This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's the joke.

That's some sophisticated joke making.

You got me good.

Had to pull out my TI-87

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
That's the joke.
I was hoping it was, but I've learned it's better to ask despite being in medical school (and the further away from the initial joke you get). It's concerning how many people in my class consider logarithms and exponents to be "higher level mathematics" and I was baffled by the student asking for a formula sheet for seven pharm "equations"...four of which came from three basic equations or ideas. It's weird because I know the MCAT required basic mental math.

Reactions: 1 user
No offense , but why do you continue to visit and make posts on a forum for student doctors if you are so happy with your new life? This, coupled with the fact that you felt the need to divulge your current income, suggests that you feel regret for quitting medicine.
The Fox and the Grapes - Wikipedia

"Rather than admit his failure to reach the grapes, the fox rationalizes that they are not really desirable."

Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really only see two scenarios here:

1) The OP may or may not be as happy as she claims, but she wants to pop back in now and then to let others, who are often few in number and often told to keep going, that you can leave medical school and get your life in line in another direction (maybe something like the original thread could be pinned with other posts like this so the OP can update in the same thread, but also, so people looking for it can find it without using the search). Being open about what happened to her loans is a fair thing and shouldn't be knocked. It would be misleading to tell others considering life outside of medicine that she dropped out and paid off her own loans with the job she mentioned-- unless that actually happened. Bottom line: OP could want to let others know that there are people who leave medicine and get a job elsewhere and feel happier than when they were in school.

2) The OP isn't happy and wants reassurance. If this is the case, why let it bother you? You could offer support or let the thread die instead of getting in your two cents that make you feel good about yourself. If the OP isn't happy, what do you get out of trying to bash her (aside from your internet buddies liking your posts and confirming that you're the biggest kid on the playground)? Bottom line: why kick someone when you think they're down? Why not just ignore it if you don't like it?

I think 1 is far more likely than 2, but that's just my opinion. I don't see why OP would come to a forum filled with people who are usually hypercritical to look for reassurance instead of people who would likely support her.

Yeah I agree with both these scenarios..and you know what, if she wants to let people know an out is possible, let her. If she is unhappy and wants reassurance then let her try. But the OP clearly had to take care of her own mental health, and we should all recognize that as important=]

Reactions: 1 users
"If you have any questions just leave a comment below..."

COMMENTS DISABLED FOR THIS VIDEO

:thinking:

What if OP is an alien troll from the planet Trollanus, galaxy Gunner Way with the chief goal of convincing med students to leave medicine, thereby thinning the application cycle of med students. Meanwhile, OP (aka Alien) applies to all the Derm, Ortho, Opthalmology and Urology residencies she can find...

Reactions: 3 users
Do you blame her for disabling comments?

After seeing all the mad (jack) haters in this thread, I probably would as well.

Pun intended.

If someone can't take criticism, they probably shouldn't post things on the internet.

Reactions: 4 users
Do you blame her for disabling comments?

After seeing all the mad (jack) haters in this thread, I probably would as well.

Pun intended.

The internet is a wonderful thing... It allows you to be a "hater" without any direct implication to your character. Save me the bull crap about self-riotousness and how future doctors can't have opinions bc we're supposed to be altruistic to the core! The internet lets you present your opinion without political correctness forcing you into the poor house (provided you remain anonymous). The OP didn't get the memo, however. Now she exposes herself to almost a lifetime of being known as the girl on SDN who was flogged.

If someone can't take criticism, they probably shouldn't post things on the internet.

We agree on your point that one should be open to criticism.

However, much of what is contained in this thread would be better characterized as angry or bitter attempts at putting the OP down rather than actually critiquing the decision process that led her to her current state.

The internet is a wonderful thing... It allows you to be a "hater" without any direct implication to your character. Save me the bull crap about self-riotousness and how future doctors can't have opinions bc we're supposed to be altruistic to the core! The internet lets you present your opinion without political correctness forcing you into the poor house (provided you remain anonymous). The OP didn't get the memo, however. Now she exposes herself to almost a lifetime of being known as the girl on SDN who was flogged.

