TOUROCOM - New York Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Touro do acceptances via e-mail, phone call, or mail? How long did it take to hear after your interview?

I actually only got a letter in the mail. It came just under 2 weeks after the day I interviewed! They have a very quick turn around!

Members don't see this ad.

I actually only got a letter in the mail. It came just under 2 weeks after the day I interviewed! They have a very quick turn around!

Yeah they were really quick. I had my interview quite a while ago (Dec 5th), maybe back then they were sending both an email and a letter. But now they might just be doing the letter

I had my interview 2 weeks ago, and received my acceptance snail mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooo, how long until I will probably hear something AFTER I have sent in my deposit? Will I get some sort of packet??

I know my deposit was just due on the 1st, but I am already getting antsy because I haven't heard anything! haha

Okay, so I'm pretty sure somebody at TouroCOM is reading this...because I got an email with all the information in it tonight! haha yayy!

Ok, I'm getting antsy. Anyone know when they'll start pulling from the waitlist? I remember Obed saying they'd start before the end of interviews, that's got to be coming up soon, right? :scared:

Thanks for all the transport help, guys. Just got my acceptance. yay!

Yeah!!!! I JUST GOT ACCEPTED!!!!!! I'm so excited, Touro is my top choice!!!!

Breakdown: Sec: 3/14 Inter. Invi. 3/18 Inter: 3/26 Acc: 3-31.

I didn't get my mail from Wed. and Thurs. until Friday 4/4. For everyone still waiting I wish you the best of luck. Anyone accepted from 3/26 PM me so that we can chat. I was the one who was to embarressed to say what my avatar was.

:clap::clap: :banana::banana::banana::banana: :clap::clap:

:love:I love TouroCOM !!!:love:

I interviewed March 28th, received my acceptance via mail April 3rd.

Is there anyone going to Touro that plans on doing emergency medicine? I'd like to hear some thoughts on Touro and EM.

I got an acceptance letter today!! :love:

Hey Pel and mito are you matriculating?

CONGRATS theorist, mito30, and Peloton!!! :D Our class is going to be awesome!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had some problems with my LORs so my applications were not complete until late in the process. I just got invited for interview at TOURO and would love to be accepted but I am worried about my chances because it is getting towards the end of the interviewing. Anyone have any idea how many spots they still have open? I am obviously going to the interview regardless, I was just curious. And Congrats to you guys who already got in

From personal experience it seems like its not over tell its over. If they invited you for an interview then they still have spots left. Mr. Obed said on 3-26 that 91/135 are full. Just two weeks after that its probably still under 115. If they want to interview you then they want to offer you a spot, just do well on your interview.

From personal experience it seems like its not over tell its over. If they invited you for an interview then they still have spots left. Mr. Obed said on 3-26 that 91/135 are full. Just two weeks after that its probably still under 115. If they want to interview you then they want to offer you a spot, just do well on your interview.

To clarify, the admissions director's name is Obed Figueroa, so it would be Mr. Figueroa, not Mr. Obed. Just trying to save you a little embarrassment when you talk to him.

My advice based on last year is if they're still interviewing then there's still spots. They even held a final round of interviews last year after they had 135 deposits because they correctly predicted that there would be a lot of waitlist movement and also because I believe they gave a few guaranteed spots for the 2012 class to qualified students.

Good luck!

I am really excited to meet everyone. I'm glad that I have a whole summer of nothing to do but I can't wait to start medical school.

What specialties are you guys interested in? I know it's early, but come on, we all fantasize about it... ;)

I've gone through OB/GYN, Surgery, and now I'm into Ophthalmology.

I interviewed March 28th, received my acceptance via mail April 3rd.

Is there anyone going to Touro that plans on doing emergency medicine? I'd like to hear some thoughts on Touro and EM.

I'm interested in EM, IM, ICM/CCM, or FP. I don't know how NY's second match will go but I imagine that if you score high enough on the COMLEX or USMLE you should be able to get EM since its not highly competetive (as far as I know).

Does anyone else know?

I am really excited to meet everyone. I'm glad that I have a whole summer of nothing to do but I can't wait to start medical school.

What specialties are you guys interested in? I know it's early, but come on, we all fantasize about it... ;)

I've gone through OB/GYN, Surgery, and now I'm into Ophthalmology.

Opthalmology is VERY diffucult for DO's. I know one guy at Touro MI that matched in LV, said there were 5 slots this year.

hey i might be going there ( i have been accepted), will know in a week hopefully. Congrats to all the aceptees

So is anyone looking for a roommate? I'm kind of worried about housing.

Hey,
Congrats to everyone accepted! I was wondering if anyone knew what hospitals will be affiliated for 3rd/4th year Clinical rotations?

