Techniques and Pearls for Bipolar Lumbar RFA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oneforfighting

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doing my first one next week. Any pearls? Looked at the Chapman paper and it doesn't look too bad.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I posted about a patient with a new micra pacemaker on this forum recently. Sent a clearance form to cardiology but didn’t receive any guidance. Lit search made it seem like a magnet wouldn’t help. So bipolar seems safest.

For bipolar, I only make one skin wheal and insert both needles at the same location. Makes it less painful and separating the two needles at the target area isn't a problem. I usually try to place one against the SAP junction and one on the TP about 5-10mm apart.

Intraarticular facet injections are allowed if there is a medical reason someone can't have the RF and having a pacemaker counts. That being said, I agree with Steve. In most of my patients, intraarticular steroids give them about 2-3 months relief. I also don't like to use intraarticular steroids if I can avoid them after seeing that steroids in knees actually worsen arthritis over time.

Reactions: 2 users