Transferring GI Bill to dependents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

kitty cat yin yang
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, this forum is awesome.

So I am currently active duty enlisted. God willing, I will ets and transition to IRR as an O-1E in HPSP in the summer. Do I need to transfer my GI bill to my dependents before that happens (assuming I am eligible to do that), or will I be able to transfer it to them once I come back onto active duty after med school? I was hoping to keep it in case I needed to double dip, but the goal would be to save it for them.

Members don't see this ad.

So you need to have a few years left on contract to transfer benefits. I don't know how HPSP works into that since you will have a contract, but you're not active (maybe someone else can chime in?). As long as you have I believe 6 years in service with i think 2-3+ years left, you can. If you already did 6+ and are in HPSP, you can sign it virtually any time I think, be it now or waiting until youre in school or residency, etc. If you only did 1 enlistment for the regular 4 (or 5 if flight), then you can't yet, but can eventually.

I wouldn't worry about double dipping as HPSP pays 100% of tuition, everything required by the school/for the degree, and pays a nice stipend, so you'll be well covered.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve been in for 6.5 and will have been in for 7 when I start med school. I just wasn’t sure if I’d lose the ability to transfer it since I’m technically going into the IRR and not coming back on AD for 4 years.

As for double dipping, HPSP pays tuition, but $2500/month is not enough to support a spouse and two kids lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been in for 6.5 and will have been in for 7 when I start med school. I just wasn’t sure if I’d lose the ability to transfer it since I’m technically going into the IRR and not coming back on AD for 4 years.

As for double dipping, HPSP pays tuition, but $2500/month is not enough to support a spouse and two kids lol.

Actually just had a good discussion on this with some of my soldiers and newer O3’s:

You will not lose the ability to transfer. You have over 6 years and it’s mandated you agree to at least 4 more for the transfer. Being in HPSP secures that notion, but to avoid splitting hairs and TOS for the transfer, keep it for yourself if you wish to use it and do the transfer once you hit the magic “10” yr TOS.

If you try to transfer now, the possibility of your contract being altered by someone in HRC (or the Navy equivalent) grows tremendously. The confusion is your under HPSP and IRR. They could easily tack on 4 years on top of your HPSP obligation instead of acknowledging your current commitment fulfilling the ability to transfer your benefits.

Transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill to Spouse and Dependents - Education and Training

Your in a gray area, but the fundamental assessments on this reference should assure you that you won’t lose the ability to transfer, I’d just wait til you start your AD service obligation once again after schooling.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually just had a good discussion on this with some of my soldiers and newer O3’s:

You will not lose the ability to transfer. You have over 6 years and it’s mandated you agree to at least 4 more for the transfer. Being in HPSP secures that notion, but to avoid splitting hairs and TOS for the transfer, keep it for yourself if you wish to use it and do the transfer once you hit the magic “10” yr TOS.

If you try to transfer now, the possibility of your contract being altered by someone in HRC (or the Navy equivalent) grows tremendously. The confusion is your under HPSP and IRR. They could easily tack on 4 years on top of your HPSP obligation instead of acknowledging your current commitment fulfilling the ability to transfer your benefits.

Transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill to Spouse and Dependents - Education and Training

Your in a gray area, but the fundamental assessments on this reference should assure you that you won’t lose the ability to transfer, I’d just wait til you start your AD service obligation once again after schooling.

Thanks guys! That’s why I love SDN!

Be careful with double dipping anyway because if you use the GI Bill while on HPSP, i dont know if there will be any issues with tuition payments or anything, and even if you only receive a small amount of BAH on top of stipend, is that set of months worth the BAH later along with tuition for family?

I'd personally wait until active duty as stated above to sign over the benefits.

Be careful with double dipping anyway because if you use the GI Bill while on HPSP, i dont know if there will be any issues with tuition payments or anything, and even if you only receive a small amount of BAH on top of stipend, is that set of months worth the BAH later along with tuition for family?

I'd personally wait until active duty as stated above to sign over the benefits.

Yeah, I got word from a few "official" sources that it doesn't mess up the tuition or anything. You just get your BAH and lose the rest. My goal is to avoid having to do that, hence the concern about being able to transfer. I'm planning on saving it and giving it to the kiddos. The school I'm planning on attending is in a place with a really low cost of living.

Yeah, I got word from a few "official" sources that it doesn't mess up the tuition or anything. You just get your BAH and lose the rest. My goal is to avoid having to do that, hence the concern about being able to transfer. I'm planning on saving it and giving it to the kiddos. The school I'm planning on attending is in a place with a really low cost of living.

I also concur: You lose the true power and full entitlement if it’s just to enhance your stipend with the HPSP. Personally I’d accept the small differential loan I may occur if it meant my son or daughter can have the full benefits later in life.

If anything, the driving point is you don’t lose transferability which is priceless for the kiddos.

I also concur: You lose the true power and full entitlement if it’s just to enhance your stipend with the HPSP. Personally I’d accept the small differential loan I may occur if it meant my son or daughter can have the full benefits later in life.

If anything, the driving point is you don’t lose transferability which is priceless for the kiddos.

That’s the plan right now. Gonna try to make it without loans, but will leave the GI Bill alone and take out loans if necessary.

Reactions: 1 users