VCOM Spartanburg, SC Discussion Thread 2010-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed today - personally the best interview experience I ever had. Maddie and the staff are awesome. Completely stress-free interviews. Here is some info for those who do not know: VCOM-CC interviews between 4 and 8 twice per week (Mon and Wed) with an average of 6 (there were 6 of us today). So far they have accepted with deposit ~125-128 so there are still spots remaining. Also, the actual class size will be as few as 150 or at most 162. Next round of decisions go out on Wednesday, March 23 after the committee meeting. Good luck to everyone! :thumbup:

P.S. - If you haven't read "The Do's" by Norman Gevitz then you are doing yourself a disservice. I was asked about what book I had read last and they spent a lot of time talking about this topic. This is a MUST READ!

HEY i interviewed on the 14th also! did you get accepted? i was the only kid in the room from pennsylvania...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, does anyone know if it is "easier" to get into the Carolinas campus than the Blacksburg campus?

Is anyone on the waiting list for 2015 class? Does any one know how the waiting list is moving?

Members don't see this ad :)
SG3, if you are from Carolinas then you have advantage.

Hey, does anyone know if it is "easier" to get into the Carolinas campus than the Blacksburg campus?

It seems like it easier to get into the South Carolina school compared to the Blacksburg campus. SC still have open slots compared to Blacksburg's 100 people waitlist that won't show any movement til mid-May. I wish I knew about this before I picked my campus option.

HEY i interviewed on the 14th also! did you get accepted? i was the only kid in the room from pennsylvania...

Yep, I did. I think I remember you. You were interested in plastic surgery if I remember right? Where are you headed?

did you interview at vcom also? What state are you from? (Okla?)

Yea I interviewed at VCOM-Blacksburg and I'm a michigan resident. I'm currently on the VCOM waitlist though, and just got an email asking me if I want to be considered for a spot at VCOM-CC....Never visited Spartanburg, so I don't know what I should do.

so i went to spartanburg to look at the area. the school is located in a very bad section of town! i then looked up the stats on crime in spartanburg and it is much, much higher than the national average. so i guess i have to factor safety into choosing between the VA or SC campus as well. i do hope that they fence in the school so that when students leave at night, they will be a little safer walking to their cars!

I live pretty close to Spartanburg, and I have to say that I'm quite surprised the school was built on Howard Street. It's notorious for shootings, prostitution, drugs, and other sorts of issues. Here's an article about how dangerous the area is: http://www2.wspa.com/news/2010/mar/01/9/dangerous-streets-ar-47966/

Yea I interviewed at VCOM-Blacksburg and I'm a michigan resident. I'm currently on the VCOM waitlist though, and just got an email asking me if I want to be considered for a spot at VCOM-CC....Never visited Spartanburg, so I don't know what I should do.

Someone posted this link on the second page of this thread. I've been there before also, and it's not a great neighborhood. The Virginia campus is in a much better neighborhood.

I will be freeing up my seat for the 2015 class. Good luck to all the future VCOM-CCers!

Someone posted this link on the second page of this thread. I've been there before also, and it's not a great neighborhood. The Virginia campus is in a much better neighborhood.

thanks for the in-sight JJdo.....I'm going to take this in consideration because I wish I had visited the campus to get the real feel on the area but I stay in Michigan and south carolina is not around the corner lol

Hey all, just wanted to let you know that safety has been taken into utmost consideration at the Carolinas campus. The school knows that the surrounding area hasn't always been the nicest. So the campus will be completely surrounded by a fence, each student will be issued a pass card that will allow them to get through the gate. The campus will be essentially closed unless previously authorized to be there. Wofford Campus security will also be controlling the premises as well as multiple CCTV cameras. Also a note of interest, since the building of the Carolinas Campus has started the surrounding property values have increased significantly and more investors are looking to develop the area. The City of Spartanburg is also working on improving the sidewalks in that area to make it more welcoming and well-lit at night.
Rest assured, I think everyone will be secure at the Carolinas campus, VCOM seems to do everything all the way!

Hopes this eases some troubled minds!

I just got in!!! Does anyone happen to know anything about housing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Did you interview @ Blacksburg or Spartanburg? When was your interview?

I interviewed at Blacksburg and was notified last week they were transferring me to Spartanburg. Either way I love the school and I am very excited. I have never visited the Spartanburg campus and look forward to seeing it.

I interviewed at Blacksburg and was notified last week they were transferring me to Spartanburg. Either way I love the school and I am very excited. I have never visited the Spartanburg campus and look forward to seeing it.

Congrats!!! Did they send you an email asking you to choose if you wanted to be considered for only the blacksburg campus or both campuses? Or did they just offer you a spot at VCOM-CC?

Does anyone know if the waiting list is moving for the CC campus?

Does anyone know if the waiting list is moving for the CC campus?

From what I am hearing from recently accepted people is that there seems to be maybe one "wait list" that contains all applicants (Virginia and Carolina) and they are pulling off that list. One person was recently accepted into our class at the Spartanburg campus even though she applied and interviewed at the Blacksburg campus.

