VA HPSP (Physician)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Fingers crossed everyone get it! It sort of looks like it comes in batches toward the end of each month?? Is that what you think Scott was implying when you spoke with him? Also, nothing I need to do if I'm on the alternate list right?
Hopefully šŸ˜­ And yeah, itā€™s what Scott said in an email that they are wrapping up decisions by end of March

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone on hear gone from "application scored" to an immediate acceptance? I just got an email that I was on the alternate list but it seems that most everyone that has gotten the scholarship was put on the alternate list first. Just trying to figure out how I should take this news/understand my prospects of getting the scholarship. Thanks!
I was also placed on the alternate list before acceptance. I was worried at first, but it seems like it is a common occurrence.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully šŸ˜­ And yeah, itā€™s what Scott said in an email that they are wrapping up decisions by end of March
My school is taking a while to finish their academic review... are you saying that they will not be reviewing after the end of March?

My school is taking a while to finish their academic review... are you saying that they will not be reviewing after the end of March?
Iā€™m not sure, but all I know is that Scott mentioned that they are working on finalizing the scholarships by end of March for the Fall. So I donā€™t know how to interpret that asā€¦maybe theyā€™ll consider people for the following cycle? Can anyone message Scott? :)

What about those of us still waiting for an acceptance?! šŸ„²
Iā€™m not sure, but all I know is that Scott mentioned that they are working on finalizing the scholarships by end of March for the Fall. So I donā€™t know how to interpret that asā€¦maybe theyā€™ll consider people for the following cycle? Can anyone message Scott? :)

So, is the scholarship finished for this year...? I just got my first acceptance today (the reason why I couldn't submit my application until now) and was hoping to get this scholarship. Great letters from former&current physicians in the military + compelling story of why I want the VA scholarship. Would it be too late to apply now?

Scott said that all offers are for Fall of 2022! So we are in the clear!

Reactions: 1 user
Fingers crossed everyone get it! It sort of looks like it comes in batches toward the end of each month?? Is that what you think Scott was implying when you spoke with him? Also, nothing I need to do if I'm on the alternate list right?
I just emailed Scott, he said that they have accepted 75 and put 32 on the alternate list. He said itā€™s possible but unlikely that theyā€™ll offer anymore for fall. He said that theyā€™d be sending out notifications for spring selections in late October.

Thatā€™s a bummer! I have been on the Alternate list for a few months now. I am excited for everyone that has been accepted though- you guys and gals are going to be great physicians!

Members don't see this ad :)
Update: Just received an "application pending" email. I think this is the same as application pending? So grateful and ready for next steps.

For those still waiting on the Alternate list, donā€™t give up on faith. I just received an offer after being on the wait for about 6 weeks now. Keep up the good fight guys!

Reactions: 2 users
For those still waiting on the Alternate list, donā€™t give up on faith. I just received an offer after being on the wait for about 6 weeks now. Keep up the good fight guys!
Same! Stoked for this opportunity. I just got offered after being waitlisted for a week or two! Congrats!

"Your application has been scored by the Selection Committee for your specific occupation and has met all the requirements for selection. Before moving forward, the selection has to be certified by the Selection Committee Chairmen which could take 7-10 days. Once the Selection Committee Chairmen signs of on your tentative selection, you will receive additional requirements through AMS, and the VA Security Office will contact you with requirements to complete a background investigation."

Is this the email yall received? I just got this and a bit confused by the wording. I was placed on the alternate list about 3 weeks ago and this is the first email I have received since

"Your application has been scored by the Selection Committee for your specific occupation and has met all the requirements for selection. Before moving forward, the selection has to be certified by the Selection Committee Chairmen which could take 7-10 days. Once the Selection Committee Chairmen signs of on your tentative selection, you will receive additional requirements through AMS, and the VA Security Office will contact you with requirements to complete a background investigation."

