Univ. of Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Jeeze, I hope I get it soon. I'd hate to think that I'm missing mail.

Members don't see this ad.

But on a happier note: Two of my housemates will be in our class. One person, Erin, is the owner of the house and she's really awesome. Another person is Victor who will be arriving in early August I believe.

But I'm really, really digging Rochester. Its easy to get around, has a nifty little downtown. I'm trying to get as much exploring/relaxing time as I can in before school starts. When anyone gets in, give me a call and I'll see if Erin and I can hang out.

Its so strange to believe that this is happening. Is anyone on that page?

Also, I haven't completed the new surveys that were posted to the matriculation paperwork page, has anyone done those and if so, what are they like?

tinkerbelle said:
Are you guys signing up for the AMA/MSSNY/Monroe CMS thing we got in the mail? I know we get a JAMA subscription and and a dictionary and all, but I don't know if it's really necessary. $84 can buy a whole lot of drinks :p

I understand where you're coming from $84 can buy a good number of drinks. But, I am of the opinion that AMA membership actually is worth the money. I know that the AMA leadership for Rochester is working on reinvigorating the organization. We're planning on doing a good number of service projects for the rochester area, and helping send students to conferences around the country.

As for the JAMA and dictionary... yes, JAMA is available online. But if you don't want to read a journal on the computer (it does kind of suck, a lot, to stare at a computer screen while reading an article), or you want to read an article somewhere that you don't have a computer, it's nice to have your print copy.

And the pocket stedman's. it is indeed abridged. But it would be insane to give everyone a 20 lb book. And the abridged is plenty useful. There are indeed copies of the full version in the PBL rooms, as my colleague ZekeMD said. But, for those times that you aren't actually in a PBL room, which will be, at the very least, approximately 90% of your time, it's a useful reference. While I would love to claim my vocabulary is prodigious enough not to need a reference book, that would be a lie. a dirty dirty lie. Do I use my stedman's every day? no. But am I glad I have it? yes.

hope this helps. Looking forward to meeting you all at the big sib/little sib bbq. I'll be the tall dashing one that all the ladies can't keep their eyes off.... right...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would second what bauies said for a number of reasons. AMA membership allows you to join a national organization representing not just medical students, but residents, fellows, and physicians alike. It is a membership that can stay with you throughout your professional careers. On a local level, the AMA chapter at Rochester has undergone some major changes. There are a number of events and activities planned for the upcoming year including volunteering with the Red Cross, volunteering at local schools to help children learn more about lifestyle changes and leading a healthy lifestyle, and many others. Additionally, the AMA provides help and resources to become involved on the local, regional and national levels by helping members attend national, regional, and local conferences throughout the year. Getting to meet hundreds of medical students nationwide is an amazing experience. JAMA, Stedman's, and the other resources the AMA provides its members are not just ploys... they are meant to serve as resources throughout your 4 years in medical school and beyond.

As a side note, when you get to Rochester (and most medical schools) you'll have the opportunity to join any number of student interest groups. Your membership in any group can be as active or passive as you want. Keep an open mind to these opportunities and participate in something that you care about. No one will fault you for that.

bauies said:
I understand where you're coming from $84 can buy a good number of drinks. But, I am of the opinion that AMA membership actually is worth the money. I know that the AMA leadership for Rochester is working on reinvigorating the organization. We're planning on doing a good number of service projects for the rochester area, and helping send students to conferences around the country.

As for the JAMA and dictionary... yes, JAMA is available online. But if you don't want to read a journal on the computer (it does kind of suck, a lot, to stare at a computer screen while reading an article), or you want to read an article somewhere that you don't have a computer, it's nice to have your print copy.

And the pocket stedman's. it is indeed abridged. But it would be insane to give everyone a 20 lb book. And the abridged is plenty useful. There are indeed copies of the full version in the PBL rooms, as my colleague ZekeMD said. But, for those times that you aren't actually in a PBL room, which will be, at the very least, approximately 90% of your time, it's a useful reference. While I would love to claim my vocabulary is prodigious enough not to need a reference book, that would be a lie. a dirty dirty lie. Do I use my stedman's every day? no. But am I glad I have it? yes.

hope this helps. Looking forward to meeting you all at the big sib/little sib bbq. I'll be the tall dashing one that all the ladies can't keep their eyes off.... right...

You two are so cute for registering just to promote the AMA :p

Larsitron said:
Also, I haven't completed the new surveys that were posted to the matriculation paperwork page, has anyone done those and if so, what are they like?

