UNECOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Caucasian female.
I haven't heard from anywhere else. I applied to 6 schools all over. I only applied DO. My MCAT score is a bit low. I've called the other schools I applied to. If they are looking for a passion for osteopathic medicine, I have it.
I think the fact that I am a UNE undergrad helped me get an interview, but it probably won't help me get in. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, I just want to save myself from a ton of disappointment later. I am retaking my MCAT on Friday, so hopefully, I will be able to send along updated scores.

Good luck with everything and keep your head held high! I am a re-applicant this year and was complemented during my interviews. PM me if you need any help as I will start at UNE this August.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys

I just received an email from UNECOM and was notified that I was.....ACCEPTED!!!!!

I loved UNECOM so much, I am so glad to have been accepted.

Good luck to everyone else who is waiting to hear from them.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys

I just received an email from UNECOM and was notified that I was.....ACCEPTED!!!!!

I loved UNECOM so much, I am so glad to have been accepted.

Good luck to everyone else who is waiting to hear from them.:laugh:

Congrats! I'm glad to see that you are so excited about your acceptance:)

Congrats! I'm glad to see that you are so excited about your acceptance:)

Thanks so much Postal. Yea, I really loved the school so obviously that acceptance is VERY welcome-especially since I have had a string of waitlists.

Anything new with you? Are you still planning on attending Touro-NY?

I'm also interested in hearing if anyone else has been recently accepted to UNECOM.

withdrew my interview for feb. hope one of you hardworking people gets this opportunity

Thanks so much Postal. Yea, I really loved the school so obviously that acceptance is VERY welcome-especially since I have had a string of waitlists.

Anything new with you? Are you still planning on attending Touro-NY?

I'm also interested in hearing if anyone else has been recently accepted to UNECOM.

Congrats!

I got home from my MCAT retake yesterday to find the rejection letter on the table. I was kind of expecting it, but it still hurts. I can't even describe this feeling.

Congrats!

I got home from my MCAT retake yesterday to find the rejection letter on the table. I was kind of expecting it, but it still hurts. I can't even describe this feeling.

I really am so sorry to hear this-I know everyone says that and it does nothing to make you feel better, but I know how brutal it can be to receive a letter like that.

I really hope your MCAT went well.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

I was hoping to get some feedback from current UNECOM students.

I was recently accepted to UNECOM and absolutely loved the school and as of now, it is my plan to attend.

However, I would like to hear from current students regarding what they like/dislike about the school and if overall, they are happy with their choice to attend.

I know a few pages back in this thread, there was some UNECOM bashing, especially from 1 particular current student who seems very unhappy with the school. Others spoke up that they did not agree with this student, but I still have some concerns.

Also, I am a bit worried about something ShyRem stated about UNECOM. She made this statement a year or 2 ago so it might no longer be the case, but she essentially stated that UNECOM provides NO prep for the boards. In fact, she gave them an "F" in this regard.

I was wondering if current students agree with this, or if UNECOM has made some changes to address this issue.

I also know that there have been some major shake-ups/changes in terms of the administration and faculty and I was wondering if these changes have improved various aspects of the school.

I know I am asking alot, but again, I really loved the school, but I want to make sure that there are no serious issues that should make me reconsider-and I think current students are in the best position to answer these questions. Thanks.

Go to the UNECOM reception Feb 10th and ask questions

I was hoping to get some feedback from current UNECOM students.

I was recently accepted to UNECOM and absolutely loved the school and as of now, it is my plan to attend.

However, I would like to hear from current students regarding what they like/dislike about the school and if overall, they are happy with their choice to attend.

I know a few pages back in this thread, there was some UNECOM bashing, especially from 1 particular current student who seems very unhappy with the school. Others spoke up that they did not agree with this student, but I still have some concerns.

Also, I am a bit worried about something ShyRem stated about UNECOM. She made this statement a year or 2 ago so it might no longer be the case, but she essentially stated that UNECOM provides NO prep for the boards. In fact, she gave them an "F" in this regard.

I was wondering if current students agree with this, or if UNECOM has made some changes to address this issue.

I also know that there have been some major shake-ups/changes in terms of the administration and faculty and I was wondering if these changes have improved various aspects of the school.

I know I am asking alot, but again, I really loved the school, but I want to make sure that there are no serious issues that should make me reconsider-and I think current students are in the best position to answer these questions. Thanks.

I have a mentor that is in her fourth year at UNECOM. I will ask her if it is ok to give you her email.

hey guys ...I applied to this school but never completed a secondary.... Should I fill out the secondary here considering it is Feb?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys ...I applied to this school but never completed a secondary.... Should I fill out the secondary here considering it is Feb?

They are still interviewing. If you want to attend medical school here that would be an advisable decision despite the reality that the end of the cycle is on the horizon.

They are still interviewing. If you want to attend medical school here that would be an advisable decision despite the reality that the end of the cycle is on the horizon.

Is anyone from UNE going to tell these students that UNE is accepting 50 more people then in previous years and that all of those people will be expected to participate in class via web cam. If you think I am joking, call the school and ask. Next year is going to be a disaster.

They are also considering sending 20 students to a single classroom in Bangor, 3 hours north of Biddeford, to spend the first two years. Did they mention that to you in your interviews?

Do the research, tell me i'm wrong.

I am not surprised. I did forewarn in prior posts they wanted to have a class size of 180+ with nowhere to put them. They have to pay for the dental school somehow, and UNE has a very low endowment with low COM alumni donations.

What does surprise me is they waited this long. Originally the plan was for class of 2014 to have 150+ and to add 20 students each year until they reached 250 students. That was the compromise when students had an absolute fit over increasing the class size to 250 in one year. And no, they had no plan of where to put them.

