Techniques and Pearls for Thoracic MBB/RFA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cameroncarter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all- I don’t have too much experience with treating thoracic facetogenic pain, and I’ve heard varying techniques. Thoughts appreciated.

Side note- WTF are the transverse processes so hard to see?!
816D1EC0-60FB-4AEC-BC38-32DAB8ACECE5.png

Members don't see this ad.

You're not gonna be doing this procedure anyways. I haven't done one since 2016 (fellowship).

You won't get approval.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're not gonna be doing this procedure anyways. I haven't done one since 2016 (fellowship).

You won't get approval.
Why is that? I feel like my patient have true thoracic facet mediated pain (adjacent segment disease given mid-thoracic fusion)

Why is that? I feel like my patient have true thoracic facet mediated pain (adjacent segment disease given mid-thoracic fusion)
Doesn't matter what you think.

I can't do thoracic MBB/RFA. Haven't been able to do one since I started in private practice.

I've had unbelievable P2P over these too.

You won't get approval.
Most of my cases have been Medicare. no payment issues that I’m aware of. Do a few a year. Half are repeats that get 1-2 years relief. Done a couple for cash on bcbs who won’t cover.

Search old posts for “pedicle shadow” technique.

If looking for tp, use “Pinocchio view”…. Ie clo a little bit til it sticks out further.

Reactions: 6 users
I do one every couple of months. I use the alternate technique at the TP/SP junction.

Been authorized to do thoracic RFA for standard medicare, WC, Cigna, UHC, Aetna.

BCBS is usually no, but some BCBS plans have covered it.

Last edited:
For posterity- this is the pedicle shadow technique previously described here.

“Instead of fishing around on the transverse process, try sliding your cannula along the dorsum of the lamina until it is over the pedicle shadow.”
AB7FAF65-CB54-4EA7-B2BD-70F77E9F5B27.png
BD69E30B-C387-4EEC-BF0B-EFD18234BAF7.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
I don't believe it.

I haven't had one approved since I've been out of fellowship, and I've had several absolutely incredible P2P, including one Asian woman who tried to argue with me into doing a T12-L1 ILESI and that would cover the levels I wanted to block and potentially ablate (T10-12). No stenosis but severe facet disease in a gentleman with a pear shaped body who required 48 hrs inpt cardiac monitoring after a CESI 2 yrs prior. Dexamethasone put him into Afib with CP and SOB.

I quit trying prob 12 months ago after wasting my time on trying to get them approved.

I also still do them. Nimbus needles over upper outer pedicle position. No issues with coverage.

I’ve had the same experience as Taus. Everyone approves and no payment denials except BCBS. Most of my patients who need it are Medicare. I do agree that it can sometimes be very challenging to see the TPs. I do a lot of collimating, tilt and oblique to try to get them to pop out. Usually, I can find at least one TP and then from there I know my approximate depth and locations for the rest. If there’s still a question, one of my partners showed me a trick where you tilt until what you think is TP overlies a rib. Drop your needle down and check a lateral for depth. The rib will give you a safety net in case the shadow you thought was TP wasn’t. The lateral will let you know if you’re truly on TP or rib.

i have had no denials.

its important to request for the correct body part - ie technically T1-T11 are coded as cervical/thoracic, and T12 and L1 MBB are lumbar, not thoracic/cervical.

most of the ones i do are low thoracic such as for T11-12.

i hate to be triggering on a Monday morning, but... any reason you chose to mention that she was Asian?

Members don't see this ad :)
T10 down I place like lumbar. Above that, I start in the middle between the spinous processes below, with an upper outward angulation. If I can’t see the TP, I touch down on pedicle and walk it lateral, then up or down if necessary until I can feel I’m on bone.
Most of my patients are Medicare so no issues with denials. The local Medicaid carrier also covers without issue. Some of the BC/BS plans do not. I probably do it mostly for chronic pain at the site of a healed compression fracture.
6DA44295-5BE8-408B-81B1-E0A5B51E76F8.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

You won't get approval.
On medicare, i do it all the time
certain bcbs allow it
had luck with uhc/aetna

I remember seeing cadaveric dissection and having the instructor tell us that occasionally the medial branches in this space can be so variable such that some of the branches are actually intraforaminal often times. Makes you wonder how often we should be expected effect here..

Maybe I'll try these again. Who will volunteer to do my P2P?

i have had no denials.

its important to request for the correct body part - ie technically T1-T11 are coded as cervical/thoracic, and T12 and L1 MBB are lumbar, not thoracic/cervical.

most of the ones i do are low thoracic such as for T11-12.

i hate to be triggering on a Monday morning, but... any reason you chose to mention that she was Asian?
Which CPT code do you request for a T12-L1 facet block? 64490 or 64493 (assuming first level)?

Which CPT code do you request for a T12-L1 facet block? 64490 or 64493 (assuming first level)

If also doing L1-2, then just call them both lumbar. If this is only level you are doing then call if cervico/thoracic so you can do lumbar later if needed

For posterity- this is the pedicle shadow technique previously described here.

“Instead of fishing around on the transverse process, try sliding your cannula along the dorsum of the lamina until it is over the pedicle shadow.”View attachment 360452View attachment 360454
I didn't know this was a proper published technique, but have been doing mine this way for years. Patients get good relief. Again, I do this all the time.

for T12-L1, i call them cervical/thoracic, because the targetted nerves are the T11 and T12.

avoids confusion by P2P.

for T12-L1, i call them cervical/thoracic, because the targetted nerves are the T11 and T12.

avoids confusion by P2P.