Is this the email yall received? I just got this and a bit confused by the wording. I was placed on the alternate list about 3 weeks ago and this is the first email I have received since
I received this same email and logged into the VA AMS page - it now says Offer Pending. According to recipients from previous years, "Offer Pending" means that you have been awarded the scholarship and are waiting for the Chairmen to sign off. Congrats everyone, this is an amazing opportunity!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I received this same email and logged into the VA AMS page - it now says Offer Pending. According to recipients from previous years, "Offer Pending" means that you have been awarded the scholarship and are waiting for the Chairmen to sign off. Congrats everyone, this is an amazing opportunity!
OH MY GOSH I hope this is true!!! Thank you!!!

super excited about this scholarship. Am I the only one that feels this program is super unknown among the general premed community? Like I feel like this is such a sweet deal and am shocked that there aren't more people applying to this program. Do yall think this is mostly due to the fact its such a new program? In five years when this program is more well-known, do you think it will be much more competitive to get into?

super excited about this scholarship. Am I the only one that feels this program is super unknown among the general premed community? Like I feel like this is such a sweet deal and am shocked that there aren't more people applying to this program. Do yall think this is mostly due to the fact its such a new program? In five years when this program is more well-known, do you think it will be much more competitive to get into?
I really hope this means we get it but I am still going to hold my breath for a bit until confirmed.
I think since it was only introduced <5 years ago and there's not many spots available, people don't know about it!! Super sweet deal!!

Definitely think it is under the radar but might not be as sweet of a deal compared to other scholarship programs... for example the stipend is about $1000 less per month compared to military HPSP and NHSC and our commitment is 6 years compared to just 4 for similar programs with more spots. VA as a system is highly variable and has its own stereotypes which might not be appealing to the average pre med. The cost benefit also changes depending on specialty interests. That being said, as a M1 with the goal of providing rural primary care, I couldn't be more thankful to be part of this program and work with veterans for a significant part of my career!

Definitely think it is under the radar but might not be as sweet of a deal compared to other scholarship programs... for example the stipend is about $1000 less per month compared to military HPSP and NHSC and our commitment is 6 years compared to just 4 for similar programs with more spots. VA as a system is highly variable and has its own stereotypes which might not be appealing to the average pre med. The cost benefit also changes depending on specialty interests. That being said, as a M1 with the goal of providing rural primary care, I couldn't be more thankful to be part of this program and work with veterans for a significant part of my career!
I definitely see where you are coming from as far as the longer commitment and the lower stipend, but it still seems pretty great to me since I have the ability to choose my own residency/complete a civilian residency. The other HPSP programs have nice incentives monetarily, but I was dissuaded by what seemed to be the inability to easily complete a residency in your desired field. After speaking with a Navy recruiter I really felt discouraged about the whole process. Just personal experience, of course!

Reactions: 7 users
I definitely see where you are coming from as far as the longer commitment and the lower stipend, but it still seems pretty great to me since I have the ability to choose my own residency/complete a civilian residency. The other HPSP programs have nice incentives monetarily, but I was dissuaded by what seemed to be the inability to easily complete a residency in your desired field. After speaking with a Navy recruiter I really felt discouraged about the whole process. Just personal experience, of course!
Totally agree. That was the big reason I went with this one! Simply was listing some of the cons or reasons that this program might stay a little less know and popular.

Just got the Scholarship Tentative offer!!!!!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
+1. Congrats!!! Crazy to think that all the nightmares of student loans that doctors have to face wonā€™t even apply to us. This is life changing!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Hey! Can someone please help clarify the service time to the VA. Is it only related to the period of time you get funded in med school or is the time extended up until completion of residency? The latter would be an insane time commitment

Hey! Can someone please help clarify the service time to the VA. Is it only related to the period of time you get funded in med school or is the time extended up until completion of residency? The latter would be an insane time commitment
No just for the amount of years you get medical school funding. So generally 6 years max.

I believe there is some language in the contract to extend service time if you go into a unneeded fellowship but not sure of the complete detailsā€¦

Anyone else remember is this if true?

I believe there is some language in the contract to extend service time if you go into a unneeded fellowship but not sure of the complete detailsā€¦

Anyone else remember is this if true?
I haven't inquired more than checking that we are allowed to complete fellowships so I cannot entirely confirm, but I found this:

"Additional service obligation. A participant who has requested and received deferment for approved advanced clinical training may, at the time of approval of such deferment and at the discretion of the Secretary and upon the recommendation of the Under Secretary for Health, incur an additional period of obligated service -

(1) At the rate of one-half of a calendar year for each year of approved clinical training (or a proportionate ratio thereof) if the training is in a specialty determined to be necessary to meet health care requirements of the Veterans Health Administration; Department of Veterans Affairs; or
(2) At the rate of three-quarters of a calendar year for each year of approved graduate training (or a proportionate ratio thereof) if the training is in a medical specialty determined not to be necessary to meet the health care requirements of the Veterans Health Administration. Specialties necessary to meet the health care requirements of the Veterans Health Administration will be prescribed periodically by the Secretary when, and if, this provision for an additional period of obligated service is to be used."

