University of Arizona - Tucson Interview Hold

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddhopeful

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to the University of Arizona - Tucson and got this email:

Dear XXXX,

We welcome your continued interest in the University of Arizona College of Medicine-Tucson. The primary screening phase of your application has been completed and your application has been placed in the ‘Interview Hold’ status. This status means that you are a competitive applicant and will be reviewed on a weekly basis for interview consideration. We do not accept application updates or letters of intent.

If there are changes to your status, we will communicate with you via email. Intermittent status updates will be sent to applicants that are in the Interview Hold status throughout the cycle. Our interview season runs from August to February. You may be invited for an interview at any point during this time frame. Final notification of your interview status will be sent no later than the end of February 2024.

What does this mean? The MD-PhD website says IIs will be sent out in September. Does this email imply that the MD side has completed their review and waiting for the PhD side to review?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to the University of Arizona - Tucson and got this email:

Dear XXXX,

We welcome your continued interest in the University of Arizona College of Medicine-Tucson. The primary screening phase of your application has been completed and your application has been placed in the ‘Interview Hold’ status. This status means that you are a competitive applicant and will be reviewed on a weekly basis for interview consideration. We do not accept application updates or letters of intent.

If there are changes to your status, we will communicate with you via email. Intermittent status updates will be sent to applicants that are in the Interview Hold status throughout the cycle. Our interview season runs from August to February. You may be invited for an interview at any point during this time frame. Final notification of your interview status will be sent no later than the end of February 2024.

What does this mean? The MD-PhD website says IIs will be sent out in September. Does this email imply that the MD side has completed their review and waiting for the PhD side to review?
I really hope that soon my educational path will be completed. Years of complex testing and unwavering dedication have brought me to this point of waiting. I want to thank all those involved: the teachers who motivated me with their severity, the service https://essays.edubirdie.com/nursing-assignment-help which helped me with assignments when I didn’t have enough strength, and of course, my classmates who, during this time my second family. I wish everyone who is still on the road good luck and patience.
Mr.Smile12 answered correctly. But don't be upset, my friend received an invitation for an interview three weeks after a similar letter. edit: Oops, I'm sorry. I didn't realize this was a section for scientists.

Last edited:
Your application has been scored regarding priority for an interview but not high enough for an immediate invitation. See staircase analogy.
The only inconsistency with what you are saying is that MD-PhD interviews are sent out only in September according to their website. What you are saying makes 100% sense for MD only application but not so sure for MD-PhD.

Reactions: 1 user
The only inconsistency with what you are saying is that MD-PhD interviews are sent out only in September according to their website. What you are saying makes 100% sense for MD only application but not so sure for MD-PhD.
I agree. So this is not from their MD committee?

Every school manages MSTP differently, so I don't know if this means the MD side has made its recommendations to put you on a rung of the staircase to help the MSTP team prioritize. Just my speculation and trying to see if there is an explanation. Others may comment if they know better.

I agree. So this is not from their MD committee?

Every school manages MSTP differently, so I don't know if this means the MD side has made its recommendations to put you on a rung of the staircase to help the MSTP team prioritize. Just my speculation and trying to see if there is an explanation. Others may comment if they know better.
Either MD committee puts all MSTP applicants on specific rungs of the staircase or just informs the MSTP committee whether an applicant is competitive and let the MSTP committee now make their choices based on research etc.

Reactions: 1 user