VA HPSP (Physician)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another question for anyone who has already gotten through the entire process. What was the timeline in terms of the VA receiving an invoice for your tuition and them paying it? My school applied unsubsidized loans toward my tuition and isn't releasing them for my cost of living until the VA pays the tuition invoice instead

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I was recently accepted to medical school (start summer 2023) and am wanting to apply for the VA HPSP. Regarding letters of recommendation, did folks have letter writers draft new letters tailored to the scholarship application or use letters that were provided for medical school application?

Hi! I was recently accepted to medical school (start summer 2023) and am wanting to apply for the VA HPSP. Regarding letters of recommendation, did folks have letter writers draft new letters tailored to the scholarship application or use letters that were provided for medical school application?
The letters are just a form that is sent to them from the VA application website. They'll fill it out like a survey with comments

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Has anyone received their September stipend yet? I just got my account verified and was wondering when I could expect payment.

Hey! Has anyone received their September stipend yet? I just got my account verified and was wondering when I could expect payment.
I just received mine today but I think it's supposed to post on the 15th? My account has been vendorized since mid-late August, however

Hello everyone, I've very interested in the VA HPSP. I was an HPSP scholar for a different program and am a current VA employee. I'm also a vet. Obviously, it was a different program, but when I applied for the HPSP scholarship, they gave significant preference to individuals already in school or those with lower tuition. Did anyone here get a four-year MD/DO VA HPSP scholarship to a private school? I'm very lucky to have 10 interview invites so far, but some schools are private with average tuition around 50-65K per year. Because of the Texas match, I will not hear back from state schools until March 2023. Should I apply early if I get accepted to a private school or wait to see what the match results are to try to apply with low tuition? Obviously, there is no guarantee that I will be accepted to an in-state school. Congrats to everyone that was accepted!

Hello everyone, I've very interested in the VA HPSP. I was an HPSP scholar for a different program and am a current VA employee. I'm also a vet. Obviously, it was a different program, but when I applied for the HPSP scholarship, they gave significant preference to individuals already in school or those with lower tuition. Did anyone here get a four-year MD/DO VA HPSP scholarship to a private school? I'm very lucky to have 10 interview invites so far, but some schools are private with average tuition around 50-65K per year. Because of the Texas match, I will not hear back from state schools until March 2023. Should I apply early if I get accepted to a private school or wait to see what the match results are to try to apply with low tuition? Obviously, there is no guarantee that I will be accepted to an in-state school. Congrats to everyone that was accepted!
Im curious about this as well. I interviewed with two programs where there is a chance I would get a full COA scholarship but it's not guaranteed. If one were to get accepted to the VA HPSP then get a full COA scholarship from a school can you decline the VA HPSP?

So this HPSP scholarship program takes into account how much it'll cost to fund a student when they apply, but don't let that stop you from applying! I did get accepted for the scholarship for all 4 years for at Tulane (an expensive private school) but ultimate ended u going to a cheaper state school. But they didn't know I was accepted into my state school until after they selected me having applied to Tulane, so it does happen!
Im curious about this as well. I interviewed with two programs where there is a chance I would get a full COA scholarship but it's not guaranteed. If one were to get accepted to the VA HPSP then get a full COA scholarship from a school can you decline the VA HPSP?
From my understanding, you can deny the HPSP if you receive a full scholarship from your school. I think you have 15 days from announcement to accept or deny but don't quote me on that.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
So this HPSP scholarship program takes into account how much it'll cost to fund a student when they apply, but don't let that stop you from applying! I did get accepted for the scholarship for all 4 years for at Tulane (an expensive private school) but ultimate ended u going to a cheaper state school. But they didn't know I was accepted into my state school until after they selected me having applied to Tulane, so it does happen!

From my understanding, you can deny the HPSP if you receive a full scholarship from your school. I think you have 15 days from announcement to accept or deny but don't quote me on that.
Appreciate the response very much. The VA website about the HPSP scholarship says it is "open year-round," does that mean we can apply at any time? For some reason, I thought there would be an opening date for Summer/Fall 2023, but this is not indicated on the website.

Appreciate the response very much. The VA website about the HPSP scholarship says it is "open year-round," does that mean we can apply at any time? For some reason, I thought there would be an opening date for Summer/Fall 2023, but this is not indicated on the website.

Yes, you can apply at any time.

Something they started new recently was convert the application to all online + year-round application review(s). Although there is no deadline, HPSP does only have X number of slots available every year based on funding and what is allowed for them, so there is definitely a "first-come-first-serve" approach for every academic cycle.