Is anyone from UNE going to tell these students that UNE is accepting 50 more people then in previous years and that all of those people will be expected to participate in class via web cam. If you think I am joking, call the school and ask. Next year is going to be a disaster.

They are also considering sending 20 students to a single classroom in Bangor, 3 hours north of Biddeford, to spend the first two years. Did they mention that to you in your interviews?

Do the research, tell me i'm wrong.

Where would someone find this information?

Where would someone find this information?

They have specifically kept this information from applicants (I wonder why?). If matriculating into a medical correspondence course bothers you I would call the admissions office and ask about their plans? If you don't want to make this call then I would rethink your decision to attend this university. Why would you attend a school where you don't feel comfortable calling the administration?

They have specifically kept this information from applicants (I wonder why?). If matriculating into a medical correspondence course bothers you I would call the admissions office and ask about their plans? If you don't want to make this call then I would rethink your decision to attend this university. Why would you attend a school where you don't feel comfortable calling the administration?

Every applicant or matriculating student should be asking why this information was shared at the time of interview or notification of acceptance. Professionalism is a hot topic at UNE right now and it seems the administration isn't practicing what it preaches.

Are you kidding me????

I am going to have to call UNE this Monday and figure out what is going on here, because this info has me VERY concerned.

As I mentioned, I was recently accepted to UNECOM and really loved the school. I have been giving very serious consideration to matriculating at this school, but this information was not even HINTED at during any part of the interview or information session.

Are you stating that even though UNECOM has sent me an acceptance letter which does not mention anything about any satelite program or any alternative program of any kind, they will are allowed to throw me in one of these alternative programs if I choose to matriculate? How can that be??

God I hope you are wrong, but I've got a bad feeling about this.

Are you stating that even though UNECOM has sent me an acceptance letter which does not mention anything about any satelite program or any alternative program of any kind, they will are allowed to throw me in one of these alternative programs if I choose to matriculate? How can that be??

Lets be very clear here. The administration presented this new "idea" to our class a few days ago. I don't know the legality behind sending you to a satellite campus without notifying you first, although if they really want to I guess they could at the risk of you not matriculating (read: not paying them). However, they are absolutely increasing the class size by 30%. When a girl in my class asked if they were going to have more classroom space, they said no. We will video stream it into another room. When asked if they had increased the number of clinical sites spots available to students they said they hadn't yet.

Obviously, they haven't done much of the leg work necessary to make this a reality. But if I were a prospective student I would sure want to know this information. If there are going to be 50 more people then chairs in the lecture hall. 50 more students then the professors can handle. 50 more people to manage through 4 years with already strained resources. Not to mention the fact that we have the "highest student indebtedness" in the country. One would think we would have the most resources not the least. But the reality of the situation is that we pay out the nose and get little in return.

Wow no mention of anything like this in any of my dealings with the school.

I don't completely have a problem with the video broadcast of the lectures as I know that is a practice used at at least one other school with class size greater than class space.

What really unnerves me is the other stuff you mentioned. Sending kids to a satellite campus without informing them that this is a possibility when they send an acceptance letter or receive your deposit.

I hope this was just a proposed idea.

Lets be very clear here. The administration presented this new "idea" to our class a few days ago. I don't know the legality behind sending you to a satellite campus without notifying you first, although if they really want to I guess they could at the risk of you not matriculating (read: not paying them). However, they are absolutely increasing the class size by 30%. When a girl in my class asked if they were going to have more classroom space, they said no. We will video stream it into another room. When asked if they had increased the number of clinical sites spots available to students they said they hadn't yet.

Obviously, they haven't done much of the leg work necessary to make this a reality. But if I were a prospective student I would sure want to know this information. If there are going to be 50 more people then chairs in the lecture hall. 50 more students then the professors can handle. 50 more people to manage through 4 years with already strained resources. Not to mention the fact that we have the "highest student indebtedness" in the country. One would think we would have the most resources not the least. But the reality of the situation is that we pay out the nose and get little in return.

Ok, I have tried to ignore some of your comments on this forum because you seem to have an agenda.
People on this forum are not children, at least I hope they aren't, and should be discerning enough to know that your comments are just blatant exaggeration of certain issues to cause mere panic and distrust for this school.
Does anyone really think that UNECOMs administration will simply make these decisions without informing incoming students? Seriously, THINK! Its just so implausible, it makes you seem like a highly disgruntled student looking for some type of revenge. That, 20 students will be shipped to a classroom in the middle of nowhere, without any planning nor the students consent to spend 2yrs there? To that I say, REALLY?... Have some respect for our intelligence and stop this nonsense. The school is not trying to hide anything from anyone ( http://www.une.edu/com/dean/address.cfm --> this issue is mentioned at about 55min) As Shyrem said, this has always been discussed but have you asked yourself if the reason for the delay in implementation could probably be due to PLANNING? And since when did first year students need clinical spots? The school has a whole 2yrs to work it out when they increase class sizes, so not having those sites at matriculation seems irrelevant to me!
Even MSUCOM has some of their students attending streamed lectures from their main campus to other campuses, so its not an entirely new nor unreasonable concept! (guess what? the students don't always have a choice on their campus location!)

I really feel bad for you because to attend a school everyday and to hate it this much, must really hurt! If you have issues with the schools admin I'm pretty sure there are better ways of dealing with it than ruining its reputation to prospective students. I'd hate to lose some awesome classmates due to your seeming bitterness! We all know, you included, that UNECOM is expensive and yet we still chose to attend, so enough about the cost of attendance already (be it 35k or 45k, we will all be indebted after school so make your peace with it!) Med school is tough, life is tough, nothing is easy, make the best of what you have and quietly graduate and stop poisoning the masses!