One of the surveys just makes you register on some website (i think it was for surveys once classes start). The other survery is a little on the long side. It asks you to rate a whole bunch of criteria (how important is money, prestige, helping others, how did you decide on rochester, etc.)

Hey guys,

I'm planning on heading up to Rochester on Aug 8th. I only have 9 more days of work left! I think the AMA thing is worth it. While $84 is a lot of drinks, you'll see once you get to Rochester, drinks are really cheap (on thursdays there's usually $2 at most places and $10 open bar or $15 top shelf open bar at Tiki Bobs) and since i doubt we'll have time to be out on too many thursdays, Canadian duty free is also really close. With all the money you save on alcohol, you can splurge and get your AMA membership!
I look forward to meeting you guys soon.

take care,
Ajay

ducle7 said:
$15 top shelf open bar at Tiki Bobs

For a second, I thought you were talking about a topless bar called Tiki Boobs :p I swear I need to learn to read better :D

Did you guys do this contact form yet? What picture are they putting in the facebook? I don't suppose we'll get to send them a decent picture (as opposed to that horrible picture they took during our interviews)?

tinkerbelle said:
You two are so cute for registering just to promote the AMA :p
thanks. I thought so too. but i'm cute for sooo many other reasons :love: :laugh: :) ;)

tinkerbelle said:
For a second, I thought you were talking about a topless bar called Tiki Boobs :p I swear I need to learn to read better :D

Did you guys do this contact form yet? What picture are they putting in the facebook? I don't suppose we'll get to send them a decent picture (as opposed to that horrible picture they took during our interviews)?

I didn't hear anything about the contact form yet? Did you get it recently in the mail or by e-mail?

tinkerbelle said:

Don't worry about your facebook picture. It will be the one for your University ID card. So when you come to register, be sure to look sharp.

As for bars, there are a ton of different scenes you can go to. Tiki Bobs is in high falls. personally not a fan, as i frequent A St. a bit more. Then there are the Monroe Ave bars. I know that some of them have great specials, like $1 beers, anything on tap.

And I didn't just register to promote the AMA. I just wanted to provide you with a different opinion about the possible perks of joining.

bauies said:
thanks. I thought so too. but i'm cute for sooo many other reasons :love: :laugh: :) ;)

:laugh: :p

Don't worry about your facebook picture. It will be the one for your University ID card. So when you come to register, be sure to look sharp.

Perfect. I'll remember :)

ducle7 said:
I didn't hear anything about the contact form yet? Did you get it recently in the mail or by e-mail?

I got an e-mail this morning. Just go to the website with all those forms and you should see it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, hope all of you are enjoying the summer just like i am. From all the posts our class seems to be really nice and friendly :) Lets hope we all enjoy the years to come. Anyway, I plan to drive to Rochester on Aug 6th (from Allentown, PA) and will check in with y'all then. Meanwhile, whats the general take on the statistics website we have been asked to go through? Quoting the email "we strongly encourage all of you to go to the web site http://psych.rice.edu/online_stat/ and review chapters I, II, and IIIA and B prior to the MMI course."

Upperclass(wo)men who took the MMI course, any advice?

Later
Aunali

ask1288 said:
Hi all, hope all of you are enjoying the summer just like i am. From all the posts our class seems to be really nice and friendly :) Lets hope we all enjoy the years to come. Anyway, I plan to drive to Rochester on Aug 6th (from Allentown, PA) and will check in with y'all then. Meanwhile, whats the general take on the statistics website we have been asked to go through? Quoting the email "we strongly encourage all of you to go to the web site http://psych.rice.edu/online_stat/ and review chapters I, II, and IIIA and B prior to the MMI course."

Upperclass(wo)men who took the MMI course, any advice?

Later
Aunali

As far as MMI is concerned, if you have a background in stats/feel confident in your ability to read a journal article, MMI should be not too bad. If you haven't had much background in this, it's ok. you can make it through just fine. But I would recommend the website. They used that in my undergrad psych course at Rice, and I thought it was a pretty helpful tool. Good interactive tools.

Even if you feel strong on stats, it's probably a good idea to brush up on the subject at least a little before you come to school.

In the end though, MMI is a really laid back course. You should have plenty of time to adjust to your new city, explore, etc.

Okay, so I was finally able to log into the U of R's matriculation survey (turns out my first name is too long for it all to be used) and I've found it a bit confusing. In the career section, what do we type in those boxes? Whether or not we agree or disagree? Maybe I'm making it too complicated...

Wow Colin, I don't remember your head being so big last year :D
bauies said:

ZekeMD said:
Wow Colin, I don't remember your head being so big last year :D

just makes it easier for everyone to look at my stunning features.