I think at the moment all "offers" are out and pending decision by applicants. At this point I believe they only have 1-2 weeks to send in a deposit and commitment form. They will probably have an actual "wait list" and send out rejections to those who did not make it in a few weeks. I know there are about 120 of us on the accepted students facebook group for the Carolina's campus and probably everyone has not made it onto the group. Good luck.

Anyone heard if the waitlist is moving? I interviewed on 4/17 for a waitlist position and was placed on the waitlist the next day. Haven't heard anything since. Just wondering if anyone else has received any notification.

........Still waiting. Let us know if you hear from them.

I just received an email this morning and the waitlist is moving now. I'm on the "top tier" list and if I don't get off the waitlist for this August I will be automatically accepted for the 2016 class. Has anyone else received this email?

I just received an email this morning and the waitlist is moving now. I'm on the "top tier" list and if I don't get off the waitlist for this August I will be automatically accepted for the 2016 class. Has anyone else received this email?

Congrats!! Would you mind sharing what your stats are?

So you can choose either campus if you like? Nice.

From my understandings, if I get accepted this year for 2015 class I would not have a choice on which campus I can go to because I would be offered the next available spot for either campus. For the 2016 class, I would have the choice of which campus I want to attend. I would definitely choose Blacksburg if that senario happens lol

I like to keep my MCAT private for anonymousy. Other stats are a 3.5 Gpa in dual degrees in medical physics/biochemistry and Phd in nuclear physics with 3.9 Gpa.

From my understandings, if I get accepted this year for 2015 class I would not have a choice on which campus I can go to because I would be offered the next available spot for either campus. For the 2016 class, I would have the choice of which campus I want to attend. I would definitely choose Blacksburg if that senario happens lol

I like to keep my MCAT private for anonymousy. Other stats are a 3.5 Gpa in dual degrees in medical physics/biochemistry and Phd in nuclear physics with 3.9 Gpa.

Player of the game.

Just to fill those of you wait-listed in:

There has been very little movement. We have only added 2-3 students to our group at VCOM-CC in the last month or so.

Best of luck.

Just to fill those of you wait-listed in:

There has been very little movement. We have only added 2-3 students to our group at VCOM-CC in the last month or so.

Best of luck.

Spoke to Maddie this morning and she basically said the same thing. She said there had not been as much movement as expected. She said the admissions committee was meeting early next week to some jumbling on the wait list as there had been a few changes and said to expect an update by the end of next week.

Although I might not be much help, I'm just getting started at the FM residency in Spartanburg.

So far, my experience can be summed up in one word: Awesome. The campus is MUCH safer than this thread lead me to believe, and the housing options have been nothing short of outstanding.

Let me know if I can be of any help, even though I'm an MD. I'm sure I'll have at least some interaction with the 3rd/4th years.

Best,

I've been reading through this thread and congratulations to everyone who is about to start!

I know that this is last years application cycle and you guys are probably very busy but VCOM is my #1 choice and I was hoping for some input. Please tell me honestly (but gently, I'm still reeling from my MCAT) how I should be thinking about my chances at VCOM (and any osteopathic school in general). Also I have less than 2 weeks to study for and retake the MCAT (Sep 1st). Not sure if it's worth it.
I just hope someone can tell me something good because I'm beating on myself pretty hard.
Thank you very much to all you guys. This site is a great resource.
Sorry for the melodrama.

Stats: cGPA 3.78, sGPA 3.98....................MCAT 25R

Main EC's:
-Hundreds of clinical volunteer hours in USA, Israel and S. Korea.
-Fulbright Fellowship
-time in free clinics, homeless shelters, rural medical work (Bedouin and Russian immigrants mainly)
-EMT volunteer in Israel
- shadowing with 1 DO and 2 MD's
- Therapy dog handler
- Mom lives in Hendersonville NC, lived there a lot and will reside in Appalacia but resident of FL currently.

I've been reading through this thread and congratulations to everyone who is about to start!

I know that this is last years application cycle and you guys are probably very busy but VCOM is my #1 choice and I was hoping for some input. Please tell me honestly (but gently, I'm still reeling from my MCAT) how I should be thinking about my chances at VCOM (and any osteopathic school in general). Also I have less than 2 weeks to study for and retake the MCAT (Sep 1st). Not sure if it's worth it.
I just hope someone can tell me something good because I'm beating on myself pretty hard.
Thank you very much to all you guys. This site is a great resource.
Sorry for the melodrama.

Stats: cGPA 3.78, sGPA 3.98....................MCAT 25R

Main EC's:
-Hundreds of clinical volunteer hours in USA, Israel and S. Korea.
-Fulbright Fellowship
-time in free clinics, homeless shelters, rural medical work (Bedouin and Russian immigrants mainly)
-EMT volunteer in Israel
- shadowing with 1 DO and 2 MD's
- Therapy dog handler
- Mom lives in Hendersonville NC, lived there a lot and will reside in Appalacia but resident of FL currently.

I would say you stand a good chance. If you get an interview, then you stand a very good chance. I am actually going to be unsubscribing from this thread today (I think everyone else already has). Post in the future in the VCOM (Carolinas) 2011-2012 thread.

Good Luck!