I think she gets extra points for not hiding behind an anonymous screen name.

I am sure she knows that there would be quite a bit of backlash to throwing up the deuces to medicine, especially on a website meant to help students become doctors.

Pretty balsy, and I kind of respect her for that.

I think she gets extra points for not hiding behind an anonymous screen name.

I am sure she knows that there would be quite a bit of backlash to throwing up the deuces to medicine, especially on a website meant to help students become doctors.

Pretty balsy, and I kind of respect her for that.

I'll agree it was ballsy, yet foolish.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiousiry , how many people dropped from your 1st year class or so far period . We start my class with 325 then we went down to 300ish

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I just don't understand why there is a need to continually repost video/things that have already been said. Original post was good ("I quit and I am happy"), but repeated posting seems a bit attention-seeking.

Because personality disorders...

That's some sophisticated joke making.

You got me good.

Had to pull out my TI-87

No wonder you didn't get it right away. Everyone knows you need a TI-89 to chart those punchlines.

I feel you, OP. I'm planning on quitting medicine 2-3 years after the end of my residency.

most of our drops occured after fall, many due to failing biochem, then along the winter we lost a few, and we lost a few at mid way through second year. Nah, DO school
Rough estimate of 20ish people leaving your school comes out to about a 7%ish attrition rate-- biochem must be brutal. Do you think it's because the students possibly didn't have exposure to biochem prior or other reasons?

Rough estimate of 20ish people leaving your school comes out to about a 7%ish attrition rate-- biochem must be brutal. Do you think it's because the students possibly didn't have exposure to biochem prior or other reasons?

It is brutal and we only have two exams in it. At the same time we have physiology micro and pharmacology going on along with path so it's a lot. Bio chem takes time to understand and you can't just memorize your way through and a lot of people forget that. This years 1st years had many more drop than we did . I want to stay there at least down in the 290s. The issue is we accept a wide variety in age. From super young and straight out of undergrad and they're not really mature yet to understand what it takes, two people who are in their mid-30s who have families and other things going on so they don't commit the time. The more I go to school the more I realize the MCAT does not predict success whatsoever.

Which is why the disable button works.
For people who do not want to be on the receiving end of unwanted comments.

I dont think its fair to disregard people who want to avoid toxicity while at the same time share their views/experiences.

Its just like life. You can always walk away.

Which is why the disable button works.
For people who do not want to be on the receiving end of unwanted comments.

I dont think its fair to disregard people who want to avoid toxicity while at the same time share their views/experiences.

Its just like life. You can always walk away.

What benefit does that give the OP then? They post online with the intention of interacting with anonymous people. Disabling comments defeats the purpose entirely.

I always wonder what happens to people, so I'm glad OP came back and updated.

I feel you, OP. I'm planning on quitting medicine 2-3 years after the end of my residency.
This brings up an interesting idea.

Do you believe we have a responsibility as providers to continue to contribute to the healthcare of the U.S. given that we are investments for the healthcare of the country? Will you continue to use your medical degree?

It is brutal and we only have two exams in it. At the same time we have physiology micro and pharmacology going on along with path so it's a lot. Bio chem takes time to understand and you can't just memorize your way through and a lot of people forget that. This years 1st years had many more drop than we did . I want to stay there at least down in the 290s. The issue is we accept a wide variety in age. From super young and straight out of undergrad and they're not really mature yet to understand what it takes, two people who are in their mid-30s who have families and other things going on so they don't commit the time. The more I go to school the more I realize the MCAT does not predict success whatsoever.

Thanks for the info, that really puts things into perspective. I appreciate it

Thanks for the info, that really puts things into perspective. I appreciate it
Not sure if you really mean that or its sarcasm ( can never tell anymore on this site ha) but thats what ive noticed at my school at least. Could be different in other schools

Not sure if you really mean that or its sarcasm ( can never tell anymore on this site ha) but thats what ive noticed at my school at least. Could be different in other schools
It wasn't sarcasm hahaha! I was genuinely appreciative of your perspective/experience

In the past two days, my previous video (So, I Left Medical School --- see my recent post) got almost 1,000 views. So, I recorded a new one- with details on what it's been like after surrendering the dream of becoming a doctor because, clearly, people are curious.