I sent an e-mail to Obed asking for this information and this is what he sent back:

-Interfaith Medical Center
-Institute 2000 Bronx
-North General Hospital
-The New Parkway Hospital
-St. John’s Episcopal
-St. Michael’s
-Trinitas Hospital

Thanks for replying. That's good that they have places lined up, although I havent heard of these hospitals before. Does anyone know anything about these places and if 3rd years rotate in brooklyn hospitals or other city hospitals as well?

I sent an e-mail to Obed asking for this information and this is what he sent back:

-Interfaith Medical Center
-Institute 2000 Bronx
-North General Hospital
-The New Parkway Hospital
-St. John’s Episcopal
-St. Michael’s
-Trinitas Hospital

I am fairly certain (actually I am sure, but I do not to speak on behalf of the school officially) that we have bronx lebanon as well. We are in negotiations with other hospitals and some are close to being added. However, only hospitals that are 100% are listed. These are some big hospitals and I don't foresee us scrambling for rotations. :cool:

I gotcha :) Do you know what other schools would be competing for these places and if they've mentioned rotations at other locations (brooklyn) being possible as well?

I am fairly certain (actually I am sure, but I do not to speak on behalf of the school officially) that we have bronx lebanon as well. We are in negotiations with other hospitals and some are close to being added. However, only hospitals that are 100% are listed. These are some big hospitals and I don't foresee us scrambling for rotations. :cool:

Opthalmology is VERY diffucult for DO's. I know one guy at Touro MI that matched in LV, said there were 5 slots this year.

I think it's very difficult whether you are a DO or MD. But at least we can apply to both DO and MD programs. And the AOA spots are for us only!

I gotcha :) Do you know what other schools would be competing for these places and if they've mentioned rotations at other locations (brooklyn) being possible as well?

Many of these hospitals seem difficult to get to, particularly if a student lives in Harlem near Touro. It seems like getting to Far Rockaway at 5 am might be tricky.

Many of these hospitals seem difficult to get to, particularly if a student lives in Harlem near Touro. It seems like getting to Far Rockaway at 5 am might be tricky.

Well for third and fourth year many students have to find new places to live. third years in nycom are moving to brooklyn or jersey because nycom is an hour away (w/o traffic) from some of the jersey or brooklyn hospitals. Of course it also has places in LI, but not limited to LI. So that's why I was wondering where Touro will be affil with, but I guess more places will become available with time. :)

Sent my deposit today!

so i got an email from tourocom about housing through a broker. they want us to pay them for their services 12% of whatever the annual rent is as a fee. I love chicago because i would never have to do anything like this, isn't it easier to find an apartment on craigslist or other services without brokers fees coming out of our pockets?

so i got an email from tourocom about housing through a broker. they want us to pay them for their services 12% of whatever the annual rent is as a fee. I love chicago because i would never have to do anything like this, isn't it easier to find an apartment on craigslist or other services without brokers fees coming out of our pockets?

that sounds like crap. I've been looking on Craigslists and I'm thinking that's the way to go. There seems to be a lot of legit stuff that you can rent from the owner or brokers for no fee. My brother found his condo in DC through Craigslist, and went & saw plenty of other great places that he liked too. My main problem is that I would like to maybe find a roommate in our class...so I can't really do much until I do that!

I had planned on using the school realtor, but 12%?! That's ridiculous. Looks like I'll be searching craigslist, too (and also looking for a roommate).

I went to NYC this past week to look at apartments, and nobody was showing for an august lease. They said to come back in July to look for apartments in August because the New York market moves so fast, so the best time to look at apartments is 30-40 days before you plan on moving in. If you don't want to use a broker, then you have to be ready to sign the lease when you go see the apartment, it moves even faster. If you use a broker, then the average New York broker fee is 15% so CitiHabitats must have made a deal with the school to give us a lesser broker fee. Plus you need all kinds of documentation to be able to sign the lease. Since we're students, most of us have to provide a copy of our parents' tax returns, a copy of our acceptance letter, plus two pay stubs, a copy of the deed to a home ownership, social securty and driver's license copies...the CitiHabitats website has a detailed listing of what is necessary. Needless to say, it's an intense process. From what I've heard most people end up using a broker, but I'm sure if you're diligent enough and can act quickly you don't need to. Also, since the housing market is down apartments aren't going as quickly so they are a little cheaper than they used to be. But rents go up, 300-400 dollars near August since so many students/recent grads come into the city. Phew! That's a long post..but I've been doing a little research into renting in NYC and thought this info might help everybody!