I think everyone here appreciates constructive criticism but what you put out here is just ridiculous sometimes. I mean, you have less than 10 posts in this forum and have mostly been negative! I personally know several students at UNE that love the school although they have some concerns as well (every school has its issues!!!). So "Truthteller" , resolve your differences with admin, or just suck it up and leave some of us to bask in our acceptance to a school we absolutely fell in love with! I am not naive and know there will be problems, but I sure as hell will deal with them in a better way to make my stay memorable.

Can't wait to START! theone1979, I hope to see you there so we can ride the medschool storm together! BradTech and FSD2015 too! :laugh:

Ok, I have tried to ignore some of your comments on this forum because you seem to have an agenda.
People on this forum are not children, at least I hope they aren't, and should be discerning enough to know that your comments are just blatant exaggeration of certain issues to cause mere panic and distrust for this school.
Does anyone really think that UNECOMs administration will simply make these decisions without informing incoming students? Seriously, THINK! Its just so implausible, it makes you seem like a highly disgruntled student looking for some type of revenge. That, 20 students will be shipped to a classroom in the middle of nowhere, without any planning nor the students consent to spend 2yrs there? To that I say, REALLY?... Have some respect for our intelligence and stop this nonsense. The school is not trying to hide anything from anyone ( http://www.une.edu/com/dean/address.cfm --> this issue is mentioned at about 55min) As Shyrem said, this has always been discussed but have you asked yourself if the reason for the delay in implementation could probably be due to PLANNING? And since when did first year students need clinical spots? The school has a whole 2yrs to work it out when they increase class sizes, so not having those sites at matriculation seems irrelevant to me!
Even MSUCOM has some of their students attending streamed lectures from their main campus to other campuses, so its not an entirely new nor unreasonable concept! (guess what? the students don't always have a choice on their campus location!)

I really feel bad for you because to attend a school everyday and to hate it this much, must really hurt! If you have issues with the schools admin I'm pretty sure there are better ways of dealing with it than ruining its reputation to prospective students. I'd hate to lose some awesome classmates due to your seeming bitterness! We all know, you included, that UNECOM is expensive and yet we still chose to attend, so enough about the cost of attendance already (be it 35k or 45k, we will all be indebted after school so make your peace with it!) Med school is tough, life is tough, nothing is easy, make the best of what you have and quietly graduate and stop poisoning the masses!

I think everyone here appreciates constructive criticism but what you put out here is just ridiculous sometimes. I mean, you have less than 10 posts in this forum and have mostly been negative! I personally know several students at UNE that love the school although they have some concerns as well (every school has its issues!!!). So "Truthteller" , resolve your differences with admin, or just suck it up and leave some of us to bask in our acceptance to a school we absolutely fell in love with! I am not naive and know there will be problems, but I sure as hell will deal with them in a better way to make my stay memorable.

Can't wait to START! theone1979, I hope to see you there so we can ride the medschool storm together! BradTech and FSD2015 too! :laugh:

If UNE is the only place you were accepted to, then great you now have a ticket to ride and congratulations. The point being made is that if you have multiple acceptances think carefully before choosing UNE. You have no idea what the impact will be on 2015 (your class) when the class size is expanded. UNE barely holds everything together at the current class size and an extra 30-50 people may be its breaking point. I'm not going to criticize you or anyone else for choosing to attend medical school here, but we would be doing a huge disservice to everyone in 2015 if we didn't notify you of these changes. These changes will directly impact the quality of your education.

Truth hurts and realizing the place you've just matriculated to sucks hurts even more. We have no choice but to take solace in the fact that we will be doctors one day and that UNE is our vehicle. As applicants, you aren't locked into that choice.

One last point, you've severely underestimated the magnitude of your debt once you leave this institution. 45K/yr is simply the cost of attendance. Unless you're extremely lucky, most of you will be taking out around 70K a year so you can pay for an apartment, food, utilities, previous bills and to put gas in your car. That is 280K and to say you need to make peace with it is ridiculous, especially since many of you are destine to be in primary care- the lowest paying job in medicine. We have clinical faculty who graduated many years ago still paying their UNE debt off b/c it is so difficult to make a living as a PCP. In an ideal world we wouldn’t worry about the debt, but back here in reality it’s a different situation.

So "Truthteller" , resolve your differences with admin, or just suck it up and leave some of us to bask in our acceptance to a school we absolutely fell in love with! I am not naive and know there will be problems, but I sure as hell will deal with them in a better way to make my stay memorable.

I'm so glad you wrote this post!

You're are absolutely correct that the people on this forum are not children. We are adults who require all the information possible to make this life changing decision. I find it hilarious that you think you can characterize my comments as "exaggerations" when you aren't even a student here. A number of my classmates have spoken with our faculty about the upcoming changes and they were not prepped for the change. They have mentioned in class that we are not ready for this, and they have many misgivings about sending students to a satellite campus. Now if they aren't on the planning committee then who is?

Your point about UNE administration making decisions without informing people is well taken. They do it all the time. A month ago the second year students were told that they were enrolled in a Kaplan course for after school ends, that costs $800. Was there any discussion or "information" sessions about that change. Minimal. Where did that $800 come from? It was taken from there grad plus loans. No discussion. But as you said, whats the difference, right? I mean we are all made of money so it's not a big deal I guess.

You are right about one thing. I do have an agenda on this forum. My agenda is to make sure that each of you can make an informed choice in choosing a medical school. Perhaps, my posts have been primarily negative. There is a reason for that. If you need someone to blow smoke and rainbows at you talk to some of the other people on this forum. I am here to give some straight talk about what it will be like when you get here. It is what you make of it, and if you are ok paying out the nose for some good and some bad then great. You go ahead and do that. But if you can get the same education, and dare I say a better one, for less money elsewhere. Then maybe you would want to look into that before matriculation.

