TOUROCOM - New York Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just rescheduled with Kathy for Oct. 30th, so i'm really psyched about visiting the school. I think this and Midwestern Chicago are my top choices. I would have done my interview on the 23rd, but my cafe got robbed 2 times this week and I am going crazy. I think pushing it back will relax me a bit and get me a bit more prepared for my interview. After getting waitlisted at Nova, I think I need to prove to myself and these medical schools that I have what it takes to become a physician.

sorry to hear about your cafe, but your rescheduling is much appreciated! I got a call from Mr. Figueroa today offering me Oct 23rd because a spot opened up and I am local, in Brooklyn. I'm guessing that your rescheduling had something to do with that, so thanks!! Now the only problem is that I only have 1 academic LOR, 2 non-academic and the Committee letter uploaded on Virtual Eval since one of my profs still has not written/sent the letter. I made sure to be clear about this to both Mr. Figueroa and Kathy, but I came home today from the volunteer gig at Bellevue and the interview email was waiting in the inbox so I hope everything will be ok. I promised to send the LOR ASAP via Interfolio and emailed him with the change in plan.

Questions for our resident TOUROCOM students: how are exams in terms of scheduling? Is it like an exam a week or is there a block of exams all at the same time?

In case you can't tell, I am super excited.

Members don't see this ad.

The posts you probably read were from our first couple days when there were a couple things that weren't quite ready (mostly the air conditioning), but the school is very well prepared. There were some minor glitches -unforeseen structural problems - but since those initial two weeks we've been cruising right along. Also, none of these things interfered with the academic program or class schedule, or have interfered since then.

The facilities are excellent. Everything in our building is completely brand new, from the chairs to the computers to the paint on the walls. We have a large library with a separate, adjacent computer room, and tons of individual "break out" rooms for small group study. There are also two student lounges with refrigerators, microwaves, and vending machines (and by next year there will be a functional cafeteria). The school is open until midnight every day so you can access all the resources, and our anatomy lab is staffed every single day for like 12 hours so you can work on your dissections and study gross anatomy at your convenience, with the guidance of one of our anatomy professors.

As far as clinical exposure, no, we don't interact with live patients during our first two years as far as I'm aware. I'm also unaware of too many schools that have very much clinical exposure during the first two years (but feel free to correct me, unlike the real Stephen Colbert I may occasionally make a mistake). In general, the first two years of medical school are based around the sciences and learning some aspects of clinical medicine, and the second two are really when you learn through clinical exposure. We do have a course not offered by most other schools that introduces us to the clinical aspects of medicine (insurance, social issues, current changes in medicine, etc) as well as a variety of other courses that teach us HOW to interact with the patient before we go in there poking and prodding them. You'll realize your first day that even talking to a patient and taking a history is much more difficult that you'd imagine and unless you know what you're doing there's really no point in live patient interactions (as opposed to instructors, who can guide and correct you). I also don't believe that this would put us at a disadvantage to other students (I'm not really sure what you meant by "behind" them).

Feel free to ask about anything or if you want me to elaborate further. Many of these questions could probably be better answered by the admissions office, so don't hesitate to call them either.

I see that interviews are starting up soon, so good luck to everyone that's coming!

Excellent post Colbert. One thing though, we will have patient contact through the free Touro clinic which will be functional starting from next semester as well as patient actors who will start next semester as well. Overall I think we have more actual clinical prep than most schools. Feel free to correct me also. Or you can just slap me on the back of the head when I walk by tomorrow.

sorry to hear about your cafe, but your rescheduling is much appreciated! I got a call from Mr. Figueroa today offering me Oct 23rd because a spot opened up and I am local, in Brooklyn. I'm guessing that your rescheduling had something to do with that, so thanks!! Now the only problem is that I only have 1 academic LOR, 2 non-academic and the Committee letter uploaded on Virtual Eval since one of my profs still has not written/sent the letter. I made sure to be clear about this to both Mr. Figueroa and Kathy, but I came home today from the volunteer gig at Bellevue and the interview email was waiting in the inbox so I hope everything will be ok. I promised to send the LOR ASAP via Interfolio and emailed him with the change in plan.

Questions for our resident TOUROCOM students: how are exams in terms of scheduling? Is it like an exam a week or is there a block of exams all at the same time?

In case you can't tell, I am super excited.

