Forum Members Upgrade feedback and bug log

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bug: When I click on unread threads from the Watched Threads page, it doesn't take me to the first unread post. It only goes to the post roughly 3-5 posts above the unread posts. I don't have this issue clicking on alerts.

I support the capri :coffee:

Thanks for spotting this

Members don't see this ad.

Uhh is this a temporary error? I often get this while clicking on alerts. Or is it a network bandwidth issue?

Screenshot_20190402-174305_Samsung Internet.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Hate pretty much everything about this new layout. Probably not helpful, but this is a perfect example of trying to fix something that was never broken.

Reactions: 6 users
Hate pretty much everything about this new layout. Probably not helpful, but this is a perfect example of trying to fix something that was never broken.

What do you recommend to improve it? Not sure if reverting back to old forum software is possible but suggestions to make it close to it would be appreciated

Reactions: 1 user
This new format is horrible. Please add back the option to use the old styles. We do not need a sleek modern feel to these forums. It was perfect as it was.

Reactions: 2 users
When viewing watched thread list, threads with new posts are bolded I guess but it's barely discernable on dark theme. Please make it more obvious or give us back the abbreviated list?

Reactions: 4 users
When viewing watched thread list, threads with new posts are bolded I guess but it's barely discernable on dark theme. Please make it more obvious or give us back the abbreviated list?
Yeah, I went back to the light theme because that was unusable.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
What do you recommend to improve it? Not sure if reverting back to old forum software is possible but suggestions to make it close to it would be appreciated
why can't there be an option to switch back to the old style?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a way to switch the theme back to the old blue one?

Dear SDN and @Lee

The new looks fabulous. Nice, sleek, modern, easy on the eyes and colorful. Good job.

For those 2-3 users complaining o_O, they and their friends could simply unplug, create/maintain face to face relationships with people in their midst and kick the addiction habit.

I thank thee! The check is in the mail :bow:

The new look is awful and it's far more than 2-3 users complaining. I gave you an angry face to your comment just so you could see how dumb I think it was. At least now I can express my annoyance with people both through the "reaction" function and quotes now.

This is a major update to the underlying platform, so the old styles will not work anymore.

You can still search by who posted them and by specific thread. Select the drop down box to the right of the search box and you can access those options.

Before my critiques, just want to say thank you for actually taking the time to read these and fix things that you are able to. If nothing else, I do appreciate the work you and the team are putting in.

That being said, I honestly cannot stand this new layout, and after being on for about 20 minutes it is legitimately giving me a headache. Font is too small, there is too much empty space which makes the font seem even smaller, the color scheme clashes significantly making the optics awful, the avatars are smaller than the banners and the user information seems to just be floating there, and the reactions, signatures, and "report/quote/reply" icons all just blend together since there are no buttons.

A lot of things which just make this format extremely user unfriendly.

I'll be honest, I have been fully planning to donate to this site as it has been a wealth of information to me over the years and just fun to be a part of. With this new change though I legitimately may stop using it altogether. Not only do I find the aesthetics frustrating, the current formats are actually forcing me to strain and giving me headaches. I'd love to stay around and really hope to, but I'm not about to continue using a site which causes me to feel physically unwell.

I would really love the option to go back to the old layout. This is moving towards looking like reddit.

I thought the same thing. I specifically do not use reddit because the layout is that bad and I do not appreciate that this site is moving towards that.

The color scheme clashes and is bad. One thing I noticed is that the avatars are smaller than the banners, which is just weird and in addition to making people harder to identify is very aesthetically unpleasant. I like that the old user information on threads was in a nice little box so it could easily be found. Now it looks like it's just floating there and is weird.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
The new look is awful and it's far more than 2-3 users complaining. I gave you an angry face to your comment just so you could see how dumb I think it was. At least now I can express my annoyance with people both through the "reaction" function and quotes now.

Before my critiques, just want to say thank you for actually taking the time to read these and fix things that you are able to. If nothing else, I do appreciate the work you and the team are putting in.

That being said, I honestly cannot stand this new layout, and after being on for about 20 minutes it is legitimately giving me a headache. Font is too small, there is too much empty space which makes the font seem even smaller, the color scheme clashes significantly making the optics awful, the avatars are smaller than the banners and the user information seems to just be floating there, and the reactions, signatures, and "report/quote/reply" icons all just blend together since there are no buttons.

I'll be honest, I have been fully planning to donate to this site as it has been a wealth of information to me over the years and just fun to be a part of. With this new change though I legitimately may stop using it altogether. Not only do I find the aesthetics frustrating, the current formats are actually forcing me to strain and giving me headaches. I'd love to stay around and really hope to, but I'm not about to continue using a site which causes me to feel physically unwell.

I thought the same thing. I specifically do not use reddit because the layout is that bad and I do not appreciate that this site is moving towards that.

The color scheme clashes and is bad. One thing I noticed is that the avatars are smaller than the banners, which is just weird and in addition to making people harder to identify is very aesthetically unpleasant. I like that the old user information on threads was in a nice little box so it could easily be found. Now it looks like it's just floating there and is weird.

Have you tried night mode? Light mode is terrible but night/dark mode worked bettee for me

@WildWing

Also, I hate that you have to click a drop down arrow to see people's information. Just seems like an unnecessary feature that is more of a hassle than helpful.