If you are OK training at a satellite campus and you are OK watching lectures on a computer screen then UNE is the place for you. But wouldn't you want to be informed of that before you got here. You will spend four years here at UNE and they should be what you want them to be. You have that choice now. But to just resign yourself to the status quo before even matriculating makes you either a sheep or naive. Neither will make you a good doctor.

"Med school is tough, life is tough, nothing is easy, make the best of what you have and quietly graduate and stop poisoning the masses!" I will not be lectured by some overly positive, no nothing, pre-matriculant. You have no idea what it is like to be a student here, or why my perspective is this way. Being a realist is not poisoning, it is being practical. As I said before, if giant unsupported classes are your thing, and you want to go through medical school as a number be my guest. But some of us don't rollover onto our backs quite so easily.

The news of growing the class size by 30% came as a shock to the staff, faculty, and students at this institution. I was here to see that happen, were you?

I hope medical school is everything you want it to be, and when you get that letter that they are sending you to Bangor I hope you are excited. Bring a coat, it gets cold there.

If UNE is the only place you were accepted to, then great you now have a ticket to ride and congratulations. The point being made is that if you have multiple acceptances think carefully before choosing UNE. You have no idea what the impact will be on 2015 (your class) when the class size is expanded. UNE barely holds everything together at the current class size and an extra 30-50 people may be its breaking point. I'm not going to criticize you or anyone else for choosing to attend medical school here, but we would be doing a huge disservice to everyone in 2015 if we didn't notify you of these changes. These changes will directly impact the quality of your education.

Truth hurts and realizing the place you've just matriculated to sucks hurts even more. We have no choice but to take solace in the fact that we will be doctors one day and that UNE is our vehicle. As applicants, you aren't locked into that choice.

One last point, you've severely underestimated the magnitude of your debt once you leave this institution. 45K/yr is simply the cost of attendance. Unless you're extremely lucky, most of you will be taking out around 70K a year so you can pay for an apartment, food, utilities, previous bills and to put gas in your car. That is 280K and to say you need to make peace with it is ridiculous, especially since many of you are destine to be in primary care- the lowest paying job in medicine. We have clinical faculty who graduated many years ago still paying their UNE debt off b/c it is so difficult to make a living as a PCP. In an ideal world we wouldn’t worry about the debt, but back here in reality it’s a different situation.

The debt load is AN issue and I was not trying to underestimate its consequence in future. But if you read my post carefully, you would realize that it was meant to address TruthTeller's constant drumming of the issue. We are all aware of it! Thanks for letting us know what we already know! On to the next issue!
UNE cannot and will not hide the fact that class sizes are to be increased to incoming students! It would be unethical and unprofessional! You think they don't care about their reputation with forums like this in existence? All TruthTeller is doing is putting it out here before UNE does and making it seem as if UNE is some kind of clandestine institution.
With the debt, you can choose to pull your hair out over it or just deal with it. What if I have $280k in debt and someone from another COM has $200k? The difference is significant but how you handle that debt is entirely up to you! I could pay off my debt faster or be more frugal about my finances than the other person (regardless of specialty). If you look at some doctors out there, most are living way beyond their means and can barely handle their debts as a result! My point is, you've made a choice, you are stuck with it, what better to do than sit down and properly deal with the issue at hand? and more importantly pass on the knowledge from the experience.
I am pretty sure many people at UNE had multiple acceptances, myself included and yet chose to attend! So why not start planning ahead to deal with the consequences? You make it seem as if its a last resort school...for you maybe this holds but not for everyone!
Don't for a minute think that premeds like myself don't appreciate your efforts to "warn" us about certain things. But have you asked yourself, how someone with only a UNE acceptance will feel about fear mongering? I think that person will appreciate it more if you share your self devised ways of dealing with the challenges you face at UNE. I for one, will love to hear how some of you are coping with the classes that you believe are poorly/insufficiently taught than just telling me that that class sucks and that I should beware. All I am asking for is to use this forum as a way of sharing coping strategies, as well disseminating information but definitely not for JUST spewing your dissatisfaction with the school! It makes it hard for me to take you seriously! Why do you think SHYREM is such an influential person on this forum? She is thoughtful, informative, critical and above all shares her coping strategies on campus with others-->i.e she is BALANCED! Not to say she didn't have issues with the school but rather she dealt with it better and is forthcoming with how she did it!

So all I am asking is to be of SERVICE to us rather than try not to be of disservice to us! It makes a big difference. I'll like to remember you as the guy that taught me how to deal with this and that, rather than the guy that told me to not attend if I had a choice!

PS: Nobody at UNE is "destined" for primary care. Some choose it, others settle for yet still others strive for "higher"/personally suitable specialties. You have a choice!

You have a choice!

Alright, lets start over. I have been working with faculty, staff, and the administration to improve this school from day one. Without fail my classmates and I have run into a brick wall in just about every initiative we have taken. This is where my negativity stems from.

Let me tell you all something that I mean with absolute seriousness. There are a couple of ways that this scenario works out. Monday morning some of you call the admissions office and ask about all these things we have been discussing (class size, Bangor site, highest debt load in America).

Scenario #1: they tell you that it isn't an issue. Nothing is going to happen. Then each of you can come back on the forum and tell me I have been fear mongering. Then in June you get a letter that tells you exactly what I said is going to happen is in fact going to happen. This is a lose-lose situation.

Scenario #2: they tell you that it is going to happen and you can make an informed choice as to whether you want to matriculate here, and you come back on the forum to tell everyone what you have learned. This is a win-win.

Scenario #3: they tell you that it isn't an issue, and after they hang up the phone they scramble and put their plans on hold, because as you have pointed out it would be at best unprofessional and unethical to continue. Yet, still you come on the forum and tell me I am a liar. Fine. This is still a win.