I haven't inquired more than checking that we are allowed to complete fellowships so I cannot entirely confirm, but I found this:

"Additional service obligation. A participant who has requested and received deferment for approved advanced clinical training may, at the time of approval of such deferment and at the discretion of the Secretary and upon the recommendation of the Under Secretary for Health, incur an additional period of obligated service -

(1) At the rate of one-half of a calendar year for each year of approved clinical training (or a proportionate ratio thereof) if the training is in a specialty determined to be necessary to meet health care requirements of the Veterans Health Administration; Department of Veterans Affairs; or
(2) At the rate of three-quarters of a calendar year for each year of approved graduate training (or a proportionate ratio thereof) if the training is in a medical specialty determined not to be necessary to meet the health care requirements of the Veterans Health Administration. Specialties necessary to meet the health care requirements of the Veterans Health Administration will be prescribed periodically by the Secretary when, and if, this provision for an additional period of obligated service is to be used."

This almost makes it sound like you need permission at every step to even do a fellowship. And that apparently based on the statement, that IF approved, it would have to be done at a VA facility. We arenā€™t getting clear answers, so please be cautious and make sure

This almost makes it sound like you need permission at every step to even do a fellowship. And that apparently based on the statement, that IF approved, it would have to be done at a VA facility. We arenā€™t getting clear answers, so please be cautious and make sure
Yeah this is very odd. It seems counter to what Dixon said. I'm sure everyone has seen the youtube video where he is speaking to some Nova students about the scholarship and he very clearly says that you can pursue literally any specialty outside of pediatrics without any blowback from the VA. he also very clearly says that there will be no additional service time at all for any additional residency or fellowship training. Looks like there will be a virtual townhall meeting with everyone who received the scholarship this coming Tuesday. This is definitely something we should get clarification on

Reactions: 3 users
After rewatching the Nova video, it really seems like the additional service only applies to PAā€™s pharmacist etc since he explicitly says it doesnā€™t apply to physicians

Start watching at the 13 minute mark and you will see where he starts talking about it

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
How long does it take to have them clear your background check and get you the info for eQIP? Itā€™s been a week for me since my offer

Just wanted to make a clarification post concerning fellowships. Just got done with the virtual townhall they offered. Even though the people at the VA have said in the past that post medical school training (residency and fellowship) will not incur additional obligated time at the VA, it actually does. For every year of fellowship training, you will owe an additional 1/2 year at the VA. This service obligation could be up to 3/4th of a year for every year of fellowship if its a specialty the VA deems unnecessary. I find this crazy considering the VA does not support you at all during fellowship yet expects you to pay them back with additional time. They obviously have not considered the negative incentives this will put on HPSP recipients to specialize or just not accept the scholarship at all. The fact that they seem to be very misleading and try to hide the additional service time is a major red flag to me. Also I would implore anyone considering this scholarship especially those who might specialize to consider these two scenarios for a prospective cardiologist (or any other specialty that requires a fellowship)...

Scenario 1 (Take the VA Scholarship)

If you accept the scholarship for all 4 years of school, you will owe the VA 6 years. Once you complete your 3 year internal med residency, you will go into your 3 year cardiology fellowship. Remember the institution you complete your fellowship at is financially supporting you, not the VA. Despite this, the VA will tack on an additional 1.5 year of obligation meaning that you must work for them for 7.5 years.

Scenario 2 (Take out federal loans and participate in Public Service Loan Forgiveness with Income-Based Repayment)

If you finance your schooling with federal loans, you are eligible to participate in this program. In essence, if you work for a non-profit (which is almost every hospital out there) or government agency and pay 10% of your discretionary income each year for 10 years, the remaining balance of your loan will be completely forgiven by the federal government tax free. Here's the kicker tho... pretty much every residency and fellowship is conducted at a non-profit organization. This means that if you pay 10% of your income during your residency and fellowship (which is basically nothing), you have completed 6/10 required years. That means that you only need to continue paying 10% of your income for the next 4 years and then your loans are forgiven as long as you work at a non-profit or government hospital (aka the VA). Through this method, you would only have to work at the VA for 4 years instead of 7.5. Yeah you have to pay 10% of your income during those 4 years at the VA but that is insignificant when you consider the math... If you made 300k a year at the VA for 4 years, you would pay 120k over the course of those four years towards your loans until they were forgiven. The pay difference between private practice and VA over those additional 3.5 years of required service would easily make up for 120k you paid towards your loans. Additionally you would have COMPLETE autonomy over which VA you worked at instead of being forced to work where the VA says you have to go for 7.5 years. And no one can predict the future. After fellowship, you wouldnt even have to work at the VA if your priorities changed. There's plenty of cardiologists at non-profit hospitals making 500k+ a year. You just have a lot more freedom with this option and do not have a 7.5 year obligation.

