VCOM Spartanburg, SC Discussion Thread 2010-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So my VCOM interview is this Tuesday, anybody have any tips or hints? A part of my is starting to freak out a little with it being my first interview :)

Just relax! It's really a fun, lax environment. Let us know how it goes for ya!

tips: don't freak out - it's a very relaxed interview day

hints: be yourself - and be able to articulate your strengths well b/c you can definitely direct the interview (only about 30 mins, so know what you want to highlight about yourself and why you want to go t/here)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a VCOM - CC c/o 2015 forum on this bad boy? I'm new to SDN. I sent in my deposit this past week for my seat in the class. Can hardly wait to start!

Will be interviewing Dec 1st!!! Someone said the comfort inn was nice? Received email on Wed that my application was complete and Fri morning had a call for the interview. Very nice, and quick turn around, even more impressed everyday. Good luck to everyone...

Will be interviewing Dec 1st!!! Someone said the comfort inn was nice? Received email on Wed that my application was complete and Fri morning had a call for the interview. Very nice, and quick turn around, even more impressed everyday. Good luck to everyone...

Comfort Suites was ballin!

I got accepted this evening! Mattie called me at 6pm. I interviewed yesterday and she specifically said that even though they were meeting today she would not call anyone today. I love interviewing right before admissions people meet.

Though it would have been great to see the completed building, it looks like a lot of though is going into its features.

All three of my one on one interviews went really well. It was very relaxed with some targeted questions occasionally- we were never without something to talk about. Having the backing of VCOM in virgina does dispel some of my fears, but a new school is going to have some road bumps ( hopefully minimal).

I am definitely very interested. Happy to answer any specific questions anybody has.

Accepted here today as well, loved the place when I was there and how great are the admissions staff. They made me feel right at home and I could really see myself spending the next 4 years there. I am currently torn between two schools and now have to make one of the biggest decisions of my life, Ahhhh the stress never ends. Anyways good luck to everyone I know you will love the place just like I did!!!! :thumbup:

Congrats! What other school are you looking at?

I interviewed at VCOM-CC yesterday and got accepted! Everyone was so nice and friendly! It was the most relaxed interview I have had so far. The new building looks like it is going to be beautiful and it seems like it will be a great school.

Members don't see this ad :)
is anyone looking for a place to live in spartanburg? Im looking for a place and probably gonna need a roommate...

Thanks for the input on the interview everyone. It was exactly as described and there is truly no reason at all to be nervous. The admissions staff is amazing and are some of the kindest people you will ever meet. Mattie is amazing and the school is so lucky to have her. Any anxiety or nervousness you have will be completely gone within a couple minutes of being there, I promise. Just go in, know what your talking about and why you really want to be there. The school is really coming along and I was impressed with Spartanburg and therefore could really see myself living there some day. The area where the school was built did not seem bad at all. I have seen and been around much worse. It is going to be gated and a guard will be at the gate 24 hours a day so you really should have nothing to worry about. Here's to hoping I hear good news eventually. Good luck to everyone!!! :thumbup:

I also did the interview on that same day.

which one were you?

Congrats to everyone who was accepted! I have an interview here on 12/13 and I was just wondering if anyone had tips on how to prepare? This is the first interview I have which is broken up into 3 separate interviews. Was each person a doctor/faculty member? Also, were there just typical questions such as why VCOM, why DO? etc or more specific questions out of your own application? Sounds like this is a great school and I hope I get accepted here...just nervous for the interview!!

Does anybody know when the last round of interviews will be conducted for the month of December?

Thanks

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted to VCOM-CC this year! I also wanted to say hello to everyone that I met during the Sept. 16th interview session as well. I'm looking forward to learning from all of you. It's a novel situation to be in the inaugural class at a medical school. I think we will have opportunities at VCOM-CC that no other students will have. See you in August!

Congrats to everyone who was accepted! I have an interview here on 12/13 and I was just wondering if anyone had tips on how to prepare? This is the first interview I have which is broken up into 3 separate interviews. Was each person a doctor/faculty member? Also, were there just typical questions such as why VCOM, why DO? etc or more specific questions out of your own application? Sounds like this is a great school and I hope I get accepted here...just nervous for the interview!!