What I want is for you to have all the information and to get a fair shake at a great medical school education. UNE is not supporting their students currently when it comes to board preparation in courses, or clinical site choices. This may be a matter of opinion, but it is mine. I have friends at medical schools across the country and many of them are receiving a better education. To survive here you have to be willing to do it all on your own. That is fact.

Please ask any of the current students who frequent this forum to share with you their strategies.

Alright, lets start over. I have been working with faculty, staff, and the administration to improve this school from day one. Without fail my classmates and I have run into a brick wall in just about every initiative we have taken. This is where my negativity stems from.

Let me tell you all something that I mean with absolute seriousness. There are a couple of ways that this scenario works out. Monday morning some of you call the admissions office and ask about all these things we have been discussing (class size, Bangor site, highest debt load in America).

Scenario #1: they tell you that it isn't an issue. Nothing is going to happen. Then each of you can come back on the forum and tell me I have been fear mongering. Then in June you get a letter that tells you exactly what I said is going to happen is in fact going to happen. This is a lose-lose situation.

Scenario #2: they tell you that it is going to happen and you can make an informed choice as to whether you want to matriculate here, and you come back on the forum to tell everyone what you have learned. This is a win-win.

Scenario #3: they tell you that it isn't an issue, and after they hang up the phone they scramble and put their plans on hold, because as you have pointed out it would be at best unprofessional and unethical to continue. Yet, still you come on the forum and tell me I am a liar. Fine. This is still a win.

What I want is for you to have all the information and to get a fair shake at a great medical school education. UNE is not supporting their students currently when it comes to board preparation in courses, or clinical site choices. This may be a matter of opinion, but it is mine. I have friends at medical schools across the country and many of them are receiving a better education. To survive here you have to be willing to do it all on your own. That is fact.

Please ask any of the current students who frequent this forum to share with you their strategies.

Was just reading your previous post when I saw the latest one so I guess I'll ignore it because to address the issues/insults(surprised!) raised will be a waster of time. To call me overly positive and know nothing, is funny and immensely immature of you. If you have listened to one thing I have said on this forum, your reply would have been much different! Look, I am not naive, quiet the opposite actually. Once I read posts from you sounding all negative all the time, it makes you lose all credibility. I don't think your agenda is bad or wrong but I think you will be much more effective if you took a different approach. If you subscribe to the notion that all premeds are naive or know nothing then its sad. There are times when you learn to be a sheep and other times refuse to be one, either way, there are wrong and right ways of going about it. I am actually glad that you have this honorable agenda of helping premeds but please be constructive about it! and some of us might actually join you in your cause or benefit from it.
I hate mis or lack of information and terrible administrations, perhaps just as much as you do. So I'll not settle for gross administrative malfeasance when it hurts my education. I WILL FIGHT IT! albeit in a different way. I hope you really understand me...

Oh you posted again...

Better Truthteller, much better! If you took a more tactical/thoughtful approach to getting the issue out rather than making it seem like you are fear mongering, I will begin to better appreciate your intentions . I understand increase in class size WILL be a problem if what you say is true but lets hope with better student awareness of the issue and persistent advocacy for better quality things might turn around!
I'd like to think that UNE is made up conscionable people who are not entirely out there for profit regardless of the consequences (this makes me naive? I think not). We can only hope that they plan properly and things get better in future. Maybe I personally like to have a positive outlook on things and strive to make them better no matter what! (as a current student or alumni). So I appreciate your efforts to change things and I hope you don't give-up on the institution because it seems you have.
I sincerely hope that you are dealing well with the current situation and making the best of it. There is really no other way!

Very enlightening discussion. Wish I had been better informed before cancelling two interviews...

Okay here it goes....

Personally I have no agenda here. I am not going to UNE. But if I were you, I'd appreciate what truthteller is saying. So many people at med schools cover up all the bad things that go on, and you don't realize it until you get ther... Obviously truthteller felt this way about the school. He sees it is his duty to give everyone here BOTH sides of the situation. I feel like your are being extremely condescending to someone who actually knows what i going on... You DO NOT go to the school, and thus really have absolutely no idea of anything at all. You know what they want you to know, and every school is going to sell itself in the best possible way. Personally, my only dealings with UNE have come from a friend that goes there for undergrad... Some of the things she has dealt with going there are insane to me. It seems the entire administration there is subpar... So while I would take criticism with a grain of salt, I would also take it into consideration...

Okay here it goes....

Personally I have no agenda here. I am not going to UNE. But if I were you, I'd appreciate what truthteller is saying. So many people at med schools cover up all the bad things that go on, and you don't realize it until you get ther... Obviously truthteller felt this way about the school. He sees it is his duty to give everyone here BOTH sides of the situation. I feel like your are being extremely condescending to someone who actually knows what i going on... You DO NOT go to the school, and thus really have absolutely no idea of anything at all. You know what they want you to know, and every school is going to sell itself in the best possible way. Personally, my only dealings with UNE have come from a friend that goes there for undergrad... Some of the things she has dealt with going there are insane to me. It seems the entire administration there is subpar... So while I would take criticism with a grain of salt, I would also take it into consideration...

Did I ever say I did not appreciate what he saying? No. Rather, his tone is not serving his agenda well (at least not to me)...thats all! I very much appreciate knowing stuff about the school I am going to attend! Maybe if I am not clear enough...THANKS TruthTeller, I know you are passionate about this but please tone it down a bit and surely DON'T STOP.

Woo hoo. Finally denied admission. Such a relief to finally hear it.

First thanks you both truth and dunaa. I have been accepted last year to matriculate for 2015 at another school but wanted to reapply to my top choice, UNE.

Truth, what did you see in the school when you applied and why did you choose to martriculate? Also did you choose UNE over another school? What else do you feel is necessary for board prep besides a kapplan course? After my interview at UNE I felt strongly about the faculty. Am I misguided or is your quarrel mostly with the administration? Finally where do your friends from other medical schools attend so I may research some of the differences?