I understand there are way more to the scholarships than just the financial aspects of it but this scenario is something that seriously needs to be considered especially since it seems like this is info that they dont really want you to know/consider.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Just wanted to make a clarification post concerning fellowships. Just got done with the virtual townhall they offered. Even though the people at the VA have said in the past that post medical school training (residency and fellowship) will not incur additional obligated time at the VA, it actually does. For every year of fellowship training, you will owe an additional 1/2 year at the VA. This service obligation could be up to 3/4th of a year for every year of fellowship if its a specialty the VA deems unnecessary. I find this crazy considering the VA does not support you at all during fellowship yet expects you to pay them back with additional time. They obviously have not considered the negative incentives this will put on HPSP recipients to specialize or just not accept the scholarship at all. The fact that they seem to be very misleading and try to hide the additional service time is a major red flag to me. Also I would implore anyone considering this scholarship especially those who might specialize to consider these two scenarios for a prospective cardiologist (or any other specialty that requires a fellowship)...

Scenario 1 (Take the VA Scholarship)

If you accept the scholarship for all 4 years of school, you will owe the VA 6 years. Once you complete your 3 year internal med residency, you will go into your 3 year cardiology fellowship. Remember the institution you complete your fellowship at is financially supporting you, not the VA. Despite this, the VA will tack on an additional 1.5 year of obligation meaning that you must work for them for 7.5 years.

Scenario 2 (Take out federal loans and participate in Public Service Loan Forgiveness with Income-Based Repayment)

If you finance your schooling with federal loans, you are eligible to participate in this program. In essence, if you work for a non-profit (which is almost every hospital out there) or government agency and pay 10% of your discretionary income each year for 10 years, the remaining balance of your loan will be completely forgiven by the federal government tax free. Here's the kicker tho... pretty much every residency and fellowship is conducted at a non-profit organization. This means that if you pay 10% of your income during your residency and fellowship (which is basically nothing), you have completed 6/10 required years. That means that you only need to continue paying 10% of your income for the next 4 years and then your loans are forgiven as long as you work at a non-profit or government hospital (aka the VA). Through this method, you would only have to work at the VA for 4 years instead of 7.5. Yeah you have to pay 10% of your income during those 4 years at the VA but that is insignificant when you consider the math... If you made 300k a year at the VA for 4 years, you would pay 120k over the course of those four years towards your loans until they were forgiven. The pay difference between private practice and VA over those additional 3.5 years of required service would easily make up for 120k you paid towards your loans. Additionally you would have COMPLETE autonomy over which VA you worked at instead of being forced to work where the VA says you have to go for 7.5 years. And no one can predict the future. After fellowship, you wouldnt even have to work at the VA if your priorities changed. There's plenty of cardiologists at non-profit hospitals making 500k+ a year. You just have a lot more freedom with this option and do not have a 7.5 year obligation.

I understand there are way more to the scholarships than just the financial aspects of it but this scenario is something that seriously needs to be considered especially since it seems like this is info that they dont really want you to know/consider.
I think Mr. Youngblood said that this was actually "fresh off the press" (his own words). I don't think they are trying to hide things; I think because it's such a new program and no one has actually went thru the whole thing, they don't want to make verbal promises they can't keep.

That being said, I don't particularly understand the added fellowship years time because like... they need so many specialists who literally HAVE to do fellowships (especially IM specialties). So why create this discouragement for fellowships? They're treating fellowships as like "niche" stuff when it is most definitely not.

For the PSLF part, I am getting conflicting information. On one hand, I hear it's a pretty common pathway physicians take but on the other hand (in the non-physician sphere) I have heard sooo many people apply for forgiveness and never get it because of some technicalities, changes in loan servicers, a payment misstep, etc. 10 years is a long time to have to get it right all the time. For example, "Among processed applications of PSLF, 2.16% have been accepted since Nov 2020 (source). Couple that with the fact that I don't really trust that, in the next 14 years, the government won't make some crazy changes to the program or scrap it completely. Too many variables like that that make me worried about PSLFā€”wouldn't want to pay minimum payments for so long, wrack up an insane about of interest only to find out I am denied when I could have been aggressively paying off my loans for a few years at that point.