Glad to see you're excited. I can remember the feeling before I interviewed and I could hardly contain myself. :laugh:

Exams are sort of block schedule. However, its not like all exams in one week (an exam week per se). It's more like exams in the same portion of the semester (2 weeks or so his time around). I realize this sounds unclear but my brain is currently mush so feel free to ask me to clarify.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the info. my prof just sent my last LOR... to the pre-health office :confused: .... now I have to hound him to send it to interfolio. This process is definitely not for those who don't want to do any leg work... or finger work (all that typing of emails)!

I heard if you get accepted you have to let them know in 2 weeks, does anyone know if this is true? How long after interview do they notify you of acceptance????

i read on their website that not only do you have to let them know in 2 weeks, but you have to give a $2000 deposit!

for those who were accepted last year, how long after the interview did it take admissions to tell you whether or not you were accepted?

also, for anybody who is already in touro

how is the environment, is it safe

how is housing? prices?

and as he/she asked, how long after the interview do we get a decision

thanks guys

i spoke with a woman in admissions today and she said that not everyone who turns in a secondary and lor's is given an interview...i'm really confused now. :confused:

does anyone know if there is an electronic version of their secondary so that I don't have to hand write it?

I don't believe there is an electronic version.

As for the secondary issue, I personally emailed Mr. Obed Figueroa a while back asking this question, as have many other SDN'ers and the answer has always been the same: secondary = interview invite. Perhaps the person you spoke to was not aware that this is the case or maybe the rules have changed for all we know.

also, for anybody who is already in touro

how is the environment, is it safe

how is housing? prices?

and as he/she asked, how long after the interview do we get a decision

thanks guys

Environment is as safe as any other part of New York City. The school is located on a very active and busy street (meaning that you won't be walking home through any dark alleys all by yourself).

Here's a link from wikipedia about Crime in New York City in general: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_New_York_City

And here's a quote from wikipedia's page about Harlem in the crime section

"In the 32nd Precinct, for example, in Central Harlem, between 1993 and 2004, the murder rate dropped 68%, the rape rate dropped 70%, the robbery rate dropped 60%, burglary dropped 81%, and the total number of crime complaints dropped 62%."

There is no student housing, and the price for a place is extremely variable depending on where you want to live and how big of an apartment you want, so putting a price tag on it is difficult. It is New York City, so it's expensive. If pressed on the issue, however, I would put a range anywhere from $800-$1800/month. Again, it's all up to you how much you want to spend.

I don't know how long it's going to take them to get back to you after you interview, since last year's interview process was very different than this year's. That would be a question to ask Obed or one of the other admissions officers, and if/when you come to interview, I think they'll let you know.

Keep the questions coming, we'll answer them the best we can, but you really might get a better answer from the admissions staff since they're the ones that actually know what's going on.

ok sorry for asking too many questions, but im choosing btwn nycom and touro, and im trying to make sure touro is a better option for me..

do touro students do clinicals in the city hospitals?

how is the class scheduel like during the day? classes all day? do we get summer/winter breaks?

do u feel like u get the prep u need for the board exams?
bcz touro in ny is pretty new, are they prepping students to be competitive and do well?

thanks guys

touro is currently aoa provisional accreditation status... what does that mean?

Members don't see this ad :)
It means they don't get full accreditation until after they graduate their first class.

if everyone that got a secondary got an interview, wouldn't that make it quite competitive... more than some of the other DO schools in the country. It just doesn't make sense to me, i'm almost positive that they must have at least 500+ students interviewing, if not more.

Anyways, I dont see a problem with Touro's $2000 deposit within 2 weeks... it just seems to be trying to weed out the students that are skeptical about the school and those that really want to go to school over most of the other schools they applied to in the country. OR... they really like money. Are the other Touro schools the same way or just Harlem?

how do you figure that its 500+? they could only be interviewing 200-250ish for a class of 135. there's little way for us to know. i'm hoping that since it appears i'll be interviewing very early (23rd), that it increases chances of admission since touro is my #1.

ok sorry for asking too many questions, but im choosing btwn nycom and touro, and im trying to make sure touro is a better option for me..

do touro students do clinicals in the city hospitals?

how is the class scheduel like during the day? classes all day? do we get summer/winter breaks?

do u feel like u get the prep u need for the board exams?
bcz touro in ny is pretty new, are they prepping students to be competitive and do well?

thanks guys

Yes, we do rotations in the city hospitals. I can't locate my copy of the hospitals that we're already affiliated with, and I will post it when I can find it, but there's approximately a dozen hospitals in the NYC area that we will be rotating at.

