Univ. of Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Saving from oblivion with a bump.

Members don't see this ad.

Rescuing from page 6.

Its really interesting how few incoming U of R people are on this board. I feel kind of lonely.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed in October and got in. I am waiting on a few more schools but I am definitely considering U of R. I'm just very hesitant about the weather because I'm from Southern CA. When I interviewed there, everyone I talked to really love the school and the curriculum. I left with a glowing feel. I guess, if I can manage to get over my fears about the weather, you'll see me there next year :) If I do not get into the schools I'm waiting to hear back from, I am debating between U of R and Albert Einstein...I guess I'll wait for the Financial Aid package to come and hopefully make my decision then.

Does anyone know much about the Financial Aid package/Scholarship Offers from both of those schools? Any details would be appreciated. :)

smartievan said:
I interviewed in October and got in. I am waiting on a few more schools but I am definitely considering U of R. I'm just very hesitant about the weather because I'm from Southern CA. When I interviewed there, everyone I talked to really love the school and the curriculum. I left with a glowing feel. I guess, if I can manage to get over my fears about the weather, you'll see me there next year :) If I do not get into the schools I'm waiting to hear back from, I am debating between U of R and Albert Einstein...I guess I'll wait for the Financial Aid package to come and hopefully make my decision then.

Does anyone know much about the Financial Aid package/Scholarship Offers from both of those schools? Any details would be appreciated. :)

Hey Smartievan, I'm just like you, from CA and deciding between Einstein and Rochester (also MCW). I was pretty set on going to Einstein (need the big city life) but I just got a substantial scholarship from U of R, effectively cutting my expected debt by half. Decisions decisions.

I'll be moving to Rochester from Tucson, AZ. I've lived in the Sonoran Desert all my life and I'm looking forward to the change (albeit an extreme one). I'll just try to be a meteorological badass.

So is there anyone else browsing this board that's absolutely sure they're going to be coming to Rochester? I'd like to at least get to know one of my future classmates.

Just wanting to see if there are any other incoming U of R SOM people who I'll get to meet in the fall...

(really just finding an excuse to bump)

Ooh! I got an email from Roch yesterday and I was so excited, I thought that I was going to get off the waitlist. But alas, it was only reminding me that I need to update any address change info with AMCAS. I never heard anything about whether I was "active" waitlisted or otherwise. I called the office to find out where I was, whether or not I needed to keep Roch in consideration and she said the list isn't ranked, they go back to it once the acceptances start being dropped.

The suspense continues...

I thought the same exact thing when I got an email yesterday! As if we aren't updating our contact information already, thanks! Oh well...more waiting :cool:

To continue the Rochester discussion, I am originally from a small town 45 minutes outside of Rochester. I live in New York City now and after being away for quite some time I am looking forward to moving back to Upstate (if I can get off this waitlist). The area is truly beautiful, and the wineries along the finger lakes are great. Wow, I never thought I would be saying this about moving back upstate, trust me, but after living in NY for a year, I will be excited to not have to pay outrageous prices for everything.

DianaLynne said:
Ooh! I got an email from Roch yesterday and I was so excited, I thought that I was going to get off the waitlist. But alas, it was only reminding me that I need to update any address change info with AMCAS. I never heard anything about whether I was "active" waitlisted or otherwise. I called the office to find out where I was, whether or not I needed to keep Roch in consideration and she said the list isn't ranked, they go back to it once the acceptances start being dropped.

The suspense continues...

I'm in the same boat you are--got all excited when I saw the email, but then it was nothing great. Doesn't being in limbo stink?

IAmAUser said:
See you there Lars.

I haven't been on SDN much lately now that the suspense is over, but it's Rochester for me :thumbup:

Awesome! Where are you from?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, while things may be fine and dandy in Tucson now, it gets dangerously hot soon. I'm from Phoenix and have lived in the desert all my life. I'm really going to miss it though. But I get hypnotized by free standing bodies of water and greenery.

Just reviving this thread as a future med student! I just got in and am feeling pretty damn good. I just finished my undergrad at Rochester, and am currently back home in Bismarck Noth Dakota. I have also found out that my parents have "generously" bequeathed to me the 1996 Ford Explorer, which will hopefully run for four more years.

Awesome. You'll probably be in better shape than my Toyota sedan.

Live, live damn you!!! So anyways, future Rochester people where you at? Who is going to Rochester anyways? Should we start an official thread for that douchebaggery?

DianaLynne said:
Ooh! I got an email from Roch yesterday and I was so excited, I thought that I was going to get off the waitlist. But alas, it was only reminding me that I need to update any address change info with AMCAS.

So this e-mail that says "please call me [dr. hansen] to discuss your application" is just to update my amcas :confused: How silly. And here I thought I was getting an acceptance :p

I've got my lease signed, my orientation homework done, and a U-Haul rented to take me there in July.

