
-
Employment:
  • Grocery Cashier (HS)- 750hr
  • Pizza Delivery (College)- 800hr
LOR:
  • Small animal vet (owns the clinic where I work, Iowa alum)
  • Wildlife vet (from wildlife rehab, Tufts alum)
  • Professor (taken almost all the classes he offers, also the chair for Pre-Vet club)
  • Former head of volunteering organization, has known me for ~15 years
  • Program director for my scholarship program

Concerns:
My first year of college was 2020, when COVID was in full swing. I had a very bad first semester (1.9 GPA!!) and had to repeat every class except 1. My freshman GPA is a 2.94, Sophomore 3.41, Junior 3.59, and Senior 4.00 (So far). I’m hoping schools can see that upward trend, and a big chunk of my personal statement was about how switching from pre-med to vet gave me the energy and purpose that I needed to start working hard. Obviously I have a big advantage in schools that replace grades from retaken classes. However, a lot of schools, including my IS, take science prerequisite GPA as a factor, which for me is around 3.24, because I took a lot of those classes when I was still struggling, and didn’t get low enough grades to retake them. Schools looking at a 3.24 definitely worries me. I also feel like my experiences, while decently varied, are below average in terms of hours. I recognize that, with my GPA, very solid experiences are needed to make up for it, and I just don't have those right now. I switched from pre-med to pre-vet in late sophomore year so I feel pretty behind in terms of experience. I speak English, Spanish, and some Japanese. I put that in the languages spoken section but didn’t really mention it anywhere else. Do schools look at that sort of thing? My scholarship program hasn’t really dealt with a pre-vet student before and there aren’t a ton of pre-vet students at my school, so I feel like I’m taking shots in the dark! Thanks so much for your feedback everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly, your comeback from a 1.9 is really impressive and speaks volumes for your passion and dedication to vetted. ISU actually uses the replaced grade, so they will see you higher GPA, which puts you in a good position with them.

Thank you. I’m hoping that they take that into account, but the 3.24 that they calculated for my prereq gpa worries me.

Iowa is also looking at your last 45 gpa which you've brought up nicely. I got an OOS acceptance at Iowa and my overall science gpa was only around 3.21. However, due to retaking a number of science classes Iowa did calculate my science gpa using the retakes at around 3.90. If you don't get in this cycle, you might consider retaking some of those science prerequisites at a community college. All the science classes I retook (general chemistry, physics) plus my original general biology series were at 2-year colleges.

Reactions: 1 user