WAMC Denied 2023-2024, What Went Wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalReapplicant99

Reaction score
Date of submission: August 3rd (2023-2024 Cycle)
Overall GPA: 3.77
Science GPA: 3.70

Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.55 (Biochem included)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA:20; Bio:19; Gen Chem: 23; Organic Chem: 17; RC: 22; QR: 17; PAT: 21; TS:19

State of Residence: Georgia

Undergrad Attended:
Georgia State University
Major: Biology
Minor: None
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? Will be for 2024-2025
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
226 Hours in Person/30 Hours Virtual

Volunteering Experience: Hospital Volunteer: 48 Hours; Community Band: 58 hours; Community Orchestra: 18 hours

Employment: 1000 Hours as a Laboratory Chemist at a manufacturing plant

Research: Molecular Parasitology Research: 136 hours

Other Extracurriculars: University Marching Band: 960 hours; University Basketball Band: 432 hours; University Fencing Club: 54 hours

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No

Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List for 4 semesters; President’s List for 4 semesters; graduated Magna Cum Laude

LOR type and strength: 2023-2024:
Parasitology lab professor: Strong
Marching band director: Strong
Dentist: Unsure
Oral Surgeon: Unsure

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Over the COVID19 pandemic when classes swapped to virtual I failed Organic Chemistry I and II but retook both and passed.
School list:
2023-2024 Cycle

Dental College of Georgia: Interviewed but Denied
University of Florida: No Interview
Meharry: No Interview
UAB: No Interview and denied
(This next cycle I plan on adding more schools)

I hope I can get advice on what to do this next cycle and what may have stopped me from being a good candidate. I plan on retaking the DAT before submitting my next application.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: August 3rd (2023-2024 Cycle)
Overall GPA: 3.77
Science GPA: 3.70

Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.55 (Biochem included)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA:20; Bio:19; Gen Chem: 23; Organic Chem: 17; RC: 22; QR: 17; PAT: 21; TS:19

State of Residence: Georgia

Undergrad Attended:
Georgia State University
Major: Biology
Minor: None
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? Will be for 2024-2025
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
226 Hours in Person/30 Hours Virtual

Volunteering Experience: Hospital Volunteer: 48 Hours; Community Band: 58 hours; Community Orchestra: 18 hours

Employment: 1000 Hours as a Laboratory Chemist at a manufacturing plant

Research: Molecular Parasitology Research: 136 hours

Other Extracurriculars: University Marching Band: 960 hours; University Basketball Band: 432 hours; University Fencing Club: 54 hours

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No

Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List for 4 semesters; President’s List for 4 semesters; graduated Magna Cum Laude

LOR type and strength: 2023-2024:
Parasitology lab professor: Strong
Marching band director: Strong
Dentist: Unsure
Oral Surgeon: Unsure

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Over the COVID19 pandemic when classes swapped to virtual I failed Organic Chemistry I and II but retook both and passed.
School list:
2023-2024 Cycle

Dental College of Georgia: Interviewed but Denied
University of Florida: No Interview
Meharry: No Interview
UAB: No Interview and denied
(This next cycle I plan on adding more schools)

I hope I can get advice on what to do this next cycle and what may have stopped me from being a good candidate. I plan on retaking the DAT before submitting my next application.

Thank you.
it was your school list
WAY too short for your DAT scores
meharry is an hbcu
UF takes very few OOS
not sure about UAB

Reactions: 2 users
it was your school list
WAY too short for your DAT scores
meharry is an hbcu
UF takes very few OOS
not sure about UAB
Thank you, I found out Meharry was an HBCU after applying because they have so little information on their dental school page.
Do you think improving my DAT scores will increase my chances? Along with applying to more schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I found out Meharry was an HBCU after applying because they have so little information on their dental school page.
Do you think improving my DAT scores will increase my chances? Along with applying to more schools?
higher DAT will help, yes
and it's not only about more schools, it's about having an overall better list...

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t necessarily think you need a DAT retake, but you do need to apply to way more schools and do a little more research into them.
Georgia, LECOM, Nova, UTHSC, Louisville, And then maybe pick some east coast schools

Some more volunteer hours could also help you out.

Reactions: 1 users
But for schools like DCG where I was interviewed and not even put on a wait list, what could have been the reason? Next cycle I do plan on adding more schools, but with all but one being out of state schools are my chances slim?

The in-state rejection is the most interesting. You got an interview with your DAT scores at your IS school and still got the R.

You only have 1 science LOR listed. Check letter requirements.

More community service hours where you are helping people in distress and not performing. I see none or very low number of hours.

When did you graduate since you seem to be in a job as a lab chemist now?

The in-state rejection is the most interesting. You got an interview with your DAT scores at your IS school and still got the R.

You only have 1 science LOR listed. Check letter requirements.

More community service hours where you are helping people in distress and not performing.

When did you graduate since you seem to be in a job as a lab chemist now?
Yes I'm very confused on why I was rejected, and I felt my interview went very well.
DCG requires only one LOR from a science professional. I would have more but after graduating I'm unsure how to get LORs from teachers where it's been a while since they've seen me.
Yes I agree with what you're saying about community service.

I graduated December 2022 and got the job as a chemist in March this year.

Obviously the interview didn't go as well as expected. What do you remember about it?
I felt confident during the interview with both professors, I didn't stumble with my responses, I made a connection with one of the professors who I interviewed with and I stood out during the portion in which we were grouped together.
I don't see anything in the interview that would have ruined my chances.

I felt confident during the interview with both professors, I didn't stumble with my responses, I made a connection with one of the professors who I interviewed with and I stood out during the portion in which we were grouped together.
I don't see anything in the interview that would have ruined my chances.
Were there any other meet-and-greets that you attended?

Understand that final file review often involves a complete read-through of the entire application and evaluations (solicited and from interviewers). I point out a few things that stuck out to me above. I don't know if Augusta/DCG provides feedback at the end of the cycle (March to May), but see if they can.

Were there any other meet-and-greets that you attended?

Understand that final file review often involves a complete read-through of the entire application and evaluations (solicited and from interviewers). I point out a few things that stuck out to me above. I don't know if Augusta/DCG provides feedback at the end of the cycle (March to May), but see if they can.
I did not attend any other meet and greets, I wasn't made aware of any events like this after I had my interview.
Yes DCG does have a consultation like this and I have already emailed to see when I can have this meeting.
Aside from this do you think my DAT scores should be improved to be a stronger candidate?

I did not attend any other meet and greets, I wasn't made aware of any events like this after I had my interview.
Yes DCG does have a consultation like this and I have already emailed to see when I can have this meeting.
Aside from this do you think my DAT scores should be improved to be a stronger candidate?
it's not up to them to make you aware of events...

Only if DCG specifically tells you to. I still think it's the lack of strong community service.
at the risk of disagreeing with mr smiles, i think that improved DAT scores will help with OOS schools, especially publics...