The class schedule varies daily. Sometimes we're in class from 9-5, other times we're there 9-12. I think I've given a rough overview of our current weekly schedule in a previous post in this thread.

It is the goal of all medical schools to prepare their students as best as possible and make them competitive. I don't believe Touro will be any different.

if everyone that got a secondary got an interview, wouldn't that make it quite competitive... more than some of the other DO schools in the country. It just doesn't make sense to me, i'm almost positive that they must have at least 500+ students interviewing, if not more.

Applying to medical school is competitive in general. I couldn't tell you how many people they're interviewing, and I'm interested to know how you came to your number, but I wouldn't be surprised if it exceeded 500 people (by the way, that isn't really a terribly high number of students to interview, Columbia interviews 25% of applicants and accepts 15% of those, for some perspective). One of the reasons Touro-NY is so competitive is that it is the only urban DO school in the country (and possibly PCOM, but I've never been there to know what the surrounding area is like). That atmosphere and location is one of the reasons it's so competitive, and probably one of the reasons you're applying there.

If you receive an interview invitation, then at least on paper you're competitive. Now all you need to do is impress them with your character. :)

From my experience thus far with TOUROCOM, I've grown skeptical. Having the most expensive secondary application fee is not the best way to recruit talented students to a new medical school. And isn't it ironic that the mission of the school is to help increase minority and disadvantaged student representation in medicine, yet charge more than Harvard. Perhaps they're banking on their target audience to receive fee waivers, and the rest to bite the bullet.

Equally concerning is the communication. Every email I receive from TOURCOM is filled with typos and grammatical errors- sentences don't even make sense. This is a med school here- where the best and the brightest go to learn medicine! This isn't a two-year junior college. And, I hear from other students that they received interview emails without the proper attachemnts. Plus there is no clear message from the admissions office regarding the secondary = interview policy.

I'd like to attend TOUROCOM, and I prepared for it- I just want to be certain they are equally prepared...

And an after thought on another post I read- "125th st is as safe as any street in Manhattan." I appreciate your point, but that's a bit strong of a statement wouldn't you think. I'd prefer to sleep the night on Central Park South than on 125th.

From my experience thus far with TOUROCOM, I've grown skeptical. Having the most expensive secondary application fee is not the best way to recruit talented students to a new medical school. And isn't it ironic that the mission of the school is to help increase minority and disadvantaged student representation in medicine, yet charge more than Harvard. Perhaps they're banking on their target audience to receive fee waivers, and the rest to bite the bullet.

Equally concerning is the communication. Every email I receive from TOURCOM is filled with typos and grammatical errors- sentences don't even make sense. This is a med school here- where the best and the brightest go to learn medicine! This isn't a two-year junior college. And, I hear from other students that they received interview emails without the proper attachemnts. Plus there is no clear message from the admissions office regarding the secondary = interview policy.

I'd like to attend TOUROCOM, and I prepared for it- I just want to be certain they are equally prepared...

And an after thought on another post I read- "125th st is as safe as any street in Manhattan." I appreciate your point, but that's a bit strong of a statement wouldn't you think. I'd prefer to sleep the night on Central Park South than on 125th.

This is my take on the secondary fee. You've already been screened and you wouldn't be sent the secondary if you weren't qualified. Many schools send the secondary to every student who applies, and you end up spending $80 when they already know you don't stand a chance (for instance I received the secondary from a top 10 allopathic school within moments after I submitted my AMCAS primary - my chances for acceptance were probably 1-2%, but it's my home state so I was taking a shot). $200 is expensive, but it's by no means money you're throwing away. You were sent the secondary because on paper you're qualified, and they want you to apply. However, even though I can tell you that the primaries are screened before sending secondaries, I can't attest to the secondary = interview with any level of certainty. That could be answered very easily by calling the admissions office and asking them though.

As for the admissions communications, I completely understand that you're first impression probably wasn't the best, and thus far that's the only experience you've had with the school. Our admissions committee is overwhelmed, they didn't expect as many applications as they received last year and made some similar mistakes. Also, as other people have posted, TouroCOM is actually a competitive school to get into even though it's still in its infancy, so they're handling a lot of applications. This is only the second time they're handling interviews, so they haven't worked out every kink. They'll make mistakes. They're human.