The specialty thing you bring up is very poignant; definitely do not want to be in my 3rd year having to factor that into my decision of specialty. I would realllllly like to know how much your preference in location factors into their decision. I mean I would not at all mind being 6.5 years in Seattle of DC or NYC or...! But how much is my choice factored in? And how is the list of positions generated? All available VA hosp positions in your specialty in the country or only the ones that need more personnel?

I think Mr. Youngblood said that this was actually "fresh off the press" (his own words). I don't think they are trying to hide things; I think because it's such a new program and no one has actually went thru the whole thing, they don't want to make verbal promises they can't keep.

That being said, I don't particularly understand the added fellowship years time because like... they need so many specialists who literally HAVE to do fellowships (especially IM specialties). So why create this discouragement for fellowships? They're treating fellowships as like "niche" stuff when it is most definitely not.

For the PSLF part, I am getting conflicting information. On one hand, I hear it's a pretty common pathway physicians take but on the other hand (in the non-physician sphere) I have heard sooo many people apply for forgiveness and never get it because of some technicalities, changes in loan servicers, a payment misstep, etc. 10 years is a long time to have to get it right all the time. For example, "Among processed applications of PSLF, 2.16% have been accepted since Nov 2020 (source). Couple that with the fact that I don't really trust that, in the next 14 years, the government won't make some crazy changes to the program or scrap it completely. Too many variables like that that make me worried about PSLFā€”wouldn't want to pay minimum payments for so long, wrack up an insane about of interest only to find out I am denied when I could have been aggressively paying off my loans for a few years at that point.

The specialty thing you bring up is very poignant; definitely do not want to be in my 3rd year having to factor that into my decision of specialty. I would realllllly like to know how much your preference in location factors into their decision. I mean I would not at all mind being 6.5 years in Seattle of DC or NYC or...! But how much is my choice factored in? And how is the list of positions generated? All available VA hosp positions in your specialty in the country or only the ones that need more personnel?
Yeah the ā€œhot off the pressā€ comment really bothered me. Either they were trying to hide the info or they literally didnā€™t know which is super concerning to me. The legislation that requires additional service time for fellowship has been in place for over 3 years now. Youā€™re telling me youā€™re the head of this program and just now are realizing that fellowships will incur an additional time commitment? It took me a google search and about 10 minutes reading the legislation to figure out that fellowships incur additional time. The legislation actually says it could be 1/2 a year or 3/4 of year per year of fellowship depending on the specialty. Yet Youngblood said that it would only be 1/2 year. Like dude you arenā€™t even giving us the full truth when you are revealing this info. Instead your giving us the best case scenario of half a year cause you donā€™t want people to know the fellowship requirement might actually incur 3/4th of a year. I just think thatā€™s sooo incompetent to not know that detail especially when Scott Dixon is saying something completely opposite when asked point blank about it in that Nova video. I personally donā€™t want to be in a program where the people in charge donā€™t even understand their own program. I get itā€™s a new program but come on people this is basic stuff.

As for the low numbers with PSLF, I also heard about that super low approval number. From what Iā€™ve heard, this is largely due in part to people who had no business applying for forgiveness but tried so anyway. And not to sound arrogant but those of us who are going to become doctors are pretty diligent about following rules and being responsible. The general public on the other handā€¦ well I think itā€™s safe to say that they probably arenā€™t as on top of it as doctors are. If you were able to only look at the number of doctors applying for forgiveness as your cohort, Iā€™d expect the approval rating to be significantly higher. People on the white cost investor seem to really trust and believe in the pslf but yeah I def see the risk you are talking about after 10 years of payments and not having your loan forgiven off a technicality

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have a question. As a physician at the VA hospital, would you still be able to work part time in private practice or as a part-time physician at a smaller hospital/med school?

Hey guys, I have a question. As a physician at the VA hospital, would you still be able to work part time in private practice or as a part-time physician at a smaller hospital/med school?
I think hospitals might make you sign non-competes but you would have to check. I think you can moonlight at the VA for some extra dough, though.

Is it too late to apply for Fall 2022? When can we start applying for Spring 2023 if it is too late then?

Hey guys! How long did it take for your background check to clear?
A week or two after completing my e-QIP, my references started receiving forms from the DOD via snail mail to verify my employment. I don't know if any of the personal references were contacted, but three of my employment contacts definitely were. After that point, I'm not sure how long it takes. I haven't heard any news on that end, but I did receive the bank account verification request around the same time the forms started showing up. I had previously gone through a VA background check for volunteering so it may have been a quicker process in the early stages.