I live in NYC now and I remember the apt. hunt. Just don't believe what you read on Craigslist, seriously. They describe the apartments one way and then you can't believe what a **** hole it is when you see it. When I moved here in 2004, I thought I would be able to find a decent studio for $1200/month based on what I was reading on Craigslist. I ended up in a studio for $1500/month. So just add a few hundred to your price limit and that is what you will end up spending. I am still in the same apt. and the rent is now $1850/month. And this is a tiny studio. I just want you guys to be prepared!!!

If you can avoid the brokers you should. They are slime bags. BUT it is pretty difficult to find an apartment on your own. If you can get a roommate that would be great, you get more for your money. Also, I have friends who live on a little street called Tiemann Place. It is a block south of 125th street and Bway. They have some decently priced apts. in those buildings. And it's really close to school. There are tons of students in that area since Columbia, Barnard, Manhattan School of Music, etc. are right there. I think it's pretty safe. And you don't need a broker. Just walk into the building and ask for the super. Hope this is helpful!!

I think that the class of 2012 students should get some type of open forum specifically designed for roommate matching. We have facebook and yahoo, maybe a group on facebook with roommate preferences and what type of apartment they are looking ...i dont know about you guys but Its April....I have no idea how to look for apartments in NYC...and I have no idea how to get a roommate that I wont hate to death (not that I hate anyone but obviously no one wants a roommate that they just cant bare to live with) So essentially all Im trying to say is that I am utterly confused as to how to go about moving to NYC lol.

Anyone with me on this?

I am totally in for this roommate matching idea. I think the apartment hunt can become a lot easier, not to mention cheaper.

Can any current students let us newcomers know what's available? I know other schools have clubs for the different specialties, etc. What do we have at TOUROCOM?
Thanks!!

Just out of curiosity, is the class filled yet?

Are they still interviewing at TouroCOM? I curious cuz I know almost every other school is full and is just interviewing for waitlist now.

I just withdrew my other acceptance so I will definitely be at TOUROCOM next year!!!!!

hey what do you guys think of touro's rotations 3rd and 4th year. i know touro has changed a couple of them during this year. I am kind of worried about the ambiguity of the rotation setup. I was hoping a student can clear it up for me. I know touro is trying to get Harlem hospital. But it seems to me that nothing is written in stone. I would also like to know how the rotations are set up, ex. how many months is the IM, FP, Electives step up, because it is different in each schools. Are they plenty of fellowship/ research opportunities the school offers? Is touro a more primary care based school and have their rotations based more on PC, or are they supportive of other feilds.

I guess i have a few worries because i don't know much about the school. I would be pleased if I any student is willing to contact me and answer questions i might have.

Hi a8, I think the rotations I posted earlier on this thread are set. It is the list I got from Obed. Also, if you read the student handbook published on the website, it tells you exactly how much time you have to spend on each rotation etc.

Does anyone know where I can get a TOUROCOM sweatshirt?

Third-Year Student Clinical Rotations Requirements:
Internal Medicine I 4 weeks
Internal Medicine II 4 weeks
Family Medicine I 4 weeks
Family Medicine II 4 weeks
General Surgery I 4 weeks
General/Orthopedic Surgery 4 weeks
Pediatrics 4 weeks
Obstetrics/Gynecology 4 weeks
Emergency Medicine 4 weeks
Psychiatry 4 weeks
Elective I 4 weeks
Elective II 4 weeks
Vacation 4 weeks
Total: 52 weeks

Fourth-Year Student Clinical Rotations Requirements:
Core Rotations - 5 Rotations at TOUROCOM Affiliated Sites
Medical Subspecialties 4 weeks
Specialty Options 4 weeks
Surgical Specialty 4 weeks
Acute/Critical Care 4 weeks
Non-Core Rotations - 5 Rotations
Primary Care 4 weeks
Medical Subspecialties 4 weeks
Elective-Primary Care 4 weeks
Elective-All Discipline 4 weeks
Vacation 4 weeks
Educational Review 4 weeks

Discipline Category Descriptions
Primary Care:
Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, OB/GYN, Pediatrics

Medical Subspecialties:
Cardiology, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, Hematology/Oncology, Infectious
Diseases, Nephrology, Neurology, Pulmonology

Specialty Options:
Alternative Medicine, Geriatric Medicine, Medically Underserved, OMM, Pathology, Pain
Management, Palliative Care, Psychiatry, Public Health, Radiation Oncology, Radiology,
Rehabilitation Medicine, Rural Medicine, Substance Abuse, Acute/Critical Care: ICU,
CCU, Intensivist

Surgical Specialty:
Anesthesiology, Dermatology, Otolaryngology, Emergency Medicine, OB/GYN,
Ophthalmology, Orthopedics, Reconstructive and Plastic Surgery, Urology,
Interventional Cardiology, Cardiac Surgery (Open Heart)

Elective:
Includes All Discipline Categories

thank you everyone, i was looking for that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.