I really appreciate the discussion. ~Sam

First thanks you both truth and dunaa. I have been accepted last year to matriculate for 2015 at another school but wanted to reapply to my top choice, UNE.

Truth, what did you see in the school when you applied and why did you choose to martriculate? Also did you choose UNE over another school? What else do you feel is necessary for board prep besides a kapplan course? After my interview at UNE I felt strongly about the faculty. Am I misguided or is your quarrel mostly with the administration? Finally where do your friends from other medical schools attend so I may research some of the differences?

I really appreciate the discussion. ~Sam

Hey UncleSam, you are welcome! Here is an example of a review from a current student posted today/yesterday that presents a more balanced and useful assessment of the school - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=796163. I can't say for others but when I first stepped in UNE for my interview, I felt I belonged. I spoke with current students and most loved their school and others had some concerns. This is the same at every school I interviewed--everyone has concerns! My mantra, was "Go where you feel most comfortable" and thus I choose UNE over my 2 other acceptances (i.e, Touro-NY and KCUMB)

When I interviewed at UNE I was told that students were apart of a community and that the school was a cohesive unit. After matriculating I didn't find that to be the case. Obviously, you will find a small group of people you can depend on, but the university is anything but a community.

I did choose UNE over a few other schools, and based most of my decision on geography. I really didn't want to leave New England.

When I say that we don't have enough board prep I should clarify. The Kaplan course, although poorly planned, will be a great help. What I am referring to is that the classes we take, specifically in the second year, are taught by professors who have no idea what is one the boards. Routinely we have to learn one thing for class and one thing for the boards. That is incredibly frustrating. Daily I have to learn about drugs no longer in use, or ages for cancers that are now different, and there are many many things that they teach that are not on the boards at the expense of things that are on the boards. Unfortunately, the board exam is the bar to which we will be tested, quite literally (for better or for worse), and we should be taught to do well on the test. I don't think that happens here without enough frequency.

This is where I quarrel with the faculty and the administration. This is where much of my frustration comes from with the institution. But this is coupled with the lack of resources that the other student eluded to from Dunaa's post. We get no perks, a mediocre education, and a sub-par preparation for boards. Sugar coat it all you want, that is the case. I think the other students points are right on as well. WE do have an outstanding anatomy and physiology program here. But that is balanced by a hefty dose of the ridiculous from other departments.

Which is exactly why I worry when they say they are expanding class sizes by 30-50 people next year. How will this already strained system cope? My guess is at the expense of the students education. The one thing that should be sacrosanct.

I have friends at PCOM, Midwestern, Dartmouth, Tufts, UVM, and Univ. of Wisconsin. Each school has their problems, but I would say none as severe as here at UNECOM.

What else Sam? I will be happy to tell you more.

Dunaa, did you call and ask the questions?

When I interviewed at UNE I was told that students were apart of a community and that the school was a cohesive unit. After matriculating I didn't find that to be the case. Obviously, you will find a small group of people you can depend on, but the university is anything but a community.

I did choose UNE over a few other schools, and based most of my decision on geography. I really didn't want to leave New England.

When I say that we don't have enough board prep I should clarify. The Kaplan course, although poorly planned, will be a great help. What I am referring to is that the classes we take, specifically in the second year, are taught by professors who have no idea what is one the boards. Routinely we have to learn one thing for class and one thing for the boards. That is incredibly frustrating. Daily I have to learn about drugs no longer in use, or ages for cancers that are now different, and there are many many things that they teach that are not on the boards at the expense of things that are on the boards. Unfortunately, the board exam is the bar to which we will be tested, quite literally (for better or for worse), and we should be taught to do well on the test. I don't think that happens here without enough frequency.

This is where I quarrel with the faculty and the administration. This is where much of my frustration comes from with the institution. But this is coupled with the lack of resources that the other student eluded to from Dunaa's post. We get no perks, a mediocre education, and a sub-par preparation for boards. Sugar coat it all you want, that is the case. I think the other students points are right on as well. WE do have an outstanding anatomy and physiology program here. But that is balanced by a hefty dose of the ridiculous from other departments.

Which is exactly why I worry when they say they are expanding class sizes by 30-50 people next year. How will this already strained system cope? My guess is at the expense of the students education. The one thing that should be sacrosanct.

I have friends at PCOM, Midwestern, Dartmouth, Tufts, UVM, and Univ. of Wisconsin. Each school has their problems, but I would say none as severe as here at UNECOM.

What else Sam? I will be happy to tell you more.

Dunaa, did you call and ask the questions?

I was already aware of the planned increases. I knew they were coming but was unaware of how feasible or prepared the school was for it. I never thought you were lying because that will be pretty malicious of you. My only problem was the "TONE" and seeming bad intention (i.e towards the school) of your previous posts. I would definitely like to see some of the issues you have raised addressed and I am confident you guys have sowed the necessary seeds for us to continue with the "fight". For that Thank you!
I just wish their intention to expand was communicated earlier although its still subject to COCA approval. They are however telling current interviewees about the issue as I have surmised from a few people who have interviewed there. I however believe no one will be forced to do something (i.e go to some obscure campus) without their consent and have been assured of that. If they receive COCA approval and what you say is true and if COCA does it due deligence then I believe an approval for expansion will come with conditions that assures extra students can be properly catered to properly. Lets keep our fingers :xf: i guess!

At my interview the admin and ambassadors made no mention of the planned increase during their presentations. When someone in my group asked a student they were told "yeah its going to happen" and they also said that they were worried that the school wouldn't be able to handle it since there were no plans for expansion. Now that this whole webcam thing has been brought to light, it all seems to be making sense now. No offense, but I think that the least a school can do is make sure there are enough seats in a classroom for all their students.

