maximum time allowed between 2nd MBB and 1st RFA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After two successful Dx blocks, is there a maximum time allowed within which RFA has to be done? I have a patient in this situation, and we are holding off on RFA for a number of reasons, but wanting to know how long we can delay the RFA, without having to potential start over with MBB again, or do the RFA only to have it denied for payment. He has BCBS Commercial insurance. I do not see anything about this in BCBS medical policy or Medicare LCD.

Members don't see this ad.

Safe bet is 1 year, but if you’re going to wait > 3 months and especially > 6 months prior to submitting for auth for RFA i would bring the patient back for a clinic visit to document that their pain is unchanged (still axial, no radic, not SIJ, positive facet loading) to minimize the risk of denial

Reactions: 1 users
nothing is specifically stated in the LCD, but in my limited experiences, the MBBs were "valid" for a year - with an insurer much stricter than BCBS.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)