I also don't think it is a bold claim at all to say that 125th street is as safe as any other street in Manhattan. Yes, there are nicer areas in the city, there's no question about that and I'm not arguing the opposite. Parts of New York, and Manhattan specifically, are very affluent. That wasn't the point I was making. 125th street is a very busy and active street. It is the cultural and economic center of Harlem. There's no dark alleys, no one selling drugs on the corner, no one getting mugged, no gangs walking down the street, nothing of the like whatsoever. It's lined with businesses upon businesses (and a med school). That being said, I don't recommend anyone walking home alone late at night, not because it's Harlem, but because that's not the safest thing to do in general. But hey, if you want to sleep on the street don't let me stop you, I just don't think it's safe doing that anywhere.

I'm glad you voiced your opinions and concerns, it is ultimately up to you where you go to medical school and you should pick the place that you feel is the best for you. If you come for an interview and afterwards you think school X is the better fit for you, then I completely recommend that you go to school X. You need to go where you'll be happy and comfortable because you won't do well in medical school if you don't enjoy where you're at.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you have or voice any opinions. I'll do my best to offer my objective opinions, but then again, simply by nature of attending the school, they will probably be at least somewhat subjective. :)

Good luck to everyone coming this week for interview kick off week!

By the way, everyone that interviews next week will be able to ask the questions they have and get things cleared up for themselves and everyone else. You'll get a lot a lot of things answered and won't have to speculate too much , as well as some completely objective opinions from your fellow applicants.

And in case you haven't found this resource on SDN, here's a link to feedback from people who have interviewed at TouroCOM

http://share.studentdoctor.net/interview/process_read.asp?school=225

I've been reviewing this for my upcoming interview. I have a few questions for you guys.

First question is: I see that last year people were taken to a hospital via cab after the interview. Can anyone verify if this occurs within the timeframe they gave us (9 a.m. - 2 p.m.) or later? I'm going to stay no matter what, but I have an epidural steroid injection under fluoroscopy I sort of promised to help with at work later on in the day.

My other questions are in regard to the questions asked last year at interviews, primarly "If you were in this situation what would you do: A patient said that he would feel more comfortable speaking with an African-american doctor because he would understand his needs better. What would you do?" and my thoughts on euthanasia. I have an idea of how I would answer the African-American question, but I'd like your input on how you would answer it. As for euthanasia, I personally see pros and cons of it (mostly pros), but I would be hesitant to show my advocacy for it to adcoms, fearing I would be labeled as something I am not. How would you guys answer this question?

I've been reviewing this for my upcoming interview. I have a few questions for you guys.

First question is: I see that last year people were taken to a hospital via cab after the interview. Can anyone verify if this occurs within the timeframe they gave us (9 a.m. - 2 p.m.) or later? I'm going to stay no matter what, but I have an epidural steroid injection under fluoroscopy I sort of promised to help with at work later on in the day.

My other questions are in regard to the questions asked last year at interviews, primarly "If you were in this situation what would you do: A patient said that he would feel more comfortable speaking with an African-american doctor because he would understand his needs better. What would you do?" and my thoughts on euthanasia. I have an idea of how I would answer the African-American question, but I'd like your input on how you would answer it. As for euthanasia, I personally see pros and cons of it (mostly pros), but I would be hesitant to show my advocacy for it to adcoms, fearing I would be labeled as something I am not. How would you guys answer this question?

If they gave you a time frame of 9-2 then I assume you'll be done by then. During my interview we didn't take cabs to the hospital, we walked, but my interview was later in the cycle and it was a nice day outside.

Those questions are excellent examples of questions in which there's no right answer. From adcoms that I've spoken with, they're more interested in is your thought process and how you evaluate the situation. For example, and in no way am I saying this is even the best way to answer the question, but my response to the euthanasia question would go something like this,

"That is a difficult question. There are arguments for and against this because of both the patient's rights and the physician's responsibility. The patient does have the ultimate authority over their body and their medical decisions, and there are points in which terminal ill patients do not have a chance for recovery and may prefer a 'death with dignity' over a slower course. It is the physician's responsibility, however, to do no harm, and physician-assisted suicide can obviously be considered harm."

Also, did you know that in Oregon physician-assisted suicide is legal? - Thats some truthiness.

I open up this response to criticism and critiques. How would you answer it? Anything in my sample response you would change/disagree with?

i would answer the euthanasia question similarly. what about the african-american doctor question?