Hey,

Do you guys know when we get out for winter break, summer break, and thanksgiving? Thanks a lot!

-Ajay

ducle7 said:
Hey,

Do you guys know when we get out for winter break, summer break, and thanksgiving? Thanks a lot!

-Ajay

I think there's an academic schedule posted online somewhere, although I can't seem to locate it right now. This past year however, we started winter break on December 15th (I think), For thanksgiving I think we got wednesday, thursday (thanksgiving), and friday off, and we finished May 27th.

ducle7 said:
Hey,

-Ajay

I have looked at the first-year schedule for planning out meetings for the Emergency Medicine Interest Group (you should check it out, it's gonna be sweet, stop by the table during the lunch time fair in the atrium).

I'm pretty sure that we do get wednesday before thanksgiving off.

winter break doesn't start until december 23rd. it kinda sucks because it's late. but we are starting about a week later than we did last year. Classes start again on January 9.

There is a spring break, which is in march. I believe it's the week of 13-17, but don't quote me on that.

I'm pretty sure your class finishes everything up at the end of may, just like we did, but you may go that last week of may, into june 1 & 2.

The calendar I saw hadn't set the exam dates, so it's a bit iffy. hope this helps in planning travel, etc.

-colin

bauies said:
I have looked at the first-year schedule for planning out meetings for the Emergency Medicine Interest Group (you should check it out, it's gonna be sweet, stop by the table during the lunch time fair in the atrium).

I'm pretty sure that we do get wednesday before thanksgiving off.

winter break doesn't start until december 23rd. it kinda sucks because it's late. but we are starting about a week later than we did last year. Classes start again on January 9.

There is a spring break, which is in march. I believe it's the week of 13-17, but don't quote me on that.

I'm pretty sure your class finishes everything up at the end of may, just like we did, but you may go that last week of may, into june 1 & 2.

The calendar I saw hadn't set the exam dates, so it's a bit iffy. hope this helps in planning travel, etc.

-colin

If it makes a difference, we actually technically didn't have the day off before Thanksgiving. We had lecture and lab until noon. It was the day we took out the abdominal contents. A good number of people missed it, so it's not really a big deal, but if you do miss it, it's important to set aside some time to learn what you missed (preferably from what someone who went to the lab).

Thanks for answering my questions!

-Ajay

Hi all...anybody in a situation like mine? My CPR training has already expired so have to have it renewed...from the materials they sent us we need to get together a grp and a common time to do this right? Perhaps we could start building a list here?

Am planning to drive to Rochester this sunday...so see you all soon
Aunali

ask1288 said:
Hi all...anybody in a situation like mine? My CPR training has already expired so have to have it renewed...from the materials they sent us we need to get together a grp and a common time to do this right? Perhaps we could start building a list here?

Am planning to drive to Rochester this sunday...so see you all soon
Aunali

Don't worry about the CPR training. Once you start school, you will arrange it as a class.

bauies said:

So does this mean we have the 23rd off (and therefore technically have our last class till like 5pm on the 22nd)? Or does that mean that our last class is until like noon on the 23rd?

I just got an email saying that for folks planning to register, don't forget to bring registration documents..?

Anyone know what documents these are?

Aunali

Drivers license and a birth-certificate/passport. Its pretty well detailed in the "verification for eligibility" bit of the online forms that we had to look at.

Hello everyone...finally arrived in Rochester, NY ...and got my id/white coat taken care of. Was a bit dissapointed to learn that theres no free printing (was hoping to print directions to/from malls.grocert/home/school etc)

Anyway, if any of you are getting together do let me know

thanks
Aunali

ask1288 said:
Hello everyone...finally arrived in Rochester, NY ...and got my id/white coat taken care of. Was a bit dissapointed to learn that theres no free printing (was hoping to print directions to/from malls.grocert/home/school etc)

Anyway, if any of you are getting together do let me know

thanks
Aunali

There was free printing all last year, and to be honest, I'm glad there's not this year. They give med students a lot of printing on our ID's, and now we wont have to wait a long time for printers because people are abusing the free printing.

ZekeMD said:
There was free printing all last year, and to be honest, I'm glad there's not this year. They give med students a lot of printing on our ID's, and now we wont have to wait a long time for printers because people are abusing the free printing.

oh i did not know that med students get a certain quota on their id's...thanks for the info :)

Well, its the first day of Orientation...anyone still reading this?

Larsitron said:
Well, its the first day of Orientation...anyone still reading this?

you're up way too early, Lars :p