As far as interviewers, there were faculty DOs and other non-physician faculty as well. I personally had two physicians and a faculty member from student services.

For interview tips, I have to say just be yourself. Know your application inside and out, because they will know your application inside and out. Each interviewer had a copy of my application with them. I made a copy of my app and read it over and over before I went to interview. I'm cetainly glad I did. I was asked "Why VCOM?" and "Why DO?" as well. Definitely know that. Be able to expound on your strengths and explain your weaknesses on your application.
As you may have read in the other posts, the interviewers in Spartanburg are extremely nice and hospitable. Remember, they already know about your grades and academic prowess. They want to meet the real you and see your personality in action. Just remember to take a breath, relax, and show them your best!

I recently sent in my deposit to hold my seat in the class! I've really enjoyed watching the new campus go up via webcam, and I'm looking forward to seeing it in person - as well as meeting you all (y'all, I should get used to saying) - at the Accepted Students Day in March.

On another note, is anyone else interested in a combined degree program (i.e. DO/MPH), and have you found out any more information about it/them other than what the CIB (College Info Book) states? I tried asking about it on my interview day and didn't get much in the way of a solid response. I would imagine that the process would be similar, if not identical, to the VCOM-VA campus, and if it's the MPH you'd probably just take a 1-year leave of abscence to pursue the degree (at John Hopkins or elsewhere). Thanks for your input, if you're researched this issue.

Last edited:
I'm stoked! I have an interview on January 17th. Anyone else interviewing that day? Does anyone know a percentage on people who interview v.s. people who are accepted?

the admissions meeting is today...they said if it goes quick they might be able to make calls today/tonight, otherwise it would be tomorrow...:xf:

the admissions meeting is today...they said if it goes quick they might be able to make calls today/tonight, otherwise it would be tomorrow...:xf:
all the best.
They are eually excited to call once they make a decision.
Great staff.

I really enjoyed meeting everyone. It's been a long week waiting, really don't want to wait another night!

I really enjoyed meeting everyone. It's been a long week waiting, really don't want to wait another night!
I understand. and gues what they call in the evening too.

Congrats CandyCane and Cubs!

Are ya'll definitely accepting your acceptances?

I'm psyched!

i have an interview at kcumb in january, so it's gonna be between those two (if i get in)

well, I loved VCOM but I hear back from KCUMB on friday (i interviewed two weeks ago) and I have been accepted to RVUCOM already.

I also have upcoming interviews at SIU med, DMU, and ATSU-KCOM. Soooo yeah. decisions, decisions! :)

Hey guys! Just received my interview invite this morning from Mattie, what a sweet lady! I'm scheduled for January 18th, she said the admissions committee would be meeting the next day so I would know within 24 hours. But, I am super nervous. This is my second year of applying to medical school and last year I was waitlisted. I just really don't want the same thing to happen again this year. Any advice on the interview? I'm kinda freaking out...HELP! :scared: And congrats to all those accepted!

It's pretty relaxed, and they really just wanna get to know you as a person. Be able to articulate yourself well; keep in mind that it is a new school and they may be looking for candidates that will be able to adjust to such an environment, take leadership, etc.

Good luck though!

It's pretty relaxed, and they really just wanna get to know you as a person. Be able to articulate yourself well; keep in mind that it is a new school and they may be looking for candidates that will be able to adjust to such an environment, take leadership, etc.

Good luck though!

Thank you very much for your input. :) I really appreciate your time!

How long did it take to recieve an interview invite after getting the complete email?

If you still are waiting for an interview invite, your best bet is to try to get in touch with Mattie Bendall. As others have said, she is super nice and willing to serve applicants. I was complete in August but she wanted to see my first trimester grades from November before I received an invite. Does anyone have any thoughts on things to see when I visit Spartansburg in Jan? Im looking forward to the SC weather and chance to see the school in the construction process.