Slightly off topic but I know NYCOM used to be the only DO school in NY and now TouroCOM recently opened. Are there others that are or will be opening in NY anytime soon? I strongly prefer to stay instate so the more DO schools in NY the greater my chances of staying. Thanks and sorry if this post is not meant to be in this thread

can someone tell me the wait time between submitting the secondary and hearing back from an interview?

I had my secondary and LOR's in last monday and i havent heard back for an interview yet..

i would answer the euthanasia question similarly. what about the african-american doctor question?

The African-American doctor question is one that you'll probably face at least once as a physician (and I'm also assuming you're not African-American because you're asking this question). It's important to understand that throughout the course of modern medicine African-Americans specifically have been exploited in the name of scientific advancement. The Tuskegee experiment is a great example, but it's certainly not the only time that African-Americans were subject to risky or unjustified tests by physicians or researchers. Because of this, you will encounter African-American patients that are weary of not just white physicians, but ANY physician. This can lead to diseases not being diagnosised or treated until it's too late.

Anyway, about how I would answer this, I can't give you a right or wrong answer. I can't even tell you what I'd say. I can tell you that the patient's autonomy is one of the most important factors you should consider when making any medical decision as a physician.

Slightly off topic but I know NYCOM used to be the only DO school in NY and now TouroCOM recently opened. Are there others that are or will be opening in NY anytime soon? I strongly prefer to stay instate so the more DO schools in NY the greater my chances of staying. Thanks and sorry if this post is not meant to be in this thread

TouroCOM is the first new medical school in the state of New York in the last thirty years, and as far as I know, there aren't plans for any other new ones (MD or DO) in the near future.

can someone tell me the wait time between submitting the secondary and hearing back from an interview?

I had my secondary and LOR's in last monday and i havent heard back for an interview yet..

It's been a week. Relax. You'll hear soon.

TouroCOM is the first new medical school in the state of New York in the last thirty years, and as far as I know, there aren't plans for any other new ones (MD or DO) in the near future.

Hofstra is opening a new medical school (MD) soon in Long Island.

For Those of you that Interviewed today can you please post info about the interview....how it was...questions asked....etc...I hope it went for you guys!

Interview day was fun, but very exhausting. The 23rd was the FIRST day of interviews so that was advantageous. The faculty seems really cool (Dean Diamond, OMM Dr. Morris, Dr. C-something I forgot the spelling of his name but he was a fantastic professor to meet even for a few moments. What a joker!). I was in group D so I was literally the VERY last person interviewed which drove my anxiety through the roof. A bunch of guys before me came out and said the interviews were very "laid back." I'm not sure mine was so laid back, but it wasn't terrible. Hindsight is 20/20 and you always end up rethinking questions later on anyway. It was hard to gauge if they liked me or not and, as promised, I saw one of the interviewers watching my body language like a hawk. I tend to gesture with my hands when I speak and his eyes would saccade from my eyes down to my hands and back to my eyes--so obvious!

Obed is like the COOLEST guy FYI. We had many laughs and an overall great time, especially on the walk to North General. Be prepared to walk a lot if you take the hospital tour.

The school is brand spankin' new as promised and they do a good job selling it. Overall, I was very pleased with the school, even though I'm not sure if I really "nailed" my interview. I tried to be honest and sincere and I hope that my anxiety didn't mask that. I hope to God that I get in because I do feel like it would be a great fit for me.

Also, all the students are really friendly and nice. They all wished us good luck, gave us honest answers on their experiences so far and so fourth.

hi all! man i'm so glad to have found this thread...

-i got the nov 7th interview
[they have already been interviewing prior to today when i called their office, so if anyone wanted to know, yes they have already begun interviews]
-the plane tickets round trip is going to cost me $400 at least
-the lowest hotel rate i found was about $89, HOWEVER, using TripAdvisor, i checked and most of them are apparently really bad. hair on floor, dead bugs, dangerous on first floor, etc.

my question is, will i be safe hailing a taxi from NJ, interviewing, and, in the long run, will it be safe to go to school at Tourocom? is the cost of living really high there? i'm worried...hoping for more information. thanks!

Eudjinn, I'm glad you enjoyed your experience here, and I think I might have met you (did you ask which of us were the ones posting on here all the time?). From what some of the interviews told me, they kinda matched up the people who interviewed everyone into the pairs of super nice guys, more clinical guys, and more academic guys (and gals), so the interview itself may have differed depending on which pair you ended up with. Also, all of the students were really impressed with how excited all the interviewees were and how much you guys wanted to be here.