Have you tried night mode? Light mode is terrible but night/dark mode worked bettee for me

It's a little better, but it still gives me a headache. It's really frustrating because I really don't want to have to stop using this site because of formatting :(

Reactions: 3 users
It's a little better, but it still gives me a headache. It's really frustrating because I really don't want to have to stop using this site because of formatting :(
It's a little better for shading but a lot worse for usability. The bold is so indistinct I can't tell what threads are still unread.

Also, the avatars have been steadily getting worse since 2009 or so. They used to be vertical enough you could see the text beneath mine ("It's not Lupus") but they made them square a few years after I joined. They've shrunk significantly in the subsequent redesigns.

I presume because images take more bandwidth than text, but that's a guess on my part.

It's a little better for shading but a lot worse for usability. The bold is so indistinct I can't tell what threads are still unread.

Are you viewing SDN on desktop or mobile? On my computer, SDN seemingly looks better and more organized than on my phone. No issues with typing speed either (something I noticed in mobile)

I will join the other curmudgeons with asking for the old styles back (I think I was using the old school version but I don't remember). Barring that can we get the unread watched thread thing back so we only see the unread ones. Also can we get the page numbers back for the long threads that you open up when there isn't a new thread and/or have it default to the last page instead of the first.

The drop down menu on mobile has a lot of repeats (new posts is on there twice, so is new threads, new activity seems like it would be the same as new posts)

When I type very fast on mobile I had a couple of times where an extra letter appeared. Like maybe it autocorrected something I typed but then I typed more too quickly. Haven't been able to recreate it though.

There should be a way to search your own posts by clicking on the number of posts in your profile. It was the case pre-update but now the number of posts isn't hyperlinked :(

Dear SDN and @Lee

The new looks fabulous. Nice, sleek, modern, easy on the eyes and colorful. Good job.

For those 2-3 users complaining o_O, they and their friends could simply unplug, create/maintain face to face relationships with people in their midst and kick the addiction habit.

I thank thee! The check is in the mail :bow:

You probably did not notice that the complains started way before they even updated today. There are 2-3 users NOT complaining.
But I wanna say you bring up a good point. This is gonna help kick my addiction that started when the app cycle started.

I use sdn on mobile constantly. I would bet plenty users do too.

I use SDN “mobile” as in, I load SDN into my safari browser on my phone. This update is NOT mobile friendly at all and I cannot foresee myself staying on SDN much longer due to functionality. (And i have a delay while typing.. nice)

Why can’t old style be an option?

Is there a still a way to access unread watched threads specifically? That link now goes to all watched threads and the distinction between the read and unread ones is not super clear.

I use SDN “mobile” as in, I load SDN into my safari browser on my phone. This update is NOT mobile friendly at all and I cannot foresee myself staying on SDN much longer due to functionality. (And i have a delay while typing.. nice)

Yeah the typing delay on mobile stinks. It disappears in desktop.

I think functionality issues will be fixed pretty quickly but maybe I'm just optimistic :bag::sorry:

Yeah, that is how I use it as well (though on android using chrome).

Is there a still a way to access unread watched threads specifically? That link now goes to all watched threads and the distinction between the read and unread ones is not super clear.

We will look into adding a link to unread watched forums.

• Love

Wait are you bolding something? It's hard to see in night mode for some reason

• Haha
The old SDN styles apparently aren't compatible with the new forum software from what i understand
what was wrong with the old forum software? can we just switch back to that lol?

or try to emulate the old style theme as an option into the new forum software?

I agree with stagg. I’ve been on less then 10 min and I’m getting a headache (and I rarely get headaches).

Can we at least try to get a design that mimics the old style now that it’s not compatible with the platform?

Reactions: 6 users
Wait I just realized this thread wasn't a sticky... :bag::sorry:

I was confused initially because before the update, there was a clear separation between sticky threads and normal threads, but now that division isn't apparent? The only threads that I know are stickies are those marked by those sticky pushpins.

Can we also change the color of the verified doctor banners to something that makes the text readable?

the green for vets definitely makes the text unreadable (and is an ugly shade of green at that) Why is it even green if the pre-vet forum is pink?

Are you viewing SDN on desktop or mobile? On my computer, SDN seemingly looks better and more organized than on my phone. No issues with typing speed either (something I noticed in mobile)
I use sdn on mobile constantly. I would bet plenty users do too.

I’m closing in on 5 years and I’m a lifetime donor... my use by modality looks like:

0.00001% SDN app
97% mobile site
2.99999% desktop site

The new layout is awful. There are redundant options in the menu, but no “unread watched threads” option. My main launch points for using SDN are unread watched threads and new posts.

Reactions: 9 users
There is a god-awful amount of wasted space on this new software/theme. The L/R margins are enormous, the padding at the top/bottom of posts is huge, etc. The whitespace on quotes is large. I'm actually not sure if it's more space than the old standard theme, but the general lack of outlines and divisions makes it appear so. It's also way too white and uniform, making elements blend into the background.

I also hate that each user box on the left has a drop-down arrow to display content that should be displayed by default.

Oh, and the persistent navbar at the top that takes up screen space no matter how you scroll, filled with infinitely useful links like "Interviews" and "Articles."

• Love
Reactions: 12 users