Yes, you can apply at any time.

Something they started new recently was convert the application to all online + year-round application review(s). Although there is no deadline, HPSP does only have X number of slots available every year based on funding and what is allowed for them, so there is definitely a "first-come-first-serve" approach for every academic cycle.
Is there an "ideal" time to apply? Hopefully will be starting medical school in Fall 2023.

Is there an "ideal" time to apply? Hopefully will be starting medical school in Fall 2023.
The best time to apply is the moment you have your acceptance letter in hand. When you apply online, you choose a designated time period you wish to start implementing your scholarship.

They won’t say how many slots are available at the time you apply (that said, I cold-called them and was given a response) but if for some reason you get wait-listed, you can keep that in the back of your mind (availability/pay-out gets approved from Congress).

Should you get rejected, you have 12 months until you can apply again (which is another good reason to apply early - that way you’ll still be in a good place next year to apply well ahead of the upcoming semester).

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this question has been asked previously, but do you need to have definitely made a firm decision on which school you're going to attend before applying? Or can you input one of the schools you've been accepted to but haven't fully committed to (since it's still really early in the cycle)? Thanks in advance!

Hi, I just got awarded the scholarship this morning! Is there anyone who is doing this that I can PM and ask some questions about the requirements of the scholarship?

Sorry if this question has been asked previously, but do you need to have definitely made a firm decision on which school you're going to attend before applying? Or can you input one of the schools you've been accepted to but haven't fully committed to (since it's still really early in the cycle)? Thanks in advance!
Part of the acceptance process is the program putting into consideration how much coverage they'll need to provide for school. So, essentially, you could decide to inform them later down the road that you have changed programs, but you run the risk of re-evaluating or voiding the contract agreement. Part of the "X" available slots is driven by need + cost. It is not unheard of for applicants to get covered all 4 years from an expensive private program but changing obligations from one school to the next may not be in your best interest.

Until you know definitively where you will be attending school, I'd be safe and wait.

Reactions: 1 user
Part of the acceptance process is the program putting into consideration how much coverage they'll need to provide for school. So, essentially, you could decide to inform them later down the road that you have changed programs, but you run the risk of re-evaluating or voiding the contract agreement. Part of the "X" available slots is driven by need + cost. It is not unheard of for applicants to get covered all 4 years from an expensive private program but changing obligations from one school to the next may not be in your best interest.

Until you know definitively where you will be attending school, I'd be safe and wait.
Thank you very much for this great advice!

Hello, can anyone who's been accepted post their stats? Super interested in this program but idk if I have the juice so I'd like to temper my expectations.

Hello, can anyone who's been accepted post their stats? Super interested in this program but idk if I have the juice so I'd like to temper my expectations.
FWIW I don’t think they care too much about stats. I just got accepted with a 3.6 gpa and 511 MCAT. Non trad student with no prior military service.

FWIW I don’t think they care too much about stats. I just got accepted with a 3.6 gpa and 511 MCAT. Non trad student with no prior military service.
hey! I am seriously considering the VA hpsp. can I message you to chat about it?

For anyone who's been accepted and changed schools, after I accept the official offer letter I can still change schools if I get another acceptance? I'm not bound to that specific school?

For anyone who's been accepted and changed schools, after I accept the official offer letter I can still change schools if I get another acceptance? I'm not bound to that specific school?
Hey! I asked and was told that we are able to change schools, but need to gain approval from the program office. It shouldn't be an issue as long as the school you transfer to has appropriate accreditation!

May I also send you a message asking about the application as I see you've been accepted? I'm also interested in applying for Fall '23!

Hey! I asked and was told that we are able to change schools, but need to gain approval from the program office. It shouldn't be an issue as long as the school you transfer to has appropriate accreditation!

May I also send you a message asking about the application as I see you've been accepted? I'm also interested in applying for Fall '23!
Sure feel free to message me

One question about the VA, do they choose what location you practice in etc? I would really love to come back to Chicago to practice. Also I really wanna do neurology but that’s not under their specialities, does that mean I can’t do neurology for the VA?

One question about the VA, do they choose what location you practice in etc? I would really love to come back to Chicago to practice. Also I really wanna do neurology but that’s not under their specialities, does that mean I can’t do neurology for the VA?
You have to sign a mobility agreement so you are not guaranteed any location. You can ask for placement in Chicago but if there is no availability, then you will have to accept a job elsewhere.

What specialty list are you looking at? The VA certainly has neurologists. The only specialty that you cannot choose with the scholarship is pediatrics.