If it's relevant to you, check it out:

Bye! :horns:
RP

Are we on snapchat or is this still SDN?

The videos are fine, but would you be able to reply to messages without videos as well?

This is getting weird.

Reactions: 11 users
The need for external validation is cringe-worthy

Reactions: 8 users
In the past two days, my previous video (So, I Left Medical School --- see my recent post) got almost 1,000 views. So, I recorded a new one- with details on what it's been like after surrendering the dream of becoming a doctor because, clearly, people are curious.

If it's relevant to you, check it out:

Bye! :horns:
RP

You've packed on a few lbs since the last video...

faced with the overwhelmingly negative response to the last bizarrely self-promoting entry, RP had to make the tough decision whether to move on or double down.

it was a judgment call.

Reactions: 6 users
While we are on this...

Why do they call it Ovaltine? The mug is round. The jar is round. They should call it Roundtine.

Reactions: 12 users
Are we on snapchat or is this still SDN?

The videos are fine, but would you be able to reply to messages without videos as well?

This is getting weird.

You've packed on a few lbs since the last video...

Here's the reality of online anonymous forums - people will try to make cute comments like this to get a bunch of likes and have their 5 seconds of fame. If you wouldn't make these comments to someone in person, don't make them here as you hide under the veil of anonymity. There are real people behind these accounts.

Your story is important and you are brave for sharing. Medicine can have a toxic culture at times that we don't like to talk about. The part where you said that you would still love to be a physician but "[you] can't handle the pressures of this system without being an unhealthy person" speaks volumes. Many of us sacrifice our personal health for the health of others which is not always sustainable in the long run. The only suggestion I have is to try your best to avoid being standoffish about the comments you are receiving. While there are plenty of immature class clowns and bullies, people like you can be a source of support for those who may be looking for a way out of medicine but are unsure about the consequences of this decision and may not have support from loved ones. This is especially important for those who may be having intrusive thoughts and could use some support.

Congratulations for pursuing your passions through alternate avenues and I wish you all the best.

Reactions: 10 users
Here's the reality of online anonymous forums - people will try to make cute comments like this to get a bunch of likes and have their 5 seconds of fame. If you wouldn't make these comments to someone in person, don't make them here as you hide under the veil of anonymity. There are real people behind these accounts.

Your story is important and you are brave for sharing. Medicine can have a toxic culture at times that we don't like to talk about. The part where you said that you would still love to be a physician but "[you] can't handle the pressures of this system without being an unhealthy person" speaks volumes. Many of us sacrifice our personal health for the health of others which is not always sustainable in the long run. The only suggestion I have is to try your best to avoid being standoffish about the comments you are receiving. While there are plenty of immature class clowns and bullies, people like you can be a source of support for those who may be looking for a way out of medicine but are unsure about the consequences of this decision and may not have support from loved ones. This is especially important for those who may be having intrusive thoughts and could use some support.

Congratulations for pursuing your passions through alternate avenues and I wish you all the best.

I was actually emphatic to her in the original thread. This thread reeks of attention seeking.

Now, I just need some premed to come in here and start calling all of us bums for not working.

Interesting thread, questionable execution.

Would have been better formatted as an AMA.

I was actually emphatic to her in the original thread. This thread reeks of attention seeking.

Now, I just need some premed to come in here and start calling all of us bums for not working.

What are you saying? Your response doesn't justify your original comment. Post a picture of yourself and let us make some "objective observations".

What are you saying? Your response doesn't justify your original comment. Post a picture of yourself and let us make some "objective observations".

When you're seeking attention, you will get the good with the bad. I'm not the one posting videos for every posts and threads.

When you're seeking attention, you will get the good with the bad. I'm not the one posting videos for every posts and threads.

Are you really arguing that her posting a video about leaving medical school warrants your comment? You can't be serious.

Are you really arguing that her posting a video about leaving medical school warrants your comment? You can't be serious.
Alright, guys. This is me! Objective observations are welcome...
maxresdefault.jpg