Sidenote, sorry to any of the interviewees if we seemed frazzled, wired, or anxious. We're in the middle of our first set of exams and have all been operating to our maximum capacity for the last couple weeks.

Enloki, all the hotels that are reasonable aren't very nice. I paid $120 for my one-star rated hotel (by hotels.com), but all you really need to do in it is shower and sleep. Then again, stay away from any place that has cockroaches. I'd recommend on your interview date staying the night before in the city because you really don't want to get stuck in traffic coming in from Jersey and be late. As far as safety, I've addressed this in numerous previous threads, and it's very safe. One of my friends from Long Island interviewed here on Tuesday and said he hasn't been to Harlem in probably ten years and couldn't even believe how different it is now. Harlem is experiencing it's second Renaissance and the people of Harlem are taking pride in their community to a level I've never seen before.

Cost of living - New York City is expensive. Period. Rent is higher here (or at the very least, equivalent to) any other place in the country. You can save money very easily though. For instance, there's a fantastic deli around the corner that gives Touro students a 20% discount, so you can get a huge sandwich for $4 for lunch. Don't bring a car, you'll have no place to park it and you'll never need to drive, so the money you'll save on car payments/insurance will go towards you're general living expenses. Finally, I can't give you a figure on a lot of other schools, but I know Touro is one of the less expensive DO schools, so that $6,000-10,000 a year you save on tuition also factors in.

TO EVERYONE - If you have a specific question or feel weird/awkward/inappropriate asking it in the public forum, PM me. I really want you guys to be as informed as possible when you make your decision and if you are accepted.

thanks!

i've also been reviewing interview experiences. everyone so far says that the class is almost full. does anyone know just how full and/or how many they are looking for now?

thanks!

i've also been reviewing interview experiences. everyone so far says that the class is almost full. does anyone know just how full and/or how many they are looking for now?

You must have stumbled across last year's post when the class was full. At this point, since they just began interviews two days ago, I doubt they've issued a single acceptance yet. Don't worry, you'll be fine.

Colbert, I'm not sure if I was the one asking about SDN (much of Tuesday remains a blur in my mind at this point), but I can tell you that I was the guy from Brooklyn in a dark blue double-breasted suit with a white shirt and dark blue/silvery tie. If you know suits, you'll remember me because I was the only one in a double-breasted jacket :D. I was also the only one with a briefcase (black).

Sounds like we might have met (were you wearing a light beige polo/t-shirt?) because I distinctly remember talking to one such dressed student in the lounge with the vending machines and he told me about a Deli where he usually gets a sandwich for 4-5 bucks. Our tour was given by a nice guy in a Sean John sweater, whose name skips me atm sorry!

I definitely did make some SDN jokes and a lot of sarcastic jokes in general because, well, that's how I roll really.

Did anyone interview with Dr. Cammarata? If so did you think your interview was fast paced with tons of questions after your responses. I talked to most of the other interviewers on the 24th and they said their interview was very laid back, but I felt mine was more intense and my answers to questions were always challenged.

I kind of wish I had Dr. C. When I met him in the morning, he seemed really easygoing and laid back. I thought if I had him, we'd be sharing laughs. I didn't have him as an interviewer, however.

I'm surprised that this was how he interviewed. My interview also felt intense FYI, but I never felt as though I was ever really being challenged. I did get the feeling that the interviewers might have been doubting my sincerity because I was nervous and may have stumbled on a few words.

He did joke around during the interview and was very nice, but he also did try to challenge me. I think I did a good job answering his questions, but at times it did feel like he was shooting tons of questions at me. What did help was that one of his children went to the same undergrad school as me, so it gave us something else to talk about for a little while.

at least you got a chance to talk a little bit "off topic" to show off your personality outside of the medical field. I was hoping for a chance to just shoot the sh*$ a little bit about something less important than the topic at hand, just to get more comfortable with the interviewers, but I didn't have any chances. The fact that it was the very last interview of the day probably had something to do with that.

i've been complete for over a week , i called admissions again today to check on my 'interview status' and was once again told a secondary does not gaurantee an interview at all.

what the hell!?

so frustrating.

So I want to revive this thread. Anyone who was interviewed on 10/23 hear anything yet? It has been exactly one week and every day I have a mild heart attack when checking the mail.