I agree with previous posts that this schools admin does seem a little shady and the fact that they ignore the very people who they are serving, the students,just doesn't seem worth taking the chance of going here...that combined with the outrageous tuition of course. I am lucky enough to have other options and will be withdrawing my seat...or theoretical seat since apparently I'm not guaranteed an actual real life "seat" since there aren't enough chairs for everyone.

This school is really doing some damage to its reputation. We have a few new residents from UNE at the hospital I work at and they said that they are happy they got out of there before the admin runs it into the ground.:(

I however believe no one will be forced to do something (i.e go to some obscure campus) without their consent and have been assured of that.

I have been assured of this as well. To those still questioning what may or may not happen, I suggest you call or email Admissions to get an official response. Obviously, we all need to be well-informed applicants because choosing a school is a very important decision - but it's your responsibility to speak up. I personally loved UNECOM on interview day and am excited to see many of you there in August!

So, the inevitable question is, does anyone have any more information on whether these video lectures will happen or not, and when the class "n" will increase?:confused:

So, the inevitable question is, does anyone have any more information on whether these video lectures will happen or not, and when the class "n" will increase?:confused:

I recently spoke at length with someone at UNECOM and would be happy to share what I have learned.

I can confirm that video lectures will indeed take place next year IF the school is approved for an increase in class size.

Here is the deal-UNECOM has requested approval to increase it's class size. They will find out in April if they have been approved, but it seems extremely likely that they will get this approval.

Assuming they get approval, they will add about 35 students to the class entering this fall. Unfortunately, the lecture hall at UNECOM is not large enough to accommodate the extra students. UNECOM therefore plans to pipe a live-feed of the lecture into an adjacent classroom, and those students who cannot get a seat in the lecture hall will watch the live-feed of this lecture in the adjacent classroom.

I will be the first to admit that this is not an ideal situation. I really loved UNECOM when I visited, and this is not a deal-breaker for me, but I admit that I am not thrilled with the idea that I may not be able to attend the "live" lecture. Unfortunately, I am not sure that UNECOM has any other options. The lecture hall simply is not large enough to accommodate the extra students.
As of now, I am not sure anyone knows how the school will determine who gets to attend the live lecture, and who will attend the live-feed. It may be on a first come, first serve basis, or they may work it out some other way.

Let me also add that there is NO truth to the rumor that students may be forced to attend classes up in Bangor, or at any other off-campus site for that matter. For this coming fall, all students will attend classes at the Biddeford campus.

Also, bear in mind that the whole "live-feed" issue only pertains to the full-class lectures. Smaller courses such as labs will not be changed.

I encourage anyone who has any further questions to get in touch with UNECOM directly. They are quite eager to clear this matter up, and will answer all questions honestly and directly.

I hope this helps answer some of the questions some of you may have. Again, I really loved UNECOM and I hate to think that this school may lose some amazing applicants due to these rumors.

The fact of the matter is UNE should NOT be increasing class size unless they have enough space for EVERY student in the lecture hall. This is nothing more than a money making scheme for the school and now I know for sure, I am DEFINITELY giving up my acceptance. I am not waiting around until April to find out if I can get into the lecture hall. If they were going to lower tuition, then I could understand, but still this increase in students combined with this schools crumbling reputation is enough for me to say "adios" UNE, and to those who have more than one acceptance, I would encourage you to do the same!

The fact of the matter is UNE should NOT be increasing class size unless they have enough space for EVERY student in the lecture hall. This is nothing more than a money making scheme for the school and now I know for sure, I am DEFINITELY giving up my acceptance. I am not waiting around until April to find out if I can get into the lecture hall. If they were going to lower tuition, then I could understand, but still this increase in students combined with this schools crumbling reputation is enough for me to say "adios" UNE, and to those who have more than one acceptance, I would encourage you to do the same!

You are speaking pretty definitively for someone who is clearly just speculating. Nothing more than a money making scheme?? What exactly are you basing that bold claim upon?

Has it occurred to you that one of the main goals of the proposed increase in class size is to halt the ever-increasing tuition? UNECOM is very much aware that their tuition is sky-high, and that they cannot continue to increase the tuition by 6% every year. By increasing the class size, they are seeking to halt these increases.

Again, I do agree that the video-feed issue is somewhat concerning, but in the grand scheme of things, it is a very small part of the medical school education.

Obviously it is a bigger deal for you-that's fine. Honestly, if this is a big issue for you than you absolutely should not attend this school. Everyone will have to make up their own minds on this matter, but they should base this decision on the facts. Declaring this is all "just a money-making scheme" is not a fact.

You are speaking pretty definitively for someone who is clearly just speculating. Nothing more than a money making scheme?? What exactly are you basing that bold claim upon?

Has it occurred to you that one of the main goals of the proposed increase in class size is to halt the ever-increasing tuition? UNECOM is very much aware that their tuition is sky-high, and that they cannot continue to increase the tuition by 6% every year. By increasing the class size, they are seeking to halt these increases.

Again, I do agree that the video-feed issue is somewhat concerning, but in the grand scheme of things, it is a very small part of the medical school education.

Obviously it is a bigger deal for you-that's fine. Honestly, if this is a big issue for you than you absolutely should not attend this school. Everyone will have to make up their own minds on this matter, but they should base this decision on the facts. Declaring this is all "just a money-making scheme" is not a fact.

Come on...you can't ignore the obvious. This school's admin is known for their shady practices. I tend to doubt that they are going to stop the tuition increases with this expansion. At the undergrad level they do similar tuition increases every year...and I know this for sure as I am close friends with a UNE undergrad. This school has a solid base to draw money from. And adding 30 students isn't going to bring in enough money to make a notable difference in the grand scheme of this schools financial's.

