WAMC c/o 2029 and what experiences should I focus on until September?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coughdroplet01

Reaction score
Cumulative GPA: 3.71
science GPA: 3.65
last 45: 3.72

Degree: BS in neuroscience w/ a minor in molecular bio from Indiana University

Veterinary Experience: ~1700 hours by time I apply

- VA at three different clinics: SA GP, SA ER, shelter med (SA and exotics)
- Plan to shadow veterinary pathology lab for 200-300 hours in the next several months
- No LA or equine experience yet :( Have reached out for shadowing and hope to get at least 20 hours but there is little LA activity in my area

Animal Experience: ~ 100 hours
-mostly wildlife rehab
-also rescued and rehabilitated a severely neglected aquatic turtle but have no idea if I should include this. He is my pet now.

Research Experience: 1900 hours
I have done research for a few different labs, but my most valuable experience was 8 months working on an independent project in human pathology until the lab closed down due to loss of funding. Have a manuscript in progress on which I will be co-first or second author. PI will be one of my recommenders

Extracurriculars:
- Ballet in high school and beginning of college. I play the banjo. I volunteered for a library for two years in high school. Briefly volunteered for emergency dv shelter and plan to resume volunteering ~3hr/week for dv crisis line.

Employment:
-
Peer educator for my university's sexual violence prevention office (700 hours)
-
College library (380 hours)
-
Pizza job (960 hours)

I am from Utah so I will have no IS option unless USU becomes AVMA accredited and accepts a fall 2025 class (this is their plan but it seems tentative). Prioritizing applying to schools with the option to change residency after first year. Full list of programs I am considering but would love advice on this list:
WSU, NSCU, tOSU, TAMU, Mizzou, Edinburgh, CSU, UIUC, MSU, Oregon.

I think the most unique thing about me as an applicant is my background in pathology. I have wanted to be a pathologist since high school and although I have loved each of my veterinary experiences, especially in the shelter, I know that even as a veterinarian the lab is where I want to be. My research experience is in human path, and I'm hoping to get that vet path shadowing in before submitting the app to tie it all together. Another passion of mine is advocacy, especially for dv/assault survivors. Getting to advocate for issues I care about in the animal world (animal welfare, conservation, etc.) has been the most rewarding part of each of my experiences and is a major motivator for me becoming a veterinarian.

To summarize my plans for the next six months and beyond: Focus on path shadowing since this is the area I want to go into, also do a bit of large animal or equine shadowing if I can find a clinic that will allow it. Volunteer on crisis line in evenings.

I am also between jobs at the moment and have a few options on the table. I would love advice on which of these to choose!!
- Clinical (human) pathology lab: attracted to it because I can choose my schedule and it pays well. Even though it is not animal-focused I think I would have more time for the activities I listed above if I go with this one
- Pathology (again human) research: a major component of this is mouse work, which I love. I do already have a lot of research hours so idk if this would be the best direction. I do feel like research is a strength of my application though and this feels like a natural continuation of my prior work
- wait for a different opportunity. I am under consideration for a zoo vet tech position (exciting!) but it is extremely competitive and I will not hear back for several weeks. If I don't take either of the jobs above I would want to wait for another animal-focused opportunity to come up.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a solid foundation already in place. I don't think you could go wrong with anything you decide to focus on.

If anything, would be nice to see some people volunteering hours.