Any clue if the Adcoms met and made decisions? Today is 10/30 so technically there should be new interviewees done today.

Hi Guys,
What type of questions where they asking if you don't mind sharing with the group.
Thanks

questions were about the same as I read on the SDN page where all the schools are listed.

I'm still waiting to hear from Touro-ny.... anyone heard anything or has called in? I would call, but I'm not sure I'd get an answer and I don't want to bug Obed.

Where are the clinical rotations??? I mean like which hospitals, have they set them up yet?

I heard the list of hospitals is quite impressive (something like 12), but we were not given one. The MS-1's said they liked it.

I have a question for any of the current students... I just did my interview this past tuesday (hope you all did well on your anatomy exam!), and we were told the curriculum was based on the one used by the Touro medschool in California, but were never given details. For example, I notice that Cali has a PBL class, and some elective courses for international health study, etc. Are these things part of curriculum in Harlem?

Thanks!!!

Where are the clinical rotations??? I mean like which hospitals, have they set them up yet?

i dont remember which ones they said, but they did take us to north general in harlem.

i actually liked the school, the area was so so. I actually got water thrown on me from a tall building during the night when i was walking along 125th street. I was quite pissed off, but most of the people were friendly.

I interviewed with TouroCom NY on Oct 31st. There were about 8 of us interviewing that day.

We started with a continental breakfast during which Dr. Diamond and Dr. Cammarata asked us to introduce ourselves and then they spoke to us about their mission/vision for the school... and told us this day is not only for them to evaluate us but for us to evaluate them and see if Tourocom is a good fit for us.

After that Obed Figueroa (without any of the other faculty around) gave us a pep talk before our interviews and answered our questions to help us relax and be ready for our interviews.

I interviewed with two members of the admissions committee together for about 30 minutes. It is a closed interview so your interviewers have not seen you application materials - all they know is that you met the minimum standard to be there. I thought that was cool because they are not biased before they talk to you. They do see your materials right after the interviews. The interviewers were very friendly and the interview was conversational. Be expected to explain why you want to be a DO, why TouroCom NY, and why you want to be a doctor in general (of course). Otherwise the interview went primarily according to what you brought up about your background.

We also met with the financial aid rep, toured the facilities (which are very nice!!) and talked with current students in the student lounge while waiting for our interviews. After all interviews were complete we had lunch and then walked over to North General Hospital (about .7 miles away) and Dr. Perez, a chief resident, gave us a tour of the hospital.

It is a great interview day that allows you to really get a feel for the students, faculty/staff, community and most importantly how well you will fit into that environment.

Obed Figueroa said we should be notified within a couple weeks of our status.

Personally TouroCom would be a great fit for me and I hope I get an offer. After my interview I am 100% positive I will accept if offered!! I had an interview with another school the very next day and found it hard to get excited about that school after my experience at TouroCom.

Good Luck Everyone!!

Hey guys

For all those waiting to hear back from the interview, GOOD LUCK! For the rest of you waiting to hear back for interviews, be patient!! TouroCOM's turning out to be a great school, with brand new facilities, its nyc location and it has some of the greatest faculty I have seen in open houses/interviews so far. They are very well educated, but more importantly than that, they are extremely approachable. I know that first hand.

I had applied for the class of 2011. And believe me, I went through the very torturous process of being on waitlist, and having the waiting game being played with me. We were told at the interviews that there might be some of us who might make waitlist and might be called in for the orientation, even if we're not accepted at the moment. And those that are called for orientation might be given the opportunity to be part of the class of 2012. When I first heard it, I thought it sounded so bizarre to be called in for orientation without an acceptance. Well guess what, I was the person who was called in for orientation while still on waitlist. And I am so glad I went. I got to speak with all the faculty, including the dean, and was offered an acceptance for class of 2012 (which I very gladly accepted) They went as far as even providing me with syllabi and other class information, in case I wanted to prepare myself.

I don't think I've had that kind of an immediate response from any school, where they were willing to go out of their way to accommodate a student. I am already friends with a few of the current 1st years, and they are AWESOME people!!! While I am bummed I couldn't be their classmate, I'm definitely looking forward to meeting a similar group of enthusiastic people that will make the TouroCOM class of 2012.

Good luck to you all. I know its a VERY difficult and hair-ripping process, but it is all worth it at the end!!

Status
Not open for further replies.