Is there any way to get GI Bill to pay for prequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdubs1984

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few prereq classes left like physics 1/2 orgo 1/2 that aren't in my degree plan. Is it possible to get GI bill to pay for these?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few prereq classes left like physics 1/2 orgo 1/2 that aren't in my degree plan. Is it possible to get GI bill to pay for these?

Thanks.

Courses you take in undergrad that are not required for your bachelors doesn't matter for the GI Bill so long as you are enrolled full-time. Now if you are simply taking prerequisites a little bit at a time as a part time student, then yes it can still cover you but you would be burning into your monthly count down eligibility (36 months) without using the full power of your GI Bill. For most, it's better just to pay the difference and save the months left of your GI Bill toward grad / professional schooling to use its full power which includes the annual book stipend, tuition coverage, and BAH.

If you plan on dropping to part-time status, the VA will also calculate your "rate of pursuit." They determine if you're at least enrolled half-time (50%) to get any portion of housing allowance. Basic example is if your school classifies 12 credits per semester full time status, then then VA will calculate a pay difference of your housing for credit hours above 6 but below 12. They will then round to the nearest 10% level and pay you that difference in the housing allowance based on the zip code of the university (assuming you're not online).

Reactions: 1 users
I added them to my degree plan via picking up a "pre health certificate," (basically a minor in premed) at my university. Important to note— you don't have to finish a minor or certificate you pickup. So, my advisor told me what they usually do for premeds using the GI bill is temporarily add a chem or phys minor or whatever

Reactions: 1 user