swiss to us DO, does it work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hansgullit

Pre-Med
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently looking into studying at the Ecole Suisse d'Osteopathie here in Switzerland and am wondering if anyone can tell me if the process of getting licensed in the US is the same as it is for Allopathic studies.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Osteopathic training outside of the US is not equivalent to the medical training in Osteopathic schools in the US. If you wish to practice in the US, you'll have to go to a US MD or DO school.

DrMom said:
Osteopathic training outside of the US is not equivalent to the medical training in Osteopathic schools in the US. If you wish to practice in the US, you'll have to go to a US MD or DO school.

Thanks DrMom.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrMom said:

Thanks DrMom. I thought the curriculum looked quite different here than what I'm seeing on most US university postings. Now the question is, do I wait 3-4 years while my wife finishes her studies here without studying myself? Any suggestions for someone who is determined to study osteopathic medicine in this situation?

DrMom said:
If you wish to practice in the US, you'll have to go to a US MD or DO school.

Or an MD school outside the US maybe ;)

Hansgullit said:
Thanks DrMom. I thought the curriculum looked quite different here than what I'm seeing on most US university postings. Now the question is, do I wait 3-4 years while my wife finishes her studies here without studying myself? Any suggestions for someone who is determined to study osteopathic medicine in this situation?
If you have Swiss citizenship, why not apply to a Swiss med school? They seem reasonably accessible to Swiss citizens and the training you receive would be excellent.

Don't be misled by the American term Doctor of Osteopathy or D.O. This title doesn't exist outside the US and is not the same as an ostéopathe.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.