FWIW, our coders told us T12-L1 should be considered cervical/thoracic too after we asked them to look into it.

I still target the superolateral TP. I will approach from inferior to superior and medial to lateral to place my probe parallel along the length of the nerve or I'll use cooled RF. Works well. I'm not sure about the other "pedicle shadow" technique mentioned above. We never advocate placing the active tip perpendicular to the nerve so not sure why we're doing it now

I still target the superolateral TP. I will approach from inferior to superior and medial to lateral to place my probe parallel along the length of the nerve or I'll use cooled RF. Works well. I'm not sure about the other "pedicle shadow" technique mentioned above. We never advocate placing the active tip perpendicular to the nerve so not sure why we're doing it now
If you put the needle perpendicular to the nerve in the lumbar then just the tip of the needle is touching it. The technique above places the nerve, ideally, across the center of the active tip. Should still ablate several mm of nerve, and covers a lot more superior/inferior territory which is a good idea with the reputedly variable location of the thoracic nerves.

If you put the needle perpendicular to the nerve in the lumbar then just the tip of the needle is touching it. The technique above places the nerve, ideally, across the center of the active tip. Should still ablate several mm of nerve, and covers a lot more superior/inferior territory which is a good idea with the reputedly variable location of the thoracic nerves.
still the more you deviate from parallel to the nerve the shorter the length of ablation. how parallel to you believe the probe is to the nerve using this technique? 30 degrees? 45, 60?

still the more you deviate from parallel to the nerve the shorter the length of ablation. how parallel to you believe the probe is to the nerve using this technique? 30 degrees? 45, 60?
The approach I use is posted up above - as parallel as I can make it. However, I was pointing out that in the thoracic spine it is possible to have the needle perpendicular to the nerve but centered on it, therefore getting an effective ablation, whereas in the lumbar if the needle is perpendicular to the nerve in the groove, only the tip can touch.

The approach I use is posted up above - as parallel as I can make it. However, I was pointing out that in the thoracic spine it is possible to have the needle perpendicular to the nerve but centered on it, therefore getting an effective ablation, whereas in the lumbar if the needle is perpendicular to the nerve in the groove, only the tip can touch.
Still not following your logic? why do you think being perpendicular to the nerve is adequate even if the needle is centered on it? Makes no sense to me. If you’re perpendicular you’re going to get a much shorter ablation regardless of how “centered” you are.

Where are you placing for cooled RF? Pics? Thinking about doing this for a current patient.

Where are you placing for cooled RF? Pics? Thinking about doing this for a current patient.
Would have to dig for a bit to find pics but basically still placing the probe over the superolateral TP

For those doing conventional RFA - what gauge, length and active tip are folks using? Just did one today using a 20g 10cm with 10mm active tip and felt like it took me too long. Thinking about asking the Medtronic rep for 22g 5cm with 5mm active tip.

For those doing conventional RFA - what gauge, length and active tip are folks using? Just did one today using a 20g 10cm with 10mm active tip and felt like it took me too long. Thinking about asking the Medtronic rep for 22g 5cm with 5mm active tip.
lol wut?

Reactions: 3 users
No. Smaller burn is great on gasserian, but really nowhere else.

Curious, what part do you think took too long? How would a shorter cannula and or active tip help this? Keep in mind, Shorter cannula equals buying new set of shorter electrodes.

I should be clearer. I did the pedicle shadow version mentioned on this forum. Using a longer needle forced me to advance over longer areas of lung fields which is always a bit scary. I tend to stay too shallow and overshoot the pedicle forcing myself to readjust several times. My thought is a shorter cannula would help avoid this. As for a shorter active tip, the patient had small pedicles and about 1/4 of my 10mm active tip was off of the pedicle itself. Also concern for too large of a lesion causing superficial burns in thoracic spine.

I should be clearer. I did the pedicle shadow version mentioned on this forum. Using a longer needle forced me to advance over longer areas of lung fields which is always a bit scary. I tend to stay too shallow and overshoot the pedicle forcing myself to readjust several times. My thought is a shorter cannula would help avoid this. As for a shorter active tip, the patient had small pedicles and about 1/4 of my 10mm active tip was off of the pedicle itself. Also concern for too large of a lesion causing superficial burns in thoracic spine.
Pedicle shadow is over the spine. Lung field more than an inch laterally. Man up.

• Haha
Entry and trajectory is over lung fields. At least according to all the pics posted here.
Do it the way callmeanesthesia's graphic illustrated. You avoid the lung fields entirely and end up parallel to the course of the nerve. Sometimes I put just a couple degrees of contralateral oblique as well to help obtain a more shallow trajectory.

Here is a recent patient I did. Entry point is one level below the target pedicle. I'm never above lungs.

1676488998364.png

Reactions: 5 users
Still doesn't make sense. Needle length doesn't affect anything re lung fields. Trajectory is the same, just more needle sticking out of the skin with longer needle

Do it the way callmeanesthesia's graphic illustrated. You avoid the lung fields entirely and end up parallel to the course of the nerve. Sometimes I put just a couple degrees of contralateral oblique as well to help obtain a more shallow trajectory.
Definitely considering this now. Just concerned that by going parallel it would miss the nerve altogether given variability.

Definitely considering this now. Just concerned that by going parallel it would miss the nerve altogether given variability.
Stryker Venom probe makes 6cm^3 lesion, 1.8cm in any direction. Measure just how big that is on a radiograph and you'll realize that it's basically impossible not to get the nerve if you are somewhat close.