Larsitron said:
I've got my lease signed, my orientation homework done, and a U-Haul rented to take me there in July.

Lars where you gonna live? I am thinking about buying a place, waiting for one of my friends to see if he gets off the wl. I am also going up in mid july to look for places/get settled in. Where are our other future classmates?

I found a place with a few other first years about three short blocks from Strong.

Larsitron said:
I found a place with a few other first years about three short blocks from Strong.

Where did you find these 1st years?? Did you craigslist em, cuz I may need to find roommates as well.

The house was actually a friend of a friend as have been the other first years. I wish that we could get some classwide directory.

Rzarecta said:
Where did you find these 1st years?? Did you craigslist em, cuz I may need to find roommates as well.

I am officially going to Rochester :)

Didn't a poster say that someone at UR (Stacie? Mary?) has a list of people who need roommates? Or did I make that up :p Hmm. I really need to start apartment hunting....

Her name is Gracie, I'll try to find her email address for you when I get home. :) I'm going to U of R as well and also sent her my roommate request info.

smartievan said:
Her name is Gracie, I'll try to find her email address for you when I get home. :) I'm going to U of R as well and also sent her my roommate request info.

Ok, thanks!

So tink,

Why Rochester? (I'm too lazy to read this thread) :D

Hooray Tink!!! Fellow future Rochesterian!!! I am also looking at apartments right now, but I am gonna go up early in order to find the "perfect" spot. Lucky for me, some of my friends still go to school at Rochester undergrad, so I am gonna mooch of em for a few weeks. Where you thinking about living?

Hey,

I just finished my first year at the UofR, so if you have any questions, let me know.

Rzarecta said:
Hooray Tink!!! Fellow future Rochesterian!!! I am also looking at apartments right now, but I am gonna go up early in order to find the "perfect" spot. Lucky for me, some of my friends still go to school at Rochester undergrad, so I am gonna mooch of em for a few weeks. Where you thinking about living?

Some other posters suggested East Avenue/Park Avenue... so I think I'll start looking there. I don't know how I'm going to go about looking for a place though. I guess I should fly up there one weekend and visit some apartment buildings.

josehernandez94 said:
Hey,

I just finished my first year at the UofR, so if you have any questions, let me know.

congrats on finishing your first year :)

sunnyjohn said:
So tink,

Why Rochester? (I'm too lazy to read this thread) :D

I guess I just needed to get out of this place (Maryland). I was perfectly content going to my state school. But once I got this acceptance, it just hit me that I'd probably end up living in Baltimore forever if I didn't get out now. Plus, when I interviewed, I absoluetly fell in love with the school. It's super expensive, but I think it's worth the money :)

tinkerbelle said:
I guess I just needed to get out of this place (Maryland). I was perfectly content going to my state school. But once I got this acceptance, it just hit me that I'd probably end up living in Baltimore forever if I didn't get out now. Plus, when I interviewed, I absoluetly fell in love with the school. It's super expensive, but I think it's worth the money :)

Well, when you compare it to a place like BU, its not really super expensive. :)

So what is U or R Med like. I looked at the website and got some info.

Double helix curic? How exactly does it work?

How much time do you really spend in class?

Clinicals the first year sound awesome.

Is the student body very traditional (age-wise)?

What kind of stats do you need?

Is research almost a necessity for admission?

Snow is no biggie for me. I did undergrad in Nebraska. I have no problem being one of a few ethenic faces either.

I am going to add Rochester to my list.

Larsitron said:
Well, when you compare it to a place like BU, its not really super expensive. :)

I suppose you have a point there :)

~ bumping the thread for EvoDevo~

Thanks, Tinkerbelle. :D

Moving to the Allopathic forum. Congrats guys! :)

sunnyjohn said:
So what is U or R Med like. I looked at the website and got some info.

Clinicals the first year sound awesome.

Snow is no biggie for me. I did undergrad in Nebraska. I have no problem being one of a few ethenic faces either.

I am going to add Rochester to my list.

Hey John,

I just finished my first year at UR and I'll try to answer some of your questions.

The main difference between other schools and UR which has the DH curriculum is the fact that we get early clinical exposure. The first semester we take a class to learn how to interview patients and perform a complete physical exam. The second semester we are placed in practices around the community where we work with a primary care doc. I am glad that we got such exposure since I feel very comfortable interviewing and diagnising patients of all ages now.

It varies depending on what class you are taking. During Human Structure Function, we usually had 2 hours of lecture, followed by a lab of some sort (anatomy/histology), or PBL. The afternoon was taken up by small group sessions for our ICM class. In Molecules to Cells however, there were days when we would have 4 hours of lecture. We get a break every hour and it's not too bad though.

The student body is diverse. the average age is 23, but there are many students on both ends of the spectrum. There age range is 20-34 i believe. The class is definately culturally diverse also. Many students were born in other countries, and there is a wide range of backgrounds.