The fact of the matter is this school is unprepared for any class increases and I hope AACOM shoots them down. Also, this webcasting info isn't being shared by the school unless you call up and pry it out of them...doesn't that tell you something? Doesn't that just seem a little off? Kind of like they're trying to hide something? Don't ignore the writing on the wall just because you want peace of mind you made the right decision to go here. This school's admin is destroying the little bit of reputation this school has in the northeast and actions like these are just making the osteopathic degree less respected, which is something that everyone who is going to be a DO needs to be concerned with.

Interesting. When I was there, there was absolutely NO discussion of halting tuition increases when class size increased. In fact, the long-term projection included increasing class size AND a 6% tuition increase every year for 10 years.

President Ripich wanted the money to help pay for her dental school. She was told she had to have so much cash in hand and buildings in place before she would get preliminary approval for the dental school to open. The discussions stated quite clearly that they refused to increase undergraduate tuition or size, but that medical students would likely go for video classes given so many students skipped class and studied at home.

Granted, these discussions were one to three years ago. There is that possibility that their attitudes have changed given the COM has a new Dean, but Ripich is still President of UNE. And I can guarantee if you ask specifically about what I stated they will emphatically deny it. If I had $5 for every time they denied issues my class raised that later came to pass, I could have easily paid for a chunk of my med school debt.

Come on...you can't ignore the obvious. This school's admin is known for their shady practices. I tend to doubt that they are going to stop the tuition increases with this expansion. At the undergrad level they do similar tuition increases every year...and I know this for sure as I am close friends with a UNE undergrad. This school has a solid base to draw money from. And adding 30 students isn't going to bring in enough money to make a notable difference in the grand scheme of this schools financial's.

The fact of the matter is this school is unprepared for any class increases and I hope AACOM shoots them down. Also, this webcasting info isn't being shared by the school unless you call up and pry it out of them...doesn't that tell you something? Doesn't that just seem a little off? Kind of like they're trying to hide something? Don't ignore the writing on the wall just because you want peace of mind you made the right decision to go here. This school's admin is destroying the little bit of reputation this school has in the northeast and actions like these are just making the osteopathic degree less respected, which is something that everyone who is going to be a DO needs to be concerned with.

Do you really think that UNECOM is the only med school in the country that does this?

I have a few friends from undergrad who go to an MD school in which the facilities aren't big enough to house all the students. Every time they have a mandatory large lecture they have to broadcast it live to another room. Unless you are the type to constantly ask questions, being one of the 35 extra students in the adjacent room is the least troubling thing about the decision.

I am more worried about how this is going to affect Anatomy and OMM lab right away. For example, does this mean there will now be an extra person at each body? It might get pretty crowded in there. I also worry about how they will accomadate for this growth during 3rd and 4th year rotations.

It is also a little upsetting that they haven't made this announcement publicly. When I went on my interview I asked how big the classrooms are and made a comment on how that must limit class size. They responded with a yes, granted that was back in the beginning of december so they might not have known about it then.

Good luck with where ever you choose to go.

Interesting. When I was there, there was absolutely NO discussion of halting tuition increases when class size increased. In fact, the long-term projection included increasing class size AND a 6% tuition increase every year for 10 years.

President Ripich wanted the money to help pay for her dental school. She was told she had to have so much cash in hand and buildings in place before she would get preliminary approval for the dental school to open. The discussions stated quite clearly that they refused to increase undergraduate tuition or size, but that medical students would likely go for video classes given so many students skipped class and studied at home.

Granted, these discussions were one to three years ago. There is that possibility that their attitudes have changed given the COM has a new Dean, but Ripich is still President of UNE. And I can guarantee if you ask specifically about what I stated they will emphatically deny it. If I had $5 for every time they denied issues my class raised that later came to pass, I could have easily paid for a chunk of my med school debt.

Hmmm.....Well I can tell you that I did ask specifically about whether the increase in class size was intended to help pay for the dental school.
The answer I was given was that the 2 were in NO way connected. I was assured that the dental school was going to be funded from other sources and that in no way was the additional tuition revenue from the increased med school enrollment going to be used to fund the dental school.

So...you are correct that UNECOM has denied this point, the question is whether they are denying it because it isn't true, or if they are denying it for less kosher reasons (I am inclined to believe the former, but I suppose anything is possible).

I sincerely hope that I was given accurate information, because as I said, I asked this question directly and was given an emphatic answer.

As you mentioned, the discussions you were part of were several years ago so it is totally possible that things have changed.

As for the tuition increases, I will be dissapointed if tuition continues to increase since the primary justification which has been given to raise class size is to halt these increases.

And SHYREM, it seems like your recent posts regarding UNECOM have taken a turn for the negative. Is there any specific reason for this?

I again encourage anyone who has concerns to contact the school directly instead of listening to rumors and conjecture.

I would be more worried about rotation slots than having a class to sit in. The rotation problem is 2 years away, but still something to consider seriously.

As for everyone freaking out about not having a class room to sit in. I highly doubt that many people will attend lecture after the first few weeks. Everyone at a non-mandatory attendance med school that I know of (MD, DO) does not go to class if their school broadcasts the lectures. They wake up at 2pm, and set their own schedule. So even if you are assigned this other classroom, you will probably get to sit in the normal one.

Also, the fact the administration isnt mentioning it to current interviewees is maybe because those 35 "adjacent classroom" students will be those they offer acceptances off the waitlist come april. If i was in the situation where i had to choose between reapply next year, and attend UNECOM in the adjacent classroom (when in reality i can probably just sit in the actual one, or even better, watch the lecture from home), it would be an easy choice.

I'm not trying to defend anyone here but these arguments on these types of issues polarize quickly, so I just wanted to throw out some things to consider.