If you still are waiting for an interview invite, your best bet is to try to get in touch with Mattie Bendall. As others have said, she is super nice and willing to serve applicants. I was complete in August but she wanted to see my first trimester grades from November before I received an invite. Does anyone have any thoughts on things to see when I visit Spartansburg in Jan? Im looking forward to the SC weather and chance to see the school in the construction process.

Not sure if this is of interest to you, but the only US BMW factory is in spartanburg. I visited when I was there for my interview and it was awesome, but then again they are my favorite cars. You can get a tour throuh the whole thing.

getting pumped about my interview on Jan 18th... anyone else interviewing that day?

getting pumped about my interview on Jan 18th... anyone else interviewing that day?

Ill be interviewing the 17th. Im getting really stoked. Are you in town for the weekend?

Does anyone know the percent of people who are accepted after they interview?

Ill be interviewing the 17th. Im getting really stoked. Are you in town for the weekend?

I don't know if there are any numbers since this is the first year. Maybe they will have similar stats as the Virginia Campus. I think you'll have a pretty good shot at acceptance if you don't perform poorly in the interview, there haven't been too many interviews thus far and they have small numbers for each interview so there have to be plenty of spots left in the class.

Its a very relaxed and fun interview, Good Luck!

Hi all,
I initially submitted all of my secondary app. materials in early sept. but never got any confirmation (even after several calls and emails,) I figured I was either being placed on hold or a silent rejection. But around 2 weeks ago I recieved a call from Megan in admissions asking me to submit the secondary application. I explained to her that I already had but never heard anything, she then informed me that they did not recieve anything and to submit it again asap. Is there any significance to this?, or am I just wasting my time and money? I have one acceptance already but VCOM-CC is where I really want to be. Thanks

Hi all,
I initially submitted all of my secondary app. materials in early sept. but never got any confirmation (even after several calls and emails,) I figured I was either being placed on hold or a silent rejection. But around 2 weeks ago I recieved a call from Megan in admissions asking me to submit the secondary application. I explained to her that I already had but never heard anything, she then informed me that they did not recieve anything and to submit it again asap. Is there any significance to this?, or am I just wasting my time and money? I have one acceptance already but VCOM-CC is where I really want to be. Thanks

If it's where you really want to be, I would just resend the application since it's just an email. Also, if your email keeps sent emails, check for your initial email and let them know the time/date etc. Since it is an email I can imagine it may get lost or mixed up...seemed like a goofy way to submit an app. Your best bet is to talk to Mattie, she's great.

Edit: Also in terms of money, you sent a check right?? If they cashed it, that's kind of proof that they received something, and you can def. talk to your bank to receive that info.

Hey Nate4140! I won't be in town for the weekend but I am staying at the Comfort Suites and will be getting there early afternoon January 17th. Where are you staying?

I've got a question that someone might be able to answer. Has anyone heard if there will be a lecture recording o/ scribe service for next year? I know a few schools have similar study tools which are really helpful. I guess they would probably bring this to Spartanburg if this happens to be a service they offer at VCOM-VC. Thanks

I'm scheduled for an interview this Monday (Jan. 10th)! Very excited, with just a little bit of nervousness. Now to really hit hard on the application studying! Anyone else scheduled for Monday? or am I by myself.. haha! Hopefully in a week or so I can join all of you who have already been given acceptances!

I've got a question that someone might be able to answer. Has anyone heard if there will be a lecture recording o/ scribe service for next year? I know a few schools have similar study tools which are really helpful. I guess they would probably bring this to Spartanburg if this happens to be a service they offer at VCOM-VC. Thanks

http://vcomdo.com

Thanks Trauma, looks like just what I was searching for.

If it's where you really want to be, I would just resend the application since it's just an email. Also, if your email keeps sent emails, check for your initial email and let them know the time/date etc. Since it is an email I can imagine it may get lost or mixed up...seemed like a goofy way to submit an app. Your best bet is to talk to Mattie, she's great.

Edit: Also in terms of money, you sent a check right?? If they cashed it, that's kind of proof that they received something, and you can def. talk to your bank to receive that info.

Ya I re-submitted my app. shortly after the phone call because I really want this school, I agree it was an unusual situation. I am hoping I get an interview here soon, any idea on how full the class is?