You have to sign a mobility agreement so you are not guaranteed any location. You can ask for placement in Chicago but if there is no availability, then you will have to accept a job elsewhere.

What specialty list are you looking at? The VA certainly has neurologists. The only specialty that you cannot choose with the scholarship is pediatrics.
The school I got accepted to had a list but I think that was there like most needed specialties now that I look deeper! The location thing is what is keeping me from really biting the bullet

The school I got accepted to had a list but I think that was there like most needed specialties now that I look deeper! The location thing is what is keeping me from really biting the bullet
Many VA locations are undermanned. You have a pretty good shot of being at least pretty close to where you want to be, esp if you pick a big specialty with lots of locations available like FM/IM/GS. Your chances go down if you're a super subspecialized surgeon or something they might only need at one of a few giant hospital for example. You can only be "stationed" at locations with open slots for x specialty.

You just have to go in with the mentality that there's a small chance you could end up wherever the opposite of where you want to be is for a couple years. If that's a deal breaker for you, it's not a good fit for your situation imo.

One question about the VA, do they choose what location you practice in etc? I would really love to come back to Chicago to practice.
1) They choose the location
2) You might be required to move multiple times

Good question to ask as some folks may not start considering location possibilities until after starting this program. Still a great benefit, but if it’s not on paper (promised locations), it doesn’t exist.

1) They choose the location
2) You might be required to move multiple times

Good question to ask as some folks may not start considering location possibilities until after starting this program. Still a great benefit, but if it’s not on paper (promised locations), it doesn’t exist.
I did not know about number 2 actually, in that case that truly is a dealbreaker for me, I appreciate your time!

I did not know about number 2 actually, in that case that truly is a dealbreaker for me, I appreciate your time!

It’s not common, but it does occur. It’s good to know all possibilities when going in as the needs of the VA becomes the #1 priority and location placement is just part of the package in exchange for investing in your education.

It’s not common, but it does occur. It’s good to know all possibilities when going in as the needs of the VA becomes the #1 priority and location placement is just part of the package in exchange for investing in your education.
Absolutely and I’m truly glad I asked before I would be able to back out. Although 4-5 years from now is a long time, I do know that my fiancé and I would like to settle down and have a family, and having to move etc would be tough for sure

They do choose but you will be working with a clinical coordinator when I went through the program who advocates for you when you start applying for jobs but like you mentioned you can look ahead and see if your specialty or backup specialties exists at the VA of your choice. With DO/MD it's relatively easier to match vs the other HPSP and I heard worst case scenario even if you dont match they place you as a phsyical intake physician for the occupational health dept within VHA employee health to finish your time or until you match again etc. They do work with you because they dont want to lose out on their investment

As long as you met the HPSP requirement of the other program because there's a box during the application process that makes you check that box; HPSP scholars for AD army air force are unable to apply until fullfill their obligations

Has anyone received their January stipend yet?

Hello! Does anyone know if if payback time is accumulated through a fellowship? For example, if I do internal medicine residency and a 3 year heme-onc fellowship.

Hello! Does anyone know if if payback time is accumulated through a fellowship? For example, if I do internal medicine residency and a 3 year heme-onc fellowship.
Yes it’s accumulated as 6 months for every year of fellowship. So for a 3 year heme-onc fellowship you’d be adding an additional 1.5 years of obligation to the VA.

Yes it’s accumulated as 6 months for every year of fellowship. So for a 3 year heme-onc fellowship you’d be adding an additional 1.5 years of obligation to the VA.
Thank you! Are there any benefits while doing a fellowship if you’ve already committed? Or is it more focused undergraduate med schooling

Does anyone have any information on whether service obligation is extended or not for a LOA?

If not, I’ll share what I learn when I hear back from Scott.

Just got notification that I am on the alternate list. Application was completed in December. Anyone else have their application processed for fall 2023?

If I submitted last week, how likely is it that I would be selected? Does anyone know roughly how many scholarships are still available? I was told that they have some left but do not know how many awards remain?

I submitted March 9, have not seen a status change or anything. However a classmate of mine submitted March 10th and recently got alternate status

I submitted March 9, have not seen a status change or anything. However a classmate of mine submitted March 10th and recently got alternate status
There have been some staffing changes in the office I'm wondering if that has anything to do with you not hearing anything?

There have been some staffing changes in the office I'm wondering if that has anything to do with you not hearing anything?
Do you think I should reach out to them or how quickly is the turnaround time?

Do you think I should reach out to them or how quickly is the turnaround time?
Hi! I submitted around the same time as you, did you end up reaching out? If so, can I send you a message? Thanks!