It's hard to say. The lowest MCAT score I know of was a 28, and the highest was a 42. That being said, I don't think Rochester has set "Stats" that they look for, but they look at the complete picture to try to piece together a diverse/well-rounded class.

I don't think so. I've done research, but there are people in our class who have not done research.

I hope this helps.

Justin

Thanks for the info Justin.

U of R sounds like a great place.

I will check it out a bit more.

What hospitals do you guys use? Strong? Mayo?
~

Nydia

Hey Zeke,

I know that the first two years at Rochester are pass/fail, but are we still ranked on our transcripts, like in percentiles?

sunnyjohn said:

~

Nydia

I know UR is affiliated with Strong. I don't know about the other one.

sunnyjohn said:

~

Nydia

The medical school is connected with Strong, Mayo is in Rochester, MN while UR is in Rochester, NY

Rzarecta said:
The medical school is connected with Strong, Mayo is in Rochester, MN while UR is in Rochester, NY
Boy I feel like a total doofus.

TY

sunnyjohn said:
Boy I feel like a total doofus.

TY

I made the same mistake the first time I heard the name Rochester too :p

tinkerbelle said:
I made the same mistake the first time I heard the name Rochester too :p
Yean but I went to the website and I still missed it!

sunnyjohn said:
Yean but I went to the website and I still missed it!

Haha don't worry about it. I am from North Dakota, and went to UR for undergrad, so when people would ask I would say, "I go to University of Rochester," and they would be like, "Oh, how nice staying close to home(they thinking it was in Minnesota)." Sometimes I was so sick of explaining that it was in Upstate NY that I would just nod and smile. With medical school, most people assume I am talking about Mayo.

Hey did you future Rochesterarians get the email about housing? I love how all the paragraph blurbs sound the same, thus making the choice come down to Park Avenue or not. How early are you all going up to Rochester? I am thinking of going in late July, after I have finished the wedding circuit and read Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince. Yes, I did just type Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince.

I'll be a fourth-year at UofR this year...just saw the thread and thought I'd answer the question about how you are "ranked" on transcripts. The pass/fail courses at Rochester are just that--only the course director actually knows what your scores are. They are not passed on to the advisory deans (who do the dean's letters) in any way. So all that goes on your transcript is "pass" or "fail" for those courses.

However, the class is ranked. This is done on the basis of the graded courses you've taken by fall of fourth year. Graded courses are essentially all required clinical clerkships: the Ambulatory Clerkship Experience during 1st/2nd year, and Medicine, Peds, OB/GYN, Neuro, Psych, Surgery, ED during 3rd/4th year.

Your dean's letter will reflect your rank. Every student gets a descriptor at the beginning of the letter: Outstanding, Excellent, Very Good, or Good. These terms indicate whether you are in the top 20%, next 20%, next 55%, or bottom 5% of the class, respectively. This is a universal language that deans use and they all know what those terms mean.

Your transcript, on the other hand, will not show your rank but will list a grade of Honors, High Pass, or Pass (hopefully not Fail!) for all of the graded clerkships.

Hope that helps!

-BBB

BigBadBix said:
I'll be a fourth-year at UofR this year...just saw the thread and thought I'd answer the question about how you are "ranked" on transcripts. The pass/fail courses at Rochester are just that--only the course director actually knows what your scores are. They are not passed on to the advisory deans (who do the dean's letters) in any way. So all that goes on your transcript is "pass" or "fail" for those courses.

However, the class is ranked. This is done on the basis of the graded courses you've taken by fall of fourth year. Graded courses are essentially all required clinical clerkships: the Ambulatory Clerkship Experience during 1st/2nd year, and Medicine, Peds, OB/GYN, Neuro, Psych, Surgery, ED during 3rd/4th year.

Your dean's letter will reflect your rank. Every student gets a descriptor at the beginning of the letter: Outstanding, Excellent, Very Good, or Good. These terms indicate whether you are in the top 20%, next 20%, next 55%, or bottom 5% of the class, respectively. This is a universal language that deans use and they all know what those terms mean.

Your transcript, on the other hand, will not show your rank but will list a grade of Honors, High Pass, or Pass (hopefully not Fail!) for all of the graded clerkships.

Hope that helps!

-BBB

Just to make sure, the first two years don't go into the ranking whatsoever?

Rzarecta said:
Just to make sure, the first two years don't go into the ranking whatsoever?

The basic science courses from the first two years are pass/fail and not included in the ranking at all. However, the "Ambulatory Clerkship Experience" course (which you take during the second half of 1st year and all of 2nd year) is considered a clinical clerkship just like those you do during 3rd & 4th year. It is therefore graded and included in the ranking.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it. I know it's confusing since we have such an unusual curriculum.

-BBB